Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Bcl2l1
Description: Bcl2-like 1
Alias: Bcl-xl, Bcl2l, Bclx, bcl-X, bcl-2-like protein 1, B cell lymphoma 2 like, B cell lymphoma like X, apoptosis regulator Bcl-X, bcl2-L-1
- Itoh T, Itoh A, Pleasure D. Bcl-2-related protein family gene expression during oligodendroglial differentiation. J Neurochem. 2003;85:1500-12 pubmed..These results provide basic information to guide further studies on the roles for Bcl-2-related family proteins in OLC death. ..
- Li H, Chen Y, Jones A, Sanger R, Collis L, FLANNERY R, et al. Bcl-xL induces Drp1-dependent synapse formation in cultured hippocampal neurons. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:2169-74 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that Bcl-xL positively regulates Drp1 to alter mitochondrial function in a manner that stimulates synapse formation. ..
- Miyawaki T, Mashiko T, Ofengeim D, Flannery R, Noh K, Fujisawa S, et al. Ischemic preconditioning blocks BAD translocation, Bcl-xL cleavage, and large channel activity in mitochondria of postischemic hippocampal neurons. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:4892-7 pubmed publisher..These findings implicate PI3K/Akt signaling in maintenance of the integrity of the mitochondrial outer membrane. ..
- Kumar S, Reusch H, Ladilov Y. Acidic pre-conditioning suppresses apoptosis and increases expression of Bcl-xL in coronary endothelial cells under simulated ischaemia. J Cell Mol Med. 2008;12:1584-92 pubmed..Over-expression of the anti apoptotic protein Bcl-xL is responsible for the increased resistance to apoptosis during ischaemic insult. ..
- Yang E, Zha J, Jockel J, Boise L, Thompson C, Korsmeyer S. Bad, a heterodimeric partner for Bcl-XL and Bcl-2, displaces Bax and promotes cell death. Cell. 1995;80:285-91 pubmed..The susceptibility of a cell to a death signal is determined by these competing dimerizations in which levels of Bad influence the effectiveness of Bcl-2 versus Bcl-xL in repressing death. ..
- Gurzov E, Germano C, Cunha D, Ortis F, Vanderwinden J, Marchetti P, et al. p53 up-regulated modulator of apoptosis (PUMA) activation contributes to pancreatic beta-cell apoptosis induced by proinflammatory cytokines and endoplasmic reticulum stress. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:19910-20 pubmed publisher..Our data support a hierarchical activation of BH3-only proteins controlling the intrinsic pathway of beta-cell apoptosis in the context of inflammation and type 1 diabetes. ..
- Kaufmann T, Schlipf S, Sanz J, Neubert K, Stein R, Borner C. Characterization of the signal that directs Bcl-x(L), but not Bcl-2, to the mitochondrial outer membrane. J Cell Biol. 2003;160:53-64 pubmed..These data define a new targeting sequence for the MOM and propose that Bcl-2 acts on several intracellular membranes whereas Bcl-x(L) specifically functions on the MOM. ..
- Gonzalez Garcia M, PEREZ BALLESTERO R, Ding L, Duan L, Boise L, Thompson C, et al. bcl-XL is the major bcl-x mRNA form expressed during murine development and its product localizes to mitochondria. Development. 1994;120:3033-42 pubmed..Based on its tissue and developmental patterns of expression, it appears that bcl-x may play an important role in the regulation of cell death during development and tissue homeostasis. ..
- Gonzalez Garcia M, Garcia I, Ding L, O SHEA S, Boise L, Thompson C, et al. bcl-x is expressed in embryonic and postnatal neural tissues and functions to prevent neuronal cell death. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1995;92:4304-8 pubmed..Thus, Bcl-x proteins appear to play an important role in the regulation of neuronal survival in the adult CNS. ..
- Gonzalez M, De Brasi C, Bianchini M, Gargallo P, Moiraghi B, Bengio R, et al. BAX/BCL-XL gene expression ratio inversely correlates with disease progression in chronic myeloid leukemia. Blood Cells Mol Dis. 2010;45:192-6 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that BAX/BCL-XL expression ratio may be a sensitive monitor of disease progression and an early predictor of TKI therapy responsiveness in CML patients. ..
- Mamidipudi V, Cartwright C. A novel pro-apoptotic function of RACK1: suppression of Src activity in the intrinsic and Akt pathways. Oncogene. 2009;28:4421-33 pubmed publisher..Thus, RACK1 inhibits growth and induces death of colon cells. Exploitation of these dual functions could lead to novel colon cancer therapies that mimic RACK1 function. ..
- Ospina A, Lagunas Martínez A, Pardo J, Carrodeguas J. Protein oligomerization mediated by the transmembrane carboxyl terminal domain of Bcl-XL. FEBS Lett. 2011;585:2935-42 pubmed publisher..We show here that this domain can by itself direct protein oligomerization, which could be related to its previously reported role in mitochondrial morphology alterations and apoptosis inhibition. ..
- Endo H, Saito A, Chan P. Mitochondrial translocation of p53 underlies the selective death of hippocampal CA1 neurons after global cerebral ischaemia. Biochem Soc Trans. 2006;34:1283-6 pubmed..These results suggest that the mitochondrial p53 pathway plays a role in delayed CA1 neuronal death after tGCI. ..
- Walensky L, Pitter K, Morash J, Oh K, Barbuto S, Fisher J, et al. A stapled BID BH3 helix directly binds and activates BAX. Mol Cell. 2006;24:199-210 pubmed..We further demonstrate that membrane targeting of stapled BID BH3 optimizes its ability to activate BAX, supporting a model in which BID directly engages BAX to trigger mitochondrial apoptosis. ..
- Roth K, Kuan C, Haydar T, D Sa Eipper C, Shindler K, Zheng T, et al. Epistatic and independent functions of caspase-3 and Bcl-X(L) in developmental programmed cell death. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2000;97:466-71 pubmed
- Simonishvili S, Jain M, Li H, Levison S, Wood T. Identification of Bax-interacting proteins in oligodendrocyte progenitors during glutamate excitotoxicity and perinatal hypoxia-ischemia. ASN Neuro. 2013;5:e00131 pubmed publisher..Cofilin and Bax associated in healthy OPCs, whereas the Bax-cofilin association was disrupted during glutamate-induced OPC apoptosis. ..
- Jafari Anarkooli I, Sankian M, Ahmadpour S, Varasteh A, Haghir H. Evaluation of Bcl-2 family gene expression and Caspase-3 activity in hippocampus STZ-induced diabetic rats. Exp Diabetes Res. 2008;2008:638467 pubmed publisher..001). Therefore, the induction of diabetes is associated with increased ratios of Bax/Bcl-2, Bax/Bcl-x(L), and increased caspase-3 activity in hippocampus which shows that apoptosis is favored in hippocampal region. ..
- Sung K, Odinokova I, Mareninova O, Rakonczay Z, Hegyi P, Pandol S, et al. Prosurvival Bcl-2 proteins stabilize pancreatic mitochondria and protect against necrosis in experimental pancreatitis. Exp Cell Res. 2009;315:1975-89 pubmed publisher..We conclude that Bcl-xL/Bcl-2 inhibition would aggravate acute pancreatitis, whereas Bcl-xL/Bcl-2 up-regulation presents a strategy to prevent or attenuate necrosis in pancreatitis. ..
- Qian Y, Xiao Q, Chen H, Xu J. Dexamethasone inhibits camptothecin-induced apoptosis in C6-glioma via activation of Stat5/Bcl-xL pathway. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2009;1793:764-71 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that DX's prevention from CAM-induced apoptosis and RU486's antagonism of DX's protection may be through Stat5/Bcl-xL signal pathway regulated by a GR. ..
- Qiu J, Nesic O, Ye Z, Rea H, Westlund K, Xu G, et al. Bcl-xL expression after contusion to the rat spinal cord. J Neurotrauma. 2001;18:1267-78 pubmed..We interpret these results as evidence that regulation of Bcl-xL may play a role in neural sparing after spinal injury and pain-signaling function. ..
- Koh P. Streptozotocin-induced diabetes increases the interaction of Bad/Bcl-XL and decreases the binding of pBad/14-3-3 in rat testis. Life Sci. 2007;81:1079-84 pubmed..Our findings suggest that streptozotocin-induced diabetes increases apoptotic cell death in testis tissue through the up-and down-regulation of Bcl-2 family proteins and the interaction of Bad and Bcl-X(L). ..
- Shimohama S, Fujimoto S, Sumida Y, Tanino H. Differential expression of rat brain bcl-2 family proteins in development and aging. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1998;252:92-6 pubmed..The present results suggest that the expression of each Bcl-2 family protein is differentially regulated during development and aging and that the changes in the senescent brains are different from those observed in AD. ..
- Dominov J, Houlihan Kawamoto C, Swap C, Miller J. Pro- and anti-apoptotic members of the Bcl-2 family in skeletal muscle: a distinct role for Bcl-2 in later stages of myogenesis. Dev Dyn. 2001;220:18-26 pubmed..Thus, Bcl-2 function is required for particular stages of fetal and postnatal myogenesis. ..
- Janumyan Y, Sansam C, Chattopadhyay A, Cheng N, Soucie E, Penn L, et al. Bcl-xL/Bcl-2 coordinately regulates apoptosis, cell cycle arrest and cell cycle entry. EMBO J. 2003;22:5459-70 pubmed..Our data suggest that cell cycle effects and increased survival both result from intrinsic functions of Bcl-2 and Bcl-x(L). ..
- Liu Y, Zhang X. Expression of cellular oncogene Bcl-xL prevents coronavirus-induced cell death and converts acute infection to persistent infection in progenitor rat oligodendrocytes. J Virol. 2005;79:47-56 pubmed..The data also suggest that direct virus-host cell interaction is one of the underlying mechanisms that regulate viral persistence in CNS cells. ..
- Silva M, Richard C, Benito A, Sanz C, Olalla I, Fernandez Luna J. Expression of Bcl-x in erythroid precursors from patients with polycythemia vera. N Engl J Med. 1998;338:564-71 pubmed..7+/-0.41 percent). Deregulated expression of Bcl-x may contribute to the erythropoietin-independent survival of erythroid-lineage cells in polycythemia vera and thereby contribute to the pathogenesis of this disease. ..
- Kaido T, Kempski O, Heimann A, Heers C, Bartsch D. Cluster analysis of mRNA expression levels identifies multiple sequential patterns following focal cerebral ischemia. Turk Neurosurg. 2012;22:441-7 pubmed publisher..We statistically classified the genes into three groups after focal ischemia. The genes of the early- and late-expression groups can be possible therapeutic targets for the treatment of cerebral ischemia. ..
- Kelly P, Grabow S, Delbridge A, Strasser A, Adams J. Endogenous Bcl-xL is essential for Myc-driven lymphomagenesis in mice. Blood. 2011;118:6380-6 pubmed publisher..These findings identify Bcl-x(L) as a prerequisite for the emergence of c-Myc-driven pre-B/B lymphoma and suggest that BH3 mimetic drugs may provide a prophylactic strategy for c-Myc-driven tumors. ..
- Ayaloglu Butun F, Terzioglu Kara E, Tokcaer Keskin Z, Akcali K. The effect of estrogen on bone marrow-derived rat mesenchymal stem cell maintenance: inhibiting apoptosis through the expression of Bcl-xL and Bcl-2. Stem Cell Rev. 2012;8:393-401 pubmed publisher..Therefore, estrogen treatment will be of great advantage for cell-based therapies in order to get more functional MSCs and may provide opportunities to develop new strategies for debilitating diseases. ..
- Wang Y, Xiao Z, Liu X, Berk M. Venlafaxine modulates depression-induced behaviour and the expression of Bax mRNA and Bcl-xl mRNA in both hippocampus and myocardium. Hum Psychopharmacol. 2011;26:95-101 pubmed publisher..This suggests that there are shared active biochemical pathways that may play a role in the process of neuroprogression that is seen in depression and cardiovascular disorders. ..
- Duan Z, Bradner J, Greenberg E, Mazitschek R, Foster R, Mahoney J, et al. 8-benzyl-4-oxo-8-azabicyclo[3.2.1]oct-2-ene-6,7-dicarboxylic acid (SD-1008), a novel janus kinase 2 inhibitor, increases chemotherapy sensitivity in human ovarian cancer cells. Mol Pharmacol. 2007;72:1137-45 pubmed..Finally, SD-1008 may be a suitable prototype for further chemical modification and exploration as a therapeutic agent. ..
- Panickar K, Nonner D, Barrett J. Overexpression of Bcl-xl protects septal neurons from prolonged hypoglycemia and from acute ischemia-like stress. Neuroscience. 2005;135:73-80 pubmed..Bcl-xl's protective effects may require an intact electron transport chain. ..
- Suzuki Y, Nagase H, Wong C, Kumar S, Jain V, Park A, et al. Regulation of Bcl-xL expression in lung vascular smooth muscle. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. 2007;36:678-87 pubmed..Thus, inducers of pulmonary hypertension enhance anti-apoptotic Bcl-x(L) gene transcription, which can be suppressed by targeting gata4 gene transcription. ..
- Cheng C, Juan S, Chen J, Chao Y, Chen H, Lian W, et al. Pravastatin attenuates carboplatin-induced cardiotoxicity via inhibition of oxidative stress associated apoptosis. Apoptosis. 2008;13:883-94 pubmed publisher..Therefore, pravastatin can be used as a cytoprotective agent prior to carboplatin chemotherapy. ..
- Lang Rollin I, Maniati M, Jabado O, Vekrellis K, Papantonis S, Rideout H, et al. Apoptosis and the conformational change of Bax induced by proteasomal inhibition of PC12 cells are inhibited by bcl-xL and bcl-2. Apoptosis. 2005;10:809-20 pubmed..Significantly, antiapoptotic bcl-2 family members prevent apoptosis by inhibiting Bax conformational change. Increased levels of Bim may contribute to cell death in this model. ..
- Bolenz C, Becker A, Trojan L, Schaaf A, Cao Y, Weiss C, et al. Optimizing chemotherapy for transitional cell carcinoma by application of bcl-2 and bcl-xL antisense oligodeoxynucleotides. Urol Oncol. 2007;25:476-82 pubmed..Further trials in ex vivo and in vivo models have to be performed to promote clinical application in patients. ..
- Lovekamp Swan T, Glendenning M, Schreihofer D. A high soy diet reduces programmed cell death and enhances bcl-xL expression in experimental stroke. Neuroscience. 2007;148:644-52 pubmed..Further, a high soy diet enhances expression of the cell survival factor bcl-x(L) following tMCAO, contributing to the neuroprotective effects of soy in the ischemic cortex. ..
- Du Y, Lewis B, Hanahan D, Varmus H. Assessing tumor progression factors by somatic gene transfer into a mouse model: Bcl-xL promotes islet tumor cell invasion. PLoS Biol. 2007;5:e276 pubmed..In addition, myosin Va was identified as a novel Bcl-xL-interacting protein that might mediate the effects of Bcl-xL on tumor cell migration and invasion. ..
- Cao G, Pei W, Ge H, Liang Q, Luo Y, Sharp F, et al. In Vivo Delivery of a Bcl-xL Fusion Protein Containing the TAT Protein Transduction Domain Protects against Ischemic Brain Injury and Neuronal Apoptosis. J Neurosci. 2002;22:5423-31 pubmed
- Harb J, Chyla B, Huettner C. Loss of Bcl-x in Ph+ B-ALL increases cellular proliferation and does not inhibit leukemogenesis. Blood. 2008;111:3760-9 pubmed publisher..Consistent with this result, overexpression of Bcl-xL led to decreased cellular proliferation. These models reveal an unexpected role for Bcl-xL in cell-cycle entry and the proliferation of tumor cells...
- Boudard D, Vasselon C, Berthéas M, Jaubert J, Mounier C, Reynaud J, et al. Expression and prognostic significance of Bcl-2 family proteins in myelodysplastic syndromes. Am J Hematol. 2002;70:115-25 pubmed..Our data confirm that the control of apoptosis is deregulated in MDS cells. Moreover, the study of markers such as CD34 (or Bcl-2), Bcl-xL, and Bcl-xS provides additional prognostic information. ..
- Ming L, Wang P, Bank A, Yu J, Zhang L. PUMA Dissociates Bax and Bcl-X(L) to induce apoptosis in colon cancer cells. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:16034-42 pubmed..Together, these results indicate that PUMA initiates apoptosis in part by dissociating Bax and Bcl-X(L), thereby promoting Bax multimerization and mitochondrial translocation. ..
- Zucchini N, De Sousa G, Bailly Maitre B, Gugenheim J, Bars R, Lemaire G, et al. Regulation of Bcl-2 and Bcl-xL anti-apoptotic protein expression by nuclear receptor PXR in primary cultures of human and rat hepatocytes. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2005;1745:48-58 pubmed..They also suggest that PXR may protect the liver against chemicals by simultaneously regulating detoxication and the apoptotic pathway. ..
- Racay P, Hatok J, Hudecek J, Chudej J, Jurecekova J, Dobrota D. Transcription of genes of p53-dependent apoptosis in acute leukaemia. Int J Mol Med. 2008;22:833-9 pubmed..In addition, transcription of hsp70.1 and Bcl-2 producing anti-apoptotic proteins was not affected in acute leukaemia. ..
- Casale F, Addeo R, D Angelo V, Indolfi P, Poggi V, Morgera C, et al. Determination of the in vivo effects of prednisone on Bcl-2 family protein expression in childhood acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Int J Oncol. 2003;22:123-8 pubmed..These data suggest a role of Bcl-xl in the mechanisms of protection of leukemic cells from apoptosis induced by glucocorticoids (GCs). ..
- Putcha G, Harris C, Moulder K, Easton R, Thompson C, Johnson E. Intrinsic and extrinsic pathway signaling during neuronal apoptosis: lessons from the analysis of mutant mice. J Cell Biol. 2002;157:441-53 pubmed..e., BID and BAD) do not contribute to BAX-dependent cyt c release or apoptosis caused by TFD. ..
- Chen M, Huang L, Shabier Z, Wang J. Regulation of the lifespan in dendritic cell subsets. Mol Immunol. 2007;44:2558-65 pubmed..Signaling from toll-like receptors (TLRs) up-regulated Bcl-xL and improved DC survival. Our data suggest that differential expression of apoptosis signaling molecules regulates the lifespan of different DC subsets. ..
- Huseby S, Gausdal G, Keen T, Kjærland E, Krakstad C, Myhren L, et al. Cyclic AMP induces IPC leukemia cell apoptosis via CRE-and CDK-dependent Bim transcription. Cell Death Dis. 2011;2:e237 pubmed publisher..Our findings support the notion that AML cells may possess targetable death pathways not exploited by common anti-cancer agents. ..
- Dong Z, Wang J. Hypoxia selection of death-resistant cells. A role for Bcl-X(L). J Biol Chem. 2004;279:9215-21 pubmed..These findings may have important implications for the development of solid tumors where hypoxia selects for death-resistant cells that are inert to cancer therapy. ..
- Sun W, Liang Z, Pei L. Propofol-induced rno-miR-665 targets BCL2L1 and influences apoptosis in rodent developing hippocampal astrocytes. Neurotoxicology. 2015;51:87-95 pubmed publisher..predicted putative binding sites for rno-miR-665 existing in the 3'-untranslated region of Bcl-2-like protein 1 BCL2L1 (Bcl-xl) mRNA. Moreover, such relationship was assessed by luciferase reporter assay, qRT-PCR and western blot...
- Ilchibaeva T, Tsybko A, Kozhemyakina R, Naumenko V. [Expression of apoptosis genes in the brain of rats with genetically defined fear-induced aggression]. Mol Biol (Mosk). 2016;50:814-820 pubmed..It is assumed that an increase in the Bcl-xl gene expression (accompanied by a decrease in the Bax gene expression) can indicate an increase in the threshold of neuronal apoptosis in highly aggressive rats. ..