Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Atp1b1
Description: ATPase Na+/K+ transporting subunit beta 1
Alias: ATPBS, sodium/potassium-transporting ATPase subunit beta-1, ATPase, Na+/K+ transporting, beta 1 polypeptide, Na,K-ATPase beta 1 subunit, sodium/potassium-dependent ATPase subunit beta-1
- Barwe S, Jordan M, Skay A, Inge L, Rajasekaran S, Wolle D, et al. Dysfunction of ouabain-induced cardiac contractility in mice with heart-specific ablation of Na,K-ATPase beta1-subunit. J Mol Cell Cardiol. 2009;47:552-60 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, our results demonstrate that Na,K-beta(1) plays an essential role in regulating cardiac contractility and that its loss is associated with significant pathophysiology of the heart. ..
- Mercer R, Schneider J, Savitz A, Emanuel J, Benz E, Levenson R. Rat-brain Na,K-ATPase beta-chain gene: primary structure, tissue-specific expression, and amplification in ouabain-resistant HeLa C+ cells. Mol Cell Biol. 1986;6:3884-90 pubmed..These results suggest that the beta-subunit plays an important role in Na,K-ATPase structure-function and in the mechanism underlying cellular resistance to the cardiac glycosides. ..
- Hu L, Kontrogianni Konstantopoulos A. The kinase domains of obscurin interact with intercellular adhesion proteins. FASEB J. 2013;27:2001-12 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our studies demonstrate that the obscurin kinase domains are enzymatically active and may be involved in the regulation of cell adhesion. ..
- Young R, Shull G, Lingrel J. Multiple mRNAs from rat kidney and brain encode a single Na+,K+-ATPase beta subunit protein. J Biol Chem. 1987;262:4905-10 pubmed..In the 3' untranslated region, comparison of the nucleotide sequence of the rat beta subunit cDNAs to those from other species reveals regions of high sequence similarity. ..
- Gorokhova S, Bibert S, Geering K, Heintz N. A novel family of transmembrane proteins interacting with beta subunits of the Na,K-ATPase. Hum Mol Genet. 2007;16:2394-410 pubmed..The neuronal expression of NKAIN proteins, their membrane localization and the temperature-sensitive paralysis of NKAIN Drosophila mutants strongly suggest that this novel protein family may be critical for neuronal function. ..
- Macphee D, Jones D, Barr K, Betts D, Watson A, Kidder G. Differential involvement of Na(+),K(+)-ATPase isozymes in preimplantation development of the mouse. Dev Biol. 2000;222:486-98 pubmed..Our findings imply that the regulation of sodium transport within the preimplantation mouse embryo is more complex than had been appreciated. ..
- Helwig B, Schreurs K, Hansen J, Hageman K, Zbreski M, McAllister R, et al. Training-induced changes in skeletal muscle Na+-K+ pump number and isoform expression in rats with chronic heart failure. J Appl Physiol (1985). 2003;94:2225-36 pubmed..This study demonstrates that CHF-induced alterations in skeletal muscle Na(+)-K(+)-ATPase, including B(max) and isoform expression, can be partially reversed by ET. ..
- Li J, Codina J, Petroske E, Werle M, Willingham M, Dubose T. The effect of beta-subunit assembly on function and localization of the colonic H+,K+-ATPase alpha-subunit. Kidney Int. 2004;66:1068-75 pubmed..Taken together, these and previous results from our laboratory indicate that beta(1)-Na(+),K(+)-ATPase is likely to represent the most physiologic and efficient subunit for HKalpha(2) assembly in distal colon. ..
- Shao Y, Ismail Beigi F. Control of Na+-K+-ATPase beta 1-subunit expression: role of 3'-untranslated region. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2004;286:C580-5 pubmed..The above results suggest that the 143-nt segment in the distal segment of the 3'-UTR of beta1 mRNA may play an important role in the control of beta1-subunit expression. ..
- Liu L, Askari A. Beta-subunit of cardiac Na+-K+-ATPase dictates the concentration of the functional enzyme in caveolae. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2006;291:C569-78 pubmed..Uneven distributions of alpha(1) and beta(1) in early and late endosomes of myocytes suggested different internalization routes of two subunits as a source of selective localization of active Na(+)-K(+)-ATPase in cardiac caveolae. ..
- Tokhtaeva E, Sachs G, Souda P, Bassilian S, Whitelegge J, Shoshani L, et al. Epithelial junctions depend on intercellular trans-interactions between the Na,K-ATPase ?? subunits. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:25801-12 pubmed publisher..Therefore, interactions between the ?? subunits of neighboring cells maintain integrity of intercellular junctions, and alterations in the ?? subunit N-glycan structure can regulate stability and tightness of intercellular junctions. ..
- Swarts H, Weigand K, Venselaar H, van den Maagdenberg A, Russel F, Koenderink J. Familial hemiplegic migraine mutations affect Na,K-ATPase domain interactions. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2013;1832:2173-9 pubmed publisher..Functional consequences were not observed for ATP1A2 mutations found in two sporadic hemiplegic migraine cases (Y9N and R879Q) and in migraine without aura (R51H and C702Y). ..
- Tokhtaeva E, Sachs G, Vagin O. Diverse pathways for maturation of the Na,K-ATPase ?1 and ?2 subunits in the endoplasmic reticulum of Madin-Darby canine kidney cells. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:39289-302 pubmed publisher..Folded ?(1) and ?(2) either assemble with ?(1) or bind BiP. The ?(1)-bound ? subunits traffic to the Golgi, whereas BiP-bound ? subunits are retained and degraded in the ER. ..
- Wild G, Searles L, Koski K, Drozdowski L, Begum Hasan J, Thomson A. Oral polyamine administration modifies the ontogeny of hexose transporter gene expression in the postnatal rat intestine. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2007;293:G453-60 pubmed..Thus, 3 days of oral polyamine administration induces the precocious maturation of glucose transporters in the postnatal rat small intestine, which may be mediated by alterations in ODC expression. ..
- Kasai K, Yamashita T, Yamaguchi A, Yoshiya K, Kawakita A, Tanaka H, et al. Induction of mRNAs and proteins for Na/K ATPase alpha1 and beta1 subunits following hypoxia/reoxygenation in astrocytes. Brain Res Mol Brain Res. 2003;110:38-44 pubmed..These findings suggest that Na/K ATPases may contribute to maintain the cellular environment of astrocytes subjected to hypoxia/reoxygenation. ..
- Figtree G, Liu C, Bibert S, Hamilton E, Garcia A, White C, et al. Reversible oxidative modification: a key mechanism of Na+-K+ pump regulation. Circ Res. 2009;105:185-93 pubmed publisher..These findings have implications for pathophysiological conditions characterized by neurohormonal dysregulation, myocardial oxidative stress and raised myocyte Na(+) levels...
- Yoshimura S, Iwasaka S, Schwarz W, Takeyasu K. Fast degradation of the auxiliary subunit of Na+/K+-ATPase in the plasma membrane of HeLa cells. J Cell Sci. 2008;121:2159-68 pubmed publisher..All these results indicate that the alpha- and beta-subunits of Na(+)/K(+)-ATPase are assembled in the endoplasmic reticulum, but are disassembled in the plasma membrane and undergo different degradation processes. ..
- Takiguchi Y, Sun G, Ogawa K, Matsunaga T. Long-lasting changes in the cochlear K+ recycling structures after acute energy failure. Neurosci Res. 2013;77:33-41 pubmed publisher..These results indicate long-lasting changes in the cochlear lateral wall and spiral limbus, which may compensate for damaged K(+) recycling and protect cells from ATP shortage. ..
- Li C, Crambert G, Thuillard D, Roy S, Schaer D, Geering K. Role of the transmembrane domain of FXYD7 in structural and functional interactions with Na,K-ATPase. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:42738-43 pubmed..These amino acids act in a synergistic way. These results highlight the important structural and functional role of the TM domain of FXYD7 and delineate the determinants that mediate the complex interactions of FXYD7 with Na,K-ATPase. ..