Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Asic1
Description: acid sensing ion channel subunit 1
Alias: Accn2, acid-sensing ion channel 1, BNaC2, acid-sensing (proton-gated) ion channel 1, amiloride-sensitive cation channel 2, neuronal, brain sodium channel 2, proton gated cation channel ASIC1
- Wemmie J, Chen J, Askwith C, Hruska Hageman A, Price M, Nolan B, et al. The acid-activated ion channel ASIC contributes to synaptic plasticity, learning, and memory. Neuron. 2002;34:463-77 pubmed..These results identify ASIC as a key component of acid-activated currents and implicate these currents in processes underlying synaptic plasticity, learning, and memory. ..
- Bassilana F, Champigny G, Waldmann R, De Weille J, Heurteaux C, Lazdunski M. The acid-sensitive ionic channel subunit ASIC and the mammalian degenerin MDEG form a heteromultimeric H+-gated Na+ channel with novel properties. J Biol Chem. 1997;272:28819-22 pubmed..Heteromultimeric assembly is probably used for creating a diversity of H+-gated cation channels acting as neuronal acid sensors in different pH ranges. ..
- Voilley N, De Weille J, Mamet J, Lazdunski M. Nonsteroid anti-inflammatory drugs inhibit both the activity and the inflammation-induced expression of acid-sensing ion channels in nociceptors. J Neurosci. 2001;21:8026-33 pubmed..These results suggest that the combined capacity to block COXs and inhibit both inflammation-induced expression and activity of ASICs present in nociceptors is an important factor in the action of NSAIDs against pain. ..
- Benson C, Xie J, Wemmie J, Price M, Henss J, Welsh M, et al. Heteromultimers of DEG/ENaC subunits form H+-gated channels in mouse sensory neurons. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2002;99:2338-43 pubmed..These data indicate that combinations of two or more DEG/ENaC subunits coassemble as heteromultimers to generate transient H(+)-gated currents in mouse DRG neurons. ..
- Alvarez de la Rosa D, Krueger S, Kolar A, Shao D, Fitzsimonds R, Canessa C. Distribution, subcellular localization and ontogeny of ASIC1 in the mammalian central nervous system. J Physiol. 2003;546:77-87 pubmedThe acid-sensitive ion channel ASIC1 is a proton-gated ion channel from the mammalian nervous system...
- Huda R, Pollema Mays S, Chang Z, Alheid G, McCrimmon D, Martina M. Acid-sensing ion channels contribute to chemosensitivity of breathing-related neurons of the nucleus of the solitary tract. J Physiol. 2012;590:4761-75 pubmed publisher..5 these currents were detected in all neurons tested; RT-PCR revealed expression of ASIC1 and, less abundantly, ASIC2 in the NTS...
- Wang H, Wang Y, Yang F, Li X, Tian Y, Ni M, et al. Effect of acid-sensing ion channel 1a on the process of liver fibrosis under hyperglycemia. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2015;468:758-65 pubmed publisher..These data indicate that ASIC1a plays an important role in diabetes complication liver fibrosis. ..
- Ugawa S, Ueda T, Takahashi E, Hirabayashi Y, Yoneda T, Komai S, et al. Cloning and functional expression of ASIC-beta2, a splice variant of ASIC-beta. Neuroreport. 2001;12:2865-9 pubmed..When expressed in Xenopus oocytes, ASIC-beta2 was inactive by itself. However, it associated with ASIC-beta to form heteromers, which display lower affinity for protons than ASIC-beta alone. ..
- Tan Z, Lu Y, Whiteis C, Simms A, Paton J, Chapleau M, et al. Chemoreceptor hypersensitivity, sympathetic excitation, and overexpression of ASIC and TASK channels before the onset of hypertension in SHR. Circ Res. 2010;106:536-45 pubmed publisher..Our results establish a novel molecular basis for increased chemotransduction that contributes to excessive sympathetic activity before the onset of hypertension. ..
- Wu F, Pan C, Rong C, Xia Q, Yuan F, Tang J, et al. Inhibition of acid-sensing ion channel 1a in hepatic stellate cells attenuates PDGF-induced activation of HSCs through MAPK pathway. Mol Cell Biochem. 2014;395:199-209 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our studies identified that ASIC1a was expressed in rat liver and HSCs and provided a strong evidence for the involvement of the ASIC1a in the progression of hepatic fibrosis. ..
- Donier E, Rugiero F, Okuse K, Wood J. Annexin II light chain p11 promotes functional expression of acid-sensing ion channel ASIC1a. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:38666-72 pubmed..Immunoprecipitation studies confirmed an interaction between p11 and ASIC1 in rat dorsal root ganglion neurons in vivo...
- Cho J, Askwith C. Presynaptic release probability is increased in hippocampal neurons from ASIC1 knockout mice. J Neurophysiol. 2008;99:426-41 pubmed..ASICs are expressed in neurons throughout the brain, and ASIC1 knockout mice show behavioral impairments in learning and memory...
- Kusama N, Harding A, Benson C. Extracellular chloride modulates the desensitization kinetics of acid-sensing ion channel 1a (ASIC1a). J Biol Chem. 2010;285:17425-31 pubmed publisher..Anion modulation of ASICs provides new insight into channel gating and may prove important in pathological brain conditions associated with changes in pH and Cl(-). ..
- Wang J, Wen C, Cui C, Xing Y. Effect of activation of the Ca(2+)-permeable acid-sensing ion channel 1a on focal cerebral ischemia in diabetic rats. Int J Clin Exp Pathol. 2015;8:13255-60 pubmed..ASIC1a expression and calcium currents were reduced in the DM + MCAO + fasudil group. The overload of intracellular [Ca(2+)] caused by ASIC1a activation could be one mechanism for the aggravation of focal cerebral ischemia in diabetes. ..
- Ettaiche M, Deval E, Cougnon M, Lazdunski M, Voilley N. Silencing acid-sensing ion channel 1a alters cone-mediated retinal function. J Neurosci. 2006;26:5800-9 pubmed
- Chen X, Kalbacher H, Grunder S. Interaction of acid-sensing ion channel (ASIC) 1 with the tarantula toxin psalmotoxin 1 is state dependent. J Gen Physiol. 2006;127:267-76 pubmed..For ASIC1b, PcTx1 binds most tightly to the open state, promoting opening, whereas for ASIC1a, it binds most tightly to the open and the desensitized state, promoting desensitization. ..
- Andrey F, Tsintsadze T, Volkova T, Lozovaya N, Krishtal O. Acid sensing ionic channels: modulation by redox reagents. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2005;1745:1-6 pubmed..Our results indicate that ASIC-like currents are susceptible to regulation by redox agents. ..
- Pidoplichko V, Aroniadou Anderjaska V, Prager E, Figueiredo T, Almeida Suhett C, Miller S, et al. ASIC1a activation enhances inhibition in the basolateral amygdala and reduces anxiety. J Neurosci. 2014;34:3130-41 pubmed publisher..Thus, in the rat BLA, ASIC1a has an inhibitory and anxiolytic function. The discovery of positive ASIC1a modulators may hold promise for the treatment of anxiety disorders. ..
- Jiang Q, Li M, Papasian C, Branigan D, Xiong Z, Wang J, et al. Characterization of acid-sensing ion channels in medium spiny neurons of mouse striatum. Neuroscience. 2009;162:55-66 pubmed publisher..ASIC currents were diminished in MSNs from ASIC1, but not ASIC2, null mice...
- Li T, Yang Y, Canessa C. Two residues in the extracellular domain convert a nonfunctional ASIC1 into a proton-activated channel. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2010;299:C66-73 pubmed publisher..We show here that the ASIC1 ortholog of an early vertebrate, lamprey ASIC1, does not respond to protons; however, only two amino acid ..
- Ohbuchi T, Sato K, Suzuki H, Okada Y, Dayanithi G, Murphy D, et al. Acid-sensing ion channels in rat hypothalamic vasopressin neurons of the supraoptic nucleus. J Physiol. 2010;588:2147-62 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that interaction between ASICs and La(-) in the SON plays an important role in the regulatory mechanism of body fluid homeostasis. ..
- Yuan F, Zhao M, Jiang D, Jin C, Liu H, XU M, et al. Involvement of acid-sensing ion channel 1a in matrix metabolism of endplate chondrocytes under extracellular acidic conditions through NF-ÎºB transcriptional activity. Cell Stress Chaperones. 2016;21:97-104 pubmed publisher..ASIC1a is involved in matrix metabolism of endplate chondrocytes under extracellular acidic conditions via NF-ÎºB transcriptional activity. ..
- Jernigan N, Herbert L, Walker B, Resta T. Chronic hypoxia upregulates pulmonary arterial ASIC1: a novel mechanism of enhanced store-operated Ca2+ entry and receptor-dependent vasoconstriction. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2012;302:C931-40 pubmed publisherAcid-sensing ion channel 1 (ASIC1) is a newly characterized contributor to store-operated Ca(2+) entry (SOCE) in pulmonary vascular smooth muscle (VSM)...
- Li X, Fei J, Lei Z, Liu K, Wu J, Meng T, et al. Chloroquine impairs visual transduction via modulation of acid sensing ion channel 1a. Toxicol Lett. 2014;228:200-6 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results demonstrate that chloroquine affects vision conduction by directly modifying the kinetics of ASIC1a. Such a mechanism, may, in part, explain the retinal toxicity of chloroquine. ..
- Dorofeeva N, Karpushev A, Nikolaev M, Bolshakov K, Stockand J, Staruschenko A. Muscarinic M1 modulation of acid-sensing ion channels. Neuroreport. 2009;20:1386-91 pubmed publisher..Thus, the current study identifies ASIC1a as a novel target for muscarinic signaling. ..
- Herrera Y, Katnik C, Rodriguez J, Hall A, Willing A, Pennypacker K, et al. sigma-1 receptor modulation of acid-sensing ion channel a (ASIC1a) and ASIC1a-induced Ca2+ influx in rat cortical neurons. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2008;327:491-502 pubmed publisher..The ability to control ionic imbalances and Ca2+ dysregulation evoked by ASIC1a activation makes sigma receptors an attractive target for ischemic stroke therapy. ..
- Li T, Yang Y, Canessa C. Interaction of the aromatics Tyr-72/Trp-288 in the interface of the extracellular and transmembrane domains is essential for proton gating of acid-sensing ion channels. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:4689-94 pubmed publisher..We propose that such interaction may provide functional coupling between the extracellular domain and the pore domain. ..
- Alvarez de la Rosa D, Zhang P, Shao D, White F, Canessa C. Functional implications of the localization and activity of acid-sensitive channels in rat peripheral nervous system. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2002;99:2326-31 pubmed..We have raised specific antibodies for ASIC1, ASIC2, ASIC3, and ASIC4 to examine the distribution of these proteins in neurons from dorsal root ganglia (DRG) ..
- Wu H, Wang C, Liu B, Li H, Zhang Y, Dong S, et al. Altered Expression Pattern of Acid-Sensing Ion Channel Isoforms in Piriform Cortex After Seizures. Mol Neurobiol. 2016;53:1782-1793 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that ASICs may enhance susceptibility to epileptogenesis in the PC. Inhibition of ASICs, particularly ASIC2a, may suppress seizures originating in the PC. ..
- Li X, Xu R, Jiang D, He X, Jin C, Lu W, et al. Acid-sensing ion channel 1a is involved in acid-induced osteoclastogenesis by regulating activation of the transcription factor NFATc1. FEBS Lett. 2013;587:3236-42 pubmed publisher..These findings show that ASIC1a-mediated calcium entry plays a critical role in osteoclastogenesis by regulating activation of the NFATc1. ..
- Huque T, Cowart B, Dankulich Nagrudny L, Pribitkin E, Bayley D, Spielman A, et al. Sour ageusia in two individuals implicates ion channels of the ASIC and PKD families in human sour taste perception at the anterior tongue. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e7347 pubmed publisher..This is the first report of sour ageusia in humans, and the very existence of such individuals ("natural knockouts") suggests a cell lineage for sour that is independent of the other taste modalities. ..
- Mourier G, Salinas M, Kessler P, Stura E, Leblanc M, Tepshi L, et al. Mambalgin-1 Pain-relieving Peptide, Stepwise Solid-phase Synthesis, Crystal Structure, and Functional Domain for Acid-sensing Ion Channel 1a Inhibition. J Biol Chem. 2016;291:2616-29 pubmed publisher..These data provide information on the structure and on the pharmacophore for ASIC channel inhibition by mambalgins that could have therapeutic value against pain and probably other neurological disorders. ..
- Song N, Zhang G, Geng W, Liu Z, Jin W, Li L, et al. Acid sensing ion channel 1 in lateral hypothalamus contributes to breathing control. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e39982 pubmed publisher..Among six subunits of ASICs, ASIC1 is mainly expressed in the central nervous system...
- Dawson R, Benz J, Stohler P, Tetaz T, Joseph C, Huber S, et al. Structure of the acid-sensing ion channel 1 in complex with the gating modifier Psalmotoxin 1. Nat Commun. 2012;3:936 pubmed publisher..Our results provide a general concept for gating modifier toxin binding suggesting that both surface motifs are required to modify the gating characteristics of an ion channel. ..
- Chai S, Li M, Lan J, Xiong Z, Saugstad J, Simon R. A kinase-anchoring protein 150 and calcineurin are involved in regulation of acid-sensing ion channels ASIC1a and ASIC2a. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:22668-77 pubmed
- Kawamata T, Ninomiya T, Toriyabe M, Yamamoto J, Niiyama Y, Omote K, et al. Immunohistochemical analysis of acid-sensing ion channel 2 expression in rat dorsal root ganglion and effects of axotomy. Neuroscience. 2006;143:175-87 pubmed..These results show that ASIC2 is expressed in the distinct neurochemical population of sensory neurons as well as satellite cells, and that peripheral axotomy induced marked reductions in ASIC2 in neurons. ..
- Herbert L, Nitta C, Yellowhair T, Browning C, Gonzalez Bosc L, Resta T, et al. PICK1/calcineurin suppress ASIC1-mediated Ca2+ entry in rat pulmonary arterial smooth muscle cells. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2016;310:C390-400 pubmed publisherAcid-sensing ion channel 1 (ASIC1) contributes to Ca(2+) influx and contraction in pulmonary arterial smooth muscle cells (PASMC)...
- Salinas M, Besson T, Delettre Q, Diochot S, Boulakirba S, Douguet D, et al. Binding site and inhibitory mechanism of the mambalgin-2 pain-relieving peptide on acid-sensing ion channel 1a. J Biol Chem. 2014;289:13363-73 pubmed publisher..These data help to understand inhibition by mambalgins and provide clues for the development of new optimized blockers of ASIC channels. ..
- Quintana P, Soto D, Poirot O, Zonouzi M, Kellenberger S, Muller D, et al. Acid-sensing ion channel 1a drives AMPA receptor plasticity following ischaemia and acidosis in hippocampal CA1 neurons. J Physiol. 2015;593:4373-86 pubmed publisher..We thus propose that ASIC1a activation can drive certain forms of CP-AMPAR plasticity, and that inhibiting ASIC1a affords neuroprotection. ..
- Popov O, Bashkirova V, Sidorov V. [Value and place of a roentgenological method in complex diagnosis of colonic cancer]. Vestn Rentgenol Radiol. 1978;:35-40 pubmed
- Liang J, Huang L, Chen X, Pan S, Lu Z, Xiao Z. Amiloride suppresses pilocarpine-induced seizures via ASICs other than NHE in rats. Int J Clin Exp Pathol. 2015;8:14507-13 pubmed..While NHE mRNA expression in the SE groups showed no significant difference. Amiloride inhibited pilocarpine-induced SE and the anti-epileptic mechanism was associated with deactivation of the ASIC1a and ASIC3 instead of NHE in rats. ..
- Chen X, Grunder S. Permeating protons contribute to tachyphylaxis of the acid-sensing ion channel (ASIC) 1a. J Physiol. 2007;579:657-70 pubmed..A deeper understanding of ASIC1a tachyphylaxis may lead to pharmacological control of ASIC1a activity that could be of potential benefit for the treatment of stroke. ..
- Jernigan N, Paffett M, Walker B, Resta T. ASIC1 contributes to pulmonary vascular smooth muscle store-operated Ca(2+) entry. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2009;297:L271-85 pubmed publisher..was assessed by the use of the ASIC inhibitors, amiloride, benzamil, and psalmotoxin 1, or siRNA directed towards ASIC1, ASIC2, or ASIC3 isoforms...
- Zhang Y, Zhou L, Zhang X, Bai J, Shi M, Zhao G. Ginsenoside-Rd attenuates TRPM7 and ASIC1a but promotes ASIC2a expression in rats after focal cerebral ischemia. Neurol Sci. 2012;33:1125-31 pubmed publisher..Thus, our results suggest that GS-Rd neuroprotection following cerebral ischemia may be at least due to its effects on the expression of TRPM7, ASIC1a and ASIC2a. ..
- Chu X, Wemmie J, Wang W, Zhu X, Saugstad J, Price M, et al. Subunit-dependent high-affinity zinc inhibition of acid-sensing ion channels. J Neurosci. 2004;24:8678-89 pubmed..Our studies suggest that Zn2+ may play an important role in a negative feedback system for preventing overexcitation of neurons during normal synaptic transmission and ASIC1a-mediated excitotoxicity in pathological conditions. ..
- Li X, Wu F, Xu R, Hu W, Jiang D, Ji C, et al. Acid-sensing ion channel 1a-mediated calcium influx regulates apoptosis of endplate chondrocytes in intervertebral discs. Expert Opin Ther Targets. 2014;18:1-14 pubmed publisher..However, little is known about the role of ASIC1a in endplate chondrocytes in intervertebral discs (IVDs)...
- Wang Y, Li W, Wu Y, Yin Y, Dong L, Chen Z, et al. Acid-sensing ion channel 1a contributes to the effect of extracellular acidosis on NLRP1 inflammasome activation in cortical neurons. J Neuroinflammation. 2015;12:246 pubmed publisher..Our data showed that NLRP1 inflammasome could be activated by extracellular acidosis though ASIC-BK channel K(+) signal pathway and was involved in extracellular acidosis-induced cortical neuronal injury. ..
- Miao Y, Zhang W, Lin Y, Lu X, Qiu Y. Neuroprotective effects of ischemic preconditioning on global brain ischemia through up-regulation of acid-sensing ion channel 2a. Int J Mol Sci. 2010;11:140-53 pubmed publisher..01). These findings implicate a new role of ASIC 2a on endogenous neuroprotection from ischemic insult. ..
- Yu X, Hu Z, Ni M, Fang P, Zhang P, Shu Q, et al. Acid-sensing ion channels promote the inflammation and migration of cultured rat microglia. Glia. 2015;63:483-96 pubmed publisher..quantitative real-time PCR (qPCR), western blotting, and immunofluorescence experiments, we demonstrated that ASIC1, ASIC2a, and ASIC3 were existed in cultured and in situ rat microglia...
- Kapoor N, Lee W, Clark E, Bartoszewski R, McNicholas C, Latham C, et al. Interaction of ASIC1 and ENaC subunits in human glioma cells and rat astrocytes. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2011;300:C1246-59 pubmed publisher..To test the hypothesis that ASIC1 interacts with ?ENaC and ?ENaC at the cellular level, we have used total internal reflection fluorescence ..
- Li T, Yang Y, Canessa C. Asn415 in the beta11-beta12 linker decreases proton-dependent desensitization of ASIC1. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:31285-91 pubmed publisherNeurons of the mammalian nervous system express the proton-sensing ion channel ASIC1. Low concentrations of protons in the normal range of extracellular pH, pH 7.4-7...
- Dorofeeva N, Barygin O, Staruschenko A, Bolshakov K, Magazanik L. Mechanisms of non-steroid anti-inflammatory drugs action on ASICs expressed in hippocampal interneurons. J Neurochem. 2008;106:429-41 pubmed publisher..The reason for this shift was slowing down the recovery from desensitization of ASICs. Thus, diclofenac may serve as a neuroprotective agent during pathological conditions associated with acidification. ..
- Coric T, Zhang P, Todorovic N, Canessa C. The extracellular domain determines the kinetics of desensitization in acid-sensitive ion channel 1. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:45240-7 pubmed..Hallmarks of ASIC1alpha are gating by external protons and rapid desensitization. In sensory neurons ASIC1 may constitute a nociceptor for pain induced by local acidification, whereas in central neurons it may modulate ..
- Paukert M, Babini E, Pusch M, Grunder S. Identification of the Ca2+ blocking site of acid-sensing ion channel (ASIC) 1: implications for channel gating. J Gen Physiol. 2004;124:383-94 pubmed..These results show that channel block by Ca2+ and H+ gating are not intrinsically linked. ..
- Saez N, Deplazes E, Cristofori Armstrong B, Chassagnon I, Lin X, Mobli M, et al. Molecular dynamics and functional studies define a hot spot of crystal contacts essential for PcTx1 inhibition of acid-sensing ion channel 1a. Br J Pharmacol. 2015;172:4985-95 pubmed publisher..loop; conclusions confirmed by recent crystal structures of the complex formed between PcTx1 and chicken ASIC1 (cASIC1)...
- Omori M, Yokoyama M, Matsuoka Y, Kobayashi H, Mizobuchi S, Itano Y, et al. Effects of selective spinal nerve ligation on acetic acid-induced nociceptive responses and ASIC3 immunoreactivity in the rat dorsal root ganglion. Brain Res. 2008;1219:26-31 pubmed publisher..01) the proportion of large ASIC3-ir neurons compared to proportions in sham-operated animals. These findings suggest that ASIC3 is associated with hyperalgesia in response to a chemical stimulus in the L5 SNL rat model. ..
- Chai S, Li M, Branigan D, Xiong Z, Simon R. Activation of acid-sensing ion channel 1a (ASIC1a) by surface trafficking. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:13002-11 pubmed publisher..These results reveal an important trafficking mechanism of ASIC1a that is relevant to both the normal physiology and the pathological activity of this channel. ..
- Tan Z, Lu Y, Whiteis C, Benson C, Chapleau M, Abboud F. Acid-sensing ion channels contribute to transduction of extracellular acidosis in rat carotid body glomus cells. Circ Res. 2007;101:1009-19 pubmed..In addition, ASIC1 and ASIC3 were shown to be expressed in rat carotid body by quantitative PCR and immunohistochemistry...
- Grifoni S, Jernigan N, Hamilton G, Drummond H. ASIC proteins regulate smooth muscle cell migration. Microvasc Res. 2008;75:202-10 pubmed..We used RT-PCR and immunolabeling to determine expression of ASIC1, ASIC2, ASIC3 and ASIC4 in A10 cells...
- Lin Y, Liu Y, Huang Y, Lien C. High-density expression of Ca2+-permeable ASIC1a channels in NG2 glia of rat hippocampus. PLoS ONE. 2010;5: pubmed publisher..Thus the acid chemosensor, the ASIC1a channel, may serve for inducing membrane depolarization and Ca2+ influx, thereby playing a crucial role in the NG2 cell response to injury following ischemia. ..
- Filipiuk J, Michalska Trenkner E, Stozkowska W. [Effectiveness of ointment and cream containing silver salt of sulfathiazole in the treatment of leg ulcer]. Pol Tyg Lek. 1978;33:1153-6 pubmed