Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Arrb1
Description: arrestin, beta 1
Alias: BARRES, beta-arrestin-1
- Ge L, Ly Y, Hollenberg M, DeFea K. A beta-arrestin-dependent scaffold is associated with prolonged MAPK activation in pseudopodia during protease-activated receptor-2-induced chemotaxis. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:34418-26 pubmed
- Kim J, Ahn S, Rajagopal K, Lefkowitz R. Independent beta-arrestin2 and Gq/protein kinase Czeta pathways for ERK stimulated by angiotensin type 1A receptors in vascular smooth muscle cells converge on transactivation of the epidermal growth factor receptor. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:11953-62 pubmed publisher
- Komori N, Neal J, Cain S, Logan J, Wirsig C, Miller K. Presence of beta-arrestin-1 immunoreactivity in the cutaneous nerve fibers of rat glabrous skin. Brain Res. 2003;988:121-9 pubmed..Our observations thus indicate that betaArr1 may be involved in modulation of specific tactile stimulation from the skin in addition to nociception. ..
- Vinge L, Øie E, Andersson Y, Grøgaard H, Andersen G, Attramadal H. Myocardial distribution and regulation of GRK and beta-arrestin isoforms in congestive heart failure in rats. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2001;281:H2490-9 pubmed..Conversely, the cellular distribution of GRK3 and GRK5 implicates these isoforms as putative regulators of cardiac myocyte function...
- Dent M, Tappia P, Dhalla N. Gender related alterations of ?-adrenoceptor mechanisms in heart failure due to arteriovenous fistula. J Cell Physiol. 2012;227:3080-7 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, estrogen appears to play an important role in the upregulation of ?-AR mechanisms and the maintenance of cardiac function in AV-shunt females. ..
- Lyubarsky A, Lem J, Chen J, Falsini B, Iannaccone A, Pugh E. Functionally rodless mice: transgenic models for the investigation of cone function in retinal disease and therapy. Vision Res. 2002;42:401-15 pubmed..The desensitizing effect of the 530 nm background on UV-pigment driven responses provides new evidence in support of the hypothesis of functional co-expression of the M-pigment in cones expressing primarily the UV-pigment. ..
- Sood R, Ritov G, Richter Levin G, Barki Harrington L. Selective increase in the association of the ?2 adrenergic receptor, ? Arrestin-1 and p53 with Mdm2 in the ventral hippocampus one month after underwater trauma. Behav Brain Res. 2013;240:26-8 pubmed publisher..Our results provide support for the idea that stress-related events may result in biochemical changes restricted to the ventral 'emotion-related' parts of the hippocampus. ..
- Ahmed M, Zhan X, Song X, Kook S, Gurevich V, Gurevich E. Ubiquitin ligase parkin promotes Mdm2-arrestin interaction but inhibits arrestin ubiquitination. Biochemistry. 2011;50:3749-63 pubmed publisher..Parkin binding to arrestins along with its effects on arrestin interaction with Mdm2 and ubiquitination is a novel function of this protein with implications for Parkinson's disease pathology. ..
- Zhou P, Fan H, Hu H, Tang Q, Liu X, Zhang L, et al. Role of DOR-?-arrestin1-Bcl2 signal transduction pathway and intervention effects of oxymatrine in ulcerative colitis. J Huazhong Univ Sci Technolog Med Sci. 2014;34:815-820 pubmed publisher..Moreover, oxymatrine can attenuate the development of UC by regulating the DOR-?-arrestin1-Bcl-2 signal transduction pathway. ..
- Jia J, Zeng X, Zhou X, Li Y, Bai J. The induction of thioredoxin-1 by epinephrine withdraws stress via interaction with Î²-arrestin-1. Cell Cycle. 2014;13:3121-31 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our data suggest that Trx-1/Î²-arrestin-1 interaction may represent a novel endogenous mechanism on protecting against stress. ..
- Quoyer J, Longuet C, Broca C, Linck N, Costes S, Varin E, et al. GLP-1 mediates antiapoptotic effect by phosphorylating Bad through a beta-arrestin 1-mediated ERK1/2 activation in pancreatic beta-cells. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:1989-2002 pubmed publisher..Such signaling mechanism may serve as a prototype to generate new therapeutic GLP-1R ligands. ..
- Barnes W, Reiter E, Violin J, Ren X, Milligan G, Lefkowitz R. beta-Arrestin 1 and Galphaq/11 coordinately activate RhoA and stress fiber formation following receptor stimulation. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:8041-50 pubmed
- Perry S, Baillie G, Kohout T, McPhee I, Magiera M, Ang K, et al. Targeting of cyclic AMP degradation to beta 2-adrenergic receptors by beta-arrestins. Science. 2002;298:834-6 pubmed
- Kang J, Shi Y, Xiang B, Qu B, Su W, Zhu M, et al. A nuclear function of beta-arrestin1 in GPCR signaling: regulation of histone acetylation and gene transcription. Cell. 2005;123:833-47 pubmed
- Marion S, Kara E, Crepieux P, Piketty V, Martinat N, Guillou F, et al. G protein-coupled receptor kinase 2 and beta-arrestins are recruited to FSH receptor in stimulated rat primary Sertoli cells. J Endocrinol. 2006;190:341-50 pubmed..This FSH-R interaction with beta-arrestins was sustained for up to 30 min. In conclusion, our data strongly suggest that the GRK/beta-arrestin machinery plays a physiologically relevant role in the regulation of the FSH signaling. ..
- Zakrzewicz A, Krasteva G, Wilhelm J, Dietrich H, Wilker S, Padberg W, et al. Reduced expression of arrestin beta 2 by graft monocytes during acute rejection of rat kidneys. Immunobiology. 2011;216:854-61 pubmed publisher..Intravascular mononuclear graft leukocytes were isolated 4 days after kidney transplantation. ARRB1 and ARRB2 mRNA expression was reduced in blood leukocytes from allografts undergoing acute rejection, whereas on ..
- Zoudilova M, Kumar P, Ge L, Wang P, Bokoch G, DeFea K. Beta-arrestin-dependent regulation of the cofilin pathway downstream of protease-activated receptor-2. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:20634-46 pubmed..These findings identify cofilin as a novel target of beta-arrestin-dependent scaffolding and suggest that many PAR-2-induced processes may be independent of Galpha(q/11) protein coupling. ..
- MacKenzie K, Wallace D, Hill E, Anthony D, Henderson D, Houslay D, et al. Phosphorylation of cAMP-specific PDE4A5 (phosphodiesterase-4A5) by MK2 (MAPKAPK2) attenuates its activation through protein kinase A phosphorylation. Biochem J. 2011;435:755-69 pubmed publisher..Long PDE4 isoforms thus provide a novel node for cross-talk between the cAMP and p38 MAPK signalling systems at the level of MK2. ..
- Venkatesha R, Ahamed J, Nuesch C, Zaidi A, Ali H. Platelet-activating factor-induced chemokine gene expression requires NF-kappaB activation and Ca2+/calcineurin signaling pathways. Inhibition by receptor phosphorylation and beta-arrestin recruitment. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:44606-12 pubmed..However, receptor phosphorylation and beta-arrestin recruitment inhibit CCL2 production by blocking both NF-kappaB activation and Ca2+/calcineurin-dependent signaling pathways. ..
- McDonald P, Cote N, Lin F, Premont R, Pitcher J, Lefkowitz R. Identification of NSF as a beta-arrestin1-binding protein. Implications for beta2-adrenergic receptor regulation. J Biol Chem. 1999;274:10677-80 pubmed
- Wang Y, Tang Y, Teng L, Wu Y, Zhao X, Pei G. Association of beta-arrestin and TRAF6 negatively regulates Toll-like receptor-interleukin 1 receptor signaling. Nat Immunol. 2006;7:139-47 pubmed..Thus, beta-arrestins are essential negative regulators of innate immune activation via TLR-IL-1R signaling. ..
- Wong A, Abrams M, Micevych P. Î²-arrestin regulates estradiol membrane-initiated signaling in hypothalamic neurons. PLoS ONE. 2015;10:e0120530 pubmed publisher..arrestin-1 (Arrb1) was found in the ARH and in N-38 neurons...
- Barki Harrington L, Rockman H. Beta-arrestins: multifunctional cellular mediators. Physiology (Bethesda). 2008;23:17-22 pubmed publisher..This review explores the many functions of beta-arrestins, with an emphasis on their recently identified role as regulators of receptor signaling. ..
- Kendall R, Lee M, Pleasant D, Robinson K, Kuppuswamy D, McDermott P, et al. Arrestin-dependent angiotensin AT1 receptor signaling regulates Akt and mTor-mediated protein synthesis. J Biol Chem. 2014;289:26155-66 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that in vivo, arrestin pathway-selective AT1 receptor agonists may promote cell growth or hypertrophy through arrestin-mediated mechanisms despite their antagonism of G protein signaling. ..
- Das M, Ghosh M, Das S. Thyroid Hormone-Induced Differentiation of Astrocytes is Associated with Transcriptional Upregulation of Î²-arrestin-1 and Î²-adrenergic Receptor-Mediated Endosomal Signaling. Mol Neurobiol. 2016;53:5178-90 pubmed publisher..Observations suggest that TH upregulate Î²-arrestin-1 in astrocytes to facilitate endocytosis of Î²2-AR, required for endosomal ERK activation to drive the differentiation process. ..
- Lee C, Bhatt S, Shukla A, Desnoyer R, Yadav S, Kim M, et al. Site-specific cleavage of G protein-coupled receptor-engaged beta-arrestin. Influence of the AT1 receptor conformation on scissile site selection. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:21612-20 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that beta-arrestin cleavage upon AT(1)R stimulation is a part of the unraveling beta-arrestin-mediated G protein-coupled receptor signaling diversity. ..
- Mishra S, Keyel P, Edeling M, Dupin A, Owen D, Traub L. Functional dissection of an AP-2 beta2 appendage-binding sequence within the autosomal recessive hypercholesterolemia protein. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:19270-80 pubmed..We suggested that biased beta subunit engagement by ARH and the only other beta2 appendage selective adaptor, beta-arrestin, promotes efficient incorporation of this mechanistically distinct subset of CLASPs into clathrin-coated buds. ..
- Dalle S, Imamura T, Rose D, Worrall D, Ugi S, Hupfeld C, et al. Insulin induces heterologous desensitization of G-protein-coupled receptor and insulin-like growth factor I signaling by downregulating beta-arrestin-1. Mol Cell Biol. 2002;22:6272-85 pubmed
- Shukla A, Kim J, Ahn S, Xiao K, Shenoy S, Liedtke W, et al. Arresting a transient receptor potential (TRP) channel: beta-arrestin 1 mediates ubiquitination and functional down-regulation of TRPV4. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:30115-25 pubmed publisher..Thus, our data provide the first evidence of a functional link between ?-arrestins and TRPV4 and uncovers an entirely novel mechanism to maintain appropriate intracellular Ca(2+) concentration to avoid excessive Ca(2+) signaling. ..
- Puca L, Chastagner P, Meas Yedid V, Israel A, Brou C. ?-arrestin 1 (ARRDC1) and ?-arrestins cooperate to mediate Notch degradation in mammals. J Cell Sci. 2013;126:4457-68 pubmed publisher..Our data show for the first time that ARRDC1 and ?-arrestins heterodimerize and cooperate in the same complex to promote non-activated Notch receptor degradation, thus acting as negative regulators of Notch signaling. ..
- Shukla A, Manglik A, Kruse A, Xiao K, Reis R, Tseng W, et al. Structure of active ?-arrestin-1 bound to a G-protein-coupled receptor phosphopeptide. Nature. 2013;497:137-41 pubmed publisher..These results reveal, at high resolution, a receptor-interacting interface on ?-arrestin, and they indicate a potentially general molecular mechanism for activation of these multifunctional signalling and regulatory proteins. ..
- Li B, Wang C, Zhou Z, Zhao J, Pei G. ?-Arrestin-1 directly interacts with G?s and regulates its function. FEBS Lett. 2013;587:410-6 pubmed publisher..Arrestin-1 L33K mutant shows reduced interaction with G?(s) and has no detectable effects on G?(s) function. Our study thus reveals a direct crosstalk of ?-arrestin-1 with G?(s). ..
- Dorn G. GRK mythology: G-protein receptor kinases in cardiovascular disease. J Mol Med (Berl). 2009;87:455-63 pubmed publisher..Here, recent developments are reviewed, with an emphasis on novel GRK functions and signaling pathways. ..
- Hara M, Kovacs J, Whalen E, Rajagopal S, Strachan R, Grant W, et al. A stress response pathway regulates DNA damage through ?2-adrenoreceptors and ?-arrestin-1. Nature. 2011;477:349-53 pubmed publisher..In mice and in human cell lines, ?-arrestin-1 (ARRB1), activated via ?(2)-adrenoreceptors, facilitates AKT-mediated activation of MDM2 and also promotes MDM2 binding ..
- Usui I, Imamura T, Huang J, Satoh H, Shenoy S, Lefkowitz R, et al. beta-arrestin-1 competitively inhibits insulin-induced ubiquitination and degradation of insulin receptor substrate 1. Mol Cell Biol. 2004;24:8929-37 pubmed
- Lymperopoulos A, Rengo G, Zincarelli C, Kim J, Koch W. Adrenal beta-arrestin 1 inhibition in vivo attenuates post-myocardial infarction progression to heart failure and adverse remodeling via reduction of circulating aldosterone levels. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2011;57:356-65 pubmed publisher..Adrenal ?arr1 inhibition, either directly or with AT?R "biased" antagonists that prevent receptor-?arr1 coupling, might be of therapeutic value for curbing HF-exacerbating hyperaldosteronism. ..
- Liao Y, Fan H, Chen X. [Pathogenetic mechanism of beta-arrestin1 in experimental colitis of rats and intervention effects of oxymatrine]. Zhongguo Zhong Xi Yi Jie He Za Zhi. 2010;30:1067-72 pubmed..Oxymatrine can intervene the signal transduction, which may be one of the mechanisms of oxymatrine in attenuating colitis in rats. ..
- Chen W, Hu L, Semenov M, Yanagawa S, Kikuchi A, Lefkowitz R, et al. beta-Arrestin1 modulates lymphoid enhancer factor transcriptional activity through interaction with phosphorylated dishevelled proteins. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2001;98:14889-94 pubmed
- Shenoy S, Lefkowitz R. Angiotensin II-stimulated signaling through G proteins and beta-arrestin. Sci STKE. 2005;2005:cm14 pubmed
- Marion S, Fralish G, Laporte S, Caron M, Barak L. N-terminal tyrosine modulation of the endocytic adaptor function of the beta-arrestins. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:18937-44 pubmed..Additionally, these naturally occurring variations in beta-arrestins may also differentially regulate the composition of the signaling complexes organized on the receptor. ..
- Kroeger K, Hanyaloglu A, Seeber R, Miles L, Eidne K. Constitutive and agonist-dependent homo-oligomerization of the thyrotropin-releasing hormone receptor. Detection in living cells using bioluminescence resonance energy transfer. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:12736-43 pubmed..This study supports the usefulness of BRET as a powerful tool for studying GPCR aggregations and receptor/protein interactions in general and presents evidence that the functioning unit of TRHRs exists as homomeric complexes. ..
- Iacovelli L, Salvatore L, Capobianco L, Picascia A, Barletta E, Storto M, et al. Role of G protein-coupled receptor kinase 4 and beta-arrestin 1 in agonist-stimulated metabotropic glutamate receptor 1 internalization and activation of mitogen-activated protein kinases. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:12433-42 pubmed..We conclude that GRK2 and GRK4 regulate the mGlu(1) receptor by different mechanisms and that beta-arrestin is directly involved in glutamate-stimulated MAP kinase activation by acting as a signaling molecule. ..
- Kohout T, Lin F, Perry S, Conner D, Lefkowitz R. beta-Arrestin 1 and 2 differentially regulate heptahelical receptor signaling and trafficking. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2001;98:1601-6 pubmedThe two widely coexpressed isoforms of beta-arrestin (termed beta arrestin 1 and 2) are highly similar in amino acid sequence...
- Wang W, Wu X, Jia L, Zhang H, Cai F, Mao H, et al. Beta-arrestin1 and 2 differently modulate metabotropic glutamate receptor 7 signaling in rat developmental sevoflurane-induced neuronal apoptosis. Neuroscience. 2016;313:199-212 pubmed publisher..These results suggested that Î²-arr1 and 2 may differently modulate mGluR7 signaling in developmental sevoflurane neurotoxicity. This study also reveals a Î²-arr-biased agonism at GPCRs (e.g. mGluR7). ..
- Pi M, Oakley R, Gesty Palmer D, Cruickshank R, Spurney R, Luttrell L, et al. Beta-arrestin- and G protein receptor kinase-mediated calcium-sensing receptor desensitization. Mol Endocrinol. 2005;19:1078-87 pubmed..We conclude that GRKs and beta-arrestins play key roles in regulating CASR responsiveness in parathyroid glands. ..
- Flores Otero J, Ahn K, Delgado Peraza F, Mackie K, Kendall D, Yudowski G. Ligand-specific endocytic dwell times control functional selectivity of the cannabinoid receptor 1. Nat Commun. 2014;5:4589 pubmed publisher..These studies reveal how receptor activation translates into ?-arrestin signalling and identify a mechanism to control this pathway. ..
- Schmidlin F, Roosterman D, Bunnett N. The third intracellular loop and carboxyl tail of neurokinin 1 and 3 receptors determine interactions with beta-arrestins. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2003;285:C945-58 pubmed..Thus loop 3 and the COOH tail specify colocalization of the NK1R with beta-arrestin 1 and determine the rate of resensitization. ..
- Lombardi M, van den Tweel E, Kavelaars A, Groenendaal F, van Bel F, Heijnen C. Hypoxia/ischemia modulates G protein-coupled receptor kinase 2 and beta-arrestin-1 levels in the neonatal rat brain. Stroke. 2004;35:981-6 pubmed..We hypothesize that these changes result in supersensitization of multiple GPCRs and might therefore contribute to HI-induced brain damage. ..