Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Ar
Description: androgen receptor
Alias: Andr, Tfm, androgen receptor, androgen receptor (Testicular feminization), same as Tfm, dihydrotestosterone receptor, nuclear receptor subfamily 3 group C member 4
Publications122 found, 100 shown here
- Dominant expression of androgen receptors and their functional regulation of organic anion transporter 3 in rat brain capillary endothelial cells; comparison of gene expression between the blood-brain and -retinal barriersSumio Ohtsuki
Department of Molecular Biopharmacy and Genetics, Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Sendai, Japan
J Cell Physiol 204:896-900. 2005..selectively expressed at the blood-brain barrier (BBB) and to clarify the function of the selective gene, androgen receptor (AR)...
- Association of repeat polymorphisms in the estrogen receptors alpha, beta, and androgen receptor genes with knee osteoarthritisP Fytili
Department of Orthopedics, Medical School, University of Thessaly, Universit Hospital of Larissa, Larissa, Greece
Clin Genet 68:268-77. 2005..the possible role of genetic variation in the estrogen receptors alpha and beta (ER-alpha, ER-beta) and androgen receptor (AR) genes with knee OA, the -1174(TA)(n), c.1092+3607(CA)(n), and c...
- Deletion of the steroid-binding domain of the human androgen receptor gene in one family with complete androgen insensitivity syndrome: evidence for further genetic heterogeneity in this syndromeT R Brown
Department of Pediatrics, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21205
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 85:8151-5. 1988The cloning of a cDNA for the human androgen receptor gene has resulted in the availability of cDNA probes that span various parts of the gene, including the entire steroid-binding domain and part of the DNA-binding domain, as well as ..
- Androgen receptor antagonist suppresses exercise-induced hypertrophy of skeletal muscleK Inoue
Department of Food Science and Technology, Faculty of Agriculture, Kyoto University, Japan
Eur J Appl Physiol Occup Physiol 69:88-91. 1994..gastrocnemius muscles by electrical stimulation every other day for 2 weeks, male rats were administered the androgen receptor antagonist, oxendolone...
- A practical approach to the detection of androgen receptor gene mutations and pedigree analysis in families with x-linked androgen insensitivityC Ris-Stalpers
Department of Endocrinology, Erasmus University Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Pediatr Res 36:227-34. 1994Androgen insensitivity syndrome (AIS) is an X-linked disorder in which defects in the androgen receptor gene have prevented the normal development of both internal and external male structures in 46,XY individuals...
- CREB-binding protein in androgen receptor-mediated signalingP Aarnisalo
Department of Physiology, Institute of Biomedicine, University of Helsinki, P O Box 9, FIN 00014 Helsinki, Finland
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 95:2122-7. 1998..CBP enhanced androgen receptor (AR)-dependent transcription under transient transfection conditions in CV-1 cells...
- Dihydrotestosterone and estrogen regulation of rat brain androgen-receptor immunoreactivityC S Lynch
Department of Psychology, University of Louisiana, P O Box 43131, Lafayette, LA 70504, USA
Physiol Behav 69:445-53. 2000..As reported before, castration eliminated AR-ir (androgen-receptor immunoreactivity) and AAS upregulated AR-ir in the ventromedial hypothalamus (VMHVL), medial ..
- Abolition of hypertension-induced end-organ damage by androgen receptor blockade in transgenic rats harboring the mouse ren-2 geneOvidiu Baltatu
Max Delbrück Center for Molecular Medicine MDC, Berlin Buch, Germany
J Am Soc Nephrol 13:2681-7. 2002..Male TGR(mREN2)27 rats were treated with the androgen receptor antagonist Flutamide starting at 4 wk of age...
- BRCA2 mutations and androgen receptor expression as independent predictors of outcome of male breast cancer patientsEliza Kwiatkowska
Department of Cancer Immunology, University of Medical Sciences, Great Poland Cancer Center, Poznan, Poland
Clin Cancer Res 9:4452-9. 2003..The purpose of the study was to investigate the prognostic value of BRCA2 status in male breast carcinoma (MBC)...
- Bone anabolic effects of S-40503, a novel nonsteroidal selective androgen receptor modulator (SARM), in rat models of osteoporosisKeigo Hanada
Central Research Laboratories, Kaken Pharmaceutical Co, Ltd, Shinomiya, Kyoto, Japan
Biol Pharm Bull 26:1563-9. 2003A novel nonsteroidal androgen receptor (AR) binder, S-40503, was successfully generated in order to develop selective androgen receptor modulators (SARMs)...
- A CAG repeat polymorphism in the androgen receptor gene is associated with reduced bone mass and increased risk of osteoporotic fracturesB L Langdahl
Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Aarhus University Hospital, Aarhus Amtssygehus, DK 8000 Aarhus, Denmark
Calcif Tissue Int 73:237-43. 2003..The estrogen and androgen receptor genes are therefore strong candidates for mediating the genetic influence on bone mass and risk of ..
- A selective androgen receptor modulator for hormonal male contraceptionJiyun Chen
College of Pharmacy, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 312:546-53. 2005The recent discovery of nonsteroidal selective androgen receptor modulators (SARMs) provides a promising alternative for testosterone replacement therapies, including hormonal male contraception...
- Gonadal effects of a mouse Denys-Drash syndrome mutationC E Patek
Sir Alastair Currie Cancer Research UK Laboratories, Molecular Medicine Centre, Western General Hospital, Crewe Road, EH4 2XU Edinburgh, UK
Transgenic Res 14:691-702. 2005..Control XXY Sertoli cells showed immuno-expression of WT1 and androgen receptor (AR) indistinguishable from wild-type (40,XY), but expressed anti-Mullerian hormone (AMH)...
- Molecular chaperones throughout the life cycle of the androgen receptorJennifer Prescott
Department of Urology and Preventive Medicine, Norris Cancer Center, USC Keck School of Medicine, Los Angeles, CA 90089, USA
Cancer Lett 231:12-9. 2006Aberrant signaling by the androgen receptor contributes to the initiation and progression of prostate cancer...
- [Study on the expression of androgen receptor in testis, epididymis and prostate of adult rats with diabetes]Su huan Liu
Department of Cell Biology, School of Basic Medical Science, Jilin University, Changchun, Jilin 130021, China
Zhonghua Nan Ke Xue 11:891-4. 2005To investigate if there is abnormal expression of androgen receptor (AR) in adult diabetic rats.
- Androgen receptor: a new player associated with apoptosis and proliferation of pancreatic beta-cell in type 1 diabetes mellitusRu Jiang Li
Department of Anatomy and Histo Embryology, Key Laboratory of Environment and Genes Related to Disease Ministry of Education, Medical School of Xi an Jiaotong University, No 76 Yanta West Road, Xi an, 710061, China
Apoptosis 13:959-71. 2008b>Androgen receptor (AR) mediates a wide range of cellular processes, such as proliferation, differentiation and apoptosis...
- Alcoholism and coagulating gland: androgen and insulin like growth factor-1 receptor featuresFábio Montico
Department of Anatomy, Cellular Biology, Physiology and Biophysics, Institute of Biology, University of Campinas UNICAMP, Campinas, SP, Brazil
Tissue Cell 42:203-10. 2010..Intensed androgen receptor (AR) immunolocalization was verified in the epithelium and weak in the stroma of the control group in ..
- A novel Arg615Ser mutation of androgen receptor DNA-binding domain in three 46,XY sisters with complete androgen insensitivity syndrome and bilateral inguinal herniaVikas Sharma
Institute of Genetics and Hospital for Genetic Diseases, Osmania University, Hyderabad, India
Fertil Steril 95:804.e19-21. 2011..To present clinical, genetic, biochemical, and molecular findings in a family with three sisters with complete androgen insensitivity syndrome (CAIS) and bilateral inguinal hernia...
- Blockade of androgen receptor in the medial amygdala inhibits noncontact erections in male ratsMichal Bialy
Department of Experimental and Clinical Physiology, Krakowskie Przedmiescie 26 28, The Medical University of Warsaw, 00 927 Warsaw, Poland
Physiol Behav 103:295-301. 2011..Furthermore, it is sensitive to relatively fast changes in the level of androgen receptors stimulation...
- Pharmacological doses of testosterone upregulated androgen receptor and 3-Beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase/delta-5-delta-4 isomerase and impaired leydig cells steroidogenesis in adult ratsTatjana S Kostic
Reproductive Endocrinology and Signaling Group, Department of Biology and Ecology, Faculty of Sciences, University of Novi Sad, 21000 Novi Sad, Serbia
Toxicol Sci 121:397-407. 2011..Oppositely, the expression of Hsd3b (3-beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase/delta-5-delta-4 isomerase), Ar (androgen receptor), and Pde4a/b (cyclic adenosine monophosphate-dependent phosphodiesterases) was increased...
- Male rats with the testicular feminization mutation of the androgen receptor display elevated anxiety-related behavior and corticosterone response to mild stressDamian G Zuloaga
Department of Psychology and Program in Neuroscience, 108 Giltner Hall, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI 48824 1101, USA
Horm Behav 60:380-8. 2011..anxiety-related behavior, and sensorimotor gating in rodents, but little is known about the role of the androgen receptor (AR) in mediating these influences...
- Anti-androgenic effects of S-40542, a novel non-steroidal selective androgen receptor modulator (SARM) for the treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasiaHiroaki Nejishima
Central Research Laboratories, Kaken Pharmaceutical Co, Ltd, Fujieda, Shizuoka, Japan
Prostate 72:1580-7. 2012Selective androgen receptor modulators (SARMs) would provide alternative therapeutic agent for androgen-related diseases...
- Senescence and steroid hormone receptor reactivities in accessory sex glands of elderly rats (Sprague-Dawley) following exogenous hormonal therapyEduardo Marcelo Cândido
Department of Anatomy, Cellular Biology, Physiology and Biophysics, Institute of Biology, State University of Campinas UNICAMP, Campinas, PO Box 6109, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Tissue Cell 44:227-37. 2012The aim of this study was to characterize the stromal and epithelial distribution of AR, ERα and ERβ reactivities in the different accessory sex glands of elderly rats and during strong hormonal changes...
- Impact of lycopene on epididymal androgen and estrogen receptors' expression in polychlorinated biphenyls-exposed ratManickavel Vinoth Raj
1Department of Endocrinology, Dr ALM Post Graduate Institute of Basic Medical Sciences, University of Madras, Taramani, Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
Reprod Sci 21:89-101. 2014The aim of the study was to evaluate the androgen (AR) and estrogen receptors' (ER) expression in epididymis of polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs)-exposed rats. The rats were assigned to groups...
- The mutational landscape of prostate cancerChristopher E Barbieri
Department of Urology, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, New York, NY 10021, USA
Eur Urol 64:567-76. 2013..Molecular characterization has revealed striking mutational heterogeneity that may underlie the variable clinical course of the disease...
- Androgens increase survival of adult-born neurons in the dentate gyrus by an androgen receptor-dependent mechanism in male ratsD K Hamson
Department of Psychology, University of British Columbia, Vancouver V6T 1Z4, British Columbia, Canada
Endocrinology 154:3294-304. 2013..These results suggest androgens regulate hippocampal neurogenesis via the androgen receptor (AR)...
- A novel selective androgen receptor modulator, NEP28, is efficacious in muscle and brain without serious side effects on prostateKazumasa Akita
Environmental Health Science Laboratory, Sumitomo Chemical Co, Ltd, Osaka, Japan Electronic address
Eur J Pharmacol 720:107-14. 2013..However, androgen therapy is not used routinely for these indications, because of side effects. Selective androgen receptor modulators (SARMs) are a new class of compounds...
- Androgen insensitive male rats display increased anxiety-like behavior on the elevated plus mazeDwayne K Hamson
Hormones and Behaviour Lab, Department of Psychology, Simon Fraser University, Canada Electronic address
Behav Brain Res 259:158-63. 2014..These data, in contrast to earlier reports, thus implicate androgen receptor-mediated functions in the expression of anxiety behaviors in male rats...
- A single low dose of cadmium exposure induces benign prostate hyperplasia like condition in rat: A novel benign prostate hyperplasia rodent modelAkhilesh Prajapati
Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Science, The Maharaja Sayajirao University of Baroda, Vadodara, Gujarat 390002, India
Exp Biol Med (Maywood) 239:829-841. 2014..and immunohistochemistry data suggest that Cd induces hyperplasia like condition by activating the androgen receptor and estrogen receptor-α and suppresses the action of estrogen receptor-β...
- Androgen modulation of Foxp1 and Foxp2 in the developing rat brain: impact on sex specific vocalizationJ Michael Bowers
Department of Pharmacology J M B, M P P, C R R, M M M, University of Maryland School of Medicine and Programs in Neuroscience M M M and Medicine T E R, University of Maryland School of Medicine, University of Maryland, Baltimore, Baltimore, Maryland 21201
Endocrinology 155:4881-94. 2014..Immunofluorescence microscopy and coimmunoprecipitation demonstrate Foxp2 and the androgen receptor protein interact...
- Blocking hyperactive androgen receptor signaling ameliorates cardiac and renal hypertrophy in Fabry miceJin Song Shen
Institute of Metabolic Disease, Baylor Research Institute, 3812 Elm Street, Dallas, TX 75226, USA
Hum Mol Genet 24:3181-91. 2015..We found increased activity of androgen receptor (AR) signaling in Fabry disease...
- Transient gestational and neonatal hypothyroidism-induced specific changes in androgen receptor expression in skeletal and cardiac muscles of adult ratK Annapoorna
Department of Endocrinology, Dr ALM Post Graduate Institute of Basic Medical Sciences, University of Madras, Chennai, TN, India
Horm Metab Res 45:197-205. 2013..Serum was collected for hormone assay. Androgen receptor status, Glu-4 expression, and enzyme activities were assessed in the skeletal and cardiac muscles...
- Association of the androgen receptor gene (AR) with ADHD and conduct disorderD E Comings
Department of Medical Genetics, City of Hope Medical Center, Duarte, CA 91010, USA
Neuroreport 10:1589-92. 1999..Since the shorter alleles of the CAG and GGC polymorphisms of the AR gene are associated with increased gene expression we sought to determine whether they were also associated with ..
- NF-kB overexpression and decreased immunoexpression of AR in the muscular layer is related to structural damages and apoptosis in cimetidine-treated rat vas deferensJuliana Y Koshimizu
Department of Morphology, Laboratory of Histology and Embryology, Araraquara Dental School UNESP Univ, Estadual Paulista, Brazil
Reprod Biol Endocrinol 11:29. 2013..Either androgen or histamine H2 receptors have been detected in the mucosa and smooth muscular layer of vas deferens. Thus, the effect of cimetidine on this androgen and histamine-dependent muscular duct was morphologically evaluated...
- Cloning and functional characterization of a rat Daxx that functions as a corepressor for the androgen receptorHaruo Mizuta
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Neurology, Saga University, Faculty of Medicine, Saga 849 8501, Japan
Cell Biol Int 28:609-14. 2004The androgen receptor (AR), a ligand-activated nuclear transcription factor, plays an important role in endocrine system development and homeostasis...
- Effects of prepubertal epididymal ligation on the androgen receptor distribution of the rat testisFatih Mehmet Gur
Sabiha Gokcen Airport Veterinary Border Inspection Post, Ministry of Food, Agriculture and Livestock, Pendik Istanbul
Anal Quant Cytopathol Histpathol 34:317-24. 2012To investigate the effects of prepubertal epididymal obstruction on the androgen receptor (AR) distribution in the testis.
- A single base mutation in the androgen receptor gene causes androgen insensitivity in the testicular feminized ratW G Yarbrough
Laboratory for Reproductive Biology, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill 27599
J Biol Chem 265:8893-900. 1990..syndrome in which genetic males fail to undergo masculinization in utero due to defective functioning of the androgen receptor (AR)...
- The rat androgen receptor: primary structure, autoregulation of its messenger ribonucleic acid, and immunocytochemical localization of the receptor proteinJ A Tan
Laboratories for Reproductive Biology, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill 27599
Mol Endocrinol 2:1276-85. 1988A composite androgen receptor DNA sequence 4,181 base pairs in length was determined from three cDNA clones isolated from a rat epididymal bacteriophage lambda gt11 library...
- Identification of a novel RING finger protein as a coregulator in steroid receptor-mediated gene transcriptionA M Moilanen
Department of Physiology, Institute of Biomedicine, University of Helsinki, FIN 00014 Helsinki, Finland
Mol Cell Biol 18:5128-39. 1998Using the DNA-binding domain of androgen receptor (AR) as a bait in a yeast two-hybrid screening, we have identified a small nuclear RING finger protein, termed SNURF, that interacts with AR in a hormone-dependent fashion in both yeast ..
- Developmental profiles of TSH, sex steroids, and their receptors in the thyroid and their relevance to thyroid growth in immature ratsSakhila K Banu
Department of Endocrinology, Dr ALM PG Institute of Basic Medical Sciences, University of Madras, Taramani, Chennai 600 113, India
Steroids 67:137-44. 2002..This is the first report to show the availability of sex steroids and their receptors in the thyroid glands of immature rats under normal conditions...
- Inhibition of androgen receptor (AR) function by the reproductive orphan nuclear receptor DAX-1Elin Holter
Department of Biosciences at Novum, Karolinska Institute, S 14157 Huddinge, Sweden
Mol Endocrinol 16:515-28. 2002..In this study, we have identified the androgen receptor (AR) NR3C4 as a novel target for DAX-1...
- Liganded androgen receptor interaction with beta-catenin: nuclear co-localization and modulation of transcriptional activity in neuronal cellsJohn E Pawlowski
Research Service, Veterans Affairs Medical Center and Department of Medicine, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, Colorado 80220, USA
J Biol Chem 277:20702-10. 2002A yeast two-hybrid assay was employed to identify androgen receptor (AR) protein partners in gonadotropin-releasing hormone neuronal cells...
- DNA methylation in the androgen receptor gene promoter region in rat prostate cancersSatoru Takahashi
First Department of Pathology, Nagoya City University Medical School, Mizuho cho, Mizuho ku, Nagoya, Japan
Prostate 52:82-8. 2002..DMAB) and testosterone propionate (TP) are biologically androgen-independent and lacking androgen receptor protein (AR) expression...
- A novel steroid receptor co-activator protein (SRAP) as an alternative form of steroid receptor RNA-activator gene: expression in prostate cancer cells and enhancement of androgen receptor activityHidenori Kawashima
Department of Urology, Osaka City University Graduate School of Medicine, 1 4 3 Asahimachi, Abenoku, Osaka 545 8585, Japan
Biochem J 369:163-71. 2003..Glutathione S-transferase pull-down assays showed that SRAP associates with the partial androgen receptor (AR) protein composed of a DNA-binding domain and an activation function 2...
- Androgen-dependent neurodegeneration by polyglutamine-expanded human androgen receptor in DrosophilaKen ichi Takeyama
Institute of Molecular and Cellular Biosciences, University of Tokyo, 1 1 1 Yayoi, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo, Japan
Neuron 35:855-64. 2002..only males and is caused by expanded polyglutamine (polyQ) stretches in the N-terminal A/B domain of human androgen receptor (hAR)...
- Androgen receptor length polymorphism associated with prostate cancer risk in Hispanic menIvana Balic
Department of Cellular and Structural Biology, University of Texas Health Science Center San Antonio, San Antonio, Texas, USA
J Urol 168:2245-8. 2002The transcriptional activation domain of the androgen receptor gene includes a CAG repeat length polymorphism. A smaller number of repeats is reported to increase the risk of prostate cancer...
- Testosterone and estradiol up-regulate androgen and estrogen receptors in immature and adult rat thyroid glands in vivoSakhila K Banu
Department of Endocrinology, Dr ALM PG Institute of Basic Medical Sciences, University of Madras, Chennai Taramani 600113, India
Steroids 67:1007-14. 2002..Gonadectomy significantly decreased serum and thyroidal testosterone and estradiol and concentrations of androgen receptor (AR) and estrogen receptor (ER) in the thyroid...
- Androgen receptor (AR) gene microsatellite polymorphism in postmenopausal women: correlation to bone mineral density and susceptibility to osteoporosisHuey Yi Chen
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, China Medical College Hospital, School of Medicine, Taichung, Taiwan
Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol 107:52-6. 2003To investigate the correlation of the androgen receptor gene microsatellite polymorphism (CAG trinucleotide repeat polymorphism on exon 1) with bone mineral density and their relationship to osteoporosis in postmenopausal women.
- Isolation and identification of L-dopa decarboxylase as a protein that binds to and enhances transcriptional activity of the androgen receptor using the repressed transactivator yeast two-hybrid systemLatif A Wafa
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC, V6T 2B5, Canada
Biochem J 375:373-83. 2003The AR (androgen receptor) is a ligand-regulated transcription factor, which belongs to the steroid receptor family and plays an essential role in growth and development of the prostate...
- Androgen receptor expression in the developing male and female rat visual and prefrontal cortexJ L Nunez
Neuroscience Program and Department of Psychology, University of Illinois, Champaign, Illinois 61820, USA
J Neurobiol 56:293-302. 2003..primary visual cortex (Oc1) and the anterior cingulate/frontal cortex (Cg1/Fr2); and to determine whether androgen receptor (AR) expression in these regions differs between developing males and females...
- Regulation of androgen receptor expression at the onset of functional overload in rat plantaris muscleWon Jun Lee
Univ of South Carolina, Dept of Exercise Science, 1300 Wheat St, Columbia SC 29208, USA
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 285:R1076-85. 2003Skeletal muscle androgen receptor (AR) expression at the onset of functional overload (OV) has not been well described. It is also not known if overload and/or anabolic steroid differentially regulate AR expression...
- Androgen receptor and calcitonin gene-related peptide in neurons of the genitofemoral nerve during testicular descent induced with human chorionic gonadotropinRosa Maria Vigueras
Departamento de Biologia Celular y Fisiologia, Instituto de Investigaciones Biomedicas, Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico, Mexico City, Mexico
Arch Med Res 34:166-70. 2003..Treatment with human chorionic gonadotrophin (hCG) induces testis descent by stimulating production of testosterone (T). Neurons of genitofemoral nerve (GFN), which innervate testicular gubernaculum, may play a role in testis descent...
- Nuclear factor-kappaB activates transcription of the androgen receptor gene in Sertoli cells isolated from testes of adult ratsLiying Zhang
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Room W3606, 615 North Wolfe Street, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Endocrinology 145:781-9. 2004The androgen receptor (AR) in Sertoli cells mediates the actions of testosterone on spermatogenesis. However, the transcription factors responsible for AR gene regulation in Sertoli cells remain unknown...
- Agonist-antagonist induced coactivator and corepressor interplay on the human androgen receptorHelmut Dotzlaw
Genetic Institute, Justus Liebig University, Heinrich Buff Ring 58 62, D 35392 Giessen, Germany
Mol Cell Endocrinol 213:79-85. 2003The human androgen receptor (AR) is a member of the nuclear hormone receptor superfamily. However, in contrast to other members of this family the amino-(N)-terminus of AR harbors the major transactivation function...
- Androgen receptor gene cytosine, adenine, and guanine trinucleotide repeats in patients with endometriosisDebora Lattuada
Molecular Biology Laboratory Istituto Auxologico Italiano, Milan, Italy
J Soc Gynecol Investig 11:237-40. 2004A genetic variation in the androgen receptor (AR) has been associated with the risk of developing endometriosis...
- Targeted overexpression of androgen receptor in osteoblasts: unexpected complex bone phenotype in growing animalsKristine M Wiren
Base and Mineral Research Unit, Portland Veterans Affairs Medical Center P3 R and D39, 3710 Southwest Veterans Hospital Road, Portland, Oregon 97239, USA
Endocrinology 145:3507-22. 2004The androgen receptor (AR), as a classic steroid receptor, generally mediates biologic responses to androgens. In bone tissue, both AR and the estrogen receptor (ER) are expressed in a variety of cell types...
- Linkage between cryptorchidism, hypospadias, and GGN repeat length in the androgen receptor geneElin L Aschim
Andrology Laboratory, Department of Gynaecology and Obstetrics, Rikshospitalet University Hospital, N 0027 Oslo, Norway
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 89:5105-9. 2004Although sufficient androgen receptor (AR) function is crucial for normal male sexual differentiation, single-point mutations in the AR gene are infrequent in the two most common male congenital malformations, hypospadias and ..
- Absence of a correlation of androgen receptor gene CAG repeat length and prostate cancer risk in an African-American populationTimothy Gilligan
Department of Medical Oncology, Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Clin Prostate Cancer 3:98-103. 2004Shorter androgen receptor gene CAG repeat length has been associated with an increased risk of prostate cancer, an earlier age of onset, and more advanced stage of disease...
- Ultrastructural evidence that androgen receptors are located at extranuclear sites in the rat hippocampal formationN E Tabori
Division of Neurobiology, Department of Neurology and Neuroscience, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, 411 East 69th Street, New York, NY 10021, USA
Neuroscience 130:151-63. 2005..By light microscopy, AR immunoreactivity (-ir) was found in CA1 pyramidal cell nuclei and in disperse, punctate processes that were most ..
- Androgen, estrogen, and progesterone receptor gene regulation during diabetic erectile dysfunction and insulin treatmentMasato Shirai
Department of Urology, Veterans Affairs Medical Center and University of California, San Francisco, School of Medicine, San Francisco, California 94121, USA
Urology 64:1244-9. 2004..Insulin treatment can restore erectile function through modulation of sex hormone receptor genes...
- Androgen receptor trinucleotide polymorphism in leiomyomaYao Yuan Hsieh
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, China Medical University Hospital, Taichung, Taiwan
J Assist Reprod Genet 21:453-7. 2004b>Androgen receptor (AR) was detected in leiomyoma. AR gene has a polymorphic microsatellite encoding cytosine, adenine, and guanine (CAG) repeats. We aimed to investigate the association between the AR gene CAG repeats and leiomyoma.
- GGC and StuI polymorphism on the androgen receptor gene in endometrial cancer patientsMasahiro Sasaki
Department of Urology, University of California, San Francisco and Veterans Affairs Medical Center, San Francisco, CA, USA
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 329:100-4. 2005Androgens have an anti-proliferative effect on endometrial cells. Human androgen receptor (AR) gene contains two polymorphic short tandem repeats of GGC and CAG, and a single-nucleotide polymorphism on exon 1 that is recognized by the ..
- Spatial memory performance in androgen insensitive male ratsBryan A Jones
Hormones and Behaviour Laboratory, Department of Psychology, Simon Fraser University, Burnaby, BC, Canada V5A 1S6
Physiol Behav 85:135-41. 2005..A novel way of examining this is through the study of male rats that express the tfm mutation of the androgen receptor (AR) gene; such males are fully androgen insensitive and manifest a female phenotype due to a failure of AR-..
- Androgen receptor gene CAG length polymorphism in women with polycystic ovary syndromeJarmo Jääskeläinen
Department of Pediatrics, Kuopio University Hospital, Kuopio, Finland
Fertil Steril 83:1724-8. 2005To determine whether the CAG repeat length of the androgen receptor (AR) gene contributes to individual differences in the susceptibility to the development of polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS).
- Immunohistochemical study of androgen receptors in breast carcinoma. Evidence of their frequent expression in lobular carcinomaCristina Riva
Department of Human Morphology, Section of Pathology, University of Insubria, Varese, Italy
Virchows Arch 447:695-700. 2005Androgens and androgen receptors (AR) are involved in the pathogenesis of breast cancer. Epidemiological studies have shown a significant association between the risk of breast cancer and androgens...
- The androgen receptor CAG repeat modifies the impact of testosterone on insulin resistance in women with polycystic ovary syndromeMatthias Mohlig
Department of Endocrinology, Diabetes and Nutrition, Charite University Medicine Berlin, Berlin, Germany
Eur J Endocrinol 155:127-30. 2006..Androgens act through the androgen receptor (AR)...
- Neuronal differentiation of PC12 cells abolishes the expression of membrane androgen receptorsVassilia Ismini Alexaki
Laboratories of Experimental Endocrinology, University of Crete, School of Medicine, P O Box 2208, Heraklion 71003, Greece
Exp Cell Res 312:2745-56. 2006..In the present work, we have examined the expression and functional significance of membrane androgen receptor sites in normal rat adrenal chromaffin cells and in the PC12 rat pheochromocytoma cell line which can ..
- Expression of androgen receptor and 3beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase in corpora lutea during pregnancy in the ratM Szołtys
Laboratory of Endocrinology and Tissue Culture, Institute of Zoology, Jagiellonian University, Krakow, Poland
Reprod Fertil Dev 19:356-65. 2007Immunoexpression of androgen receptor (AR) and 3beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase (3beta-HSD) was investigated in three generations of corpora lutea (CLs), found in the ovaries of rats on Days 1, 2, 5, 9, 14 and 20 of pregnancy...
- Chronic testosterone treatment induces selective insulin resistance in subcutaneous adipocytes of womenA Corbould
Prince Henry s Institute of Medical Research, Monash Medical Centre, Block E, Level 4, Clayton Road, Clayton, Victoria 3168, Australia
J Endocrinol 192:585-94. 2007..of healthy women aged 37 +/- 5 years were differentiated in vitro, then treated with testosterone (T) and/or androgen receptor (AR) antagonists (cyproterone acetate, flutamide) for 48 h...
- Experimental arterial thrombosis regulated by androgen and its receptor via modulation of platelet activationShijun Li
Division of Geriatric Cardiology, Chinese PLA General Hospital, Beijing, People s Republic of China
Thromb Res 121:127-34. 2007..The aim of our study is to elucidate whether experimental arterial thrombosis is regulated by physiological doses of androgen and its receptor via modulation of platelet activation...
- FoxG1, a member of the forkhead family, is a corepressor of the androgen receptorMaik Obendorf
Schering AG Jenapharm GmbH and Co KG, CRBA G and A, Otto Schott Str 15, D 07745 Jena, Germany
J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol 104:195-207. 2007The androgen receptor (AR) is a ligand-dependent transcriptional regulator which belongs to the nuclear receptor superfamily...
- Expression of androgen receptor and two androgen-induced proteins (apolipoprotein D and pepsinogen C) in ductal carcinoma in situ of the breastL O Gonzalez
Instituto Universitario de Oncologí, a del Principado de Asturias, Hospital de Jove, Gijon, Spain
Histopathology 50:866-74. 2007To evaluate the expression of androgen receptors (AR) and two androgen-induced proteins [apolipoprotein D (ApoD) and pepsinogen C (PepC)] in ductal carcinoma in situ (DCIS) of the breast.
- Androgen signaling and its interactions with other signaling pathways in prostate cancerMari Kaarbø
Department of Molecular Biosciences, University of Oslo, Norway
Bioessays 29:1227-38. 2007..The androgen receptor (AR) is required for prostate cancer growth in all stages, including the relapsed, "androgen-independent" ..
- Differential expression of oestrogen receptor isoforms and androgen receptor in the normal vulva and vagina compared with vulval lichen sclerosus and chronic vaginitisA H Taylor
Reproductive Sciences Section, Department of Cancer Studies and Molecular Medicine, University of Leicester, and Gynaecology Research Unit, University Hospitals of Leicester NHS Trust, Leicester Royal Infirmary, UK
Br J Dermatol 158:319-28. 2008Although the expression of the oestrogen receptor (ER) alpha isoform and androgen receptor (AR) has been examined in vulval lichen sclerosus (VLS), the distribution pattern of ERalpha, ERbeta and AR has not been described in chronic ..
- Alteration in [11C]vorozole binding to aromatase in neuronal cells of rat brain induced by anabolic androgenic steroids and flutamideKayo Takahashi
Molecular Probe Dynamics Laboratory, Molecular Imaging Research Program, RIKEN, Kobe, Japan
Neuroreport 19:431-5. 2008..Our findings suggest that aromatase is regulated through an androgen receptor-mediated system...
- Androgen receptors are required for full masculinization of nitric oxide synthase system in rat limbic-hypothalamic regionM Martini
Laboratory of Neuroendocrinology, Department of Anatomy, Pharmacology and Forensic Medicine, Neuroscience Institute of Turin NIT, University of Torino, Torino, Italy
Horm Behav 54:557-64. 2008..elucidate the role of AR on nNOS expression, we compared male and female rats with a non-functional mutation of AR (Tfm, testicular feminization mutation) to their control littermates...
- Androgen and estrogen (alpha) receptor localization on periaqueductal gray neurons projecting to the rostral ventromedial medulla in the male and female ratDayna R Loyd
Neuroscience Institute, Center for Behavioral Neuroscience, Georgia State University, PO Box 4010, Atlanta, GA 30302 4010, United States
J Chem Neuroanat 36:216-26. 2008..The expression of androgen (AR) and estrogen (ERalpha) receptors in the PAG of female rats and within this descending inhibitory pathway in both ..
- Sex differences and laterality in astrocyte number and complexity in the adult rat medial amygdalaRyan T Johnson
Neuroscience Program, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan 48824 1101, USA
J Comp Neurol 511:599-609. 2008..and process complexity of MePD astrocytes in adult wildtype male and female rats and testicular feminized mutant (TFM) male rats that lack functional androgen receptors (ARs) to determine whether MePD astrocytes are sexually ..
- Loss of androgen receptor in aging and oxidative stress through Myb protooncoprotein-regulated reciprocal chromatin dynamics of p53 and poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase PARP-1Liheng Shi
Department of Molecular Medicine Institute of Biotechnology, The University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio, Texas 78245, USA
J Biol Chem 283:36474-85. 2008..Herein we show that transcriptional down-regulation of androgen receptor (AR) in the aging rat liver and in oxidatively stressed hepatoma cells involves exchange of a PARP-1-..
- Inhibin A inhibits follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH) action by suppressing its receptor expression in cultured rat granulosa cellsCuiling Lu
State Key Laboratory of Reproductive Biology, Institute of Zoology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Chaoyang District, Beijing 100101, China
Mol Cell Endocrinol 298:48-56. 2009..Inhibin A was also capable of suppressing FSH-induced expression of steroidogenic factor 1 (SF-1) and androgen receptor, but stimulating DAX-1 expression in the culture...
- Androgen receptor is expressed in murine choroid plexus and downregulated by 5alpha-dihydrotestosterone in male and female miceC Henrique Alves
Research Center in Health Sciences CICS, University of Beira Interior, Av Infante D Henrique, 6200 506, Covilha, Portugal
J Mol Neurosci 38:41-9. 2009..Androgens regulate the expression of neuroprotective peptides in several tissues where the androgen receptor (AR) is coexpressed, including the brain...
- Age-related changes in hypothalamic androgen receptor and estrogen receptor alpha in male ratsDi Wu
Division of Pharmacology and Toxicology, College of Pharmacy, The University of Texas at Austin, Austin, Texas 78712, USA
J Comp Neurol 512:688-701. 2009..We performed a stereologic analysis of immunoreactive androgen receptor (AR) and estrogen receptor alpha (ERalpha) cells in three POA nuclei of male Sprague-Dawley rats (..
- Dietary fatty acid quality affects AR and PPARgamma levels and prostate growthEsdras L O Escobar
Department of Cell Biology, Institute of Biology, State University of Campinas UNICAMP, Campinas, SP, Brazil
Prostate 69:548-58. 2009..of this work was to evaluate the effect of quality of fatty acid on the rat ventral prostate growth, tissue organization, and expression of androgen receptor (AR) and peroxisome proliferation activator receptor gamma (PPARgamma).
- Sex-specific regulation of ENaC and androgen receptor in female rat kidneyT Kienitz
Clinical Endocrinology, Department of Internal Medicine, Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Endocrinology, Charite Campus Mitte, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Berlin 10117, Germany
Horm Metab Res 41:356-62. 2009..Regulation of the androgen receptor (AR) is known to be tissue-specific and age-dependent, but not well studied in the kidney...
- Sexual differentiation of the spinal nucleus of the bulbocavernosus is not mediated solely by androgen receptors in muscle fibersLee Niel
Department of Psychology, University of Toronto at Mississauga, 3359 Mississauga Road, Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
Endocrinology 150:3207-13. 2009..manipulations of developing rats as well as from evidence that male rats with the testicular feminization mutation (Tfm), which is a loss of function AR mutation, have a feminine SNB phenotype...
- Androgen regulates the sexually dimorphic gastrin-releasing peptide system in the lumbar spinal cord that mediates male sexual functionHirotaka Sakamoto
Department of Anatomy and Neurobiology, Kyoto Prefectural University of Medicine, Kawaramachi Hirokoji, Kamigyo ku, Kyoto 602 8566, Japan
Endocrinology 150:3672-9. 2009..Genetically male (XY) rats with the dysfunctional testicular feminization allele for the androgen receptor (AR) displayed GRP mRNA and protein levels in the spinal cord similar to those of females, indicating that ..
- Estrogen-induced developmental disorders of the rat penis involve both estrogen receptor (ESR)- and androgen receptor (AR)-mediated pathwaysH O Goyal
Department of Biomedical Sciences and Biology CBR RCMI, College of Veterinary Medicine, Tuskegee University, Tuskegee, AL 36088, USA
Biol Reprod 81:507-16. 2009This study tested the hypothesis that the estrogen receptor (ESR) pathway, androgen receptor (AR) pathway, or both mediate estrogen-induced developmental penile disorders...
- Disruption in the expression and immunolocalisation of steroid receptors and steroidogenic enzymes in letrozole-induced polycystic ovaries in ratFrancisco M Zurvarra
Department of Morphological Sciences and Center for Experimental Biology and Laboratory Animals Sciences, Faculty of Veterinary Sciences, Universidad Nacional del Litoral, Argentina
Reprod Fertil Dev 21:827-39. 2009..and tissue distribution of steroid receptors (oestrogen receptor-alpha and -beta (ERalpha, ERbeta), androgen receptor (AR) and progesterone receptor (PR)) and steroidogenic enzymes (P450 aromatase (P450arom), 3beta-..
- Autophagy and access: understanding the role of androgen receptor subcellular localization in SBMAHeather L Montie
Thomas Jefferson University, Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Philadelphia, PA, USA
Autophagy 5:1194-7. 2009..We have recently reported that lack of access of nuclear polyglutamine-expanded androgen receptor (AR) to the autophagic degradation pathway is a critical point in pathogenesis...
- Immunolocalization of androgen receptor and steroidogenic enzymes in cumuli oophori of pre- and post-ovulatory ratsMaria Szołtys
Department of Endocrinology and Tissue Culture, Institute of Zoology, Jagiellonian University, Krakow, Poland
Acta Histochem 112:576-82. 2010Immunolocalization of 3β-hydroxysteroid dehydrogense (3β-HSD), cytochrome P450c17 (P450c17) and androgen receptor (AR) were investigated in rat cumuli oophori (COCs) of late pre-ovulatory follicles and in post-ovulatory COCs bearing ..
- Expression of aromatase, androgen and estrogen receptors in peripheral target tissues in diabetesAnjali Prabhu
Department of Medicine, Georgetown University Medical Center, 4000 Reservoir Road NW, Washington, DC 20057, United States
Steroids 75:779-87. 2010..Overall, our data provides evidence for the extra-testicular source of estradiol that in males, through an intracrine mechanism, may contribute to the development and/or progression of end-organ damage associated with diabetes...
- Membrane androgen receptors may mediate androgen reinforcementSatoru M Sato
Department of Cell and Neurobiology, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA 90033, USA
Psychoneuroendocrinology 35:1063-73. 2010..First, we tested androgen self-administration in rats with the testicular feminization mutation (Tfm), which interferes with androgen binding...
- A simple technique for the prediction of interacting proteins reveals a direct Brn-3a-androgen receptor interactionDaniel C Berwick
Medical Molecular Biology Unit, University College London Institute of Child Health, London, UK
J Biol Chem 285:15286-95. 2010..developmental transcription factor Brn-3a to predict and verify a novel interaction between Brn-3a and the androgen receptor (AR)...
- Androgen receptor blockade in the posterodorsal medial amygdala impairs sexual odor preference in male ratsNami Hosokawa
Department of Materials and Life Sciences, Sophia University, Tokyo 102 8554, Japan
Horm Behav 58:493-500. 2010..Gonadally intact, sexually experienced male rats received bilateral administration of flutamide, an androgen receptor (AR) blocker, aimed at either the posterior dorsal part (MePD) or the anterior dorsal part (MeAD) of the MeA ..
- Is gender difference in postnatal thyroid growth associated with specific expression patterns of androgen and estrogen receptors?Jone A Stanley
Department of Endocrinology, Dr ALM, Post Graduate Institute of Basic Medical Sciences, University of Madras, Taramani, Chennai, India
Steroids 75:1058-66. 2010..In the present study we tested androgen receptor (AR) and estrogen receptor (ER) concentrations by ligand binding assay, and expression of their genes by RT-..
- Distribution of aromatase and sex steroid receptors in the baculum during the rat life cycle: effects of estrogen during the early development of the baculumTomohiro Yonezawa
Laboratories of Veterinary Physiology and Veterinary Anatomy, Kitasato University, Aomori, Japan
Biol Reprod 85:105-12. 2011..These findings suggest that not only androgen but also locally aromatized estrogen is involved in the early growth and development of the baculum...
- Gain in transcriptional activity by primate-specific coevolution of melanoma antigen-A11 and its interaction site in androgen receptorQiang Liu
Laboratories for Reproductive Biology, Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599 7500, USA
J Biol Chem 286:29951-63. 2011Male sex development and growth occur in response to high affinity androgen binding to the androgen receptor (AR)...
- Structural analysis of complementary DNA and amino acid sequences of human and rat androgen receptorsC S Chang
Ben May Institute, Chicago, IL
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 85:7211-5. 1988..The human AR has a long stretch of repeated glycines, whereas rat AR has a long stretch of glutamines...
- Correlation between genetic and cytogenetic maps of the ratY Andoh
Institute of Laboratory Animals, Faculty of Medicine, Kyoto University, Japan
Mamm Genome 9:287-93. 1998..Thus, we provide here a new base for rat genetic maps...
- Persistent changes in brain expression after withdrawalKRISTINE WIREN; Fiscal Year: 2003..e. physical dependence leading to withdrawal seizures) are regulated at the genetic level. This knowledge may help in the development of new strategies for the treatment of alcohol dependence. ..
- Androgen Receptor Expression in Developing Rat ForebrainLydia Doncarlos; Fiscal Year: 2005..of the organizational effects of testosterone on the nervous system, and that spatial and temporal shifts in androgen receptor expression and regulation contribute to specific actions of androgens in modulation of brain development...
- Exploratory Studies of Androgen Receptors in AxonsLydia Doncarlos; Fiscal Year: 2006..Androgens have been thought to exert their effects exclusively through the androgen receptor, traditionally considered to be a ligand dependent nuclear transcription factor...
- Androgen action in bone: Overexpression of ARKristine M Wiren; Fiscal Year: 2010..We hypothesize that androgens influence bone formation and bone size through actions mediated by the androgen receptor (AR) in the osteoblastic lineage...