Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: aquaporin 5
Description: aquaporin 5
Alias: aquaporin-5, AQP-5
Products: aquaporin 5
- Morishita Y, Matsuzaki T, Hara Chikuma M, Andoo A, Shimono M, Matsuki A, et al. Disruption of aquaporin-11 produces polycystic kidneys following vacuolization of the proximal tubule. Mol Cell Biol. 2005;25:7770-9 pubmed..These data demonstrate that AQP11 is essential for the proximal tubular function. AQP11-null mice are a novel model for polycystic kidney diseases and will provide a new mechanism for cystogenesis. ..
- Murata K, Mitsuoka K, Hirai T, Walz T, Agre P, Heymann J, et al. Structural determinants of water permeation through aquaporin-1. Nature. 2000;407:599-605 pubmed..The atomic model provides a possible molecular explanation to a longstanding puzzle in physiology-how membranes can be freely permeable to water but impermeable to protons. ..
- Gresz V, Kwon T, Gong H, Agre P, Steward M, King L, et al. Immunolocalization of AQP-5 in rat parotid and submandibular salivary glands after stimulation or inhibition of secretion in vivo. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2004;287:G151-61 pubmed
- Thiagarajah J, Verkman A. Aquaporin deletion in mice reduces corneal water permeability and delays restoration of transparency after swelling. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:19139-44 pubmed..The up-regulation of AQP1 expression and/or function in corneal endothelium may reduce corneal swelling and opacification following injury. ..
- Meinild A, Klaerke D, Zeuthen T. Bidirectional water fluxes and specificity for small hydrophilic molecules in aquaporins 0-5. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:32446-51 pubmed..6. We conclude that the pore of the various aquaporins are structurally different and that a simple steric model is insufficient to explain solute-pore interactions. ..
- Silberstein C, Kierbel A, Amodeo G, Zotta E, Bigi F, Berkowski D, et al. Functional characterization and localization of AQP3 in the human colon. Braz J Med Biol Res. 1999;32:1303-13 pubmed..The presence of AQP3 in villus epithelial cells suggests that AQP3 is implicated in water absorption across human colonic surface cells. ..
- Satoh K, Seo Y, Matsuo S, Karabasil M, Matsuki Fukushima M, Nakahari T, et al. Roles of AQP5/AQP5-G103D in carbamylcholine-induced volume decrease and in reduction of the activation energy for water transport by rat parotid acinar cells. Pflugers Arch. 2012;464:375-89 pubmed
- Kuwahara M, Gu Y, Ishibashi K, Marumo F, Sasaki S. Mercury-sensitive residues and pore site in AQP3 water channel. Biochemistry. 1997;36:13973-8 pubmed..These results suggest that the structure of the aqueous pore of AQP3 resembles those of AQP1 and AQP2 and support the hypothesis that water and small molecules share a common pore in AQP3. ..
- Wang W, Zheng M. Role of cAMP-PKA/CREB pathway in regulation of AQP 5 production in rat nasal epithelium. Rhinology. 2011;49:464-9 pubmed publisherb>Aquaporin 5 (AQP5) is a water-specific channel protein...
- Fabregat G, GarcÃa de la AsunciÃ³n J, SarriÃ¡ B, Cortijo J, DE AndrÃ©s J, Mata M, et al. Increased expression of AQP 1 and AQP 5 in rat lungs ventilated with low tidal volume is time dependent. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e114247 pubmed publisher..Our objectives are to determine if prolonged MV causes lung oedema and changes in the expression of AQP 1 and AQP 5 in rats...
- Murdiastuti K, Miki O, Yao C, Parvin M, Kosugi Tanaka C, Akamatsu T, et al. Divergent expression and localization of aquaporin 5, an exocrine-type water channel, in the submandibular gland of Sprague-Dawley rats. Pflugers Arch. 2002;445:405-12 pubmed..Our present study suggests the existence of genetic variation in the expression of a water channel protein, AQP5, in rats. ..
- Nashida T, Yoshie S, Imai A, Shimomura H. Co-localization of rab4 with endocytosis-related proteins in the rat parotid glands. Arch Histol Cytol. 2003;66:45-52 pubmed..Rab5A immunoreactivity was distributed all around the cytoplasm. These findings suggested that Rab4 participates in endocytosis at the apical membrane of parotid glands. ..
- Ducza E, Seres A, Hajagos Tóth J, Falkay G, Gaspar R. Oxytocin regulates the expression of aquaporin 5 in the late-pregnant rat uterus. Mol Reprod Dev. 2014;81:524-30 pubmed publisher..The sudden increase of AQP5 in the blood on the last day of pregnancy may serve as a marker that indicates the initiation of delivery. ..
- SORANI M, Zador Z, Hurowitz E, Yan D, Giacomini K, Manley G. Novel variants in human Aquaporin-4 reduce cellular water permeability. Hum Mol Genet. 2008;17:2379-89 pubmed publisher..Our experiments provide insight into the function of the AQP4 protein. These nsSNPs may have clinical implications for patients with cerebral edema and related disorders. ..
- Nazemi S, Rahbek M, Parhamifar L, Moghimi S, Babamoradi H, Mehrdana F, et al. Reciprocity in the developmental regulation of aquaporins 1, 3 and 5 during pregnancy and lactation in the rat. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e106809 pubmed publisher..The fact that expression was developmentally regulated supports, but does not prove, a regulatory involvement of AQPs in water flux through the milk secretory cell. ..
- Huber V, Tsujita M, Yamazaki M, Sakimura K, Nakada T. Identification of arylsulfonamides as Aquaporin 4 inhibitors. Bioorg Med Chem Lett. 2007;17:1270-3 pubmed..AZA was found to have an IC50 against AQP4 of 0.9 microM. Phloretin was inactive under the same conditions. ..
- Mizumachi Kubono M, Watari I, Ishida Y, Ono T. Unilateral maxillary molar extraction influences AQP5 expression and distribution in the rat submandibular salivary gland. Arch Oral Biol. 2012;57:877-83 pubmed publisher..b>Aquaporin 5 (AQP5) is a membrane protein that forms water channels, and plays an important role in water transport...
- Fabregat G, García de la Asunción J, Sarria B, Mata M, Cortijo J, De Andres J, et al. Expression of aquaporins 1 and 5 in a model of ventilator-induced lung injury and its relation to tidal volume. Exp Physiol. 2016;101:1418-1431 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, mechanical ventilation with a high tidal volume causes lung injury and oedema, increasing lung permeability. In rats ventilated with a high tidal volume, the pulmonary expression of AQP1 decreases. ..
- Ohgusu Y, Ohta K, Ishii M, Katano T, Urano K, Watanabe J, et al. Functional characterization of human aquaporin 9 as a facilitative glycerol carrier. Drug Metab Pharmacokinet. 2008;23:279-84 pubmed
- Rodrigues C, Mósca A, Martins A, Nobre T, Prista C, Antunes F, et al. Rat Aquaporin-5 Is pH-Gated Induced by Phosphorylation and Is Implicated in Oxidative Stress. Int J Mol Sci. 2016;17: pubmed..Our findings support the involvement of AQP5 in oxidative stress and suggest AQP5 modulation by phosphorylation as a novel tool for therapeutics. ..
- Zhang Y, Chen M, Zhang Y, Peng P, Li J, Xin X. miR-96 and miR-330 overexpressed and targeted AQP5 in lipopolysaccharide-induced rat lung damage of disseminated intravascular coagulation. Blood Coagul Fibrinolysis. 2014;25:731-7 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that microRNAs are involved in lung damage in LPS-induced rat DIC and can be a potential target for molecular therapy. ..
- Hatakeyama S, Yoshida Y, Tani T, Koyama Y, Nihei K, Ohshiro K, et al. Cloning of a new aquaporin (AQP10) abundantly expressed in duodenum and jejunum. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2001;287:814-9 pubmed..The specific expression of AQP10 suggests its contribution to the water transport in the upper portion of small intestine. ..
- Yang M, Gao F, Liu H, Yu W, Sun S. Temporal changes in expression of aquaporin-3, -4, -5 and -8 in rat brains after permanent focal cerebral ischemia. Brain Res. 2009;1290:121-32 pubmed publisher..Our findings indicated that dynamic changes of AQP3, -4, -5 and -8 expression could contribute to the development of cerebral edema after brain ischemia. Besides, AQP3, -5 and -8 may be involved in the neuronal swelling. ..
- Yang B, Song Y, Zhao D, Verkman A. Phenotype analysis of aquaporin-8 null mice. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2005;288:C1161-70 pubmed..The mild phenotype of AQP8-null mice was surprising in view of the multiple phenotype abnormalities found in mouse models of AQP1-5 deficiency. ..
- Kamsteeg E, Heijnen I, Van Os C, Deen P. The subcellular localization of an aquaporin-2 tetramer depends on the stoichiometry of phosphorylated and nonphosphorylated monomers. J Cell Biol. 2000;151:919-30 pubmed
- Liu Y, Xi H, Xing W, Gu J. Aquaporin changes in compound 48/80 induced inflammatory sublaryngeal edema in rat. J Voice. 2012;26:815.e17-23 pubmed publisher..AQP1 and AQP5 might play key roles in inflammatory subglottic edema caused by compound 48/80 in rats. AQP1 and AQP5 might be useful molecular targets of clinical treatment of inflammatory laryngeal edema. ..
- Krane C, Fortner C, Hand A, McGraw D, Lorenz J, Wert S, et al. Aquaporin 5-deficient mouse lungs are hyperresponsive to cholinergic stimulation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2001;98:14114-9 pubmedAlthough aquaporin 5 (AQP5) is the major water channel expressed in alveolar type I cells in the lung, its actual role in the lung is a matter of considerable speculation...
- Wang D, Yuan Z, Inoue N, Cho G, Shono M, Ishikawa Y. Abnormal subcellular localization of AQP5 and downregulated AQP5 protein in parotid glands of streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2011;1810:543-54 pubmed publisher..Lack of AQP5 translocation in the salivary gland in response to a muscarinic agonist and downregulation of AQP5 protein might lead to diabetic xerostomia. Cevimeline is useful to cure diabetic xerostomia under insulin administration. ..
- Hub J, de Groot B. Mechanism of selectivity in aquaporins and aquaglyceroporins. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:1198-203 pubmed publisher..Hence, a hydrophobic effect, together with steric restraints, determines the selectivity of aquaporins. ..
- Rabb H, Wang Z, Nemoto T, Hotchkiss J, Yokota N, Soleimani M. Acute renal failure leads to dysregulation of lung salt and water channels. Kidney Int. 2003;63:600-6 pubmed..These changes may modulate lung dysfunction, susceptibility to lung injury, or both. ..
- Ishikawa Y, Cho G, Yuan Z, Inoue N, Nakae Y. Aquaporin-5 water channel in lipid rafts of rat parotid glands. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2006;1758:1053-60 pubmed..This review focuses on the mechanisms of AQP5 translocation together with lipid rafts to the APM in the interlobular duct cells of parotid glands of normal rats and the impairment of AQP5 translocation in diabetes and senescence. ..
- Song Y, Sonawane N, Verkman A. Localization of aquaporin-5 in sweat glands and functional analysis using knockout mice. J Physiol. 2002;541:561-8 pubmed..These results indicate the expression of AQP5 in sweat gland secretory epithelium, but provide direct evidence against its physiological involvement in sweat fluid secretion in mice...
- Varadaraj K, Kumari S, Patil R, Wax M, Mathias R. Functional characterization of a human aquaporin 0 mutation that leads to a congenital dominant lens cataract. Exp Eye Res. 2008;87:9-21 pubmed publisher..Cataracts in patients with this mutation might have resulted from the above mentioned consequences. ..
- Tsukaguchi H, Weremowicz S, Morton C, Hediger M. Functional and molecular characterization of the human neutral solute channel aquaporin-9. Am J Physiol. 1999;277:F685-96 pubmed..1-22.2. Our data show that hAQP9 serves as a promiscuous solute channel expressed in both liver and peripheral leukocytes, where it is ideally suited to transport of metabolites and/or nutrients into and out of these cells ..
- Tan L, Xu F, Kuang F. [Expression and modulation of aquaporin 5 in hyperoxia induced lung injury]. Zhongguo Wei Zhong Bing Ji Jiu Yi Xue. 2006;18:462-5 pubmedTo explore the expression and the modulation of aquaporin 5(AQP5) in hyperoxia induced lung injury...
- Lu P, Hong S. [Effect of intra nasally applied fluticasone propionate and levocabastine on the expression of aquaporin 5 in nasal mucosa of rat with experimental allergic rhinitis]. Lin Chung Er Bi Yan Hou Tou Jing Wai Ke Za Zhi. 2009;23:939-41 pubmedTo investigate the expression and distribution of aquaporin 5 (AQP5) in allergic rhinitis (AR) treated by fluticasone propionate and levocabastine. Forty Wistar rats were divided randomly into AR (n=30) and control groups (n=10)...
- Xie Y, Chen C, Wang J, Qian G, Wang Y, Xiao Z. [Experimental study on the expression and function of aquaporin-1 and aquaporin-5 in rats with acute lung injury induced by lipopolysaccharide]. Zhonghua Jie He He Hu Xi Za Zhi. 2005;28:385-9 pubmed..794 +/- 0.015, 0.787 +/- 0.022; all P < 0.01). AQP-1 and AQP-5 may play a role in abnormal fluid transportation and probably involve in the formation of pulmonary edema in ALI/ARDS. ..
- Starowicz A, Grzesiak M, Mobasheri A, Szoltys M. Immunolocalization of aquaporin 5 during rat ovarian follicle development and expansion of the preovulatory cumulus oophorus. Acta Histochem. 2014;116:457-65 pubmed publisherImmunofluorescent localization of aquaporin 5 (AQP5) was investigated in rat ovarian follicles during development and preovulatory cumulus oophorus expansion. Ampullary cumuli oophori complexes (COCs) were examined...
- Francis P, Chung J, Yasui M, Berry V, Moore A, Wyatt M, et al. Functional impairment of lens aquaporin in two families with dominantly inherited cataracts. Hum Mol Genet. 2000;9:2329-34 pubmed..Moreover, these observations predict that less severe defects in the AQP0 protein may contribute to lens opacity in patients with common, less fulminant forms of cataracts. ..
- Raina S, Preston G, Guggino W, Agre P. Molecular cloning and characterization of an aquaporin cDNA from salivary, lacrimal, and respiratory tissues. J Biol Chem. 1995;270:1908-12 pubmed..These studies have identified a new mammalian member of the Aquaporin water channel family (gene symbol AQP5) which is implicated in the generation of saliva, tears, and pulmonary secretions. ..
- Verkman A, Yang B, Song Y, Manley G, Ma T. Role of water channels in fluid transport studied by phenotype analysis of aquaporin knockout mice. Exp Physiol. 2000;85 Spec No:233S-241S pubmed..The physiological data on aquaporin null mice suggest the utility of aquaporin blockers and aquaporin gene replacement in selected human diseases. ..
- Tao B, Liu L, Wang N, Wang W, Jiang J, Zhang J. Effects of hydrogen-rich saline on aquaporin 1, 5 in septic rat lungs. J Surg Res. 2016;202:291-8 pubmed publisher..Moreover, HRS treatment inhibited LPS-induced activation of p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase and jun N-terminal kinase, which is associated with LPS-induced downregulation of AQP1 and AQP5. ..
- Yakata K, Tani K, Fujiyoshi Y. Water permeability and characterization of aquaporin-11. J Struct Biol. 2011;174:315-20 pubmed publisher..Our findings indicate that AQP11 could be involved in slow but constant water movement across the membrane. ..
- Hansen A, Galtung H. Aquaporin expression and cell volume regulation in the SV40 immortalized rat submandibular acinar cell line. Pflugers Arch. 2007;453:787-96 pubmed..b>Aquaporin 5 (AQP5) mRNA and protein levels were upregulated in hyperosmotic conditions and downregulated upon return to ..
- Kuriyama H, Kawamoto S, Ishida N, Ohno I, Mita S, Matsuzawa Y, et al. Molecular cloning and expression of a novel human aquaporin from adipose tissue with glycerol permeability. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1997;241:53-8 pubmed..Northern blot analysis demonstrated that the mRNA is abundant in adipose tissue, but not in other tissues. Thus, this gene product may participate in glycerol transport in adipocytes. ..
- Wang G, Chen H, Ren F, Li J, Li Y. [Expression of Cav-1, AQP1 and AQP5 in lung of acute pancreatitis-associated lung injury rats and the therapeutic role of Qingyitang]. Zhonghua Yi Xue Za Zhi. 2010;90:2564-9 pubmed..The down-regulated expression of these three molecules may play important role in acute pancreatitis-associated lung injury. DEX and QYT may relieve lung injury effectively by up-regulating the expressions of Cav-1, AQP1 and AQP5. ..
- Sugimoto N, Matsuzaki K, Ishibashi H, Tanaka M, Sawaki T, Fujita Y, et al. Upregulation of aquaporin expression in the salivary glands of heat-acclimated rats. Sci Rep. 2013;3:1763 pubmed publisher..Because AQPs probably plays a crucial role in saliva secretion in humans, these findings may lead to a novel strategy for treating saliva hyposecretion. ..
- Zhou B, Francis T, Yang H, Tseng W, Zhong Q, Frenkel B, et al. GATA-6 mediates transcriptional activation of aquaporin-5 through interactions with Sp1. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2008;295:C1141-50 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that transcriptional activation of AQP5 by GATA-6 is mediated at least in part through cooperative interactions with Sp1 occurring at the proximal promoter. ..
- Koyama N, Ishibashi K, Kuwahara M, Inase N, Ichioka M, Sasaki S, et al. Cloning and functional expression of human aquaporin8 cDNA and analysis of its gene. Genomics. 1998;54:169-72 pubmed..AQP8 was not permeable to urea nor to glycerol. The AQP8 gene has five introns, and the locations of exon-intron boundaries were different from those of the other mammalian aquaporins, suggesting its separate phylogenetic origin. ..