Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Ank2
Description: ankyrin 2
Alias: Ank3, ankyrin-2, LOW QUALITY PROTEIN: ankyrin-2, ankyrin 2, brain, ankyrin 2, neuronal, ankyrin 3, epithelial
- Garver T, Ren Q, Tuvia S, Bennett V. Tyrosine phosphorylation at a site highly conserved in the L1 family of cell adhesion molecules abolishes ankyrin binding and increases lateral mobility of neurofascin. J Cell Biol. 1997;137:703-14 pubmed
- Cunha S, Bhasin N, Mohler P. Targeting and stability of Na/Ca exchanger 1 in cardiomyocytes requires direct interaction with the membrane adaptor ankyrin-B. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:4875-83 pubmed..These results raise exciting new questions regarding potentially dynamic roles for ankyrin proteins in the biogenesis and maintenance of specialized membrane domains in excitable cells. ..
- Cunha S, Hund T, Hashemi S, Voigt N, Li N, Wright P, et al. Defects in ankyrin-based membrane protein targeting pathways underlie atrial fibrillation. Circulation. 2011;124:1212-22 pubmed publisher..b>ANK2 encodes ankyrin-B, a multifunctional adapter molecule implicated in membrane targeting of ion channels, ..
- Mohler P, Davis J, Bennett V. Ankyrin-B coordinates the Na/K ATPase, Na/Ca exchanger, and InsP3 receptor in a cardiac T-tubule/SR microdomain. PLoS Biol. 2005;3:e423 pubmed..Ankyrin-B also is not abundantly expressed in smooth muscle. We propose that the ankyrin-B-based complex is a specialized adaptation of cardiomyocytes with a role for cytosolic Ca2+ modulation. ..
- Mohler P, Yoon W, Bennett V. Ankyrin-B targets beta2-spectrin to an intracellular compartment in neonatal cardiomyocytes. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:40185-93 pubmed..This work also establishes a functional hierarchy in which ankyrin-B determines the localization of beta(2)-spectrin and operates independently of beta(2)-spectrin in its role in organizing membrane-spanning proteins. ..
- Sakaue M, Takanaga H, Adachi T, Hara S, Kunimoto M. Selective disappearance of an axonal protein, 440-kDa ankyrinB, associated with neuronal degeneration induced by methylmercury. J Neurosci Res. 2003;73:831-9 pubmed..Therefore, 440-kDa ankyrinB should be useful as a specific and sensitive marker for the neurotoxicity of methylmercury. ..
- Dickson T, Mintz C, Benson D, Salton S. Functional binding interaction identified between the axonal CAM L1 and members of the ERM family. J Cell Biol. 2002;157:1105-12 pubmed..Together, our data indicate that L1 binds directly to members of the ERM family and suggest this association may coordinate aspects of axonal morphogenesis. ..
- Mohler P, Gramolini A, Bennett V. The ankyrin-B C-terminal domain determines activity of ankyrin-B/G chimeras in rescue of abnormal inositol 1,4,5-trisphosphate and ryanodine receptor distribution in ankyrin-B (-/-) neonatal cardiomyocytes. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:10599-607 pubmed..C-terminal domains are the most divergent between ankyrin isoforms and are candidates to encode the signal(s) that enable ankyrins to selectively target proteins to diverse cellular sites. ..
- Kunimoto M, Adachi T, Ishido M. Expression and localization of brain ankyrin isoforms and related proteins during early developmental stages of rat nervous system. J Neurochem. 1998;71:2585-92 pubmed
- Li J, Kline C, Hund T, Anderson M, Mohler P. Ankyrin-B regulates Kir6.2 membrane expression and function in heart. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:28723-30 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our new findings define a new role for cardiac ankyrin polypeptides in regulation of ion channel membrane expression in heart...
- Wu H, Yamankurt G, Luo J, Subramaniam J, Hashmi S, Hu H, et al. Identification and characterization of two ankyrin-B isoforms in mammalian heart. Cardiovasc Res. 2015;107:466-77 pubmed publisher..The identification and characterization of two functionally distinct ankyrin-B isoforms in heart provide compelling evidence that alternative splicing of the ANK2 gene regulates the fidelity of ankyrin-B interactions with proteins.
- Kline C, Kurata H, Hund T, Cunha S, Koval O, Wright P, et al. Dual role of K ATP channel C-terminal motif in membrane targeting and metabolic regulation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:16669-74 pubmed publisher..Thus, the K(ATP) channel ABM serves as a previously unrecognized bifunctional touch-point for grading K(ATP) channel gating and membrane targeting and may play a fundamental role in controlling excitable cell metabolic regulation. ..
- Kizhatil K, Sandhu N, Peachey N, Bennett V. Ankyrin-B is required for coordinated expression of beta-2-spectrin, the Na/K-ATPase and the Na/Ca exchanger in the inner segment of rod photoreceptors. Exp Eye Res. 2009;88:57-64 pubmed publisher..These results are consistent with a mechanism where ankyrin-B is required to restrict the Na/K-ATPase and Na/Ca exchanger to the inner segment of rod photoreceptors by tethering these membrane proteins to beta-2-spectrin. ..
- Le Scouarnec S, Bhasin N, Vieyres C, Hund T, Cunha S, Koval O, et al. Dysfunction in ankyrin-B-dependent ion channel and transporter targeting causes human sinus node disease. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:15617-22 pubmed publisher..We mapped two families with highly penetrant and severe SND to the human ANK2 (ankyrin-B/AnkB) locus...
- Cunha S, Mohler P. Obscurin targets ankyrin-B and protein phosphatase 2A to the cardiac M-line. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:31968-80 pubmed publisher..In summary, our new findings demonstrate that ANK2 is subject to alternative splicing that gives rise to unique polypeptides with diverse roles in cardiac function.
- Bhasin N, Cunha S, Mudannayake M, Gigena M, Rogers T, Mohler P. Molecular basis for PP2A regulatory subunit B56alpha targeting in cardiomyocytes. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2007;293:H109-19 pubmed..These new data implicate ankyrin-B as a critical targeting component for PP2A in heart and identify a new class of signaling proteins targeted by ankyrin polypeptides. ..
- Mohler P, Le Scouarnec S, Denjoy I, Lowe J, Guicheney P, Caron L, et al. Defining the cellular phenotype of "ankyrin-B syndrome" variants: human ANK2 variants associated with clinical phenotypes display a spectrum of activities in cardiomyocytes. Circulation. 2007;115:432-41 pubmedMutations in the ankyrin-B gene (ANK2) cause type 4 long-QT syndrome and have been described in kindreds with other arrhythmias...
- Ogawa Y, Schafer D, Horresh I, Bar V, Hales K, Yang Y, et al. Spectrins and ankyrinB constitute a specialized paranodal cytoskeleton. J Neurosci. 2006;26:5230-9 pubmed..Our results demonstrate that the paranodal junction contains specialized cytoskeletal components that may be important to stabilize axon-glia interactions and contribute to the membrane protein diffusion barrier found at paranodes. ..
- Lopez C, Metral S, Eladari D, Drevensek S, Gane P, Chambrey R, et al. The ammonium transporter RhBG: requirement of a tyrosine-based signal and ankyrin-G for basolateral targeting and membrane anchorage in polarized kidney epithelial cells. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:8221-8 pubmed