Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Amd1
Description: adenosylmethionine decarboxylase 1
Alias: Amd1a, Amd1b, S-adenosylmethionine decarboxylase proenzyme, S-Adenosylmethionine decarboxylase 1B, S-adenosylmethionine decarboxylase 1, S-adenosylmethionine decarboxylase 1A, SAMDC, adoMetDC
- Pulkka A, Keränen M, Salmela A, Salmikangas P, Ihalainen R, Pajunen A. Nucleotide sequence of rat S-adenosylmethionine decarboxylase cDNA. Comparison with an intronless rat pseudogene. Gene. 1990;86:193-9 pubmedDue to two different polyadenylation signals, two forms of S-adenosylmethionine decarboxylase (AdoMetDC) mRNA (2.1 and 3.4 kb) are present in human and rodent tissues...
- Higaki I, Matsui Yuasa I, Hirohashi K, Kinoshita H, Otani S. The role of polyamines in growth factor induced DNA synthesis in cultured rat hepatocytes. Hepatogastroenterology. 1999;46:1874-9 pubmed..The inhibition was reversed by exogenous spermidine or spermine, but not by putrescine. Increased spermidine or spermine levels are essential for hepatocyte proliferation in cultured rat hepatocytes. ..
- Nishimura K, Kashiwagi K, Matsuda Y, Janne O, Igarashi K. Gene structure and chromosomal localization of mouse S-adenosylmethionine decarboxylase. Gene. 1999;238:343-50 pubmedThe structure of the mouse S-adenosylmethionine decarboxylase (AdoMetDC) gene has been determined. The mouse gene (AMD1) consisted of eight exons and seven introns, similar to the rat AdoMetDC gene, and was mapped to chromosome 10...
- Bernal Mizrachi C, Gates A, Weng S, Imamura T, Knutsen R, DeSantis P, et al. Vascular respiratory uncoupling increases blood pressure and atherosclerosis. Nature. 2005;435:502-6 pubmed..These results provide proof of principle that inefficient metabolism in blood vessels can cause vascular disease. ..
- Ray R, Viar M, Yuan Q, Johnson L. Polyamine depletion delays apoptosis of rat intestinal epithelial cells. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2000;278:C480-9 pubmed..The above results indicate that polyamine depletion delays the onset of apoptosis in IEC-6 cells and confers protection against DNA damaging agents, suggesting that polyamines might be involved in the caspase activating signal cascade...
- Wallace H, Fraser A, Hughes A. A perspective of polyamine metabolism. Biochem J. 2003;376:1-14 pubmed..The future will be in adopting a functional genomics approach to identifying polyamine-regulated genes linked to either carcinogenesis or apoptosis. ..
- Lu S, Mato J. S-adenosylmethionine in liver health, injury, and cancer. Physiol Rev. 2012;92:1515-42 pubmed publisher..In experimental models, it is effective as a chemopreventive agent in HCC and perhaps other forms of cancer as well. ..