Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Alas2
Description: 5'-aminolevulinate synthase 2
Alias: 5-aminolevulinate synthase, erythroid-specific, mitochondrial, 5-aminolevulinic acid synthase 2, ALAS-E, Aminolevulinate synthase 2, delta, aminolevulinate, delta-, synthase 2, aminolevulinic acid synthase 2, erythroid, aminolevulinic acid synthase 2, erythroid-like, delta-ALA synthase 2, delta-ALA synthetase, delta-aminolevulinate synthase 2, erythroid-specific delta-aminolevulinate synthase ALAS-E
- Lee P, Barton J, Rao S, Acton R, Adler B, Beutler E. Three kinships with ALAS2 P520L (c. 1559 C --> T) mutation, two in association with severe iron overload, and one with sideroblastic anemia and severe iron overload. Blood Cells Mol Dis. 2006;36:292-7 pubmedMutations in aminolevulinate synthase 2 (ALAS2) are usually associated with sideroblastic anemia and iron overload...
- Dhar S, Takiguchi M, Arizono K, Ariyoshi T, Wakabayashi T. Nature of heme metabolizing enzymes in a mutant rat with hyperbilirubinuria. Res Commun Chem Pathol Pharmacol. 1993;80:329-36 pubmed..The activity of heme oxygenase by CdCl2, a inducer of heme oxygenase, was considerably higher in EHBR than in control rats. These results indicate some specific hypersensitivity for heme metabolizing enzymes in EHBR. ..
- Haraguchi T, Yanaka N, Eguchi Y, Kudo T, Hirata A, Kato N. Fish oil feeding up-regulates the expression of 5-aminolevulinate synthase 2 mRNA in rat brain. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2011;75:1383-5 pubmed..the effect of fish oil on gene expression in the cerebral cortex, and found that 5-aminolevulinate synthase 2 (ALAS2) mRNA expression was up-regulated by fish oil feeding...
- Srivastava R, Dwivedi R, Kaur G, Srivastava R. Haem and drug-metabolizing enzymes in regenerating rat liver. Br J Exp Pathol. 1982;63:1-4 pubmed
- Ganter B, Tugendreich S, Pearson C, Ayanoglu E, Baumhueter S, Bostian K, et al. Development of a large-scale chemogenomics database to improve drug candidate selection and to understand mechanisms of chemical toxicity and action. J Biotechnol. 2005;119:219-44 pubmed..We will demonstrate that gene expression events monitored in the liver can be used to predict pathological events occurring in that tissue as well as in hematopoietic tissues. ..
- Cotter P, Rucknagel D, Bishop D. X-linked sideroblastic anemia: identification of the mutation in the erythroid-specific delta-aminolevulinate synthase gene (ALAS2) in the original family described by Cooley. Blood. 1994;84:3915-24 pubmed..in XLSA was identified as the deficient activity of the erythroid-specific form of delta-aminolevulinate synthase (ALAS2), the first enzyme in the heme biosynthetic pathway...
- Furuyama K, Sassa S. Interaction between succinyl CoA synthetase and the heme-biosynthetic enzyme ALAS-E is disrupted in sideroblastic anemia. J Clin Invest. 2000;105:757-64 pubmed
- Cazzola M, May A, Bergamaschi G, Cerani P, Rosti V, Bishop D. Familial-skewed X-chromosome inactivation as a predisposing factor for late-onset X-linked sideroblastic anemia in carrier females. Blood. 2000;96:4363-5 pubmed..sideroblastic anemia (XLSA) is caused by mutations in the erythroid-specific 5-aminolevulinic acid synthase (ALAS2) gene. An elderly woman who presented with an acquired sideroblastic anemia is studied...
- To Figueras J, Ducamp S, Clayton J, Badenas C, Delaby C, Ged C, et al. ALAS2 acts as a modifier gene in patients with congenital erythropoietic porphyria. Blood. 2011;118:1443-51 pubmed publisher..X-linked dominant protoporphyria (XLDPP), which results from increased activity of 5-aminolevulinate synthase 2 (ALAS2), the rate-controlling enzyme of erythroid heme synthesis, led us to hypothesize that the CEP phenotype may be ..
- Uehara T, Kondo C, Yamate J, Torii M, Maruyama T. A toxicogenomic approach for identifying biomarkers for myelosuppressive anemia in rats. Toxicology. 2011;282:139-45 pubmed publisher..Expression of the hemoglobin beta chain complex (Hbb), aminolevulinic acid synthase 2 (Alas2), and cell division cycle 25 homolog B (Cdc25b) genes changed as a result of anemia induced by the ..
- Senda N, Hoshi K, Fujino S. Effects of perphenazine, chlorpromazine or CoCl2 on the activities of delta-aminolevulinic acid synthetase and heme oxygenase and on the content of hemoprotein in rat liver. Res Commun Chem Pathol Pharmacol. 1989;65:57-64 pubmed..In addition, CPZ resulted in a marked decrease of total heme content, but this content was not changed by PPZ. ..
- Ho Chen J, Bustamante J, Soares M. Prolactin-like protein-f subfamily of placental hormones/cytokines: responsiveness to maternal hypoxia. Endocrinology. 2007;148:559-65 pubmed
- Rokushima M, Omi K, Araki A, Kyokawa Y, Furukawa N, Itoh F, et al. A toxicogenomic approach revealed hepatic gene expression changes mechanistically linked to drug-induced hemolytic anemia. Toxicol Sci. 2007;95:474-84 pubmed..They were Alas2, beta-glo, Eraf, Hmox1, Lgals3, and Rhced...
- Nakajima O, Takahashi S, Harigae H, Furuyama K, Hayashi N, Sassa S, et al. Heme deficiency in erythroid lineage causes differentiation arrest and cytoplasmic iron overload. EMBO J. 1999;18:6282-9 pubmed..These results demonstrate that ALAS-E, and hence heme supply, is necessary for differentiation and iron metabolism of erythroid cells. ..
- Bustamante J, Dai G, Soares M. Pregnancy and lactation modulate maternal splenic growth and development of the erythroid lineage in the rat and mouse. Reprod Fertil Dev. 2008;20:303-10 pubmed..In summary, the demands of pregnancy and lactation cause marked adaptations in the maternal spleen. The maternal spleen increases in size and exhibits an expansion of the erythroid lineage. ..
- Ajioka R, Phillips J, Kushner J. Biosynthesis of heme in mammals. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2006;1763:723-36 pubmed..The biochemistry, structural biology and the mechanisms of tissue-specific regulation are presented in this review along with the key features of the porphyric disorders. ..
- Meguro K, Igarashi K, Yamamoto M, Fujita H, Sassa S. The role of the erythroid-specific delta-aminolevulinate synthase gene expression in erythroid heme synthesis. Blood. 1995;86:940-8 pubmed..These findings thus indicate that heme formation, which is determined by the level of ALAS-E, plays an essential role on gene expression of many proteins necessary for erythroid development. ..
- Munakata H, Yamagami T, Nagai T, Yamamoto M, Hayashi N. Purification and structure of rat erythroid-specific delta-aminolevulinate synthase. J Biochem. 1993;114:103-11 pubmed..Analysis of the papain-resistant core domain further revealed that it overlaps with the evolutionally conserved segment that has been noticed by sequence alignment analysis of ALA synthases from various species. ..
- Jaronczyk K, Bui L, Soong J, McLaughlin B, Marks G, Brien J, et al. The source of heme for vascular heme oxygenase II: de novo heme biosynthesis in rat aorta. Can J Physiol Pharmacol. 2004;82:218-24 pubmed