Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Adm
Alias: H39316, RATAP, ADM
- Hwang I, Autelitano D, Wong P, Leung G, Tang F. Co-expression of adrenomedullin and adrenomedullin receptors in rat epididymis: distinct physiological actions on anion transport. Biol Reprod. 2003;68:2005-12 pubmed..Our results demonstrate the presence of AM, preproAM mRNA, AM receptors, and specific-binding sites in the rat epididymis as well as the possible role of AM in the regulation of electrolyte and fluid secretion in the epididymis. ..
- Ichikawa Shindo Y, Sakurai T, Kamiyoshi A, Kawate H, Iinuma N, Yoshizawa T, et al. The GPCR modulator protein RAMP2 is essential for angiogenesis and vascular integrity. J Clin Invest. 2008;118:29-39 pubmed..Our findings in human cells and in mice demonstrate that RAMP2 is a key determinant of the effects of AM on the vasculature and is essential for angiogenesis and vascular integrity. ..
- Yang J, Wu R, Qiang X, Zhou M, Dong W, Ji Y, et al. Human adrenomedullin and its binding protein attenuate organ injury and reduce mortality after hepatic ischemia-reperfusion. Ann Surg. 2009;249:310-7 pubmed publisher..Human AM/AMBP-1 may be a novel treatment to attenuate tissue injury after an episode of hepatic ischemia. ..
- Li Y, Li L, Hwang I, Tang F, O W. Coexpression of adrenomedullin and its receptors in the reproductive system of the rat: effects on steroid secretion in rat ovary. Biol Reprod. 2008;79:200-8 pubmed publisherThe present study demonstrates the expression of adrenomedullin (ADM) in the reproductive system of the female rat and its effect on the secretion of estradiol and progesterone...
- Carrizo G, Wu R, Cui X, Dwivedi A, Simms H, Wang P. Adrenomedullin and adrenomedullin-binding protein-1 downregulate inflammatory cytokines and attenuate tissue injury after gut ischemia-reperfusion. Surgery. 2007;141:245-53 pubmed..Administration of AM/AMBP-1 after ischemia, however, markedly reduced cytokine levels, attenuated tissue injury, and improved survival. AM/AMBP-1 may be a novel treatment to attenuate the reperfusion injury after gut ischemia. ..
- Iemura Inaba C, Nishikimi T, Akimoto K, Yoshihara F, Minamino N, Matsuoka H. Role of adrenomedullin system in lipid metabolism and its signaling mechanism in cultured adipocytes. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2008;295:R1376-84 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that AM and its receptor component are highly expressed in cultured adipocytes and may play a role in lipid metabolism via a different signaling pathway. ..
- Wu R, Higuchi S, Dong W, Ji Y, Zhou M, Marini C, et al. Reversing established sepsis in rats with human vasoactive hormone adrenomedullin and its binding protein. Mol Med. 2009;15:28-33 pubmed publisher..Thus, human AM/AMBP-1 can be further developed as a safe and effective therapy for patients with established sepsis. ..
- Witlin A, Li Z, Wimalawansa S, Grady J, Grafe M, Yallampalli C. Placental and fetal growth and development in late rat gestation is dependent on adrenomedullin. Biol Reprod. 2002;67:1025-31 pubmed..Adrenomedullin contributes to angiogenesis, functions as a growth factor, and helps regulate vascular tone during rat gestation. ..
- Shah K, Rajan D, Jacob A, Wu R, Krishnasastry K, Nicastro J, et al. Attenuation of renal ischemia and reperfusion injury by human adrenomedullin and its binding protein. J Surg Res. 2010;163:110-7 pubmed publisher..Thus, human AM combined with human AMBP-1 may be developed as a novel treatment for patients with acute renal I/R injury. ..
- Li Y, Hwang I, O W, Tang F. Adrenomedullin peptide: gene expression of adrenomedullin, its receptors and receptor activity modifying proteins, and receptor binding in rat testis--actions on testosterone secretion. Biol Reprod. 2006;75:183-8 pubmedAdrenomedullin (ADM) has been shown to be present in the human and rat male reproductive systems. This study demonstrates the expression of ADM in the rat testis and its effect on the secretion of testosterone...
- Xu Y, Krukoff T. Adrenomedullin stimulates nitric oxide production from primary rat hypothalamic neurons: roles of calcium and phosphatases. Mol Pharmacol. 2007;72:112-20 pubmedAdrenomedullin (ADM) in the brain plays important roles in the maintenance of homeostasis...
- Nørregaard R, Bødker T, Jensen B, Stødkilde L, Nielsen S, Frøkiaer J. Increased renal adrenomedullin expression in rats with ureteral obstruction. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2009;296:R185-92 pubmed publisher..Hypoxia acting through HIF-1alpha accumulation may be an important pathway for the renal response to ureteral obstruction...
- Belloni A, Petrelli L, Guidolin D, De Toni R, Bova S, Spinazzi R, et al. Identification and localization of adrenomedullin-storing cardiac mast cells. Int J Mol Med. 2006;17:709-13 pubmed..Collectively, our findings provide evidence that at least a subset of cardiac mast cells are able to synthesize and store AM, and upon stimulation to release it near coronary arterioles and venules. ..
- Takei Y, Hashimoto H, Inoue K, Osaki T, Yoshizawa Kumagaye K, Tsunemi M, et al. Central and peripheral cardiovascular actions of adrenomedullin 5, a novel member of the calcitonin gene-related peptide family, in mammals. J Endocrinol. 2008;197:391-400 pubmed publisher..These data indicate that AM5 seems to act on as yet unknown receptor(s) for AM5, other than CLR/CTR+RAMP, to exert central and peripheral cardiovascular actions in mammals. ..
- Li Y, O W, Tang F. Effect of aging on the expression of adrenomedullin and its receptor component proteins in the male reproductive system of the rat. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2007;62:1346-51 pubmed..The decreases in these receptors were similar in the epididymis. The results suggest possible roles of AM in the male reproductive system during aging. ..
- Zakareia F, Alderees A, Al Regaiy K, Alrouq F. Correlation of electroretinography b-wave absolute latency, plasma levels of human basic fibroblast growth factor, vascular endothelial growth factor, soluble fatty acid synthase, and adrenomedullin in diabetic retinopathy. J Diabetes Complications. 2010;24:179-85 pubmed publisher..factor (b-FGF), vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF), soluble fatty acid synthase (s-Fas), and adrenomedullin (ADM) in diabetic retinopathy. Thirty control and 60 type II diabetic women (mean age 45+/-3...
- Man S, Hwang I, Li Y, O W, Sheng H, Tang F. Differential regulation of adrenomedullin gene expression in the fundic and pyloric regions of the rat stomach during acute and chronic starvation. Neuropeptides. 2007;41:177-87 pubmed..The present study suggests that the gene expression of preproadrenomedullin mRNA is differentially regulated by starvation in the different parts of the stomach. ..
- Soultanova A, Mikulski Z, Pfeil U, Grau V, Kummer W. Calcitonin Peptide Family Members Are Differentially Regulated by LPS and Inhibit Functions of Rat Alveolar NR8383 Macrophages. PLoS ONE. 2016;11:e0163483 pubmed publisher..Since peptide and receptor expression are up-regulated by LPS, these signaling pathways might act as inhibitory feedback mechanisms in pulmonary bacterial infection. ..
- Hwang I, Tang F, Leung P, Li Y, Fan S, Luk J. The gene expression of adrenomedullin, calcitonin-receptor-like receptor and receptor activity modifying proteins (RAMPs) in CCl4-induced rat liver cirrhosis. Regul Pept. 2006;135:69-77 pubmed..Given the potent vasodilatory action of AM, the increase in the synthesis and release of AM in the cirrhotic liver may also contribute to peripheral vasodilatation in liver cirrhosis. ..
- Tokudome T, Horio T, Yoshihara F, Suga S, Kawano Y, Kohno M, et al. Adrenomedullin inhibits doxorubicin-induced cultured rat cardiac myocyte apoptosis via a cAMP-dependent mechanism. Endocrinology. 2002;143:3515-21 pubmed..AM, as an autocrine factor, may play a protective role against cardiomyocyte injury by doxorubicin. ..
- Dackor R, Fritz Six K, Dunworth W, Gibbons C, Smithies O, Caron K. Hydrops fetalis, cardiovascular defects, and embryonic lethality in mice lacking the calcitonin receptor-like receptor gene. Mol Cell Biol. 2006;26:2511-8 pubmed..The Calcrl gene targeted mice provide the first in vivo genetic evidence that CLR functions as an AM receptor during embryonic development. ..
- Tsuruda T, Kato J, Hatakeyama K, Yamashita A, Nakamura K, Imamura T, et al. Adrenomedullin in mast cells of abdominal aortic aneurysm. Cardiovasc Res. 2006;70:158-64 pubmed..The present study suggests an anti-fibrotic role for AM released from mast cells, providing new insight into the biological actions of mast cell-derived AM in the development of AAA. ..
- Chen L, Kis B, Busija D, Yamashita H, Ueta Y. Adrenomedullin protects rat cerebral endothelial cells from oxidant damage in vitro. Regul Pept. 2005;130:27-34 pubmed..These results suggest that AM treatment protects CECs against oxidative injury. ..
- Mittra S, Hyvelin J, Shan Q, Tang F, Bourreau J. Role of cyclooxygenase in ventricular effects of adrenomedullin: is adrenomedullin a double-edged sword in sepsis?. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2004;286:H1034-42 pubmedAdrenomedullin (ADM) is upregulated in cardiac tissue under various pathophysiological conditions. However, the direct inotropic effect of ADM on normal and compromised cardiomyocytes is not clear...
- Cao Y, Kitamura K, Kato J, Kuwasako K, Ito K, Onitsuka H, et al. Chronic salt loading upregulates expression of adrenomedullin and its receptors in adrenal glands and kidneys of the rat. Hypertension. 2003;42:369-72 pubmed..Taken together, these results suggest that AM plays a role in the regulation of water and electrolyte balance in animals chronically ingesting high levels of salt. ..
- Clementi G, Caruso A, Cutuli V, Mangano N, Salomone S, Lempereur L, et al. Gastroprotective effect of adrenomedullin administered subcutaneously in the rat. Peptides. 2002;23:1149-53 pubmed..These results suggest that adrenomedullin exerts its antiulcer effect, when it is administered subcutaneously (s.c.), probably by a mechanism which involves somatostatin related transmission. ..
- Idrovo J, Yang W, Jacob A, Ajakaiye M, Cheyuo C, Wang Z, et al. Combination of adrenomedullin with its binding protein accelerates cutaneous wound healing. PLoS ONE. 2015;10:e0120225 pubmed publisher..Treatment also shortened the days to reach plateau for wound closure. Thus, AM/AMBP-1 may be further developed as a therapeutic for cutaneous wound healing. ..
- Gao H, Liebenthal D, Yallampalli U, Yallampalli C. Adrenomedullin promotes rat trophoblast stem cell differentiation. Biol Reprod. 2014;91:65 pubmed publisherAccumulating data suggest that adrenomedullin (ADM) regulates the trophoblast cell growth, migration, and invasion. However, the effect of ADM on trophoblast differentiation is poorly understood...
- Hirsch A, McCuen R, Arimura A, Schubert M. Adrenomedullin stimulates somatostatin and thus inhibits histamine and acid secretion in the fundus of the stomach. Regul Pept. 2003;110:189-95 pubmed..This represents one mechanism by which adrenomedullin might enhance mucosal defense and repair. ..
- Musson D, McLachlan J, Sloan A, Smith A, Cooper P. Adrenomedullin is expressed during rodent dental tissue development and promotes cell growth and mineralization. Biol Cell. 2010;102:145-57 pubmed publisherb>ADM (adrenomedullin) has pleiotropic effects, including regulation of inflammation, infection, angiogenesis, mineralized-tissue formation and development...
- Vadivel A, Abozaid S, van Haaften T, Sawicka M, Eaton F, Chen M, et al. Adrenomedullin promotes lung angiogenesis, alveolar development, and repair. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. 2010;43:152-60 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest a role for AM during normal alveolar development. AM may have therapeutic potential in diseases associated with alveolar injury. ..
- Al Omari M, Khaleghi M, Mosley T, Turner S, Morgenthaler N, Struck J, et al. Mid-regional pro-adrenomedullin is associated with pulse pressure, left ventricular mass, and albuminuria in African Americans with hypertension. Am J Hypertens. 2009;22:860-6 pubmed publisher..Biomarkers for early detection of target-organ damage in this ethnic group are needed. Adrenomedullin (ADM) is a circulating vasoactive peptide with vasodilatory and antiproliferative effects that has been reported to be ..
- Dschietzig T, Richter C, Asswad L, Baumann G, Stangl K. Hypoxic induction of receptor activity-modifying protein 2 alters regulation of pulmonary endothelin-1 by adrenomedullin: induction under normoxia versus inhibition under hypoxia. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2007;321:409-19 pubmed..This hypoxia-related switch of AM signaling can be attributed to up-regulation of the RAMP2/AM1 receptor system. ..
- Caliumi C, Cianci R, Celi M, Cerci S, Cotesta D, Petramala L, et al. Plasma adrenomedullin concentrations in patients with renovascular or malignant hypertension. Minerva Cardioangiol. 2004;52:313-22 pubmed..RAS was activated in patients with MHT and RVH suggesting that activation of this system may contribute to increased in the plasma levels of AM. ..
- Li M, Yee D, Magnuson T, Smithies O, Caron K. Reduced maternal expression of adrenomedullin disrupts fertility, placentation, and fetal growth in mice. J Clin Invest. 2006;116:2653-62 pubmed..This study provides the first genetic evidence to our knowledge to suggest that a modest reduction in human AM expression during pregnancy may have an unfavorable impact on reproduction. ..
- Rauma Pinola T, Paakko P, Ilves M, Serpi R, Romppanen H, Vuolteenaho O, et al. Adrenomedullin gene transfer induces neointimal apoptosis and inhibits neointimal hyperplasia in injured rat artery. J Gene Med. 2006;8:452-8 pubmed..We conclude that AM overexpression inhibits neointimal growth. The inhibition is associated with enhanced apoptosis of the neointimal cells which may be of myofibroblast origin. ..
- Hwang I, Fung M, Liong E, Tipoe G, Tang F. Age-related changes in adrenomedullin expression and hypoxia-inducible factor-1 activity in the rat lung and their responses to hypoxia. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2007;62:41-9 pubmed..Thus, the HIF-AM pathway may be impaired in the aged lung, and other mechanisms may be present to maintain an AM response to hypoxia. ..
- Ozawa N, Shichiri M, Fukai N, Yoshimoto T, Hirata Y. Regulation of adrenomedullin gene transcription and degradation by the c-myc gene. Endocrinology. 2004;145:4244-50 pubmed..These results indicate that c-myc transactivates rat and human adrenomedullin genes and accelerates the degradation rate of adrenomedullin mRNA. However, c-myc is not essential for basal expression of the adrenomedullin gene. ..
- Rebuffat P, Macchi C, Malendowicz L, Nussdorfer G. Up-regulation of adrenomedullin gene expression in the regenerating rat adrenal cortex. Int J Mol Med. 2007;20:551-5 pubmed
- Uetake R, Sakurai T, Kamiyoshi A, Ichikawa Shindo Y, Kawate H, Iesato Y, et al. Adrenomedullin-RAMP2 system suppresses ER stress-induced tubule cell death and is involved in kidney protection. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e87667 pubmed publisher..The AM-RAMP2 system thus has the potential to serve as a therapeutic target in kidney disease. ..
- Li L, Tang F, O W. Coexpression of adrenomedullin and its receptor component proteins in the reproductive system of the rat during gestation. Reprod Biol Endocrinol. 2010;8:130 pubmed publisherAdrenomedullin (ADM), a novel vasorelaxant peptide, was found in human/rat ovaries and uteri. Plasma ADM level increases in pregnant women and pregnant rats...
- Cai Y, Teng X, Pan C, Duan X, Tang C, Qi Y. Adrenomedullin up-regulates osteopontin and attenuates vascular calcification via the cAMP/PKA signaling pathway. Acta Pharmacol Sin. 2010;31:1359-66 pubmed publisherTo determine whether adrenomedullin (ADM) attenuates vascular calcification (VC) by inducing osteopontin (OPN) expression...
- Albertin G, Rucinski M, Carraro G, Forneris M, Andreis P, Malendowicz L, et al. Adrenomedullin and vascular endothelium growth factor genes are overexpressed in the regenerating rat adrenal cortex, and AM and VEGF reciprocally enhance their mRNA expression in cultured rat adrenocortical cells. Int J Mol Med. 2005;16:431-5 pubmed
- Kaygisiz Z, Ozden H, Erkasap N, Koken T, Gunduz T, Ikizler M, et al. Effects of proadrenomedullin N-terminal 20 peptide and calcitonin on isolated perfused rat hearts. Anadolu Kardiyol Derg. 2009;9:176-82 pubmed..Human PAMP or salmon calcitonin could not alter perfusion pressure, heart rate and contractility in isolated, perfused rat hearts. ..
- Fukai N, Yoshimoto T, Sugiyama T, Ozawa N, Sato R, Shichiri M, et al. Concomitant expression of adrenomedullin and its receptor components in rat adipose tissues. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2005;288:E56-62 pubmed..These data suggest that AM may act as a new member of adipokines, although its functional role, as well as its pathophysiological significance in obesity, remains to be determined. ..
- Zhou M, Maitra S, Wang P. Adrenomedullin and adrenomedullin binding protein-1 protect endothelium-dependent vascular relaxation in sepsis. Mol Med. 2007;13:488-94 pubmed
- Rocha J, Hipólito U, Martins Oliveira A, Tirapelli D, Batalhao M, Carnio E, et al. Ethanol consumption alters the expression and reactivity of adrenomedullin in the rat mesenteric arterial bed. Alcohol Alcohol. 2012;47:9-17 pubmed publisher..Our study demonstrates that ethanol consumption increases blood pressure and the expression of AM in the vasculature and reduces the relaxation induced by this peptide in the rat MAB. ..
- Øie E, Ahmed M, Ueland T, Sikkeland L, Dahl C, Hagelin E, et al. Adrenomedullin is increased in alveolar macrophages and released from the lungs into the circulation in severe heart failure. Basic Res Cardiol. 2010;105:89-98 pubmed publisher..Finally, a net release of AM from the lungs into the circulation was only found in patients with severe systolic dysfunction...
- Mistrova E, Wiegand S, Sviglerova J, Pfeil U, Kuncova J, Slavikova J, et al. Adrenomedullin and the calcitonin receptor-like receptor system mRNA expressions in the rat heart and sensory ganglia in experimentally-induced long-term diabetes. Gen Physiol Biophys. 2014;33:215-25 pubmed publisher..In summary, the shifts observed in diabetes may favour a trend of a pronounced adrenomedullin signaling. These observations may provide a new possible therapeutic strategy for diabetic cardiomyopathy. ..
- Wong L, Cheung B, Li Y, Tang F. Adrenomedullin is both proinflammatory and antiinflammatory: its effects on gene expression and secretion of cytokines and macrophage migration inhibitory factor in NR8383 macrophage cell line. Endocrinology. 2005;146:1321-7 pubmedAdrenomedullin (ADM) is a potent vasorelaxant peptide that plays important roles in cardiovascular homeostasis and inflammatory response...
- Jiang W, Yang J, Wang S, Pan C, Qi Y, Zhao J, et al. Effects of adrenomedullin on aldosterone-induced cell proliferation in rat cardiac fibroblasts. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2004;1690:265-75 pubmed..It also stimulates vascular smooth muscle cells to produce and secrete adrenomedullin (ADM), which has a cytoprotective effect against cardiovascular damage...
- Li W, Guo A, Wang L, Kong Q, Wang R, Han L, et al. Expression of peptide fragments from proADM and involvement of mitogen-activated protein kinase signaling pathways in pulmonary remodeling induced by high pulmonary blood flow. Congenit Anom (Kyoto). 2016;56:28-34 pubmed publisher..study, we investigated the roles of the peptide fragments from proadrenomedullin (proADM) such as adrenomedullin (ADM), adrenotensin (ADT), and proadrenomedullin N-terminal 20 peptide (PAMP) during pulmonary remodeling caused by high ..