Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Acvr2a
Description: activin A receptor type 2A
Alias: Acvr2, rActR-II, activin receptor type-2A, ACTR-IIA, activin A receptor, type IIA, activin receptor IIA, activin receptor type IIA, type II activin receptor
- Xia Y, Yu P, Sidis Y, Beppu H, Bloch K, Schneyer A, et al. Repulsive guidance molecule RGMa alters utilization of bone morphogenetic protein (BMP) type II receptors by BMP2 and BMP4. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:18129-40 pubmed..artery smooth muscle cells, BMP2 and BMP4 signaling required BMP receptor type II (BMPRII), but not activin receptor type IIA (ActRIIA) or ActRIIB, based on changes in BMP signaling by small interfering RNA inhibition of receptor ..
- Feng Z, Madigan M, Chen C. Expression of type II activin receptor genes in the male and female reproductive tissues of the rat. Endocrinology. 1993;132:2593-600 pubmed
- Yndestad A, Ueland T, Øie E, Florholmen G, Halvorsen B, Attramadal H, et al. Elevated levels of activin A in heart failure: potential role in myocardial remodeling. Circulation. 2004;109:1379-85 pubmed
- Lebrun J, Vale W. Activin and inhibin have antagonistic effects on ligand-dependent heteromerization of the type I and type II activin receptors and human erythroid differentiation. Mol Cell Biol. 1997;17:1682-91 pubmed..only, we show that the inhibin antagonistic effects on activin-induced biological responses are mediated through a competition for the type II activin receptor but also require the presence of an inhibin-specific binding component.
- Leal A, Takabe K, Wang L, Donaldson C, Macconell L, Bilezikjian L, et al. Effect of adenovirus-mediated overexpression of follistatin and extracellular domain of activin receptor type II on gonadotropin secretion in vitro and in vivo. Endocrinology. 2002;143:964-9 pubmed..The extracellular domain of type II activin receptor (ActRII-ECD) contains all structural determinants sufficient for high affinity ligand binding...
- Liu Z, Tsuchida K, Matsuzaki T, Bao Y, Kurisaki A, Sugino H. Characterization of isoforms of activin receptor-interacting protein 2 that augment activin signaling. J Endocrinol. 2006;189:409-21 pubmed..Our results indicate that although both ARIP2 and ARIP2b/2c interact with activin receptors, they regulate ActRIIA function in a different manner. ..
- Matzuk M, Kumar T, Bradley A. Different phenotypes for mice deficient in either activins or activin receptor type II. Nature. 1995;374:356-60 pubmed..To test the function of the type II activin receptor (ActRcII) in mammalian development and reproduction, we generated a null mutation in the ActRcII gene in ..
- Lewis K, Gray P, Blount A, MacConell L, Wiater E, Bilezikjian L, et al. Betaglycan binds inhibin and can mediate functional antagonism of activin signalling. Nature. 2000;404:411-4 pubmed..The ability of betaglycan to facilitate inhibin antagonism of activin provides a variation on the emerging roles of proteoglycans as co-receptors modulating ligand-receptor sensitivity, selectivity and function. ..
- Barbara N, Wrana J, Letarte M. Endoglin is an accessory protein that interacts with the signaling receptor complex of multiple members of the transforming growth factor-beta superfamily. J Biol Chem. 1999;274:584-94 pubmed..Our data suggest that endoglin is an accessory protein of multiple kinase receptor complexes of the TGF-beta superfamily. ..
- Kleeff J, Ishiwata T, Friess H, Buchler M, Korc M. Concomitant over-expression of activin/inhibin beta subunits and their receptors in human pancreatic cancer. Int J Cancer. 1998;77:860-8 pubmed..Both the ligand and its receptors were often co-expressed in these cells. Together, our findings suggest that activin A may participate in autocrine activation of pancreatic cancer cells in vivo. ..
- de Winter J, de Vries C, van Achterberg T, Ameerun R, Feijen A, Sugino H, et al. Truncated activin type II receptors inhibit bioactivity by the formation of heteromeric complexes with activin type I. receptors. Exp Cell Res. 1996;224:323-34 pubmed..Furthermore, our data indicate that truncated type IIA receptors can interact with other type I receptors and as such might inhibit signal transduction by type I receptors other than activin type IA and type IB receptors. ..
- Chapman S, Bernard D, Jelen J, Woodruff T. Properties of inhibin binding to betaglycan, InhBP/p120 and the activin type II receptors. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2002;196:79-93 pubmed..Thus, it appears that the mechanisms of inhibin action may vary depending on the ligand and receptor types involved. ..
- Lavery K, Swain P, Falb D, Alaoui Ismaili M. BMP-2/4 and BMP-6/7 differentially utilize cell surface receptors to induce osteoblastic differentiation of human bone marrow-derived mesenchymal stem cells. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:20948-58 pubmed publisher..BMP activities in hMSC are elicited through the type I receptors ACVR1A and BMPR1A and the type II receptors ACVR2A and BMPR2...
- Harrison C, Gray P, Koerber S, Fischer W, Vale W. Identification of a functional binding site for activin on the type I receptor ALK4. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:21129-35 pubmed..In addition three of the residues required for activin binding to ALK4 are conserved on the type I TGF-beta receptor ALK5, suggesting the corresponding region on ALK5 may be important for TGF-beta binding. ..
- Jung B, Doctolero R, Tajima A, Nguyen A, Keku T, Sandler R, et al. Loss of activin receptor type 2 protein expression in microsatellite unstable colon cancers. Gastroenterology. 2004;126:654-9 pubmed..The activin type 2 receptor (ACVR2), possessing 2 polyadenine coding sequences, was identified as a mutational target, but it is not clear if ..
- Rossi M, Ionov Y, Bakin A, Cowell J. Truncating mutations in the ACVR2 gene attenuates activin signaling in prostate cancer cells. Cancer Genet Cytogenet. 2005;163:123-9 pubmed..More recently, mutations in the activin type II receptor gene, ACVR2, were identified in colon and pancreatic cell lines and tumors with MSI...
- Indjeian V, Kingman G, Jones F, Guenther C, Grimwood J, Schmutz J, et al. Evolving New Skeletal Traits by cis-Regulatory Changes in Bone Morphogenetic Proteins. Cell. 2016;164:45-56 pubmed publisher..Both gain and loss of regulatory elements can localize BMP changes to specific anatomical locations, providing a flexible regulatory basis for evolving species-specific changes in skeletal form. ..
- Xu J, McKeehan K, Matsuzaki K, McKeehan W. Inhibin antagonizes inhibition of liver cell growth by activin by a dominant-negative mechanism. J Biol Chem. 1995;270:6308-13 pubmed..The results suggest that inhibin may be a natural antagonist of assembly of the heterodimeric activin receptor complex through a dominant-negative mechanism. ..
- Lee Y, Hong K, Yun J, Oh S. Generation of activin receptor type IIB isoform-specific hypomorphic alleles. Genesis. 2006;44:487-94 pubmed..In the absence of its subfamily receptor Acvr2a, however, the development of Acvr2b(4/4) mice was arrested at the gastrulation stage, recapitulating the Acvr2a(-/-..
- Attisano L, Wrana J, Montalvo E, Massague J. Activation of signalling by the activin receptor complex. Mol Cell Biol. 1996;16:1066-73 pubmed..The evidence suggests that ActR-IIB acts as a primary activin receptor and ActR-IB acts as a downstream transducer of activin signals. ..
- Gold E, Francis R, Zimmermann A, Mellor S, Cranfield M, Risbridger G, et al. Changes in activin and activin receptor subunit expression in rat liver during the development of CCl4-induced cirrhosis. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2003;201:143-53 pubmed..We conclude that the increased activin subunit expression is associated with apoptosis, rather than hepatic fibrosis and nodule formation. ..
- Song J, Oh S, Schrewe H, Nomura M, Lei H, Okano M, et al. The type II activin receptors are essential for egg cylinder growth, gastrulation, and rostral head development in mice. Dev Biol. 1999;213:157-69 pubmed..These results provide genetic evidence that type II activin receptors are required for egg cylinder growth, primitive streak formation, and rostral head development in mice. ..
- Lee S, McPherron A. Regulation of myostatin activity and muscle growth. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2001;98:9306-11 pubmed..Our findings suggest that the propeptide, follistatin, or other molecules that block signaling through this pathway may be useful agents for enhancing muscle growth for both human therapeutic and agricultural applications. ..
- Ma X, Reyna A, Mani S, Matzuk M, Kumar T. Impaired male sexual behavior in activin receptor type II knockout mice. Biol Reprod. 2005;73:1182-90 pubmed..Adult activin receptor type II null (Acvr2-/-) male mice display multiple reproductive behavioral deficits, including delayed initiation of copulation, ..
- Shuto T, Sarkar G, Bronk J, Matsui N, Bolander M. Osteoblasts express types I and II activin receptors during early intramembranous and endochondral bone formation. J Bone Miner Res. 1997;12:403-11 pubmed..These results provide strong evidence of the identification of the principal receptors through which activins could function in the skeletal system and further shed light on activin's mechanism of action in bone formation. ..
- Wreford N, Rajendra Kumar T, Matzuk M, de Kretser D. Analysis of the testicular phenotype of the follicle-stimulating hormone beta-subunit knockout and the activin type II receptor knockout mice by stereological analysis. Endocrinology. 2001;142:2916-20 pubmed..We conclude that the defects in FSH beta-subunit gene knockout and ActRIIA knockout mice are related to diminished FSH action on both Sertoli cell proliferation and the capacity of Sertoli cells to nurture germ cells. ..