Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Acvr1b
Description: activin A receptor type 1B
Alias: Skr2, activin receptor type-1B, ACTR-IB, ALK-4, Serine/threonine-protein kinase receptor R2, activin A receptor, type IB, activin receptor type IB, activin receptor-like kinase 4
- Lebrun J, Takabe K, Chen Y, Vale W. Roles of pathway-specific and inhibitory Smads in activin receptor signaling. Mol Endocrinol. 1999;13:15-23 pubmed..Finally, we show that the inhibitory Smad7 can prevent the association of the two pathway-specific Smads with the activin receptor complex, thereby blocking the activin signal. ..
- Dutra D, Bueno P, Silva R, Nakahara N, Selistre Araújo H, Nonaka K, et al. Expression of myostatin, myostatin receptors and follistatin in diabetic rats submitted to exercise. Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol. 2012;39:417-22 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that MSTN, its receptors and FS expression change in both the muscle and fat of diabetic rats and that the expression of these factors can be modulated by exercise in diabetes. ..
- Wang E, Ma E, Woodruff T. Activin signal transduction in the fetal rat adrenal gland and in human H295R cells. J Endocrinol. 2003;178:137-48 pubmed..This suggests that in the adrenal gland the components of the activin receptor/Smad pathway are dynamically changing in the transition from fetal to neonatal life, and are important to the function of this organ. ..
- Inman G, Nicolás F, Callahan J, Harling J, Gaster L, Reith A, et al. SB-431542 is a potent and specific inhibitor of transforming growth factor-beta superfamily type I activin receptor-like kinase (ALK) receptors ALK4, ALK5, and ALK7. Mol Pharmacol. 2002;62:65-74 pubmed..SB-431542 has no effect on components of the ERK, JNK, or p38 MAP kinase pathways or on components of the signaling pathways activated in response to serum. ..
- Collart C, Remacle J, Barabino S, van Grunsven L, Nelles L, Schellens A, et al. Smicl is a novel Smad interacting protein and cleavage and polyadenylation specificity factor associated protein. Genes Cells. 2005;10:897-906 pubmed
- Yeo C, Whitman M. Nodal signals to Smads through Cripto-dependent and Cripto-independent mechanisms. Mol Cell. 2001;7:949-57 pubmed..Inhibition appears to be mediated by heterodimerization between Nodal and BMPs, indicating that antagonism between Nodal and BMPs can occur at the level of dimeric ligand production. ..
- Yamaguchi T, Kurisaki A, Yamakawa N, Minakuchi K, Sugino H. FKBP12 functions as an adaptor of the Smad7-Smurf1 complex on activin type I receptor. J Mol Endocrinol. 2006;36:569-79 pubmed..FK506 also inhibited the ubiquitination of the type I receptor by Smurf1. These findings indicate a new inhibitory function of FKBP12 as an adaptor molecule for the Smad7-Smurf1 complex to regulate the duration of the activin signal. ..
- Zhou Y, Sun H, Danila D, Johnson S, Sigai D, Zhang X, et al. Truncated activin type I receptor Alk4 isoforms are dominant negative receptors inhibiting activin signaling. Mol Endocrinol. 2000;14:2066-75 pubmed..This may contribute to uncontrolled pituitary cell growth and the development of human pituitary tumors. ..
- Nadeem L, Munir S, Fu G, Dunk C, Baczyk D, Caniggia I, et al. Nodal signals through activin receptor-like kinase 7 to inhibit trophoblast migration and invasion: implication in the pathogenesis of preeclampsia. Am J Pathol. 2011;178:1177-89 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that the Nodal/ALK7 pathway plays important roles in human placentation and that its abnormal signaling may contribute to the development of preeclampsia. ..
- Verschueren K, Dewulf N, Goumans M, Lonnoy O, Feijen A, Grimsby S, et al. Expression of type I and type IB receptors for activin in midgestation mouse embryos suggests distinct functions in organogenesis. Mech Dev. 1995;52:109-23 pubmed
- Kleeff J, Ishiwata T, Friess H, Buchler M, Korc M. Concomitant over-expression of activin/inhibin beta subunits and their receptors in human pancreatic cancer. Int J Cancer. 1998;77:860-8 pubmed..Both the ligand and its receptors were often co-expressed in these cells. Together, our findings suggest that activin A may participate in autocrine activation of pancreatic cancer cells in vivo. ..
- Su G, Bansal R, Murphy K, Montgomery E, Yeo C, Hruban R, et al. ACVR1B (ALK4, activin receptor type 1B) gene mutations in pancreatic carcinoma. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2001;98:3254-7 pubmed..Here we describe the gene structure and novel somatic mutations of the activin type I receptor, ACVR1B, in pancreatic cancer. ACVR1B has not been described previously as a mutated tumor-suppressor gene.
- Hashimoto O, Yamato K, Koseki T, Ohguchi M, Ishisaki A, Shoji H, et al. The role of activin type I receptors in activin A-induced growth arrest and apoptosis in mouse B-cell hybridoma cells. Cell Signal. 1998;10:743-9 pubmed..These results indicate that ActRI and ActRIB are distinct from each other and that the ActRI/ActRIB expression ratio could regulate cell-cycle arrest in the G1 phase and subsequent apoptosis in HS-72 cells induced by activin A. ..
- De Caestecker M. The transforming growth factor-beta superfamily of receptors. Cytokine Growth Factor Rev. 2004;15:1-11 pubmed..The purpose of this review is to describe the biochemical properties of these receptors, focusing specifically on the mechanisms regulating receptor/ligand interactions and activation in mammalian cells. ..
- Lebrun J, Vale W. Activin and inhibin have antagonistic effects on ligand-dependent heteromerization of the type I and type II activin receptors and human erythroid differentiation. Mol Cell Biol. 1997;17:1682-91 pubmed
- Yndestad A, Ueland T, Øie E, Florholmen G, Halvorsen B, Attramadal H, et al. Elevated levels of activin A in heart failure: potential role in myocardial remodeling. Circulation. 2004;109:1379-85 pubmed
- Bernard D, Lee K, Santos M. Activin B can signal through both ALK4 and ALK7 in gonadotrope cells. Reprod Biol Endocrinol. 2006;4:52 pubmed..The relative roles of endogenous ALK4 and ALK7 receptors in mediating activin B's effects in these cells have yet to be determined. ..
- Drummond A, Le M, Ethier J, Dyson M, Findlay J. Expression and localization of activin receptors, Smads, and beta glycan to the postnatal rat ovary. Endocrinology. 2002;143:1423-33 pubmed..The colocalization of receptors and Smads supports the notion that activin/TGF beta and BMP signaling pathways are functional in the cellular compartments of the follicle. ..
- Xu J, McKeehan K, Matsuzaki K, McKeehan W. Inhibin antagonizes inhibition of liver cell growth by activin by a dominant-negative mechanism. J Biol Chem. 1995;270:6308-13 pubmed..Activin type I receptors, SKR1 and SKR2, were first cloned from well differentiated human hepatoma cells (HepG2)...
- Andersson O, Reissmann E, Jörnvall H, Ibanez C. Synergistic interaction between Gdf1 and Nodal during anterior axis development. Dev Biol. 2006;293:370-81 pubmed..These results indicate that GDF-1 and Nodal converge on ALK4 in the anterior primitive streak to control the formation of organizing centers that are necessary for normal forebrain and branchial arch development. ..
- Rebbapragada A, Benchabane H, Wrana J, Celeste A, Attisano L. Myostatin signals through a transforming growth factor beta-like signaling pathway to block adipogenesis. Mol Cell Biol. 2003;23:7230-42 pubmed..Thus, our results reveal a strikingly specific antagonism of BMP7-mediated processes by myostatin and suggest that myostatin is an important regulator of adipogenesis. ..