Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: acrosin
Alias: Acro, acrosin, acrosin prepropeptide
- Baba T, Azuma S, Kashiwabara S, Toyoda Y. Sperm from mice carrying a targeted mutation of the acrosin gene can penetrate the oocyte zona pellucida and effect fertilization. J Biol Chem. 1994;269:31845-9 pubmedThe physiological function of mammalian sperm acrosin has long been believed to be involved in the limited proteolysis of the oocyte zona pellucida, thus enabling the sperm to penetrate this extracellular matrix and to gain access to the ..
- Martinez Menarguez J, Geuze H, Ballesta J. Evidence for a nonlysosomal origin of the acrosome. J Histochem Cytochem. 1996;44:313-20 pubmed..cryosections of rat testis, using a variety of antibodies against endosomal/lysosomal marker protein and acrosin, the major secretory protein of sperm cells...
- Nayernia K, Reim K, Oberwinkler H, Engel W. Diploid expression and translational regulation of rat acrosin gene. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1994;202:88-93 pubmedb>Acrosin, a sperm acrosomal serine protease has been implicated in the recognition, binding and penetration of the zona pellucida of the ovum...
- Nayernia K, Nieter S, Kremling H, Oberwinkler H, Engel W. Functional and molecular characterization of the transcriptional regulatory region of the proacrosin gene. J Biol Chem. 1994;269:32181-6 pubmedProacrosin, the zymogen form of the serine protease acrosin, is located within the acrosomal vesicle of mammalian spermatozoa and has been suggested to be involved in the fertilization process...
- Nayernia K, Meinhardt A, Drabent B, Adham I, Muller C, Steckel M, et al. Synergistic effects of germ cell expressed genes on male fertility in mice. Cytogenet Genome Res. 2003;103:314-20 pubmed..Proacrosin is an acrosomal protease synthesized as a proenzyme and activated into acrosin during the acrosome reaction. The linker histone subtype H1...
- Chen J, Menesini Chen M, Giachetti D, Matteucci F, Barbetti M, Sensini C, et al. Correlation between male fertility and acrosin-like protease activity in rats treated with Spartium junceum. Zygote. 1993;1:309-13 pubmed..injections of extracts of Spartium junceum in adult male rats were shown to reduce the rate of fertility and acrosin enzyme activity...
- Rao M, Shah K. Endocrine approach to male fertility control by steroid hormone combination in rat Rattus norvegicus L. Indian J Exp Biol. 1998;36:775-9 pubmed..Sperm acrosomal enzymes such as acrosin and hyaluronidase were also affected leading to a loss of their function...
- Kremling H, Flake A, Adham I, Radtke J, Engel W. Exon-intron structure and nucleotide sequence of the rat proacrosin gene. DNA Seq. 1991;2:57-60 pubmed..The transcription initiation site was determined at position 471 (564 nucleotides upstream of ATG), TATA- and TAAT-boxes were found 588 and 656 bp upstream of the ATG-translation start point, respectively. ..
- De Jonge C, Mack S, Zaneveld L. Inhibition of the human sperm acrosome reaction by proteinase inhibitors. Gamete Res. 1989;23:387-97 pubmed..proteinase inhibitor 4'-acetamidophenyl 4-guanidinobenzoate (AGB), an inhibitor of proacrosin activation and of acrosin, when added at either the onset of incubation or to capacitated spermatozoa, 5 min prior to stimulation by dbcAMP,..
- Honda A, Siruntawineti J, Baba T. Role of acrosomal matrix proteases in sperm-zona pellucida interactions. Hum Reprod Update. 2002;8:405-12 pubmed..Of the acrosomal proteases identified, acrosin exhibits two distinct activities: (i) an enzymatic activity as a trypsin-like serine protease; and (ii) a lectin-..
- Furlong L, Veaute C, Vazquez Levin M. Binding of recombinant human proacrosin/acrosin to zona pellucida glycoproteins. II. Participation of mannose residues in the interaction. Fertil Steril. 2005;83:1791-6 pubmedTo assess the interaction of human proacrosin/acrosin with mannose residues coupled to a protein backbone. Prospective study. Basic research laboratory...
- Johnson R, Jakobs K, Schultz G. Extraction of the adenylate cyclase-activating factor of bovine sperm and its identification as a trypsin-like protease. J Biol Chem. 1985;260:114-21 pubmed..alpha-Chymotrypsin, trypsin, and sperm acrosin were comparably effective in stimulating the platelet adenylate cyclase 5- to 8-fold, with concentrations ..