Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Aco2
Description: aconitase 2
Alias: aconitate hydratase, mitochondrial, aconitase 2, mitochondrial, citrate hydro-lyase, mitochondrial aconitase (nuclear aco2 gene)
- Ilangovan G, Venkatakrishnan C, Bratasz A, Osinbowale S, Cardounel A, Zweier J, et al. Heat shock-induced attenuation of hydroxyl radical generation and mitochondrial aconitase activity in cardiac H9c2 cells. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2006;290:C313-24 pubmed..In conclusion, we propose that attenuation of *OH generation after heat shock treatment might play an important role in reducing the myocardial ischemic injury, observed in heat shock-treated animals. ..
- Lin G, Brownsey R, MacLeod K. Regulation of mitochondrial aconitase by phosphorylation in diabetic rat heart. Cell Mol Life Sci. 2009;66:919-32 pubmed publisher..This may influence the activity of the tricarboxylic acid cycle, and contribute to impaired mitochondrial function and energy metabolism in diabetic hearts. ..
- Slaughter C, Hopkinson D, Harris H. Aconitase polymorphism in man. Ann Hum Genet. 1975;39:193-202 pubmed..The variation due to the three most common ACONS alleles in the Nigerians constitues a polymorphism. ..
- Andersson U, Leighton B, Young M, Blomstrand E, Newsholme E. Inactivation of aconitase and oxoglutarate dehydrogenase in skeletal muscle in vitro by superoxide anions and/or nitric oxide. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1998;249:512-6 pubmed..It is suggested that these effects may be responsible for some alterations in skeletal muscle metabolism, and these possibilities are discussed. ..
- Kim S, Marekov L, Bubber P, Browne S, Stavrovskaya I, Lee J, et al. Mitochondrial aconitase is a transglutaminase 2 substrate: transglutamination is a probable mechanism contributing to high-molecular-weight aggregates of aconitase and loss of aconitase activity in Huntington disease brain. Neurochem Res. 2005;30:1245-55 pubmed..The present findings suggest that an increase of transglutaminase activity in HD caudate may contribute to mitochondrial dysfunction by incorporating aconitase into inactive polymers. ..
- Kim S, Cheresh P, Williams D, Cheng Y, Ridge K, Schumacker P, et al. Mitochondria-targeted Ogg1 and aconitase-2 prevent oxidant-induced mitochondrial DNA damage in alveolar epithelial cells. J Biol Chem. 2014;289:6165-76 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, mt-hOgg1 chaperoning of Aco-2 in preventing oxidant-mediated mtDNA damage and apoptosis may afford an innovative target for the molecular events underlying oxidant-induced toxicity...