Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Aco1
Description: aconitase 1
Alias: Acon1, IRP1, cytoplasmic aconitate hydratase, IRE-BP 1, aconitase 1, soluble, citrate hydro-lyase, iron regulatory protein 1, iron-responsive element-binding protein 1
- Meyron Holtz E, Ghosh M, Iwai K, LaVaute T, Brazzolotto X, Berger U, et al. Genetic ablations of iron regulatory proteins 1 and 2 reveal why iron regulatory protein 2 dominates iron homeostasis. EMBO J. 2004;23:386-95 pubmedThe two iron regulatory proteins IRP1 and IRP2 bind to transcripts of ferritin, transferrin receptor and other target genes to control the expression of iron metabolism proteins at the post-transcriptional level...
- Zhang X, Zhao Y, Yan H, Liu H, Huang G. Inhibitory effect of homocysteine on rat neural stem cell growth in vitro is associated with reduced protein levels and enzymatic activities of aconitase and respiratory complex III. J Bioenerg Biomembr. 2017;49:131-138 pubmed publisher..The inhibition in cell growth at the end of Hcy treatment was probably due to the changes in protein expression and mitochondrial dysfunction in vitro cultures of NSCs. ..
- Henderson B, Seiser C, Kuhn L. Characterization of a second RNA-binding protein in rodents with specificity for iron-responsive elements. J Biol Chem. 1993;268:27327-34 pubmed..Our data support the existence of two distinct iron-regulated IRE-binding proteins in rodents. ..
- Wang J, Song N, Jiang H, Wang J, Xie J. Pro-inflammatory cytokines modulate iron regulatory protein 1 expression and iron transportation through reactive oxygen/nitrogen species production in ventral mesencephalic neurons. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2013;1832:618-25 pubmed publisher..Increased levels of iron regulatory protein 1 (IRP1), transferrin receptor 1 (TfR1) and hepcidin were also observed in IL-1? or TNF-? treated VM ..
- Thulluri S, Wu M, Blough E, Manne N, Litchfield A, Wang B. Regulation of iron-related molecules in the rat hippocampus: sex- and age-associated differences. Ann Clin Lab Sci. 2012;42:145-51 pubmed..molecules that participate in regulating free iron levels (heme oxygenase 1 (HO1), iron-regulatory protein 1 (IRP1), and ferritin heavy chain (FTH)) and whether changes in the expression of these molecules are associated with ..
- Popovic Z, Templeton D. Cell density-dependent shift in activity of iron regulatory protein 1 (IRP-1)/cytosolic (c-)aconitase. Metallomics. 2012;4:693-9 pubmed publisherb>Iron regulatory protein 1 (IRP-1) is a bifunctional protein involved in iron homeostasis and metabolism...
- Reuter S, Reiermann S, Wörner R, Schroter R, Edemir B, Buck F, et al. IF/TA-related metabolic changes--proteome analysis of rat renal allografts. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2010;25:2492-501 pubmed publisher..There is no effective therapy for IF/TA, in part due to the disease's multifactorial nature and its incompletely understood pathogenesis...
- Masini A, Guarriero Bobyleva V, Pincelli Gatti A, Cennamo C. Developmental changes of rat liver cytoplasmic and mitochondrial aconitate hydratases. Ital J Biochem. 1978;27:300-4 pubmed..The developmental pattern of the activity of the cytoplasmic aconitate hydratase may suggest a possible role of this enzyme in gluconeogenesis.
- Sreedhar B, Nair K. Modulation of aconitase, metallothionein, and oxidative stress in zinc-deficient rat intestine during zinc and iron repletion. Free Radic Biol Med. 2005;39:999-1008 pubmed..These results suggest that zinc and iron interact negatively with cytosolic aconitase, but prove beneficial in reducing the oxidative stress, apart from improving functional integrity and iron/zinc status. ..
- Patton S, Pinero D, Surguladze N, Beard J, Connor J. Subcellular localization of iron regulatory proteins to Golgi and ER membranes. J Cell Sci. 2005;118:4365-73 pubmed..Confocal microscopy revealed that IRP1 could be co-localized to the endoplasmic reticulum and the Golgi apparatus...
- Philpott C, Klausner R, Rouault T. The bifunctional iron-responsive element binding protein/cytosolic aconitase: the role of active-site residues in ligand binding and regulation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1994;91:7321-5 pubmed
- Mason K, Stofan D. Endotoxin challenge reduces aconitase activity in myocardial tissue. Arch Biochem Biophys. 2008;469:151-6 pubmed..We conclude that decreased activity of aconitase contributes to the endotoxin-stimulated reduction in mitochondrial respiration. ..
- Lipinski P, Starzynski R, Drapier J, Bouton C, Bartlomiejczyk T, Sochanowicz B, et al. Induction of iron regulatory protein 1 RNA-binding activity by nitric oxide is associated with a concomitant increase in the labile iron pool: implications for DNA damage. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2005;327:349-55 pubmedb>Iron regulatory protein 1 (IRP1) is a bifunctional [4Fe-4S] protein that controls iron homeostasis...
- Li X, Li F, Liao Q. [Expression of iron responsive element binding protein mRNA and analysis of aconitase activity in iron deficiency anemia rats]. Zhonghua Xue Ye Xue Za Zhi. 1997;18:563-5 pubmed..Both posttranslational and posttranscriptional regulation of IRE-BP may take part in iron metabolism balance. ..
- Li Y, He Y, Guan Q, Liu W, Han H, Nie Z. Disrupted iron metabolism and ensuing oxidative stress may mediate cognitive dysfunction induced by chronic cerebral hypoperfusion. Biol Trace Elem Res. 2012;150:242-8 pubmed publisher..receptor were significantly elevated in hippocampus and cortex after CCH, whereas expression of iron regulatory protein 1 was significantly lower than in sham-treated rats...
- Liu Y, Xiao W, Templeton D. Cadmium-induced aggregation of iron regulatory protein-1. Toxicology. 2014;324:108-15 pubmed publisher..Polymer-dependent translocation of IRP-1 in Cd(2+)-exposed cells may underlie effects of Cd(2+) on iron homeostasis. ..
- Khomenko T, Szabo S, Deng X, Ishikawa H, Anderson G, McLaren G. Role of iron in the pathogenesis of cysteamine-induced duodenal ulceration in rats. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2009;296:G1277-86 pubmed publisher..05). Cysteamine also enhanced activation of mucosal iron regulatory protein 1 and increased the expression of divalent metal transporter 1 mRNA and protein...
- Eprintsev A, Semenova E, Popov V. Induction of aconitate hydratase in hepatocytes of starving rats. Biochemistry (Mosc). 2002;67:795-801 pubmed..The purified preparations of these AH isoforms were electrophoretically homogenous. The molecular weights of these isoforms were estimated and several kinetic and regulatory properties were studied. ..
- Kaptain S, Downey W, Tang C, Philpott C, Haile D, Orloff D, et al. A regulated RNA binding protein also possesses aconitase activity. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1991;88:10109-13 pubmed..After purification of native IRE-BP and immunoaffinity purification of transfected and expressed IRE-BP, we demonstrate that the purified IRE-BP has aconitase activity. ..
- Meli R, Mattace Raso G, Irace C, Simeoli R, Di Pascale A, Paciello O, et al. High Fat Diet Induces Liver Steatosis and Early Dysregulation of Iron Metabolism in Rats. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e66570 pubmed publisher..In liver of HFD fed animals an increased time-dependent activity of iron regulatory protein 1 (IRP1) was evidenced, associated with the increase in transferrin receptor-1 (TfR1) expression and ..
- Haile D, Rouault T, Harford J, Kennedy M, Blondin G, Beinert H, et al. Cellular regulation of the iron-responsive element binding protein: disassembly of the cubane iron-sulfur cluster results in high-affinity RNA binding. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1992;89:11735-9 pubmed..These results are consistent with a model in which the cubane Fe-S cluster is disassembled when intracellular iron is depleted. ..
- Montez P, Vázquez Medina J, Rodriguez R, Thorwald M, Viscarra J, Lam L, et al. Angiotensin receptor blockade recovers hepatic UCP2 expression and aconitase and SDH activities and ameliorates hepatic oxidative damage in insulin resistant rats. Endocrinology. 2012;153:5746-59 pubmed publisher..Thus, in addition to promoting obesity-related hypertension, AT1 activation may also impair lipid metabolism and antioxidant capacity, resulting in steatosis via decreased UCP2 and tricarboxylic acid cycle activity. ..
- Galy B, Ferring Appel D, Kaden S, Grone H, Hentze M. Iron regulatory proteins are essential for intestinal function and control key iron absorption molecules in the duodenum. Cell Metab. 2008;7:79-85 pubmed publisher..Redundancy between IRP1 and IRP2 associated with embryonic lethality of doubly IRP-deficient mice has precluded the study of IRP function ..
- Li K, Tong W, Hughes R, Rouault T. Roles of the mammalian cytosolic cysteine desulfurase, ISCS, and scaffold protein, ISCU, in iron-sulfur cluster assembly. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:12344-51 pubmed..When incubated with iron regulatory protein 1, cysteine, and iron, the cytosolic forms of ISCS and ISCU facilitated efficient formation of a [4Fe-4S] ..
- Dupuy J, Volbeda A, Carpentier P, Darnault C, Moulis J, Fontecilla Camps J. Crystal structure of human iron regulatory protein 1 as cytosolic aconitase. Structure. 2006;14:129-39 pubmed..Conversely, under iron-replete conditions, IRP1 binds a [4Fe-4S] cluster and functions as cytosolic aconitase...
- Xu X, Persson H, Richardson D. Molecular pharmacology of the interaction of anthracyclines with iron. Mol Pharmacol. 2005;68:261-71 pubmed..At present, it is not clear whether doxorubicin affects IRP1-RNA-binding activity by intracellular formation of doxorubicinol and/or by generation of the doxorubicin-iron(III) ..
- Schalinske K, Anderson S, Tuazon P, Chen O, Kennedy M, Eisenstein R. The iron-sulfur cluster of iron regulatory protein 1 modulates the accessibility of RNA binding and phosphorylation sites. Biochemistry. 1997;36:3950-8 pubmedb>Iron regulatory protein 1 (IRP1) modulates iron metabolism by binding to mRNAs encoding proteins involved in the uptake, storage, and metabolic utilization of iron...