Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Acan
Alias: Agc, Agc1, CSPCP, aggrecan 1, aggrecan core protein, aggrecan, structural proteoglycan of cartilage, cartilage-specific proteoglycan core protein
- Localization and developmental expression patterns of CSPG-cs56 (aggrecan) in normal and dystrophic retinas in two rat strainsLi Feng Chen
Southwest Hospital Southwest Eye Hospital, Third Military Medical University, Chongqing 400038, China
Exp Neurol 234:488-98. 2012....
- Retinoic acid and the transcription factor MafB act together and differentially to regulate aggrecan and matrix metalloproteinase gene expression in neonatal chondrocytesYao Zhang
Department of Nutritional Sciences, Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA 16802, USA
J Cell Biochem 114:471-9. 2013..These results support a role for MafB as a regulator of chondrocyte gene expression and matrix formation via control of aggrecan, MMP3 and MMP13 expression, and indicate an important role for RA in the regulation of MafB...
- Expression of alternatively spliced epidermal growth factor-like domains in aggrecans of different species. Evidence for a novel moduleC Fulop
Department of Biochemistry, Rush Presbyterian St Luke s Medical Center, Chicago, Illinois 60612
J Biol Chem 268:17377-83. 1993..Although the function of these domains is not understood, the uniform expression of the EGF2 domain may indicate a general role of this aggrecan module, while the expression of the EGF1 domain may reflect species specificity...
- Perinatal exposure to vitamin A differentially regulates chondrocyte growth and the expression of aggrecan and matrix metalloprotein genes in the femur of neonatal ratsYao Zhang
Department of Nutritional Sciences, Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA, USA
J Nutr 142:649-54. 2012..These results suggest that moderately high maternal VA intake combined with neonatal VARA supplementation can reduce the ratio of aggrecan:MMP, which may unfavorably alter early bone development...
- PI3K/AKT regulates aggrecan gene expression by modulating Sox9 expression and activity in nucleus pulposus cells of the intervertebral discChin Chang Cheng
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19107, USA
J Cell Physiol 221:668-76. 2009..Results of these studies demonstrate for the first time that PI3K/AKT signaling controls aggrecan gene expression, in part by modulating Sox9 expression and activity in cells of the nucleus pulposus...
- Microarray cluster analysis of irradiated growth plate zones following laser microdissectionTimothy A Damron
SUNY Upstate Medical University, Syracuse, NY, USA
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 74:949-56. 2009..Genes and pathways involved in early growth plate chondrocyte recovery after fractionated irradiation were sought as potential targets for selective radiorecovery modulation...
- MSC response to pH levels found in degenerating intervertebral discsKarin Wuertz
School of Engineering, University of Vermont, Burlington, Vermont, USA
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 379:824-9. 2009..As acidic pH levels are typical of increasingly degenerated discs, our findings demonstrate the importance of early interventions and predifferentiation when planning to use MSCs for reparative treatments...
- Effects of in vivo static compressive loading on aggrecan and type II and X collagens in the rat growth plate extracellular matrixMathilde Cancel
Department of Mechanical Engineering, Ecole Polytechnique de Montreal, P O Box 6079, Station Centre Ville, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H3C 3A7
Bone 44:306-15. 2009....
- Behavior of mesenchymal stem cells in the chemical microenvironment of the intervertebral discKarin Wuertz
Spine Bioengineering Lab, School of Engineering, University of Vermont, VT 05401, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 33:1843-9. 2008..OBJECTIVE.: To determine the microenvironmental conditions of the IVD that are critical for MSC-based tissue repair and to determine whether MSCs from different age groups respond differently...
- Influence of aging on chondroitin sulfate proteoglycan expression and neural stem/progenitor cells in rat brain and improving effects of a herbal medicine, yokukansanY Tanaka
Section of Oriental Medicine, Department of Geriatric Medicine, National Institute for Longevity Sciences, National Center for Geriatrics and Gerontology NCGG, 36 3 Gengo, Morioka, Obu, Aichi 474 8522, Japan
Neuroscience 164:1224-34. 2009..These findings help to understand the physiology and pathology of the aged brain and provide an anti-aging strategy for the brain...
- Sustained expression of proteoglycans and collagen type III/type I ratio in a calcified tendinopathy modelPauline Po Yee Lui
Department of Orthopaedics and Traumatology, Faculty of Medicine, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong SAR, China
Rheumatology (Oxford) 49:231-9. 2010....
- Effect of dynamic compressive loading and its combination with a growth factor on the chondrocytic phenotype of 3-dimensional scaffold-embedded chondrocytesKosei Ando
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Shiga University of Medical Science, Otsu, Shiga, Japan
Acta Orthop 80:724-33. 2009..We investigated the effect of mechanical loading and growth factors on reactivation of the 3D-embedded chondrocytes...
- Isolation and characterization of multipotent rat tendon-derived stem cellsYun Feng Rui
Department of Orthopaedics and Traumatology, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong SAR, China
Tissue Eng Part A 16:1549-58. 2010....
- Cyclic acetal hydroxyapatite composites and endogenous osteogenic gene expression of rat marrow stromal cellsMinal Patel
Fischell Department of Bioengineering, University of Maryland, College Park, MD 20742, USA
J Tissue Eng Regen Med 4:422-36. 2010..Furthermore, we propose that studying gene expression patterns induced by the surrounding biomaterials environment is a fundamental step in the creation of engineered tissues...
- Schwann cell migration is integrin-dependent and inhibited by astrocyte-produced aggrecanFardad T Afshari
Department of Clinical Neurosciences, Cambridge University Centre for Brain Repair, University of Cambridge, Cambridge CB2 0PY, United Kingdom
Glia 58:857-69. 2010..We further show aggrecan mediates its effect by disruption of integrin function in Schwann cells, and that the inhibitory effects of aggrecan can overcome by activation of Schwann cell integrins...
- The effect of running exercise on intervertebral disc extracellular matrix production in a rat modelHelena Brisby
Department of Orthopaedics, Sahlgrenska University Hospital, Gothenburg University, Gothenburg, Sweden
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 35:1429-36. 2010..Using a running rat model, the effects of physical exercise on cellular function and intervertebral disc (IVD) extracellular matrix were studied...
- Substrate stiffness regulates apoptosis and the mRNA expression of extracellular matrix regulatory genes in the rat annular cellsYue Hui Zhang
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Xinhua Hospital, Shanghai Jiaotong University School of Medicine, China
Matrix Biol 30:135-44. 2011....
- Simvastatin stimulates chondrogenic phenotype of intervertebral disc cells partially through BMP-2 pathwayHuina Zhang
Spine Research Laboratory, Department of Neurosurgery, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 2200, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 33:E525-31. 2008..In vitro experiment to study the effect of simvastatin on rat intervertebral disc (IVD) cells...
- Differential regulation of chondroitin sulfate proteoglycan mRNAs in the denervated rat fascia dentata after unilateral entorhinal cortex lesionRuth Schäfer
Institute of Clinical Neuroanatomy, Johann Wolfgang Goethe University, Theodor Stern Kai 7, D 60590 Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Neurosci Lett 439:61-5. 2008....
- Distribution and synthesis of extracellular matrix proteoglycans, hyaluronan, link proteins and tenascin-R in the rat spinal cordClare M Galtrey
Cambridge Centre for Brain Repair, Department of Clinical Neurosciences, University of Cambridge, Robinson Way, Cambridge, CB2 2PY, UK
Eur J Neurosci 27:1373-90. 2008..During postnatal development the expression of link protein and aggrecan mRNA is up-regulated at the time of PNN formation, and these molecules may therefore trigger their formation...
- Complete primary structure of the rat cartilage proteoglycan core protein deduced from cDNA clonesK Doege
Laboratory of Developmental Biology and Anomalies, National Institute of Dental Research, Bethesda, Maryland 20892
J Biol Chem 262:17757-67. 1987..The first pattern is the more highly conserved, and may have given rise to the second. The carboxyl-terminal domain is a third globule which has homology with animal lectins...
- Cartilage proteoglycan aggregates. The link protein and proteoglycan amino-terminal globular domains have similar structuresP J Neame
Department Medicine, University of Alabama, Birmingham 35294
J Biol Chem 262:17768-78. 1987..We have deduced the positions of all of the disulfide bonds in the hyaluronic acid binding region and find them to be in the same positions as would be expected from comparison of these sequences with link protein...
- Inhibitory effects of PG-H/aggrecan and PG-M/versican on avian neural crest cell migrationR Perris
Reference Center for Oncology, Division of Experimental Oncology 2, Aviano, Italy
FASEB J 10:293-301. 1996....
- Dwarfism and age-associated spinal degeneration of heterozygote cmd mice defective in aggrecanH Watanabe
Craniofacial Developmental Biology and Regeneration Branch, National Institute of Dental Research, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892 4370, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 94:6943-7. 1997..Electron microscopy showed a degeneration of disc chondrocytes in the heterozygotes. These findings may facilitate the identification of mutations in humans predisposed to spinal degeneration...
- White matter extracellular matrix chondroitin sulfate/dermatan sulfate proteoglycans in multiple sclerosisR A Sobel
Department of Pathology, Stanford University School of Medicine, California 94305, USA
J Neuropathol Exp Neurol 60:1198-207. 2001..Thus, ECM PG alterations are specific, temporally dynamic, and widespread in MS patients and may play critical roles in lesion pathogenesis and CNS dysfunction...
- A remote upstream element regulates tissue-specific expression of the rat aggrecan geneKurt Doege
Department of Biochemistry, College of Medicine, University of South Florida, Tampa, Florida 33612, USA
J Biol Chem 277:13989-97. 2002..This is the first report of a gene control region which confers authentic tissue-specific regulation of aggrecan in vitro or in vivo and should greatly facilitate understanding the coordinate regulation of chondrocytic genes...
- ADAMTS1 cleaves aggrecan at multiple sites and is differentially inhibited by metalloproteinase inhibitorsJuan Carlos Rodriguez-Manzaneque
Department of Molecular, Cell and Developmental Biology, Molecular Biology Institute, University of California at Los Angeles, 611, Charles E Young Drive, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 293:501-8. 2002..Finally, we developed an activity assay using an artificial peptide substrate based on the interglobular domain cleavage site (E(373)-A) of rat aggrecan...
- Aggrecan glycoforms contribute to the molecular heterogeneity of perineuronal netsRussell T Matthews
Department of Neurobiology, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06520, USA
J Neurosci 22:7536-47. 2002..These results have important implications for the role of regulated microheterogeneity of glycosylation in the CNS...
- Localization of aggrecan and versican in the developing rat central nervous systemSusanna Popp
Department of Pharmacology, New York University Medical Center, New York, New York 10016, USA
Dev Dyn 227:143-9. 2003..Differences in the localization and temporal expression patterns of these chondroitin sulfate proteoglycans suggest that, like neurocan and phosphacan, they have partially complementary roles during central nervous system development...
- Intact aggrecan and chondroitin sulfate-depleted aggrecan core glycoprotein inhibit axon growth in the adult rat spinal cordMichele L Lemons
Department of Pharmacology and Therapeutics and Center for Research in Pediatric Orthopedics, Shriners Hospital, University of South Florida, Tampa, FL 33612, USA
Exp Neurol 184:981-90. 2003....
- Structural basis for interactions between tenascins and lectican C-type lectin domains: evidence for a crosslinking role for tenascinsAnna Lundell
Department of Molecular Biophysics, Lund University, Box 124, S 221 00 Lund, Sweden
Structure 12:1495-506. 2004..Comparison of the protein interaction surface with that of P-selectin in complex with the PGSL-1 peptide suggests that direct protein-protein interactions of Ca(2+)-binding CLDs may be more widespread than previously appreciated...
- Upregulation of aggrecan, link protein 1, and hyaluronan synthases during formation of perineuronal nets in the rat cerebellumDaniela Carulli
Cambridge Centre for Brain Repair, University of Cambridge, Cambridge CB2 2PY, UK
J Comp Neurol 501:83-94. 2007..These data suggest that aggrecan, HA, and, particularly, Crtll might be crucial elements for the initial assembly of PNNs...
- Normoxic stabilization of HIF-1alpha drives glycolytic metabolism and regulates aggrecan gene expression in nucleus pulposus cells of the rat intervertebral diskAmit Agrawal
Dept of Orthopaedic Surgery, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, PA 19107, USA
Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 293:C621-31. 2007..Results of this study indicate that oxygen-independent stabilization of HIF-1alpha in nucleus pulposus cells is a metabolic adaptation that drives glycolysis and aggrecan expression...
- Effects of reloading after simulated microgravity on proteoglycan metabolism in the nucleus pulposus and anulus fibrosus of the lumbar intervertebral disc: an experimental study using a rat tail suspension modelHiroki Yasuoka
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, National Defense Medical College, Saitama, Japan
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 32:E734-40. 2007..An experiment to measure proteoglycan (PG) content and PG-related gene mRNA expressions in the lumbar intervertebral disc (IVD) of rats tail-suspended (TS) for up to 6 weeks with subsequent reloading...
- Androgen-regulated cervical ripening: a structural, biomechanical, and molecular analysisHuiling Ji
Section of Maternal Fetal Medicine, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Women and Infants Hospital of Rhode Island, Brown University, Providence, RI, USA
Am J Obstet Gynecol 198:543.e1-9. 2008..Evidence suggests that androgens may play a role in the cervix. We hypothesized that androgens directly regulate cervical remodeling by altering both collagen structure and proteoglycan composition...
- Partial cDNA sequence encoding a globular domain at the C terminus of the rat cartilage proteoglycanK Doege
J Biol Chem 261:8108-11. 1986..The clone extends into a region where serines are clustered, probably the start of the chondroitin sulfate-rich region...
- GROWTH PLATE CELLULAR FUNCTION FOLLOWING RADIOTHERAPYTimothy Damron; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..