Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Abat
Description: 4-aminobutyrate aminotransferase
Alias: Gabat, beta-AlaAT, 4-aminobutyrate aminotransferase, mitochondrial, (S)-3-amino-2-methylpropionate transaminase, GABA aminotransferase, GABA transaminase, GABA-AT, GABA-T, L-AIBAT, gamma-amino-N-butyrate transaminase
- Carter C. Reduced GABA transaminase activity in the Huntington's disease putamen. Neurosci Lett. 1984;48:339-42 pubmedb>GABA transaminase activity is reduced in autopsied putamen samples from patients dying with Huntington's disease. Its activity is also reduced in the striatum of rats previously lesioned with kainic acid...
- Wang Q, Jammoul F, Duboc A, Gong J, Simonutti M, Dubus E, et al. Treatment of epilepsy: the GABA-transaminase inhibitor, vigabatrin, induces neuronal plasticity in the mouse retina. Eur J Neurosci. 2008;27:2177-87 pubmed publisher..This description of the neuronal plasticity associated with vigabatrin provides new insights into its retinal toxicity in epileptic patients. ..
- Mecarelli O, de Feo M, Del Priore D. Vigabatrin versus carbamazepine and phenytoin in kainic acid-treated pubescent rats. Pharmacol Res. 1997;36:87-93 pubmed..The different anticonvulsant profile of GVG, CBZ and PHT were correlated to their different modes of action, since GVG acts by enhancing the inhibitory GABA-mediated processes, while CBZ and PHT act by reducing the excitatory processes. ..
- De Ita Pérez D, Mendez I, Vázquez Martínez O, Villalobos Leal M, Díaz Muñoz M. Synchronization by food access modifies the daily variations in expression and activity of liver GABA transaminase. Biomed Res Int. 2014;2014:590581 pubmed publisher..This study was aimed at characterizing the expression and activity of the mostly mitochondrial enzyme GABA transaminase (GABA-T) during DRF/FEO expression...
- Nasreen Z, Jameel T, Hasan A, Parveen N, Sadasivudu B. Glutamate decarboxylase and GABA aminotransferase levels in different regions of rat brain on the onset of Leptazol induced convulsions. Neurochem Res. 2012;37:202-4 pubmed publisher..Therefore, it is suggested that the concomitant decrease of GAD activity and GABA concentration, is probably an important factor in the onset of convulsions. ..
- Loscher W. In vivo administration of valproate reduces the nerve terminal (synaptosomal) activity of GABA aminotransferase in discrete brain areas of rats. Neurosci Lett. 1993;160:177-80 pubmedPrevious in vitro experiments have indicated that neuronal GABA aminotransferase (GABA-T) differs from extraneuronal GABA-T in sensitivity to certain enzyme inhibitors, including the antiepileptic drug valproate (VPA)...
- Nikolov R, Yakimova K. Effects of GABA-transaminase inhibitor Vigabatrin on thermoregulation in rats. Amino Acids. 2011;40:1441-5 pubmed publisherVigabatrin is a GABA derivative (gamma-vinyl GABA) which inhibits irreversibly the enzyme activity of GABA transaminase and thus increased indirectly brain GABA concentrations...
- Pizarro Delgado J, Braun M, Hernández Fisac I, Martín Del Río R, Tamarit Rodriguez J. Glucose promotion of GABA metabolism contributes to the stimulation of insulin secretion in ?-cells. Biochem J. 2010;431:381-9 pubmed publisher..Glucose (20 mM) decreased both the content and release of islet GABA. Gabaculine (1 mM), a GABA transaminase inhibitor, partially suppressed the secretory response of rat perifused islets to 20 mM glucose at different ..
- Robin M, Palfreyman M, Zraika M, Schechter P. An analysis of the cortical and striatal involvement in dyskinesia induced in rats by intracerebral injection of GABA-transaminase inhibitors and picrotoxin. Eur J Pharmacol. 1980;62:319-27 pubmed..These findings suggest that interference with gabaergic function in the striatum is not necessary for the production of the dyskinetic syndrome and that this syndrome may be a cortically induced phenomenon. ..
- Yu X, He G, Sun L, Lan X, Shi L, Xuan Z, et al. Assessment of the treatment effect of baicalein on a model of Parkinsonian tremor and elucidation of the mechanism. Life Sci. 2012;91:5-13 pubmed publisher..b>GABA transaminase (GABA-T) and glutamine synthetase (GS) protein expression in basal ganglia were tested by immunostaining...
- Yang J, Johnson C, Shen J. Detection of reduced GABA synthesis following inhibition of GABA transaminase using in vivo magnetic resonance signal of [13C]GABA C1. J Neurosci Methods. 2009;182:236-43 pubmed publisher..This slow labeling of GABA at elevated GABA concentration was attributed to the relatively small intercompartmental GABA-glutamine cycling flux ..
- McKenna K, McManus D, Baker G, Coutts R. Chronic administration of the antidepressant phenelzine and its N-acetyl analogue: effects on GABAergic function. J Neural Transm Suppl. 1994;41:115-22 pubmed..inhibit the anabolic enzyme glutamic acid decarboxylase (GAD) and, to a greater extent, the catabolic enzyme GABA transaminase (GABA-T)...
- Seiler N, Grauffel C, Elands J, van den Buuse M, Knodgen B, Sarhan S, et al. Suppression of haloperidol-induced oral dyskinesias in rats by vigabatrin. Pharmacol Biochem Behav. 1995;50:181-9 pubmed..The observations presented in this work support the GABA hypothesis of haloperidol-induced vacuous chewing behavior in rats, and suggest that vigabatrin is an appropriate means to enhance nigral GABAergic activity. ..
- Qume M, Whitton P, Fowler L. The effect of chronic treatment with the GABA transaminase inhibitors gamma-vinyl-GABA and ethanolamine-O-sulphate on the in vivo release of GABA from rat hippocampus. J Neurochem. 1995;64:2256-61 pubmed..6.1.19; GABA transaminase), ethanolamine O-sulphate (EOS), and 4-aminohexenoate [vigabatrin; gamma-vinyl-GABA (GVG)] on the ..
- Stoof J, Mulder A. Increased dopamine release from rat striatal slices by inhibitors of GABA-aminotransferase. Eur J Pharmacol. 1977;46:177-80 pubmed..Moreover, 3H-DA release from substantia nigra was not affected. The data suggest the possibility that the effects of GABA-T inhibitors on striatal DA release are mediated by intrinsic GABA-ergic neurons. ..
- Raza M, Al Shabanah O. Effect of vigabatrin on contractile response to arachidonic acid and prostaglandins in smooth muscle preparations and platelet aggregation in experimental laboratory animals. Pharmacol Res. 2003;47:477-83 pubmed..05) potentiated the contractile effect of AA 4.3x10(-5)M. Incubation of the same tissue with GABA at 13x10(-3) and 26x10(-3)M inhibited responses elicited by AA at 4.3x10(-5)M that was significant (P<0...
- Dieb W, Hafidi A. Mechanism of GABA involvement in post-traumatic trigeminal neuropathic pain: activation of neuronal circuitry composed of PKC? interneurons and pERK1/2 expressing neurons. Eur J Pain. 2015;19:85-96 pubmed publisher..Increasing GABA by intracisternal injections of vigabatrin (VGB), a blocker of the catabolic enzyme GABA transaminase, alleviated pain behaviour and restored normal GABA cell marker expression in allodynic MDH...
- Engelborghs S, Pickut B, D Hooge R, Wiechert P, Haegele K, De Deyn P. Behavioral effects of vigabatrin correlated with whole brain gamma-aminobutyric acid metabolism in audiogenic sensitive rats. Arzneimittelforschung. 1998;48:713-6 pubmed..A possible explanation is a gamma-vinyl GABA-induced decrease of excitatory amino acids or increased glycine concentrations in the brain. ..
- Pan Y, Gerasimov M, Kvist T, Wellendorph P, Madsen K, Pera E, et al. (1S, 3S)-3-amino-4-difluoromethylenyl-1-cyclopentanoic acid (CPP-115), a potent ?-aminobutyric acid aminotransferase inactivator for the treatment of cocaine addiction. J Med Chem. 2012;55:357-66 pubmed publisherVigabatrin, a GABA aminotransferase (GABA-AT) inactivator, is used to treat infantile spasms and refractory complex partial seizures and is in clinical trials to treat addiction...
- Tamaki N, Fujimoto S, Mizota C, Kikugawa M. Submitochondrial localization of rat liver beta-alanine-oxoglutarate aminotransferase. J Nutr Sci Vitaminol (Tokyo). 1987;33:439-49 pubmed..beta-Alanine was transported into mitochondria with time and the influx of beta-alanine into the matrix was 0.47 nmol/mg of mitochondrial protein at 2 min after incubation. ..
- Coscina D, Nobrega J. Anorectic potency of inhibiting GABA transaminase in brain: studies of hypothalamic, dietary and genetic obesities. Int J Obes. 1984;8 Suppl 1:191-200 pubmed..One such line of evidence is that pharmacological inhibition of brain GABA transaminase (GABA-T) produces dose-dependent anorexia in otherwise normal rats...
- Brozoski T, Spires T, Bauer C. Vigabatrin, a GABA transaminase inhibitor, reversibly eliminates tinnitus in an animal model. J Assoc Res Otolaryngol. 2007;8:105-18 pubmed..Although vigabatrin has serious negative side effects that have prevented its clinical use in the USA, it is nevertheless a potentially useful tool in unraveling tinnitus pathophysiology. ..
- Yoon C, Kim D, Jang S, Lee B, Choi H, Choi S, et al. Cysteine-321 of human brain GABA transaminase is involved in intersubunit cross-linking. Mol Cells. 2004;18:214-9 pubmed..These results suggest that the Cys321 residue is essential for the catalytic function of GABA-T, and that it is involved in the formation of a disulfide link between two monomers of human brain GABA-T. ..
- Honda M, Inoue M, Okada Y, Yamamoto M. Alteration of the GABAergic neuronal system of the retina and superior colliculus in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rat. Kobe J Med Sci. 1998;44:1-8 pubmed..We determined the GABA content and activities of glutamate decarboxylase (GAD) and GABA transaminase (GABA-T) in the retina and superior colliculus (SC) in streptozotocin (STZ)-induced DM rats...
- Briggs S, Mowrey W, Hall C, Galanopoulou A. CPP-115, a vigabatrin analogue, decreases spasms in the multiple-hit rat model of infantile spasms. Epilepsia. 2014;55:94-102 pubmed publisher..Further optimization of the treatment protocol is needed. CPP-115 may be a promising new candidate treatment for IS with better tolerability than vigabatrin. ..
- Kim D, Yoon C, Eum W, Lee B, An J, Lee S, et al. Site-directed mutagenesis of human brain GABA transaminase: lysine-357 is involved in cofactor binding at the active site. Mol Cells. 2004;18:314-9 pubmed..These results indicate that lysine 357 is essential for catalytic function, and is involved in binding PLP at the active site. ..
- Kobayashi N, Ishiguro S, Tomita H, Nishikawa S, Tamai M. Changes of GABA metabolic enzymes in acute retinal ischemia. Exp Eye Res. 1999;69:91-6 pubmed..Increased GABA was not metabolized because GABA-T activity was decreased. GABA accumulation in Müller cells progressed during the change in activity of these metabolic enzymes. ..
- Gardner E, Schiffer W, Horan B, Highfield D, Dewey S, Brodie J, et al. Gamma-vinyl GABA, an irreversible inhibitor of GABA transaminase, alters the acquisition and expression of cocaine-induced sensitization in male rats. Synapse. 2002;46:240-50 pubmedWe examined the effect of (+/-)-gamma-vinyl GABA (GVG, Vigabatrin), an irreversible inhibitor of the enzyme GABA transaminase, on the acquisition and expression of cocaine-induced sensitization in albino male Sprague-Dawley rats...
- Sherif F, Gottfries C, Alafuzoff I, Oreland L. Brain gamma-aminobutyrate aminotransferase (GABA-T) and monoamine oxidase (MAO) in patients with Alzheimer's disease. J Neural Transm Park Dis Dement Sect. 1992;4:227-40 pubmed..A possible connection was found between the order of magnitude of the changes in enzyme activities and the severity of the disease. ..
- Hirayama T, Honda A, Matsuzaki Y, Miyazaki T, Ikegami T, Doy M, et al. Hypercholesterolemia in rats with hepatomas: increased oxysterols accelerate efflux but do not inhibit biosynthesis of cholesterol. Hepatology. 2006;44:602-11 pubmed..Overexpression of the SREBP processing system contributed to the activation of LXRalpha by maintaining high oxysterol levels in tissue...
- Kubo T, Kihara M, Misu Y. Electrical stimulation-evoked release of endogenous aspartate from rat medulla oblongata slices. Effects of inhibitors of aspartate aminotransferase and GABA transaminase. Naunyn Schmiedebergs Arch Pharmacol. 1990;341:221-4 pubmed..It appears that there are the pools of transmitter aspartate and non-transmitter aspartate in the rat medulla oblongata. ..
- Skirzewski M, Lopez W, Mosquera E, Betancourt L, Catlow B, Chiurillo M, et al. Enhanced GABAergic tone in the ventral pallidum: memory of unpleasant experiences?. Neuroscience. 2011;196:131-46 pubmed publisher..In another set of experiments, intra-VP injections of vigabatrin (a GABA transaminase inhibitor) increased extracellular GABA and immobility behaviors in the FST while the direct GABAA receptor ..
- Miller J, Hall C, Holland K, Ferrendelli J. Identification of a median thalamic system regulating seizures and arousal. Epilepsia. 1989;30:493-500 pubmed..the rat and compared with the effects of injections of gamma-vinyl-GABA (GVG), an irreversible inhibitor of GABA transaminase. Muscimol injections produced neuronal inhibition in a relatively small area of thalamus, whereas GVG ..
- Paredes R, Holmes G, Sachs B, Agmo A. Electromyographic activity of rat ischiocavernosus muscles during copulation after treatment with a GABA-transaminase inhibitor. Behav Neural Biol. 1993;60:118-22 pubmed..The actions of GABA may be localized to hypothalamic or brain stem nuclei with GABAergic projections to the spinal motoneurons controlling the IC muscles, or GABA may act directly on these neurons. ..
- Schwarcz R, Bennett J, Coyle J. Inhibitors of GABA metabolism: implications for Huntington's disease. Ann Neurol. 1977;2:299-303 pubmed
- Li D. Effects of iron deficiency on iron distribution and gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA) metabolism in young rat brain tissues. Hokkaido Igaku Zasshi. 1998;73:215-25 pubmed..This study provides evidence that iron deficiency in the brain could change the utilization and metabolism of GABA. ..
- Duvilanski B, Seilicovich A, Diaz M, Muñoz Maines V, Lasaga M, Debeljuk L. Effect of GABA-T inhibitors on prolactin secretion in vitro. Eur J Pharmacol. 1985;115:65-9 pubmed..Prolactin concentration in the pituitary gland was also decreased by AOAA in both sexes. The present results lend support to the idea of an inhibitory action of GABA on prolactin release by the pituitary gland. ..
- Sherif F, Oreland L. Effect of the GABA-transaminase inhibitor vigabatrin on exploratory behaviour in socially isolated rats. Behav Brain Res. 1995;72:135-40 pubmed..The results may suggest that vigabatrin has a better anxiolytic-like effect in the isolated rats than that in the socially housed rats. ..
- Xi Z, Stein E. Increased mesolimbic GABA concentration blocks heroin self-administration in the rat. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2000;294:613-9 pubmed..of heroin with aminooxy-acetic acid (1-4 mg/kg) or ethanolamine-O-sulfate (50-100 mg/kg), two reversible GABA transaminase inhibitors, dose dependently reduced heroin reinforcement. Coadministration of (+/-)-nipecotic acid (0...
- Tamaki N, Sakata S, Matsuda K. Purification, properties, and sequencing of aminoisobutyrate aminotransferases from rat liver. Methods Enzymol. 2000;324:376-89 pubmed
- Mishra N, Oraon A, Dev A, Jayaprakash V, Basu A, Pattnaik A, et al. Anticonvulsant activity of Benkara malabarica (Linn.) root extract: In vitro and in vivo investigation. J Ethnopharmacol. 2010;128:533-6 pubmed publisher..Mechanism of action was studied by performing GABA transaminase (GABA-T) assay, isolated from rat brain...
- Kraus P, Noack G. Inhibition of gamma-aminobutyric acid aminotransferase from rat brain mitochondria by chloride and acetate. J Enzyme Inhib. 1996;10:125-33 pubmed..gamma-Aminobutyric acid aminotransferase from rat liver mitochondria is also inhibited by acetate and chloride. The degree of inhibition of both hepatic and cerebral enzyme is nearly the same. ..
- Sherif F, Eriksson L, Oreland L. GABA-transaminase activity in rat and human brain: regional, age and sex-related differences. J Neural Transm Gen Sect. 1991;84:95-102 pubmed..g. pons and medulla oblongata and high activities in e.g. caudatus, substantia nigra and hypothalamus. The activity of the enzyme is significantly different both between brain regions and between individuals. ..
- Madl J, Royer S. Glutamate dependence of GABA levels in neurons of hypoxic and hypoglycemic rat hippocampal slices. Neuroscience. 2000;96:657-64 pubmed..GABA levels in neurons by ATP depletion-induced activation of glutamate decarboxylase and by inhibiting GABA transaminase. Hypoglycemia, which also depletes ATP, reduces neuronal levels of GABA and its precursor glutamate...
- Martinez Rodriguez R, Martinez Murillo R, Canseco M. Histochemical study of glutamic dehydrogenase (GLD) and GABA-transaminase (GABA-T) activities in the rat cerebellum during postnatal development. Cell Mol Biol. 1982;28:513-20 pubmed
- Tsukamoto K, Sved A. Contrasting effects of the GABA transaminase inhibitors gamma-vinylGABA and aminooxyacetic acid on arterial pressure following injection into nucleus tractus solitarius. Neuropharmacology. 1993;32:575-9 pubmed..These results suggest that acute inhibition of GABA-T does not necessarily result in an increase in GABA-mediated neural transmission...