Genomes and Genes
3 alpha hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase
Gene Symbol: 3 alpha hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase
Description: aldo-keto reductase family 1, member C14
Alias: Akr1c9, 3-alpha-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase, 3-alpha-HSD, hydroxyprostaglandin dehydrogenase, steroid 3-alpha-dehydrogenase
Products: 3 alpha hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase
- Stolz A, Rahimi Kiani M, Ameis D, Chan E, Ronk M, Shively J. Molecular structure of rat hepatic 3 alpha-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase. A member of the oxidoreductase gene family. J Biol Chem. 1991;266:15253-7 pubmed..The significant homology of 3 alpha-HSD with both prostaglandin F synthetase and aldose reductases suggest a subdivision of monomeric, NADPH reductases within the larger oxidoreductases superfamily. ..
- Del Bello B, Maellaro E, Sugherini L, Santucci A, Comporti M, Casini A. Purification of NADPH-dependent dehydroascorbate reductase from rat liver and its identification with 3 alpha-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase. Biochem J. 1994;304 ( Pt 2):385-90 pubmed..Internal primary structure data were obtained from CNBr-derived fragments and definitely proved the identity of NADPH-dependent DHAA reductase with 3 alpha-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase. ..
- Penning T, Abrams W, Pawlowski J. Affinity labeling of 3 alpha-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase with 3 alpha-bromoacetoxyandrosterone and 11 alpha-bromoacetoxyprogesterone. Isolation and sequence of active site peptides containing reactive cysteines; sequence confirmation using nucleotid. J Biol Chem. 1991;266:8826-34 pubmed..By contrast the 11 alpha-bromoacetoxy group in Br11P labeled several reactive cysteines which may be involved in the binding of glucocorticoids and NSAIDs. ..
- Pawlowski J, Huizinga M, Penning T. Cloning and sequencing of the cDNA for rat liver 3 alpha-hydroxysteroid/dihydrodiol dehydrogenase. J Biol Chem. 1991;266:8820-5 pubmed..It is identical to dihydrodiol dehydrogenase and it can function as a 9-, 11-, and 15-hydroxyprostaglandin dehydrogenase. Its reactions are potently inhibited by the nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs)...
- Guo J, Li L, Zhou S, Su Y, Li X, Sun J, et al. Butylated hydroxyanisole alters rat 5Î±-reductase and 3Î±-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase: Implications for influences of neurosteroidogenesis. Neurosci Lett. 2017;653:132-138 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, butylated hydroxyanisole is a potent inhibitor of SRD5A1 and AKR1C14, thus reducing the formation of active neurosteroids. ..
- Lin H, Hung C, Moore M, Penning T. Genomic structure of rat 3alpha-hydroxysteroid/dihydrodiol dehydrogenase (3alpha-HSD/DD, AKR1C9). J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol. 1999;71:29-39 pubmed..It is unknown whether the type 2 and type 3 3alpha-HSD/DD genes represent pseudo-genes or whether they represent genes that are differentially expressed in other rat tissues. ..
- Heredia V, Penning T. Dissection of the physiological interconversion of 5alpha-DHT and 3alpha-diol by rat 3alpha-HSD via transient kinetics shows that the chemical step is rate-determining: effect of mutating cofactor and substrate-binding pocket residues on catalysis. Biochemistry. 2004;43:12028-37 pubmed..To identify the rate-determining step in this physiologically important reaction, rat liver 3alpha-HSD (AKR1C9) was used as the protein model for the human homologues in fluorescence stopped-flow transient kinetic and kinetic ..
- Cheng K, White P, Qin K. Molecular cloning and expression of rat liver 3 alpha-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase. Mol Endocrinol. 1991;5:823-8 pubmedComplementary DNA clones encoding 3 alpha-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase (3 alpha HSD) were isolated from a rat liver cDNA lambda gt11 expression library using monoclonal antibodies as probes. The sizes of the cDNA inserts ranged from 1...
- Kimoto T, Ishii H, Higo S, Hojo Y, Kawato S. Semicomprehensive analysis of the postnatal age-related changes in the mRNA expression of sex steroidogenic enzymes and sex steroid receptors in the male rat hippocampus. Endocrinology. 2010;151:5795-806 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that the hippocampal sex steroidogenic properties are substantially altered during the postnatal development processes, which might contribute to brain sexual maturation. ..