Gene Symbol: fdxA
Description: ferredoxin I
Species: Pseudomonas aeruginosa PAO1
- Stout C. Structure of the iron-sulphur clusters in Azotobacter ferredoxin at 4.0 A resolution. Nature. 1979;279:83-4 pubmed
- Gao Sheridan H, Kemper M, Khayat R, Tilley G, Armstrong F, Sridhar V, et al. A T14C variant of Azotobacter vinelandii ferredoxin I undergoes facile [3Fe-4S]0 to [4Fe-4S]2+ conversion in vitro but not in vivo. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:33692-701 pubmed..However, unlike native FdI which does not undergo facile cluster conversion, the 7Fe form T14C FdI quickly converts to the 8Fe form with a high efficiency under reducing conditions. ..
- Jung Y, Bonagura C, Tilley G, Gao Sheridan H, Armstrong F, Stout C, et al. Structure of C42D Azotobacter vinelandii FdI. A Cys-X-X-Asp-X-X-Cys motif ligates an air-stable [4Fe-4S]2+/+ cluster. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:36974-83 pubmed..The cluster conversion was ultimately accomplished using a new electrochemical method. Hydrophobic and electrostatic interaction and the lack of Gly residues adjacent to the Asp ligand explain the remarkable stability of this cluster. ..
- Chen K, Jung Y, Bonagura C, Tilley G, Prasad G, Sridhar V, et al. Azotobacter vinelandii ferredoxin I: a sequence and structure comparison approach to alteration of [4Fe-4S]2+/+ reduction potential. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:5603-10 pubmed
- Stout C, Ghosh D, Pattabhi V, Robbins A. Iron-sulfur clusters in Azotobacter ferredoxin at 2.5 A resolution. J Biol Chem. 1980;255:1797-800 pubmed..The smaller cluster is distinctly planar and cannot be modeled with [2Fe-2S] or [4Fe-4S] structures. The best model for this cluster is a [3Fe-3S] core. The protein makes six contacts with this cluster. ..
- Stout C, Stura E, McRee D. Structure of Azotobacter vinelandii 7Fe ferredoxin at 1.35 A resolution and determination of the [Fe-S] bonds with 0.01 A accuracy. J Mol Biol. 1998;278:629-39 pubmed
- Chen K, Tilley G, Sridhar V, Prasad G, Stout C, Armstrong F, et al. Alteration of the reduction potential of the [4Fe-4S](2+/+) cluster of Azotobacter vinelandii ferredoxin I. J Biol Chem. 1999;274:36479-87 pubmed..Subsequent Protein Dipole Langevin Dipole calculations (using the actual I40N x-ray structures) did quite accurately predict the observed change in E(0'). ..
- Stout C. Crystal structures of oxidized and reduced Azotobacter vinelandii ferredoxin at pH 8 and 6. J Biol Chem. 1993;268:25920-7 pubmed..1993).(abstract truncated at 400 words) ..
- Soman J, Iismaa S, Stout C. Crystallographic analysis of two site-directed mutants of Azotobacter vinelandii ferredoxin. J Biol Chem. 1991;266:21558-62 pubmed..The conformational change observed at residue 24 is similar in both C24A and C20A FdI structures. The solvent accessibility of the Fe atoms in the [3Fe-4S] and [4Fe-4S] clusters is similar in C24A, C20A, and native FdI. ..
- Stout C. 7-Iron ferredoxin revisited. J Biol Chem. 1988;263:9256-60 pubmed..However, there are two free sulfhydryls, cysteines 11 and 24, in the new model. Cysteine 24 is in contact with the [4Fe-4S] cluster. Cysteine 11 is shielded from solvent by residues 86-90...
- Martin A, Burgess B, Stout C, Cash V, Dean D, Jensen G, et al. Site-directed mutagenesis of Azotobacter vinelandii ferredoxin I: [Fe-S] cluster-driven protein rearrangement. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1990;87:598-602 pubmed..Recently the x-ray crystal structure has been redetermined and the fdxA gene, which encodes the protein, has been cloned and sequenced...
- Schipke C, Goodin D, McRee D, Stout C. Oxidized and reduced Azotobacter vinelandii ferredoxin I at 1.4 A resolution: conformational change of surface residues without significant change in the [3Fe-4S]+/0 cluster. Biochemistry. 1999;38:8228-39 pubmed..These structural changes imply a mechanism for H+ transfer to the [3Fe-4S]0 cluster in agreement with electrochemical and spectroscopic results. ..
- Stout G, Turley S, Sieker L, Jensen L. Structure of ferredoxin I from Azotobacter vinelandii. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1988;85:1020-2 pubmed
- Howard J, Lorsbach T, Ghosh D, Melis K, Stout C. Structure of Azotobacter vinelandii 7Fe ferredoxin. Amino acid sequence and electron density maps of residues. J Biol Chem. 1983;258:508-22 pubmed..These sequence features are compared to the sequences of various ferredoxin groups. Structure predictions for other suspected 7Fe ferredoxins are discussed. ..
- Chen K, Bonagura C, Tilley G, McEvoy J, Jung Y, Armstrong F, et al. Crystal structures of ferredoxin variants exhibiting large changes in [Fe-S] reduction potential. Nat Struct Biol. 2002;9:188-92 pubmed..The smaller (50--100 mV) increases observed for the neutral form are proposed to occur by directing a Hdelta+--Ndelta- dipole toward the reduced form of the cluster. ..
- Ghosh D, O Donnell S, Furey W, Robbins A, Stout C. Iron-sulfur clusters and protein structure of Azotobacter ferredoxin at 2.0 A resolution. J Mol Biol. 1982;158:73-109 pubmed
- Ghosh D, Furey W, O Donnell S, Stout C. Structure of a 7Fe ferredoxin from Azotobacter vinelandii. J Biol Chem. 1981;256:4185-92 pubmed..The partially refined structure at 2.5 A (3,490 reflections, 6.0 sigma(F)) has R = 35%. ..