Gene Symbol: porB
Description: major outer membrane protein PIB
Species: Neisseria meningitidis MC58
- Sequence analysis and relationships between meningococcal class 3 serotype proteins and other porins from pathogenic and non-pathogenic Neisseria speciesM J Ward
Department of Microbiology, Southampton University Medical School, Southampton General Hospital, UK
FEMS Microbiol Lett 73:283-9. 1992..Although two separate porin genes (porA and porB) are present in N. meningitidis only a single fragment, corresponding to porB, could be amplified from this species...
- Evaluation of porB PCR-amplicon restriction endonuclease analysis as a method to determine porB variable-region sequences in nonserotypeable meningococciKristin H Dyet
Communicable Disease Group, ESR Ltd, Porirua Microbiology Department, University of Otago, Dunedin, New Zealand
J Clin Microbiol 42:1731-3. 2004b>porB PCR-amplicon restriction endonuclease analysis is a rapid, simple method developed to assess porB variation in nonserotypeable meningococci isolated during New Zealand's epidemic of meningococcal disease...
- Phylogenetic evidence for frequent positive selection and recombination in the meningococcal surface antigen PorBRachel Urwin
The Peter Medawar Building for Pathogen Research and Department of Zoology, University of Oxford, UK
Mol Biol Evol 19:1686-94. 2002..among Neisseria meningitidis gene sequences suggested that the surface loops of the variable outer membrane protein PorB were under only weak selection pressure from the host immune response...
- Neisseria meningitidis porin PorB interacts with mitochondria and protects cells from apoptosisP Massari
Evans Biomedical Research Center, 650 Albany Street, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston Medical Center, Boston, MA 02118, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 97:9070-5. 2000Neisserial porins are strong immune adjuvants and B cell activators. The effect of neisserial porin PorB on activation-induced cell death was investigated, as a potential additional mechanism of the porin's immunopotentiating ability...
- Correlation between serological and sequencing analyses of the PorB outer membrane protein in the Neisseria meningitidis serotyping systemC T Sacchi
Bacteriology Division, Adolfo Lutz Institute, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Clin Diagn Lab Immunol 5:348-54. 1998..meningitidis PorB proteins (PorB VR typing)...
- Analysis of Neisseria meningitidis class 3 outer membrane protein gene variable regions and type identification using genetic techniquesM C Bash
Division of Bacterial Products, Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research, Bethesda, Maryland 20892
Infect Immun 63:1484-90. 1995..Sequence analysis of porB genes for the class 3 proteins revealed regions of variability that map to surface-exposed loops...
- Purification, cyanogen bromide cleavage, and amino terminus sequencing of class 1 and class 3 outer membrane proteins of meningococciJ T Poolman
Department of Bacterial Vaccine Development, National Institute for Public Health and Environmental Protection RIVM, Bilthoven, The Netherlands
Infect Immun 57:1005-7. 1989..The N-terminal sequences were determined for class 1 and class 3 proteins, which exhibit similarities to one another and to OMP I of gonococci. The C-terminal class 1 OMP fragment bound the bactericidal monoclonal antibodies tested...
- The class 3 outer membrane protein (PorB) of Neisseria meningitidis: gene sequence and homology to the gonococcal porin PIAK Wolff
Department of Genetics, Boehringer Mannheim GmbH, Penzberg, F R G
FEMS Microbiol Lett 67:179-85. 1991The class 3 protein (PorB) is an important component of the meningococcal outer membrane...
- Class-3 porin protein of Neisseria meningitidis: cloning and structure of the geneS Butcher
Molecular Biology Program, National Public Health Institute, Helsinki, Finland
Gene 105:125-8. 1991..These are assumed to be membrane-spanning beta-strands. A comparison of the homologies between these neisserial porins showed that the class-3 protein is most closely related to the Neisseria gonorrhoeae P1A protein...
- Molecular analysis of the serotyping antigens of Neisseria meningitidisI M Feavers
Division of Bacteriology and Informatics Laboratory, National Institute for Biological Standards and Control, South Mimms, Potters Bar, Hertfordshire, United Kingdom
Infect Immun 60:3620-9. 1992..The methods reported in the present work are rapid reproducible procedures for the analysis of antigenic variants of these proteins...
- Identification of variable region differences in Neisseria meningitidis class 3 protein sequences among five group B serotypesG A Zapata
Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research, Division of Bacterial Products, Bethesda, Maryland 20892
Mol Microbiol 6:3493-9. 1992..The VR1 and VR2 regions were variable and were flanked by highly conserved regions among eight different class 3 sequences. These two variable regions of 15 and 9 amino acids are predicted to be in surface-exposed loops...
- Sequence variation in the porB gene from B:P1.4 meningococci causing New Zealand's epidemicKristin H Dyet
Communicable Disease Group, Institute of Environmental Science and Research, Porirua, New Zealand
J Clin Microbiol 43:838-42. 2005..7-2,4, belonging to the ST-41/ST-44 complex, lineage III. Most B:P1.7-2,4 meningococci express type 4 PorB (87...