Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: mtlA
Description: fused mannitol-specific PTS enzymes: IIA components/IIB components/IIC components
Alias: ECK3588, JW3573, mtlC
- Insertion of the mannitol permease into the membrane of Escherichia coli. Possible involvement of an N-terminal amphiphilic sequenceY Yamada
Department of Biology, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla 92093 0116
J Biol Chem 266:17863-71. 1991..Several mtlA-phoA gene fusions encoding fused proteins with N-terminal regions derived from the mannitol permease and C-terminal ..
- Mutations which uncouple transport and phosphorylation in the D-mannitol phosphotransferase system of Escherichia coli K-12 and Klebsiella pneumoniae 1033-5P14Susanne Otte
Fachbereich Biologie chemie, Universitat Osnabruck, D 49069 Osnabruck, Germany
J Bacteriol 185:2267-76. 2003..truncated mannitol-specific enzymes II (II(Mtl)) which lacked the IIA(Mtl) or IIBA(Mtl) domain(s), and the mtlA genes originated either from E. coli K-12 or from Klebsiella pneumoniae 1033-5P14...
- Efficient biosynthetic incorporation of tryptophan and indole analogs in an integral membrane proteinJaap Broos
Department of Biochemistry and Groningen Biomolecular Science and Biotechnology Institute GBB, University of Groningen, 9747 AG Groningen, The Netherlands
Protein Sci 12:1991-2000. 2003..In addition, we report here that biosynthetic incorporation of Trp analogs can also be effected with less expensive indole analogs, which in vivo are converted to L-Trp analogs...
- Mechanism of formation of multilayered 2D crystals of the enzyme IIC-mannitol transporterMarc C A Stuart
Department of Biophysical Chemistry, Groningen Biomolecular Sciences and Biotechnology Institute, University of Groningen, Nijenborgh 4, 9747 AG, Groningen, The Netherlands
Biochim Biophys Acta 1663:108-16. 2004..This mechanism is inextricably associated with the formation of multilayers...
- Three-dimensional solution structure of the cytoplasmic B domain of the mannitol transporter IImannitol of the Escherichia coli phosphotransferase systemPatricia M Legler
Laboratory of Chemical Physics, NIDDK, National Institutes of Health, USA
J Biol Chem 279:39115-21. 2004..All three proteins utilize a cysteine residue in the nucleophilic attack of a phosphoryl group covalently bound to another protein...
- 1H, 13C, and 15N resonance assignments of the phosphorylated enzyme IIB of the mannitol-specific phosphoenolpyruvate-dependent phosphotransferase system of Escherichia coliRenee Otten
J Biomol NMR 30:461-2. 2004
- The first cytoplasmic loop of the mannitol permease from Escherichia coli is accessible for sulfhydryl reagents from the periplasmic side of the membraneElisa B Vervoort
Department of Biochemistry, Groningen Biomolecular Sciences and Biotechnology Institute, University of Groningen, Nijenborgh 4, 9747 AG Groningen, The Netherlands
J Mol Biol 346:733-43. 2005..These and other results suggest that the predicted loop between TM2 and TM3 may fold back into the membrane and form part of the translocation path...
- Stoichiometry and substrate affinity of the mannitol transporter, EnzymeIImtl, from Escherichia coliGertjan Veldhuis
Department of Biochemistry and Biophysical Chemistry, Groningen Biomolecular Science and Biotechnology Institute, University of Groningen, 9747 AG Groningen, The Netherlands
Biophys J 89:201-10. 2005..The dependency could be simulated assuming that >50% of the binding sites were occupied with a ligand that shows an affinity for EnzymeIImtl in the same range as mannitol...
- Development of a minimal cell-free translation system for the synthesis of presecretory and integral membrane proteinsYutetsu Kuruma
Department of Medical Genome Sciences, Graduate School of Frontier Sciences, University of Tokyo, FSB401, 5 1 5 Kashiwanoha, Kashiwa, Chiba 277 8562, Japan
Biotechnol Prog 21:1243-51. 2005..Next, integration of an inner membrane protein (MtlA) into U-INVs was achieved in the presence of only SRP (Ffh) and SR (FtsY)...
- Visualization of the phosphorylated active site loop of the cytoplasmic B domain of the mannitol transporter II(Mannitol) of the Escherichia coli phosphotransferase system by NMR spectroscopy and residual dipolar couplingsJeong Yong Suh
Laboratory of Chemical Physics, Building 5, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892 0520, USA
J Mol Biol 353:1129-36. 2005....
- Solution structure of a post-transition state analog of the phosphotransfer reaction between the A and B cytoplasmic domains of the mannitol transporter IIMannitol of the Escherichia coli phosphotransferase systemJeong Yong Suh
Laboratory of Chemical Physics, NIDDK, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
J Biol Chem 281:8939-49. 2006....
- The oligomeric state and stability of the mannitol transporter, EnzymeII(mtl), from Escherichia coli: a fluorescence correlation spectroscopy studyGertjan Veldhuis
Department of Biochemistry and Biophysical Chemistry, Groningen Biomolecular Science and Biotechnology Institute and Materials Science Centreplus, University of Groningen, The Netherlands
Protein Sci 15:1977-86. 2006....
- Visualization of transient encounter complexes in protein-protein associationChun Tang
Laboratory of Chemical Physics, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 0520, USA
Nature 444:383-6. 2006..Qualitatively similar results are presented for two other protein-protein complexes...
- Intramolecular domain-domain association/dissociation and phosphoryl transfer in the mannitol transporter of Escherichia coli are not coupledJeong Yong Suh
Laboratory of Chemical Physics, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892 0520, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:3153-8. 2007....
- High yield cell-free production of integral membrane proteins without refolding or detergentsJessica J Wuu
Department of Chemical Engineering, Stanford University, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
Biochim Biophys Acta 1778:1237-50. 2008..synthesis of two complex integral membrane transporters, the tetracycline pump (TetA) and mannitol permease (MtlA), in yields of 570+/-50 microg/mL and 130+/-30 microg/mL of vesicle-associated protein, respectively...
- Domain complementation studies reveal residues critical for the activity of the mannitol permease from Escherichia coliErwin P P Vos
Groningen Biomolecular Science and Biotechnology Institute, University of Groningen, Nijenborgh 4, 9747 AG Groningen, The Netherlands
Biochim Biophys Acta 1788:581-6. 2009..The involvement of specific residue positions in the oligomeric functioning of a sugar-translocating EII protein has not been presented before...
- Visualization of distinct entities of the SecYEG translocon during translocation and integration of bacterial proteinsDiana Boy
Institut fur Biochemie und Molekularbiologie, ZBMZ, Albert Ludwigs Universitat Freiburg, 79104 Freiburg, Germany
Mol Biol Cell 20:1804-15. 2009..These results suggest that the assembly or the stability of the bacterial SecYEG translocon is influenced by the substrate that needs to be transported...
- Solution structure of the phosphoryl transfer complex between the cytoplasmic A domain of the mannitol transporter IIMannitol and HPr of the Escherichia coli phosphotransferase systemGabriel Cornilescu
Laboratory of Chemical Physics, NIDDK, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
J Biol Chem 277:42289-98. 2002....
- Routes for fructose utilization by Escherichia coliH L Kornberg
Department of Biology, Boston University, MA 02215, USA
J Mol Microbiol Biotechnol 3:355-9. 2001..possessing the 3,4,5-D-arabino-hexoseconfiguration but with primary specificity for mannose(manXYZ), mannitol (mtlA) and glucitol (gutA) and which, if over-produced, can transport also fructose...
- Discrimination between SRP- and SecA/SecB-dependent substrates involves selective recognition of nascent chains by SRP and trigger factorK Beck
Institut für Biochemie und Molekularbiologie und, Universitat Freiburg, Hermann Herder Strasse 7, D 79104 Freiburg, Germany
EMBO J 19:134-43. 2000..in vitro, we show that SRP recognizes the first signal anchor sequence of a polytopic membrane protein (MtlA) resulting in cotranslational targeting of MtlA to SecY and phospholipids of the plasma membrane...
- Membrane topology analysis of Escherichia coli mannitol permease by using a nested-deletion method to create mtlA-phoA fusionsJ E Sugiyama
Department of Biology, Boston University, MA 02215
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 88:9603-7. 1991..We have used gene fusions between mtlA (encoding the permease) and 'phoA (encoding alkaline phosphatase lacking its signal sequence) to further ..
- Corrected sequence of the mannitol (mtl) operon in Escherichia coliW Jiang
Department of Biochemistry and Nutrition, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blacksburg 24061 0308
Mol Microbiol 4:2003-6. 1990....
- Escherichia coli 6S RNA is not essential for growth or protein secretionC A Lee
J Bacteriol 161:1156-61. 1985..Studies of the mutant show that the 6S RNA is not essential for growth or for protein secretion. The gene for the 6S RNA (ssr) maps near serA at 63 min on the E. coli genetic map...
- Nucleotide sequence of the mannitol (mtl) operon in Escherichia coliT Davis
Department of Biology, University of California at San Diego, La Jolla 92093
Mol Microbiol 2:405-12. 1988..Both the operator-promoter region and the intercistronic region between the mtlA and mtlD genes (encoding the mannitol-specific Enzyme II of the phosphotransferase system and mannitol-1-phosphate ..
- S-phosphocysteine and phosphohistidine are intermediates in the phosphoenolpyruvate-dependent mannitol transport catalyzed by Escherichia coli EIIMtlH H Pas
Department of Physical Chemistry, University of Groningen, The Netherlands
Biochemistry 27:5835-9. 1988..The hydrolysis characteristics of the phosphopeptide indicate that Cys 384 is the site of phosphorylation...
- Phosphoenolpyruvate:carbohydrate phosphotransferase system of bacteriaP W Postma
Microbiol Rev 49:232-69. 1985
- Mutations affecting the dissimilation of mannitol by Escherichia coli K-12E Solomon
J Bacteriol 111:566-74. 1972..In the mutant defective in the enzyme II complex, mannitol is able to induce the dehydrogenase. Thus, mannitol, rather than its phosphorylated product, seems to be the inducer...
- Mannitol-specific enzyme II of the bacterial phosphotransferase system. III. The nucleotide sequence of the permease geneC A Lee
J Biol Chem 258:10761-7. 1983The nucleotide sequence of the mtlA gene, which codes for the mannitol-specific Enzyme II of the Escherichia coli phosphotransferase system, is presented...
- Plasmid-directed synthesis of enzymes required for D-mannitol transport and utilization in Escherichia coliC A Lee
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 78:7336-40. 1981..H., Jr. (1979) J. Biol. Chem. 254, 249-252] that mannitol enzyme II consists of a single type of polypeptide chain that has a Mr of 60,000. The plasmid pLC15-48 DNA was characterized by mapping of restriction endonuclease cleavage sites...
- cAMP-cAMP receptor protein complex: five binding sites in the control region of the Escherichia coli mannitol operonT M Ramseier
Department of Biology, University of California at San Diego, La Jolla 92093 0116, USA
Microbiology 141:1901-7. 1995..The results serve to identify and define five dissimilar CRP binding sites in a single operon of E. coli. A model for mtl operon transcriptional initiation and repression complexes is presented...
- The mannitol repressor (MtlR) of Escherichia coliR M Figge
Department of Biology, University of California at San Diego, La Jolla 92093 0116
J Bacteriol 176:840-7. 1994..5. It is homologous to the product of an open reading frame (URF2D) upstream of the E. coli gapB gene but represents a novel type of transcriptional regulatory protein...
- Backbone assignments and secondary structure of the Escherichia coli enzyme-II mannitol A domain determined by heteronuclear three-dimensional NMR spectroscopyG J Kroon
BIOSON Institute, University of Groningen, The Netherlands
Protein Sci 2:1331-41. 1993..The resulting secondary structure is considerably different from that reported for IIAglc of E. coli and Bacillus subtilis determined by NMR and X-ray...
- A fluorescence study of single tryptophan-containing mutants of enzyme IImtl of the Escherichia coli phosphoenolpyruvate-dependent mannitol transport systemD S Dijkstra
Department of Biochemistry and Groningen Biomolecular Sciences, University of Groningen, The Netherlands
Biochemistry 35:6628-34. 1996..1991). When mannitol is bound to wild-type EIImtl, an increase in fluorescence emission intensity was observed (Wood, 1988) which can now be attributed primarily to increased fluorescence intensity of the tryptophan at position 30...
- Relation between the oligomerization state and the transport and phosphorylation function of the Escherichia coli mannitol transport protein: interaction between mannitol-specific enzyme II monomers studied by complementation of inactive site-directed mutH Boer
Groningen Biomolecular Science and Biotechnology Institute GBB, University of Groningen, The Netherlands
Biochemistry 35:12901-8. 1996..Thus, only one active A, B, and C domain in the dimer is sufficient for transport and phosphorylation activity, and if all three domains are situated on the same subunit, maximum rates are achieved...
- The structure of the Escherichia coli phosphotransferase IIAmannitol reveals a novel fold with two conformations of the active siteR L van Montfort
Laboratory of Biophysical Chemistry, BIOSON Research Institute, University of Groningen, Nijenborgh, The Netherlands
Structure 6:377-88. 1998..Knowledge of the structures of the IIA proteins may provide insight into the mechanisms by which the PTS couples phosphorylation reactions with carbohydrate specificity...
- The 5 A projection structure of the transmembrane domain of the mannitol transporter enzyme IIR I Koning
Department of Biophysical Chemistry, Groningen Biomolecular Sciences and Biotechnology Institute, University of Groningen, The Netherlands
J Mol Biol 287:845-51. 1999..Each monomer exhibits six domains of high density which most likely correspond to transmembrane alpha-helices and cytoplasmic loops...
- Structure of the cytoplasmic loop between putative helices II and III of the mannitol permease of Escherichia coli: a tryptophan and 5-fluorotryptophan spectroscopy studyErwin P P Vos
Department of Biophysical Chemistry, Groningen Biomolecular Science and Biotechnology Institute, The Netherlands
Biochemistry 48:5284-90. 2009..The results of this work are in better agreement with a 7 A projection map from a single 2D crystal on which no symmetry was imposed...