Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Ybx1
Description: Y box protein 1
Alias: 1700102N10Rik, C79409, EF1A, MSY1, Nsep1, YB-1, dbpB, mYB-1a, nuclease-sensitive element-binding protein 1, CBF-A, CCAAT-binding transcription factor I subunit A, DNA-binding protein B, EFI-A, Y-box transcription factor, Y-box-binding protein 1, enhancer factor I subunit A
- Fan L, Jones S, Padden C, Shen Q, Newburger P. Nuclease sensitive element binding protein 1 gene disruption results in early embryonic lethality. J Cell Biochem. 2006;99:140-5 pubmedb>Nuclease sensitive element binding protein 1 (NSEP1) is a member of the EFIA/NSEP1/YB-1 family of DNA-binding proteins whose members share a cold shock domain; it has also been termed DNA-binding protein B and Y box binding protein-1 ..
- Oko R, Korley R, Murray M, Hecht N, Hermo L. Germ cell-specific DNA and RNA binding proteins p48/52 are expressed at specific stages of male germ cell development and are present in the chromatoid body. Mol Reprod Dev. 1996;44:1-13 pubmed..The pattern of synthesis of these mRNA binding proteins together with their association with the chromatoid body suggests a role as germ cell-specific mRNA stabilizing and/or storage proteins. ..
- Ceman S, Nelson R, Warren S. Identification of mouse YB1/p50 as a component of the FMRP-associated mRNP particle. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2000;279:904-8 pubmed..The association of the FMRP-mRNP with a Y box protein, the latter commonly found in mRNPs, further suggests the involvement of FMRP in translation modulation. ..
- Fowles L, Bennetts J, Berkman J, Williams E, Koopman P, Teasdale R, et al. Genomic screen for genes involved in mammalian craniofacial development. Genesis. 2003;35:73-87 pubmed
- Tanaka T, Ohashi S, Kobayashi S. Roles of YB-1 under arsenite-induced stress: translational activation of HSP70 mRNA and control of the number of stress granules. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2014;1840:985-92 pubmed publisher..Under stress conditions, YB-1 exerts simultaneous but opposing actions on the regulation of translation via SGs and polysomes. ..
- Paranjape S, Harris E. Y box-binding protein-1 binds to the dengue virus 3'-untranslated region and mediates antiviral effects. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:30497-508 pubmed..These results suggest a novel role for YB-1 as an antiviral host cell factor. ..
- Kelm R, Cogan J, Elder P, Strauch A, Getz M. Molecular interactions between single-stranded DNA-binding proteins associated with an essential MCAT element in the mouse smooth muscle alpha-actin promoter. J Biol Chem. 1999;274:14238-45 pubmed..Moreover, both Pur proteins interact with MSY1, a VACssBF1-like protein cloned by virtue of its affinity for the pyrimidine-rich strand of the enhancer...
- Wolffe A. Structural and functional properties of the evolutionarily ancient Y-box family of nucleic acid binding proteins. Bioessays. 1994;16:245-51 pubmed..This review discusses the organization of the prokaryotic and eukaryotic Y-box proteins, how they interact with nucleic acids, and their biological roles, both proven and potential. ..
- Nikolajczyk B, Murray M, Hecht N. A mouse homologue of the Xenopus germ cell-specific ribonucleic acid/deoxyribonucleic acid-binding proteins p54/p56 interacts with the protamine 2 promoter. Biol Reprod. 1995;52:524-30 pubmed
- Young J, Hong E, Castle J, Crespo Barreto J, Bowman A, Rose M, et al. Regulation of RNA splicing by the methylation-dependent transcriptional repressor methyl-CpG binding protein 2. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005;102:17551-8 pubmed..Thus, we uncovered a previously uncharacterized function of MeCP2 that involves regulation of splicing, in addition to its role as a transcriptional repressor. ..
- Higuchi T, Anzai K, Kobayashi S. U7 snRNA acts as a transcriptional regulator interacting with an inverted CCAAT sequence-binding transcription factor NF-Y. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2008;1780:274-81 pubmed..These results suggest that U7 snRNA has a novel function as a transcriptional regulator to control NF-Y. ..
- Kwon Y, Murray M, Hecht N. Proteins homologous to the Xenopus germ cell-specific RNA-binding proteins p54/p56 are temporally expressed in mouse male germ cells. Dev Biol. 1993;158:99-100 pubmed
- Shaughnessy M, Wistow G. Absence of MHC gene expression in lens and cloning of dbpB/YB-1, a DNA-binding protein expressed in mouse lens. Curr Eye Res. 1992;11:175-81 pubmed..From a new-born mouse lens cDNA library a clone was obtained for the murine homologue of the DNA-binding protein dbpB/YB-1, a protein originally identified in human lymphocytes and proposed to be a negative regulator of MHC class II ..
- Shibahara K, Uchiumi T, Fukuda T, Kura S, Tominaga Y, Maehara Y, et al. Targeted disruption of one allele of the Y-box binding protein-1 (YB-1) gene in mouse embryonic stem cells and increased sensitivity to cisplatin and mitomycin C. Cancer Sci. 2004;95:348-53 pubmed..YB-1 may have the capacity to exert a protective role against cytotoxic effects of DNA damaging agents, and may be involved in certain aspects of drug resistance. ..
- Xu M, Jin H, Xu C, Sun B, Song Z, Bi W, et al. miR-382 inhibits osteosarcoma metastasis and relapse by targeting Y box-binding protein 1. Mol Ther. 2015;23:89-98 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our findings suggest that miR-382 functions as a tumor suppressor function and that the overexpression of miR-382 is a novel strategy to inhibit tumor metastasis and prevent CSC-induced relapse in OS. ..
- Guo C, Xue Y, Yang G, Yin S, Shi W, Cheng Y, et al. Nanog RNA-binding proteins YBX1 and ILF3 affect pluripotency of embryonic stem cells. Cell Biol Int. 2016;40:847-60 pubmed publisher..Among them, the interaction of YBX1 and ILF3 with Nanog mRNA was further confirmed by in vitro assays, such as Western blot, RNA immunoprecipitation (..
- Chen Y, Sekine K, Nakamura K, Yanai H, Tanaka M, Miyajima A. Y-box binding protein-1 down-regulates expression of carbamoyl phosphate synthetase-I by suppressing CCAAT enhancer-binding protein-alpha function in mice. Gastroenterology. 2009;137:330-40 pubmed publisher..YB-1 is a key regulator of ammonia detoxification by negatively regulating CPS1 expression via suppression of C/EBPalpha function. ..
- Huang N, Negi S, Szebeni A, Olson M. Protein NPM3 interacts with the multifunctional nucleolar protein B23/nucleophosmin and inhibits ribosome biogenesis. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:5496-502 pubmed..Overexpression of a mutant of NPM3 that did not interact with B23 did not alter pre-rRNA synthesis and processing, suggesting that the interaction of NPM3 with B23 plays a role in the ribosome biogenesis. ..
- Higashi K, Tomigahara Y, Shiraki H, Miyata K, Mikami T, Kimura T, et al. A novel small compound that promotes nuclear translocation of YB-1 ameliorates experimental hepatic fibrosis in mice. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:4485-92 pubmed publisher..Altogether, the results provide a novel insight into therapy for organ fibrosis using YB-1 modulators. ..
- Park J, Kang H, Kang S, Lee J, Hur J, Ge K, et al. A multifunctional protein, EWS, is essential for early brown fat lineage determination. Dev Cell. 2013;26:393-404 pubmed publisher..We demonstrate that EWS, along with its binding partner Y-box binding protein 1 (YBX1), activates Bmp7 transcription...
- Lutz M, Wempe F, Bahr I, Zopf D, von Melchner H. Proteasomal degradation of the multifunctional regulator YB-1 is mediated by an F-Box protein induced during programmed cell death. FEBS Lett. 2006;580:3921-30 pubmed..a component of an SCF E3-ubiquitin ligase that targets the multifunctional regulator Y-box binding protein 1 (YB-1)/dbpB/p50 for polyubiquitination and destruction by the proteasome...
- Dey A, Robitaille M, Remke M, Maier C, Malhotra A, Gregorieff A, et al. YB-1 is elevated in medulloblastoma and drives proliferation in Sonic hedgehog-dependent cerebellar granule neuron progenitor cells and medulloblastoma cells. Oncogene. 2016;35:4256-68 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our findings describe a novel role for YB-1 in driving proliferation in the developing cerebellum and MBCs and they identify the SHH:YAP:YB1:IGF2 axis as a powerful target for therapeutic intervention in medulloblastomas. ..
- Li S, Mi L, Yu L, Yu Q, Liu T, Wang G, et al. Zbtb7b engages the long noncoding RNA Blnc1 to drive brown and beige fat development and thermogenesis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2017;114:E7111-E7120 pubmed publisher..These findings illustrate the emerging concept of a protein-lncRNA regulatory network in the control of adipose tissue biology and energy metabolism. ..
- Kim B, Mao J, Taketo M, Shivdasani R. Phases of canonical Wnt signaling during the development of mouse intestinal epithelium. Gastroenterology. 2007;133:529-38 pubmed..The canonical Wnt pathway has independent, albeit possibly overlapping, functions in early intestinal villi and adult crypts. These observations advance understanding of Wnt functions in intestinal development and disease. ..
- Zhang A, Liu X, Cogan J, Fuerst M, Polikandriotis J, Kelm R, et al. YB-1 coordinates vascular smooth muscle alpha-actin gene activation by transforming growth factor beta1 and thrombin during differentiation of human pulmonary myofibroblasts. Mol Biol Cell. 2005;16:4931-40 pubmed..This loop may help restrict organ-destructive remodeling due to excessive myofibroblast differentiation. ..
- Lee C, Dhillon J, Wang M, Gao Y, Hu K, Park E, et al. Targeting YB-1 in HER-2 overexpressing breast cancer cells induces apoptosis via the mTOR/STAT3 pathway and suppresses tumor growth in mice. Cancer Res. 2008;68:8661-6 pubmed publisher..We conclude that HER-2 overexpressing as well as triple-negative breast cancer cells are YB-1 dependent, suggesting it may be a good therapeutic target for these exceptionally aggressive tumors. ..
- Xiong P, Zhang J, Xu D, Zhu J, Li W, Liu J, et al. Positive feedback loop of YB-1 interacting with Smad2 promotes liver fibrosis. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2017;484:753-761 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, TGF-? signaling pathway may influence liver fibrosis by incorporating with YB-1, indicating that YB-1 could be a potential target for therapies against liver fibrosis. ..
- Dong W, Wang H, Shahzad K, Bock F, Al Dabet M, Ranjan S, et al. Activated Protein C Ameliorates Renal Ischemia-Reperfusion Injury by Restricting Y-Box Binding Protein-1 Ubiquitination. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2015;26:2789-99 pubmed publisher..These insights may provide new impetus for translational efforts aiming to restrict renal IRI. ..
- Schmid R, Meyer K, Spang R, Schittek B, Bosserhoff A. YBX1 is a modulator of MIA/CD-RAP-dependent chondrogenesis. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e82166 pubmed publisher..A series of truncated p54(nrb) promoter constructs and mutagenesis analysis revealed that the transcription factor YBX1, which has not been investigated in chondrogenesis thus far, is the mediator of MIA/CD-RAP dependent activation of ..
- Zou Y, Evans S, Chen J, Kuo H, Harvey R, Chien K. CARP, a cardiac ankyrin repeat protein, is downstream in the Nkx2-5 homeobox gene pathway. Development. 1997;124:793-804 pubmed
- Ohashi S, Moue M, Tanaka T, Kobayashi S. Translational level of acetylcholine receptor ? mRNA in mouse skeletal muscle is regulated by YB-1 in response to neural activity. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2011;414:647-52 pubmed publisher..It is suggested that although the level of AChR ? mRNA is reduced, the translation can be induced by alteration of the ratio of YB-1 protein to the mRNA. ..
- Kochilas L, Li J, Jin F, Buck C, Epstein J. p57Kip2 expression is enhanced during mid-cardiac murine development and is restricted to trabecular myocardium. Pediatr Res. 1999;45:635-42 pubmed..This result and further structural analysis suggests that the myocardial defect of Splotch embryos is associated with precocious cardiomyocyte differentiation. ..
- Kotake Y, Ozawa Y, Harada M, Kitagawa K, Niida H, Morita Y, et al. YB1 binds to and represses the p16 tumor suppressor gene. Genes Cells. 2013;18:999-1006 pubmed publisherb>Y box binding protein 1 (YB1) has multiple functions associated with drug resistance, cell proliferation and metastasis through transcriptional and translational regulation...
- Hanssen L, Alidousty C, Djudjaj S, Frye B, Rauen T, Boor P, et al. YB-1 is an early and central mediator of bacterial and sterile inflammation in vivo. J Immunol. 2013;191:2604-13 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, our findings identify YB-1 as a major, nonredundant mediator in both systemic and local inflammatory responses. ..
- Carlini L, Getz M, Strauch A, Kelm R. Cryptic MCAT enhancer regulation in fibroblasts and smooth muscle cells. Suppression of TEF-1 mediated activation by the single-stranded DNA-binding proteins, Pur alpha, Pur beta, and MSY1. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:8682-92 pubmed..while flanking nucleotides account for interaction of Pur alpha and Pur beta with the purine-rich strand and MSY1 with the complementary pyrimidine-rich strand...
- Wolffe A, Tafuri S, Ranjan M, Familari M. The Y-box factors: a family of nucleic acid binding proteins conserved from Escherichia coli to man. New Biol. 1992;4:290-8 pubmed..Biologically they have roles in both transcriptional and translational regulation. Conserved through evolution from prokaryotic to eukaryotic organisms they represent a new family of nucleic acid binding proteins. ..
- Laman A, Lathe R, Shepelyakovskaya A, Gartseva A, Brovko F, Guryanova S, et al. Muramyl peptides activate innate immunity conjointly via YB1 and NOD2. Innate Immun. 2016;22:666-673 pubmed publisher..We also report subcellular colocalization of NOD2 and YB1. Although YB1 may have other binding partners in addition to NOD2, maximal innate immunity activation by muramyl peptides is mediated via an interaction between YB1 and NOD2. ..
- Lu Z, Books J, Ley T. Cold shock domain family members YB-1 and MSY4 share essential functions during murine embryogenesis. Mol Cell Biol. 2006;26:8410-7 pubmed..5 to E11.5) than YB-1-deficient embryos, suggesting that MSY4 indeed shares critical cellular functions with YB-1 in the embryonic tissues where they are coexpressed. ..
- Bhullar J, Sollars V. YBX1 expression and function in early hematopoiesis and leukemic cells. Immunogenetics. 2011;63:337-50 pubmed publisher..Y-box protein (YBX1) is a transcription factor which is widely expressed throughout development and is involved in erythroid cell ..
- Fantauzzo K, Soriano P. PI3K-mediated PDGFR? signaling regulates survival and proliferation in skeletal development through p53-dependent intracellular pathways. Genes Dev. 2014;28:1005-17 pubmed publisher..Our findings identify p53 as a novel effector downstream from PI3K-engaged PDGFR? signaling that regulates survival and proliferation during skeletal development in vivo...
- Tafuri S, Familari M, Wolffe A. A mouse Y box protein, MSY1, is associated with paternal mRNA in spermatocytes. J Biol Chem. 1993;268:12213-20 pubmedWe have isolated a mouse cDNA clone, which encodes the protein MSY1 (mouse Y box protein 1), a new member of the Y box family of proteins...
- Ohba H, Chiyoda T, Endo E, Yano M, Hayakawa Y, Sakaguchi M, et al. Sox21 is a repressor of neuronal differentiation and is antagonized by YB-1. Neurosci Lett. 2004;358:157-60 pubmed..These results suggest that Sox21 is a repressor of neuronal differentiation in the developing nervous system. ..
- Fotovati A, Abu Ali S, Wang P, Deleyrolle L, Lee C, Triscott J, et al. YB-1 bridges neural stem cells and brain tumor-initiating cells via its roles in differentiation and cell growth. Cancer Res. 2011;71:5569-78 pubmed publisher..These proteins were highly expressed in 10/15 (67%) of GBM patients that subsequently relapsed. In conclusion, YB-1 correlatively expresses with NSC markers where it functions to promote cell growth and inhibit differentiation. ..
- Uchiumi T, Fotovati A, Sasaguri T, Shibahara K, Shimada T, Fukuda T, et al. YB-1 is important for an early stage embryonic development: neural tube formation and cell proliferation. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:40440-9 pubmed..These results demonstrate that YB-1 is involved in early mouse development, including neural tube closure and cell proliferation. ..
- Hanssen L, Frye B, Ostendorf T, Alidousty C, Djudjaj S, Boor P, et al. Y-box binding protein-1 mediates profibrotic effects of calcineurin inhibitors in the kidney. J Immunol. 2011;187:298-308 pubmed publisher..Our results provide strong evidence for a CNI-dependent induction of YB-1 in MCs that contributes to renal fibrosis via regulation of its own and collagen translation. ..
- Raffetseder U, Rauen T, Boor P, Ostendorf T, Hanssen L, Floege J, et al. Extracellular YB-1 blockade in experimental nephritis upregulates Notch-3 receptor expression and signaling. Nephron Exp Nephrol. 2011;118:e100-8 pubmed publisher..Extracellular targeting of YB-1 potently induces glomerular Notch-3 receptor expression, Notch signaling and YB-1 stabilization, most likely via an autoregulatory feedback mechanism. ..
- Bann D, Beyer A, Parent L. A murine retrovirus co-Opts YB-1, a translational regulator and stress granule-associated protein, to facilitate virus assembly. J Virol. 2014;88:4434-50 pubmed publisher..Functional studies of Gag/YB-1 granules suggest that they may be sites where virus particles assemble. These studies provide significant insights into the interplay between mRNA processing factors and retroviruses. ..
- Krohn R, Raffetseder U, Bot I, Zernecke A, Shagdarsuren E, Liehn E, et al. Y-box binding protein-1 controls CC chemokine ligand-5 (CCL5) expression in smooth muscle cells and contributes to neointima formation in atherosclerosis-prone mice. Circulation. 2007;116:1812-20 pubmed..The transcriptional regulator YB-1 mediates CCL5 expression in smooth muscle cells and thereby contributes to neointimal hyperplasia, thus representing a novel target with which to limit vascular remodeling. ..
- Paynton B. RNA-binding proteins in mouse oocytes and embryos: expression of genes encoding Y box, DEAD box RNA helicase, and polyA binding proteins. Dev Genet. 1998;23:285-98 pubmed..of this study was to determine whether mouse oocytes and embryos express sequences encoding a Y box protein, (MSY1); on RNA helicase, (RCK/p54); and a universally expressed PABP and testis specific isoform (PABP1 and PABPt, ..
- Funke B, Zuleger B, Benavente R, Schuster T, Goller M, Stevenin J, et al. The mouse poly(C)-binding protein exists in multiple isoforms and interacts with several RNA-binding proteins. Nucleic Acids Res. 1996;24:3821-8 pubmed..The interaction between mCBP and splicing factor 9G8 was confirmed in vivo. These results suggest a function of mCBP in RNA metabolism. ..
- Duh J, Zhu H, Shertzer H, Nebert D, Puga A. The Y-box motif mediates redox-dependent transcriptional activation in mouse cells. J Biol Chem. 1995;270:30499-507 pubmed..These results suggest that the Y-box proteins may be an integral component of a eukaryotic redox signaling pathway. ..