Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Wnt7b
Description: wingless-type MMTV integration site family, member 7B
Alias: Wnt-7b, protein Wnt-7b, wingless-related MMTV integration site 7B
- Sugitani Y, Nakai S, Minowa O, Nishi M, Jishage K, Kawano H, et al. Brn-1 and Brn-2 share crucial roles in the production and positioning of mouse neocortical neurons. Genes Dev. 2002;16:1760-5 pubmed..These data indicate that Brn-1 and Brn-2 share roles in the production and positioning of neocortical neuron development. ..
- Theil T. Gli3 is required for the specification and differentiation of preplate neurons. Dev Biol. 2005;286:559-71 pubmed..progenitor cells start to loose their apical/basal cell polarity correlating with an ectopic expression of Wnt7b in the ventricular zone. In addition, the cellular composition of the preplate is severely altered...
- Papadopoulou S, Edlund H. Attenuated Wnt signaling perturbs pancreatic growth but not pancreatic function. Diabetes. 2005;54:2844-51 pubmed..Collectively, our data provide evidence that Wnt signaling is required for pancreatic growth but not adult beta-cell function. ..
- Zhang Y, Rath N, Hannenhalli S, Wang Z, Cappola T, Kimura S, et al. GATA and Nkx factors synergistically regulate tissue-specific gene expression and development in vivo. Development. 2007;134:189-98 pubmed
- Parr B, Shea M, Vassileva G, McMahon A. Mouse Wnt genes exhibit discrete domains of expression in the early embryonic CNS and limb buds. Development. 1993;119:247-61 pubmed..We discuss the significance of these patterns of restricted and partially overlapping domains of expression with respect to the putative function of Wnt signalling in early CNS and limb development. ..
- Hu H, Hilton M, Tu X, Yu K, Ornitz D, Long F. Sequential roles of Hedgehog and Wnt signaling in osteoblast development. Development. 2005;132:49-60 pubmed..Finally Wnt7b is identified as a potential endogenous ligand regulating osteogenesis...
- Lee S, Tole S, Grove E, McMahon A. A local Wnt-3a signal is required for development of the mammalian hippocampus. Development. 2000;127:457-67 pubmed..Thus, Wnt-3a signaling is crucial for the normal growth of the hippocampus. We suggest that the coordination of growth with patterning may be a general role for Wnts during vertebrate development. ..
- Ahmad Annuar A, Ciani L, Simeonidis I, Herreros J, Fredj N, Rosso S, et al. Signaling across the synapse: a role for Wnt and Dishevelled in presynaptic assembly and neurotransmitter release. J Cell Biol. 2006;174:127-39 pubmed..These findings demonstrate that Wnts signal across the synapse on Dvl-expressing presynaptic terminals to regulate synaptic assembly and suggest a potential novel function for Wnts in neurotransmitter release. ..
- Kispert A, Vainio S, Shen L, Rowitch D, McMahon A. Proteoglycans are required for maintenance of Wnt-11 expression in the ureter tips. Development. 1996;122:3627-37 pubmed..We suggest that Wnt-11 acts as an autocrine factor within the ureter epithelium and that its expression is regulated at least in part by proteoglycans. ..
- Abu Khalil A, Fu L, Grove E, Zecevic N, Geschwind D. Wnt genes define distinct boundaries in the developing human brain: implications for human forebrain patterning. J Comp Neurol. 2004;474:276-88 pubmed..We examined the expression of WNT2b and WNT7b in the human brain, because these genes have highly distinctive expression patterns in the embryonic mouse ..
- Galceran J, Miyashita Lin E, Devaney E, Rubenstein J, Grosschedl R. Hippocampus development and generation of dentate gyrus granule cells is regulated by LEF1. Development. 2000;127:469-82 pubmed..Thus, LEF1 regulates the generation of dentate gyrus granule cells, and together with other LEF1/TCF proteins, the development of the hippocampus. ..
- Parr B, Cornish V, Cybulsky M, McMahon A. Wnt7b regulates placental development in mice. Dev Biol. 2001;237:324-32 pubmed..We have generated a targeted mutation in the mouse Wnt7b gene. Homozygous Wnt7b mutant mice die at midgestation stages as a result of placental abnormalities...
- Patterson L, Pembaur M, Potter S. Hoxa11 and Hoxd11 regulate branching morphogenesis of the ureteric bud in the developing kidney. Development. 2001;128:2153-61 pubmed..In situ hybridizations with Wnt7b, a marker of the metanephric kidney, show that the branching defect was not simply the result of homeotic ..
- Wang Z, Shu W, Lu M, Morrisey E. Wnt7b activates canonical signaling in epithelial and vascular smooth muscle cells through interactions with Fzd1, Fzd10, and LRP5. Mol Cell Biol. 2005;25:5022-30 pubmedb>Wnt7b is a Wnt ligand that has been demonstrated to play critical roles in several developmental processes, including lung airway and vascular development and chorion-allantois fusion during placental development...
- Lyuksyutova A, Lu C, Milanesio N, King L, Guo N, Wang Y, et al. Anterior-posterior guidance of commissural axons by Wnt-frizzled signaling. Science. 2003;302:1984-8 pubmed..Thus, Wnt-Frizzled signaling guides commissural axons along the anterior-posterior axis of the spinal cord. ..
- Nagalakshmi V, Ren Q, Pugh M, Valerius M, McMahon A, Yu J. Dicer regulates the development of nephrogenic and ureteric compartments in the mammalian kidney. Kidney Int. 2011;79:317-30 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, an understanding of miRNA action may provide new insights into the etiology and pathogenesis of renal cyst-based kidney disease. ..
- Carroll T, Park J, Hayashi S, Majumdar A, McMahon A. Wnt9b plays a central role in the regulation of mesenchymal to epithelial transitions underlying organogenesis of the mammalian urogenital system. Dev Cell. 2005;9:283-92 pubmed..Together these findings suggest that Wnt9b is a common organizing signal regulating diverse components of the mammalian urogenital system...
- Tu X, Joeng K, Nakayama K, Nakayama K, Rajagopal J, Carroll T, et al. Noncanonical Wnt signaling through G protein-linked PKCdelta activation promotes bone formation. Dev Cell. 2007;12:113-27 pubmed..Furthermore, Wnt7b, expressed by osteogenic cells in vivo, induces osteoblast differentiation in vitro via the PKCdelta-mediated ..
- Bluske K, Kawakami Y, Koyano Nakagawa N, Nakagawa Y. Differential activity of Wnt/beta-catenin signaling in the embryonic mouse thalamus. Dev Dyn. 2009;238:3297-309 pubmed publisher..Analysis of mice with enhanced or reduced Shh signal showed that Axin2 expression is similar to controls. These results suggest that differential Wnt signaling may play a role in patterning the thalamus independent of Shh signaling. ..
- Theil T, Aydin S, Koch S, Grotewold L, Ruther U. Wnt and Bmp signalling cooperatively regulate graded Emx2 expression in the dorsal telencephalon. Development. 2002;129:3045-54 pubmed..These results establish Emx2 as a direct transcriptional target of Wnt and Bmp signalling and provide insights into a genetic hierarchy involving Gli3, Emx2 and Bmp and Wnt genes in the control of dorsal telencephalic development. ..
- Snowball J, Ambalavanan M, Whitsett J, Sinner D. Endodermal Wnt signaling is required for tracheal cartilage formation. Dev Biol. 2015;405:56-70 pubmed publisher..Ex vivo studies demonstrated that Wnt7b and Wnt5a, expressed by the epithelium of developing trachea, and active Wnt/Î²-catenin signaling are required ..
- Airik R, Bussen M, Singh M, Petry M, Kispert A. Tbx18 regulates the development of the ureteral mesenchyme. J Clin Invest. 2006;116:663-74 pubmed..Our analysis also showed that the ureteral mesenchyme derives from a distinct cell population that is separated early in kidney development from that of other mesenchymal cells of the renal system. ..
- Sugiyama N, Tsukiyama T, Yamaguchi T, Yokoyama T. The canonical Wnt signaling pathway is not involved in renal cyst development in the kidneys of inv mutant mice. Kidney Int. 2011;79:957-65 pubmed publisher..Thus, our results do not support the hypothesis that canonical Wnt signaling causes renal cyst development in these mice. ..
- Posokhova E, Shukla A, Seaman S, Volate S, Hilton M, Wu B, et al. GPR124 functions as a WNT7-specific coactivator of canonical ?-catenin signaling. Cell Rep. 2015;10:123-30 pubmed publisher..Similar developmental defects were observed following dual deletion of Wnt7a/Wnt7b or deletion of ?-catenin in endothelial cells, suggesting a possible relationship between GPR124 and canonical WNT ..
- Yao C, Carraro G, Konda B, Guan X, Mizuno T, Chiba N, et al. Sin3a regulates epithelial progenitor cell fate during lung development. Development. 2017;144:2618-2628 pubmed publisher..Together, these findings reveal that Sin3a is an essential regulator for early lung endoderm specification and differentiation. ..
- Uusitalo M, Heikkilä M, Vainio S. Molecular genetic studies of Wnt signaling in the mouse. Exp Cell Res. 1999;253:336-48 pubmed
- Wan H, Dingle S, Xu Y, Besnard V, Kaestner K, Ang S, et al. Compensatory roles of Foxa1 and Foxa2 during lung morphogenesis. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:13809-16 pubmed..Foxa family members regulate signaling and transcriptional programs required for morphogenesis and cell differentiation during formation of the lung. ..
- Suda Y, Matsuo I, Aizawa S. Cooperation between Otx1 and Otx2 genes in developmental patterning of rostral brain. Mech Dev. 1997;69:125-41 pubmed
- Fotaki V, Larralde O, Zeng S, McLaughlin D, Nichols J, Price D, et al. Loss of Wnt8b has no overt effect on hippocampus development but leads to altered Wnt gene expression levels in dorsomedial telencephalon. Dev Dyn. 2010;239:284-296 pubmed publisher..Thus, loss of Wnt8b does not give rise to an overt morphological phenotype, but does affect expression levels of other Wnts in developing forebrain. ..
- Schwab K, Patterson L, Hartman H, Song N, Lang R, Lin X, et al. Pygo1 and Pygo2 roles in Wnt signaling in mammalian kidney development. BMC Biol. 2007;5:15 pubmed..In mammals, the Pygo1/Pygo2 genes are not absolutely required for canonical Wnt signaling in most developing systems, but rather function as quantitative transducers, or modulators, of Wnt signal intensity. ..
- Trowe M, Airik R, Weiss A, Farin H, Foik A, Bettenhausen E, et al. Canonical Wnt signaling regulates smooth muscle precursor development in the mouse ureter. Development. 2012;139:3099-108 pubmed publisher..Here, we identified epithelial Wnt7b and Wnt9b as possible ligands of Fzd1-mediated ?-catenin (Ctnnb1)-dependent (canonical) Wnt signaling in the ..
- Shiah S, Hsiao J, Chang W, Chen Y, Jin Y, Wong T, et al. Downregulated miR329 and miR410 promote the proliferation and invasion of oral squamous cell carcinoma by targeting Wnt-7b. Cancer Res. 2014;74:7560-72 pubmed publisher..Overall, our results provide novel molecular insights into how betel quid contributes to oral carcinogenesis through epigenetic silencing of tumor-suppressor miRNA that targets Wnt-?-catenin signaling. ..
- Tsai H, Niu J, MUNJI R, Davalos D, Chang J, Zhang H, et al. Oligodendrocyte precursors migrate along vasculature in the developing nervous system. Science. 2016;351:379-84 pubmed publisher..We identify Wnt-Cxcr4 (chemokine receptor 4) signaling in regulation of OPC-endothelial interactions and propose that this signaling coordinates OPC migration with differentiation. ..
- Reddy S, Andl T, Bagasra A, Lu M, Epstein D, Morrisey E, et al. Characterization of Wnt gene expression in developing and postnatal hair follicles and identification of Wnt5a as a target of Sonic hedgehog in hair follicle morphogenesis. Mech Dev. 2001;107:69-82 pubmed..These results identify candidates for several key follicular signals and suggest that WNT and SHH signaling pathways interact to regulate hair follicle morphogenesis. ..
- Chapouton P, Schuurmans C, Guillemot F, Gotz M. The transcription factor neurogenin 2 restricts cell migration from the cortex to the striatum. Development. 2001;128:5149-59 pubmed..Taken together, these results show that distinct cues located in the cortico-striatal boundary restrict cells in the dorsal and ventral telencephalon. ..
- Zhou H, Mak W, Zheng Y, Dunstan C, Seibel M. Osteoblasts directly control lineage commitment of mesenchymal progenitor cells through Wnt signaling. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:1936-45 pubmed..with reciprocal regulation of early adipogenic and osteoblastogenic transcription factors and with a reduction in Wnt7b and Wnt10b mRNA and beta-catenin protein levels in transgenic versus non-transgenic cultures...
- Snowball J, Ambalavanan M, Cornett B, Lang R, Whitsett J, Sinner D. Mesenchymal Wnt signaling promotes formation of sternum and thoracic body wall. Dev Biol. 2015;401:264-75 pubmed publisher..Thus, impaired Wls activity in the ventral body wall mesenchyme is a mechanism underlying ectopia cordis and unfused sternum. ..
- Liu A, Losos K, Joyner A. FGF8 can activate Gbx2 and transform regions of the rostral mouse brain into a hindbrain fate. Development. 1999;126:4827-38 pubmed
- Kuschert S, Rowitch D, Haenig B, McMahon A, Kispert A. Characterization of Pax-2 regulatory sequences that direct transgene expression in the Wolffian duct and its derivatives. Dev Biol. 2001;229:128-40 pubmed
- Iglesias D, Hueber P, Chu L, Campbell R, Patenaude A, Dziarmaga A, et al. Canonical WNT signaling during kidney development. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2007;293:F494-500 pubmed..We conclude that restricted zones of intense canonical WNT signaling drive branching nephrogenesis in fetal kidney. ..
- Cain J, Islam E, Haxho F, Blake J, Rosenblum N. GLI3 repressor controls functional development of the mouse ureter. J Clin Invest. 2011;121:1199-206 pubmed publisher..Together, these data demonstrate that Hh signaling controls Kit and Hcn3 expression and ureter peristalsis. ..
- Tanaka K, Okabayashi K, Asashima M, Perrimon N, Kadowaki T. The evolutionarily conserved porcupine gene family is involved in the processing of the Wnt family. Eur J Biochem. 2000;267:4300-11 pubmed..These results demonstrate that the porc gene family encodes the multitransmembrane ER proteins, which are evolutionarily well conserved and involved in processing the Wnt family. ..
- Kemp C, Willems E, Wawrzak D, Hendrickx M, Agbor Agbor T, Leyns L. Expression of Frizzled5, Frizzled7, and Frizzled10 during early mouse development and interactions with canonical Wnt signaling. Dev Dyn. 2007;236:2011-9 pubmed
- Yin Y, Wang F, Ornitz D. Mesothelial- and epithelial-derived FGF9 have distinct functions in the regulation of lung development. Development. 2011;138:3169-77 pubmed publisher..During pseudoglandular stages of lung development, Wnt2a and Wnt7b are the canonical WNT ligands that activate mesenchymal WNT/?-catenin signaling, whereas FGF9 is the only known ..
- Fotaki V, Price D, Mason J. Wnt/?-catenin signaling is disrupted in the extra-toes (Gli3(Xt/Xt) ) mutant from early stages of forebrain development, concomitant with anterior neural plate patterning defects. J Comp Neurol. 2011;519:1640-57 pubmed publisher..This is accompanied by a severe reduction in expression of Wnt7b and Wnt8b at the lateral edges of the anterior neural plate that will give rise to the pallium...
- Sarkar L, Cobourne M, Naylor S, Smalley M, Dale T, Sharpe P. Wnt/Shh interactions regulate ectodermal boundary formation during mammalian tooth development. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2000;97:4520-4 pubmed..Implantation of beads soaked in Shh protein into Wnt-7b-infected explants resulted in complete rescue of tooth development, confirming that the repressive action of Wnt-7b specifically affects Shh signaling. ..
- Blackburn J, Ohazama A, Kawasaki K, Otsuka Tanaka Y, Liu B, Honda K, et al. The role of Irf6 in tooth epithelial invagination. Dev Biol. 2012;365:61-70 pubmed publisher..Irf6 thus also plays a critical role in regulating epithelial invagination. In addition, we also found that canonical Wnt signaling is upregulated in evaginated incisor epithelium of both Ikk? and Irf6 mutant embryos. ..
- Foronjy R, Imai K, Shiomi T, Mercer B, Sklepkiewicz P, Thankachen J, et al. The divergent roles of secreted frizzled related protein-1 (SFRP1) in lung morphogenesis and emphysema. Am J Pathol. 2010;177:598-607 pubmed publisher..Thus, SFRP1 induction during tissue injury is unlikely to contribute to the repair response but rather is a participatory factor in the pathogenesis of emphysema and tissue destruction...
- Komada M, Saitsu H, Kinboshi M, Miura T, Shiota K, Ishibashi M. Hedgehog signaling is involved in development of the neocortex. Development. 2008;135:2717-27 pubmed publisher..Reduced Shh immunoreactivity in mutant dorsal telencephalons supports the above phenotypes. Our data indicate that Shh signaling plays an important role in development of the neocortex. ..
- Zhou C, Borello U, Rubenstein J, Pleasure S. Neuronal production and precursor proliferation defects in the neocortex of mice with loss of function in the canonical Wnt signaling pathway. Neuroscience. 2006;142:1119-31 pubmed..This analysis demonstrates that canonical Wnt signaling is required for a diverse array of developmental processes in the neocortex in addition to the previously known roles in regulating precursor proliferation and patterning. ..
- Lobov I, Rao S, Carroll T, Vallance J, Ito M, Ondr J, et al. WNT7b mediates macrophage-induced programmed cell death in patterning of the vasculature. Nature. 2005;437:417-21 pubmed..We show in mice that macrophage WNT7b is a short-range paracrine signal required for WNT-pathway responses and programmed cell death in the vascular ..
- Nie X, Xu J, El Hashash A, Xu P. Six1 regulates Grem1 expression in the metanephric mesenchyme to initiate branching morphogenesis. Dev Biol. 2011;352:141-51 pubmed publisher..This study uncovers an essential function for Six1 in the MM as an upstream regulator of Grem1 in initiating branching morphogenesis. ..
- Michos O, Cebrian C, Hyink D, Grieshammer U, Williams L, D AGATI V, et al. Kidney development in the absence of Gdnf and Spry1 requires Fgf10. PLoS Genet. 2010;6:e1000809 pubmed publisher..In contrast to GDNF or FGF10, Etv4 and Etv5 represent a critical node in the RTK signaling network that cannot by bypassed by reducing the negative regulation of upstream signals. ..
- Zhang Y, Tomann P, Andl T, Gallant N, Huelsken J, Jerchow B, et al. Reciprocal requirements for EDA/EDAR/NF-kappaB and Wnt/beta-catenin signaling pathways in hair follicle induction. Dev Cell. 2009;17:49-61 pubmed publisher..These data reveal a complex interplay and interdependence of Wnt/beta-catenin and EDA/EDAR/NF-kappaB signaling pathways in initiation and maintenance of primary hair follicle placodes...
- Daneman R, Agalliu D, Zhou L, Kuhnert F, Kuo C, Barres B. Wnt/beta-catenin signaling is required for CNS, but not non-CNS, angiogenesis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:641-6 pubmed publisher..of different Wnt ligands by neural progenitor cells in distinct locations throughout the CNS, including Wnt7a and Wnt7b in ventral regions and Wnt1, Wnt3, Wnt3a, and Wnt4 in dorsal regions...
- Yeo E, Cassetta L, Qian B, Lewkowich I, Li J, Stefater J, et al. Myeloid WNT7b mediates the angiogenic switch and metastasis in breast cancer. Cancer Res. 2014;74:2962-73 pubmed publisher..database revealed that 52 of 53 human breast carcinomas showed substantial upregulation of WNT family ligand WNT7B. Immunolabeling of human mammary carcinoma showed that WNT7B immunoreactivity was associated with both tumor cells ..
- Super H, Hasenkrug K, Simmons S, Brooks D, Konzek R, Sarge K, et al. Fine mapping of the friend retrovirus resistance gene, Rfv3, on mouse chromosome 15. J Virol. 1999;73:7848-52 pubmed..linked genes in an interspecific backcross panel allowed us to exclude two previous candidate genes, Ly6 and Wnt7b. These studies also showed for the first time that the Hsf1 gene maps to the Rfv3-linked cluster of genes ..
- Sarkar L, Sharpe P. Expression of Wnt signalling pathway genes during tooth development. Mech Dev. 1999;85:197-200 pubmed..Wnt-5a and MFrzb1 show strong expression in the dental papilla mesenchyme. ..
- Lin S, Li B, Rao S, Yeo E, Hudson T, Nowlin B, et al. Macrophage Wnt7b is critical for kidney repair and regeneration. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:4194-9 pubmed publisher..Here we show, using the kidney as a model, that the Wnt pathway ligand Wnt7b is produced by macrophages to stimulate repair and regeneration...
- Voss A, Krebs D, Thomas T. C3G regulates the size of the cerebral cortex neural precursor population. EMBO J. 2006;25:3652-63 pubmed..Our results show that the size of the cortical neural precursor population is controlled by C3G-mediated inhibition of the Ras signalling pathway. ..