Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Wnt6
Description: wingless-related MMTV integration site 6
Alias: AA409270, Wnt-6, protein Wnt-6
- A role for WNT proteins in induction of dermomyotomeC M Fan
Department of Embryology, Carnegie Institution of Washington, 115 West University Parkway, Baltimore, Maryland 21210, USA
Dev Biol 191:160-5. 1997..The documented expression of Wnt1 and Wnt3a in the dorsal neural tube and of Wnt4 and Wnt6 in the surface ectoderm at the time of dermomyotome specification prompted us to investigate the involvement of WNT ..
- Expression of the Wnt inhibitor Dickkopf-1 is required for the induction of neural markers in mouse embryonic stem cells differentiating in response to retinoic acidR Verani
Department of Human Physiology and Pharmacology, University of Rome La Sapienza, Rome, Italy
J Neurochem 100:242-50. 2007..These data suggest that induction of Dkk-1 and the ensuing inhibition of the canonical Wnt pathway is required for neural differentiation of ES cells...
- A new nomenclature for int-1 and related genes: the Wnt gene familyR Nusse
Cell 64:231. 1991
- Expression of multiple novel Wnt-1/int-1-related genes during fetal and adult mouse developmentB J Gavin
Roche Institute of Molecular Biology, Hoffmann La Roche, Roche Research Center, Nutley, New Jersey 07110
Genes Dev 4:2319-32. 1990..All new Wnt family members are expressed in adult tissues, particularly in brain and lung. These data support the view that the Wnt-1/int-1 family constitutes a large family of signaling peptides with diverse roles in mouse development...
- A high-resolution genetic, physical, and comparative gene map of the doublefoot (Dbf) region of mouse chromosome 1 and the region of conserved synteny on human chromosome 2q35C Hayes
Medical Research Council, Mammalian Genetics Unit and UK Mouse Genome Centre, Harwell, Didcot, Oxon, OX11 0RD, UK
Genomics 78:197-205. 2001..These genes include those encoding known developmental signaling molecules such as WNT proteins and IHH, and we provide evidence that these genes are candidates for the Dbf mutation...
- The WNT7b promoter is regulated by TTF-1, GATA6, and Foxa2 in lung epitheliumJoel Weidenfeld
Department of Medicine, Molecular Cardiology Research Center, and the Department of Dermatology, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
J Biol Chem 277:21061-70. 2002..Together, these results suggest that WNT7b gene expression in the lung epithelium is regulated in a combinatorial fashion by TTF-1, GATA6, and Foxa2...
- Regulation of angiogenesis by a non-canonical Wnt-Flt1 pathway in myeloid cellsJames A Stefater
The Visual Systems Group, Division of Pediatric Ophthalmology, Cincinnati Children s Hospital Medical Center, Cincinnati, Ohio 45229, USA
Nature 474:511-5. 2011..These findings indicate that resident myeloid cells can use a non-canonical, Wnt-Flt1 pathway to suppress angiogenic branching...
- The stabilization of beta-catenin leads to impaired primordial germ cell development via aberrant cell cycle progressionTohru Kimura
Department of Pathology, Graduate School of Medicine, Osaka University, 2 2 Yamada oka, Suita, Osaka 565 0871, Japan
Dev Biol 300:545-53. 2006..Our results show that the suppression of Wnt/beta-catenin signaling is a prerequisite for the normal development of PGCs...
- Sox2 is required for development of taste bud sensory cellsTadashi Okubo
Department of Cell Biology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
Genes Dev 20:2654-9. 2006....
- Gata3 is required for early morphogenesis and Fgf10 expression during otic developmentKersti Lilleväli
Institute of Biotechnology, University of Helsinki, Viikinkaari 9, 00710 Helsinki, Finland
Mech Dev 123:415-29. 2006..Inactivation of Gata3 leads also to a loss of Fgf10 expression in otic epithelium and auditory ganglion demonstrating that Gata3 is an important regulator of Fgf-signalling during otic development...
- The mouse Ovol2 gene is required for cranial neural tube developmentDouglas R Mackay
Department of Biological Chemistry, College of Medicine, D250 Med Sci I, University of California, Irvine, CA 92697 1700, USA
Dev Biol 291:38-52. 2006..Collectively, our studies indicate that Ovol2 is a key regulator of neural development and reveal a previously unexplored role for Ovo genes in mammalian embryogenesis...
- Gene trap screening as an effective approach for identification of Wnt-responsive genes in the mouse embryoYoshifumi Yamaguchi
Okazaki Institute for Integrative Biosciences, National Institutes of Natural Sciences, Myodaiji, Okazaki, Aichi, Japan
Dev Dyn 233:484-95. 2005..These results indicate that the gene trap is an effective method for systematic identification of Wnt-responsive genes during embryogenesis...
- Wnt 6 regulates the epithelialisation process of the segmental plate mesoderm leading to somite formationCorina Schmidt
Institute of Anatomy, Ludwigs Maximilians University of Munich, D 80336, Germany
Dev Biol 271:198-209. 2004..b>Wnt6 is a good candidate as a somite epithelialisation factor from the ectoderm since it is expressed in this tissue...
- Expression and estradiol regulation of Wnt genes in the mouse blastocyst identify a candidate pathway for embryo-maternal signaling at implantationOthman A Mohamed
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H3A 1A1
Biol Reprod 71:417-24. 2004....
- Increased expression of Wnt2 and SFRP4 in Tsk mouse skin: role of Wnt signaling in altered dermal fibrillin deposition and systemic sclerosisJulie Bayle
Department of Medicine, Rheumatology Section, Boston University School of Medicine, Arthritis Center, Boston, Massachusetts 02118, USA
J Invest Dermatol 128:871-81. 2008..Lesional skin from SSc patients also showed large increases in SFRP4 mRNA and protein levels in the deep dermis compared to healthy skin, suggesting that the Wnt pathway might regulate skin fibrosis in SSc...
- Wnt6 induces the specification and epithelialization of F9 embryonal carcinoma cells to primitive endodermRoman Krawetz
Department of Biology, Molecular Genetics Unit, University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario, Canada
Cell Signal 20:506-17. 2008..Here, we identified Wnt6 as a gene up-regulated in F9 cells in response to RA and show that Wnt6 expressing cells or cells exposed to Wnt6 ..
- Notch signaling augments the canonical Wnt pathway to specify the size of the otic placodeChathurani S Jayasena
Gonda Department of Cell and Molecular Biology, House Ear Institute, 2100 West 3rd Street, Los Angeles, CA 90057, USA
Development 135:2251-61. 2008....
- FGF signaling regulates otic placode induction and refinement by controlling both ectodermal target genes and hindbrain Wnt8aLisa D Urness
Department of Human Genetics, University of Utah, 15 N 2030 E, RM 2100, Salt Lake City, UT 84112 5330, USA
Dev Biol 340:595-604. 2010..Collectively, our results suggest that Wnt8a provides the link between FGF-induced formation of the pre-otic field and restriction of the otic placode to ectoderm adjacent to the hindbrain...
- Salmonella regulation of intestinal stem cells through the Wnt/beta-catenin pathwayXingyin Liu
Department of Medicine, University of Rochester, 601 Elmwood Avenue, Rochester, NY 14642, USA
FEBS Lett 584:911-6. 2010..The numbers of stem cells and proliferative cells increased in the intestine infected with Salmonella expressing AvrA. Our study provides insights into bacterial infection and stem cell maintenance...
- Temporomandibular joint formation requires two distinct hedgehog-dependent stepsPatricia Purcell
Department of Genetics, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106:18297-302. 2009..Thus, these experiments establish that Hh signaling acts at two distinct steps in disk morphogenesis, condyle initiation, and disk-condyle separation and provide a molecular framework for future studies of the TMJ...
- Patterns of Wnt pathway activity in the mouse incisor indicate absence of Wnt/beta-catenin signaling in the epithelial stem cellsMarika Suomalainen
Developmental Biology Programme, Institute of Biotechnology, Viikki Biocenter, University of Helsinki, Finland
Dev Dyn 239:364-72. 2010..We conclude that epithelial stem cells in the mouse incisors are not regulated directly by Wnt/beta-catenin signaling...
- Coordinate Galpha13 and Wnt6-beta-catenin signaling in F9 embryonal carcinoma cells is required for primitive endoderm differentiationRoman Krawetz
Department of Biology, Molecular Genetics Unit, University of Western Ontario, London, ON N6A 5B7, Canada
Biochem Cell Biol 87:567-80. 2009....
- Reciprocal requirements for EDA/EDAR/NF-kappaB and Wnt/beta-catenin signaling pathways in hair follicle inductionYuhang Zhang
Departments of Dermatology and Cell and Developmental Biology, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Dev Cell 17:49-61. 2009..These data reveal a complex interplay and interdependence of Wnt/beta-catenin and EDA/EDAR/NF-kappaB signaling pathways in initiation and maintenance of primary hair follicle placodes...
- Activation of beta-Catenin in mouse prostate causes HGPIN and continuous prostate growth after castrationXiuping Yu
Department of Urologic Surgery, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Prostate 69:249-62. 2009..Although stabilizing mutations in APC and beta-Catenin are rare in primary prostate tumors, recent studies suggest that cytoplasmic/nuclear beta-Catenin is associated with advanced, metastatic, hormone-refractory prostate carcinoma...
- Analysis of mouse kreisler mutants reveals new roles of hindbrain-derived signals in the establishment of the otic neurogenic domainCitlali Vázquez-Echeverría
Departament de Ciencies Experimentals i de la Salut, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, C Dr Aiguader 88, 08003 Barcelona, Spain
Dev Biol 322:167-78. 2008..These results highlight the importance of hindbrain-derived signals in the regulation of otic neurogenesis...
- Canonical Wnt signalling induces satellite-cell proliferation during adult skeletal muscle regenerationAnthony Otto
School of Biological Sciences, AMS Building, University of Reading, Whiteknights, PO Box 228, Reading, Berkshire RG6 6AJ, UK
J Cell Sci 121:2939-50. 2008..By contrast, exposure of satellite cells to Wnt4 or Wnt6 diminishes this process...
- An optimized procedure for whole-mount in situ hybridization on mouse embryos and embryoid bodiesDenis Piette
Vrije Universiteit Brussel VUB, Department of Biology, Lab for Cell Genetics, Pleinlaan 2, 1050 Brussels, Belgium
Nat Protoc 3:1194-201. 2008..We also describe an in situ method for differential detection of two probes. Probe labeling and dissection and preparation of the embryos can be performed in 2 d. The actual WISH procedure can be completed in another 3 d...
- Identification of the mammary line in mouse by Wnt10b expressionJacqueline M Veltmaat
UMR 144 CNRS Institut Curie, Equipe de Morphogenèse Cellulaire et Progression Tumorale, Paris, France
Dev Dyn 229:349-56. 2004..25 as a concise line of Wnt10b expression and a broader band of Wnt6 expression in the surface ectoderm, between the subaxillary and suprainguinal region of each flank...
- Zic2 is required for neural crest formation and hindbrain patterning during mouse developmentPaul Elms
Laboratory of Early Development, Mammalian Genetics Unit, MRC, Harwell, Oxfordshire, OX11 ORD, UK
Dev Biol 264:391-406. 2003..This work provides the first genetic evidence that the Zic genes are involved in neural crest production and the first demonstration that Zic2 functions during hindbrain patterning...
- Characterization of Wnt signaling components and activation of the Wnt canonical pathway in the murine retinaHong Liu
Molecular Medicine Program, Ottawa Health Research Institute, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Dev Dyn 227:323-34. 2003....
- Expression of Wnt signalling pathway genes during tooth developmentL Sarkar
Department of Craniofacial Development, Guy s Tower, Guy s, Kings and St Thomas Schools of Medicine, Dentistry and Biomedical Sciences, Floor 28, Guy s Tower, London Bridge, London SE1 9RT, UK
Mech Dev 85:197-200. 1999..Wnt-5a and MFrzb1 show strong expression in the dental papilla mesenchyme...
- Female development in mammals is regulated by Wnt-4 signallingS Vainio
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, The Biolabs, Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138, USA
Nature 397:405-9. 1999..Wnt-4 may also be required for maintenance of the female germ line. Thus, the establishment of sexual dimorphism is under the control of both local and systemic signals...
- The WntsJ J Loureiro
Department of Biology, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 27599-3280, USA
Curr Biol 9:R4. 1999
- Wnt signaling from the dorsal neural tube is required for the formation of the medial dermomyotomeM Ikeya
Center for Molecular and Developmental Biology, Faculty of Science, Kyoto University, Kitashirakawa, Sakyo ku, Kyoto 606 8502, Japan
Development 125:4969-76. 1998..These results indicate that Wnt-1 and Wnt-3a signalings actually regulate the formation of the medial compartment of the dermomyotome and the early part of myogenesis...
- Mouse Wnt genes exhibit discrete domains of expression in the early embryonic CNS and limb budsB A Parr
Department of Cell and Developmental Biology, Roche Institute of Molecular Biology, Nutley, NJ 07110
Development 119:247-61. 1993..We discuss the significance of these patterns of restricted and partially overlapping domains of expression with respect to the putative function of Wnt signalling in early CNS and limb development...
- Alterations of the growth characteristics of the fibroblast cell line C3H 10T1/2 by members of the Wnt gene familyJ M Bradbury
Department of Pathology, University of Cambridge, UK
Oncogene 9:2597-603. 1994..We conclude that at least some mesenchymal cells can respond to Wnt gene products. Our results are also the first report of biological effects of Wnt-6 and Wnt-7b...
- Developmental and hormonal regulation of Wnt gene expression in the mouse mammary glandS J Weber-Hall
Institute of Cancer Research, Haddow Laboratories, Sutton, Surrey, UK
Differentiation 57:205-14. 1994..Finally, Wnt-2, Wnt-4 and Wnt-5b were shown to be regulated by ovarian hormones. These results suggest that Wnt genes have non-redundant roles in breast development and may be involved in the hormonal regulation of mammary growth...
- Regulated expression of Wnt family members during neuroectodermal differentiation of P19 embryonal carcinoma cells: overexpression of Wnt-1 perturbs normal differentiation-specific propertiesB D Smolich
SUGEN, Inc, Redwood City, California 94063
Dev Biol 166:300-10. 1994..These data suggest that Wnt-1 itself can induce some aspects of early neuroectodermal differentiation and, furthermore, that the correct timing of Wnt-1 expression is necessary for proper RA-induced expression of the neural phenotype...
- Biochemical analysis of murine Wnt proteins reveals both shared and distinct propertiesL W Burrus
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138, USA
Exp Cell Res 220:363-73. 1995..Whereas addition of suramin to COS cell cultures significantly increases the levels of all six Wnts in the medium, the addition of heparin only influences the levels of Wnt-1, Wnt-6, and Wnt-7b...
- Molecular genetic studies of Wnt signaling in the mouseM Uusitalo
Faculties of Science and Medicine, University of Oulu, Oulu, 90570, Finland
Exp Cell Res 253:336-48. 1999
- The evolutionarily conserved porcupine gene family is involved in the processing of the Wnt familyK Tanaka
Graduate Program for Regulation of Biological Signals, Graduate School of Bioagricultural Sciences, Nagoya University, Japan
Eur J Biochem 267:4300-11. 2000..These results demonstrate that the porc gene family encodes the multitransmembrane ER proteins, which are evolutionarily well conserved and involved in processing the Wnt family...
- Identification of a novel putative signaling center, the tertiary enamel knot in the postnatal mouse molar toothKeijo Luukko
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, University of Bergen, Arstadveien 19, N 5009, Bergen, Norway
Mech Dev 120:270-6. 2003..Moreover, our results suggest that Slit1 signaling may be involved in the regulation of molar tooth shape by regulating epithelial cell proliferation and formation of EFA of the crown...
- Mouse strain-specific patterns of mammary epithelial ductal side branching are elicited by stromal factorsMatthew J Naylor
Cancer Research Program, Garvan Institute of Medical Research, Darlinghurst, NSW, Australia
Dev Dyn 225:100-5. 2002..Regardless of underlying mechanism, transplantation without regard to the genetic background of the stromal donor, whether inbred or mixed, will compromise experiments with side branching and associated gene expression endpoints...
- WNT signals are required for the initiation of hair follicle developmentThomas Andl
Department of Dermatology, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Dev Cell 2:643-53. 2002..This phenotype indicates that activation of WNT signaling in the skin precedes, and is required for, localized expression of regulatory genes and initiation of hair follicle placode formation...
- Regulation of hair follicle development by the TNF signal ectodysplasin and its receptor EdarJohanna Laurikkala
Institute of Biotechnology, Viikki Biocenter, 00014 University of Helsinki, Finland
Development 129:2541-53. 2002..In conclusion, we suggest that Eda and Edar are associated with the onset of ectodermal patterning and that ectodysplasin/edar signaling also regulates the morphogenesis of hair follicles...
- Wnt-6 is expressed in the ureter bud and induces kidney tubule development in vitroPetri Itäranta
Biocenter Oulu, Department of Biochemistry, University of Oulu, Linnanmaa 90570 Oulu, Finland
Genesis 32:259-68. 2002..Wnt-6 also induces a secondary axis in early Xenopus embryos. We conclude that Wnt-6 is a candidate for the ureter epithelium-derived signal that leads to activation of kidney tubulogenesis via Wnt-4...
- Wnt7b regulates placental development in miceB A Parr
MCD Biology, University of Colorado, 347 UCB, Boulder, Colorado 80309 0347, USA
Dev Biol 237:324-32. 2001..Wnt7b also is required for normal organization of cells in the chorionic plate. Thus, Wnt7b signaling is central to the early stages of placental development in mammals...
- Characterization of Wnt gene expression in developing and postnatal hair follicles and identification of Wnt5a as a target of Sonic hedgehog in hair follicle morphogenesisS Reddy
Departments of Dermatology and Cell and Developmental Biology, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Mech Dev 107:69-82. 2001..These results identify candidates for several key follicular signals and suggest that WNT and SHH signaling pathways interact to regulate hair follicle morphogenesis...
- Epaxial-adaxial-hypaxial regionalisation of the vertebrate somite: evidence for a somitic organiser and a mirror-image duplicationR Spörle
Institute of Mammalian Genetics, GSF Research Center for Environment and Health, Ingolstadter Landstrasse 1, 85764 Neuherberg, Germany
Dev Genes Evol 211:198-217. 2001....
- Expression patterns of Wnt genes in mouse gut developmentH Lickert
Department of Molecular Embryology, Max Planck Institute of Immunobiology, Stubeweg 51, D 79108, Freiburg, Germany
Mech Dev 105:181-4. 2001..Wnt5b and Wnt6 exhibit restricted expression in the epithelium of the esophagus...
- Differential regulation of the Wnt gene family during pregnancy and lactation suggests a role in postnatal development of the mammary glandB J Gavin
Department of Cell and Developmental Biology, Roche Institute of Molecular Biology, Roche Research Center, Nutley, New Jersey 07110
Mol Cell Biol 12:2418-23. 1992..We propose that Wnt-mediated signalling is involved in normal regulation of mammary development and that inappropriate expression of Wnt-1, Wnt-3, and possibly other family members can interfere with these signalling pathways...
- Activation of the Wnt-beta catenin pathway in a cell population on the surface of the forebrain is essential for the establishment of olfactory axon connectionsAmbra A Zaghetto
Dulbecco Telethon Institute Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche Institute for Biomedical Technologies Milano, 20090 Segrate, Italy
J Neurosci 27:9757-68. 2007..These data reveal a novel function for Wnt signaling in the establishment of periphery-CNS olfactory connections and highlight a complex interplay between cells of different embryonic origin for ORN axon connectivity...