Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Vcan
Alias: 5430420N07Rik, 9430051N09, Cspg2, DPEAAE, NG2, PG-M, PG-M(V0), PG-M(V1), hdf, versican core protein, PG-M core protein, chondroitin sulfate proteoglycan core protein 2, large fibroblast proteoglycan
- Dutt S, Kléber M, Matasci M, Sommer L, Zimmermann D. Versican V0 and V1 guide migratory neural crest cells. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:12123-31 pubmed
- Camenisch T, Spicer A, Brehm Gibson T, Biesterfeldt J, Augustine M, Calabro A, et al. Disruption of hyaluronan synthase-2 abrogates normal cardiac morphogenesis and hyaluronan-mediated transformation of epithelium to mesenchyme. J Clin Invest. 2000;106:349-60 pubmed..They also reveal a previously unrecognized pathway for cell migration and invasion that is HA-dependent and involves Ras activation. ..
- Yamaguchi Y. Lecticans: organizers of the brain extracellular matrix. Cell Mol Life Sci. 2000;57:276-89 pubmed..We propose that the hyaluronan-lectican-tenascin-R complex constitutes the core assembly of the adult brain extracellular matrix, which is found mainly in pericellular spaces of neurons as 'perineuronal nets'. ..
- Aspberg A, Adam S, Kostka G, Timpl R, Heinegard D. Fibulin-1 is a ligand for the C-type lectin domains of aggrecan and versican. J Biol Chem. 1999;274:20444-9 pubmed..No difference in affinity was found for deglycosylated fibulin-1, indicating that the proteoglycan C-type lectin domains bind to the protein part of fibulin-1. ..
- LaPierre D, Lee D, Li S, Xie Y, Zhong L, Sheng W, et al. The ability of versican to simultaneously cause apoptotic resistance and sensitivity. Cancer Res. 2007;67:4742-50 pubmed..This study further supports the importance of versican in cancer cell biology and the complexity of apoptosis regulation. ..
- Kern C, Wessels A, McGarity J, Dixon L, Alston E, Argraves W, et al. Reduced versican cleavage due to Adamts9 haploinsufficiency is associated with cardiac and aortic anomalies. Matrix Biol. 2010;29:304-16 pubmed publisher..In addition, these studies identify ADAMTS9 as a potential candidate gene for congenital cardiac anomalies. Mouse models of ADAMTS9 deficiency may be useful to study myxomatous valve degeneration. ..
- Dupuis L, McCulloch D, McGarity J, Bahan A, Wessels A, Weber D, et al. Altered versican cleavage in ADAMTS5 deficient mice; a novel etiology of myxomatous valve disease. Dev Biol. 2011;357:152-64 pubmed publisher..In vivo reduction of versican, in Adamts5(-/-) mice, achieved through Vcan heterozygosity, substantially rescued the valve anomalies...
- Zako M, Shinomura T, Ujita M, Ito K, Kimata K. Expression of PG-M(V3), an alternatively spliced form of PG-M without a chondroitin sulfate attachment in region in mouse and human tissues. J Biol Chem. 1995;270:3914-8 pubmed..Because PG-M(V3) has no chondroitin sulfate attachment region, which is the most distinctive portion of a proteoglycan molecule, this form may have a unique function. ..
- Wirrig E, Snarr B, Chintalapudi M, O Neal J, Phelps A, Barth J, et al. Cartilage link protein 1 (Crtl1), an extracellular matrix component playing an important role in heart development. Dev Biol. 2007;310:291-303 pubmed..Subsequent analysis of the hdf mouse, which carries an insertional mutation in the versican gene (CSPG2), demonstrated that haploinsufficient versican mice display septal defects resembling those seen in Crtl1(-/-) ..
- Shinomura T, Zako M, Ito K, Ujita M, Kimata K. The gene structure and organization of mouse PG-M, a large chondroitin sulfate proteoglycan. Genomic background for the generation of multiple PG-M transcripts. J Biol Chem. 1995;270:10328-33 pubmed..Northern hybridization analysis showed that at least three different transcripts were generated by different usage of the distinct polyadenylation signals. ..
- Kern C, Norris R, Thompson R, Argraves W, Fairey S, Reyes L, et al. Versican proteolysis mediates myocardial regression during outflow tract development. Dev Dyn. 2007;236:671-83 pubmed..Taken together, we conclude that intact versican and G1-containing versican cleavage products have opposing effects on myocardial cells and that versican proteolysis may facilitate the loss of distal myocardium during OFT remodeling. ..
- Kern C, Twal W, Mjaatvedt C, Fairey S, Toole B, Iruela Arispe M, et al. Proteolytic cleavage of versican during cardiac cushion morphogenesis. Dev Dyn. 2006;235:2238-47 pubmed..Using antibodies to the DPEAAE neoepitope created by ADAMTS proteolysis of versican, we detected the amino terminal 70-kDa versican cleavage ..
- Ito K, Shinomura T, Zako M, Ujita M, Kimata K. Multiple forms of mouse PG-M, a large chondroitin sulfate proteoglycan generated by alternative splicing. J Biol Chem. 1995;270:958-65 pubmed
- Belachew S, Chittajallu R, Aguirre A, Yuan X, Kirby M, Anderson S, et al. Postnatal NG2 proteoglycan-expressing progenitor cells are intrinsically multipotent and generate functional neurons. J Cell Biol. 2003;161:169-86 pubmed..Using a transgenic mouse, we show that NG2 proteoglycan-positive progenitor cells that express the 2',3'-cyclic nucleotide 3'-phosphodiesterase gene display a ..
- San Martin S, Soto Suazo M, Zorn T. Distribution of versican and hyaluronan in the mouse uterus during decidualization. Braz J Med Biol Res. 2003;36:1067-71 pubmed..The differences observed in the expression of HA and versican suggest that both molecules may participate in the process of endometrial decidualization and/or embryo implantation. ..
- Dours Zimmermann M, Maurer K, Rauch U, Stoffel W, Fassler R, Zimmermann D. Versican V2 assembles the extracellular matrix surrounding the nodes of ranvier in the CNS. J Neurosci. 2009;29:7731-42 pubmed publisher..The conjoint loss of tenascin-R and phosphacan from the perinodal matrix provide strong evidence that versican V2, possibly controlled by a nodal receptor, organizes the extracellular matrix assembly in vivo. ..
- Ruscheinsky M, de la Motte C, Mahendroo M. Hyaluronan and its binding proteins during cervical ripening and parturition: dynamic changes in size, distribution and temporal sequence. Matrix Biol. 2008;27:487-97 pubmed publisher..These studies suggest that HA has multiple, cell specific functions in the cervix that may include modulation of tissue structure and integrity, epithelial cell migration and differentiation, and inflammatory responses. ..
- Rezajooi K, Pavlides M, Winterbottom J, Stallcup W, Hamlyn P, Lieberman A, et al. NG2 proteoglycan expression in the peripheral nervous system: upregulation following injury and comparison with CNS lesions. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2004;25:572-84 pubmedThe chondroitin sulphate proteoglycan NG2 blocks neurite outgrowth in vitro and thus may be able to inhibit axonal regeneration in the CNS...
- Rice D, Sheldon M, D ARCANGELO G, Nakajima K, Goldowitz D, Curran T. Disabled-1 acts downstream of Reelin in a signaling pathway that controls laminar organization in the mammalian brain. Development. 1998;125:3719-29 pubmed..This suggests that Dab1 accumulates in the absence of a Reln-evoked signal. Taken together, these results indicate that Dab1 functions downstream of Reln in a signaling pathway that controls cell positioning in the developing brain. ..
- Iozzo R, Naso M, Cannizzaro L, Wasmuth J, McPherson J. Mapping of the versican proteoglycan gene (CSPG2) to the long arm of human chromosome 5 (5q12-5q14). Genomics. 1992;14:845-51 pubmed..In this report we have localized the versican gene (CSPG2) to the long arm of human chromosome 5 by utilizing a combination of somatic cell hybrids, Southern blotting, ..
- Wilson C, Gough P, Chang C, Chan C, Frey J, Liu Y, et al. Endothelial deletion of ADAM17 in mice results in defective remodeling of the semilunar valves and cardiac dysfunction in adults. Mech Dev. 2013;130:272-89 pubmed publisher..Together, our data indicate that ADAM17 is required in valvular endothelial cells for regulating cell content as well as extracellular matrix composition and organization in semilunar valve remodeling and homeostasis. ..
- Fu Y, Nagy J, Brown L, Shih S, Johnson P, Chan C, et al. Proteolytic cleavage of versican and involvement of ADAMTS-1 in VEGF-A/VPF-induced pathological angiogenesis. J Histochem Cytochem. 2011;59:463-73 pubmed publisher..of venules, is degraded early in the course of MV formation, resulting in the appearance of a versican N-terminal DPEAAE fragment associated with MV endothelial cells...
- Soto Suazo M, San Martin S, Ferro E, Zorn T. Differential expression of glycosaminoglycans and proteoglycans in the migratory pathway of the primordial germ cells of the mouse. Histochem Cell Biol. 2002;118:69-78 pubmed
- Shibata S, Fukada K, Imai H, Abe T, Yamashita Y. In situ hybridization and immunohistochemistry of versican, aggrecan and link protein, and histochemistry of hyaluronan in the developing mouse limb bud cartilage. J Anat. 2003;203:425-32 pubmed..In particular, only a link protein-positive region was present in the marginal area of the metaphysis and the epiphysis at this stage. This finding may indicate a novel role for link protein. ..
- Lo A, Longmuir D, Fowler K, Kalitsis P, Choo K. Assignment of the centromere protein H (Cenph) gene to mouse chromosome band 13D1 by in situ hybridization and interspecific backcross analyses. Cytogenet Cell Genet. 2000;90:56-7 pubmed
- Wang X, Hu G, Zhou J. Repression of versican expression by microRNA-143. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:23241-50 pubmed publisher..This study provides the first evidence that myocardin, in addition to activating smooth muscle-specific genes, regulates ECM expression through induction of microRNAs during smooth muscle differentiation. ..
- Suwan K, Choocheep K, Hatano S, Kongtawelert P, Kimata K, Watanabe H. Versican/PG-M Assembles Hyaluronan into Extracellular Matrix and Inhibits CD44-mediated Signaling toward Premature Senescence in Embryonic Fibroblasts. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:8596-604 pubmed publisher..Recently, we generated knock-in mice Cspg2(Delta3/Delta3), whose versican, without the A subdomain, has decreased hyaluronan (HA) binding affinity, thereby ..
- Hu F, a Dzaye O, Hahn A, Yu Y, Scavetta R, Dittmar G, et al. Glioma-derived versican promotes tumor expansion via glioma-associated microglial/macrophages Toll-like receptor 2 signaling. Neuro Oncol. 2015;17:200-10 pubmed publisher..This signaling cascade might be a novel target for glioma therapies. ..
- Cai X, Zhang W, Hu J, Zhang L, Sultana N, Wu B, et al. Tbx20 acts upstream of Wnt signaling to regulate endocardial cushion formation and valve remodeling during mouse cardiogenesis. Development. 2013;140:3176-87 pubmed publisher..Our study suggests a model in which Tbx20 regulates the Wnt pathway to direct endocardial cushion maturation and valve elongation, and provides new insights into the etiology of valve defects in humans. ..
- Chang K, Susuki K, Dours Zimmermann M, Zimmermann D, Rasband M. Oligodendrocyte myelin glycoprotein does not influence node of ranvier structure or assembly. J Neurosci. 2010;30:14476-81 pubmed publisher..Together, our results strongly argue against the nodal localization of OMgp and its proposed functions at nodes, and reveal OMgp's authentic localization relative to nodes and myelin...
- Coram R, Stillwagon S, Guggilam A, Jenkins M, Swanson M, Ladd A. Muscleblind-like 1 is required for normal heart valve development in vivo. BMC Dev Biol. 2015;15:36 pubmed publisher..Together, these data indicate that MBNL1 plays a conserved role in negatively regulating TGFÎ² signaling, and is required for normal valve morphogenesis and homeostasis in vivo. ..
- Enomoto H, Nelson C, Somerville R, Mielke K, Dixon L, Powell K, et al. Cooperation of two ADAMTS metalloproteases in closure of the mouse palate identifies a requirement for versican proteolysis in regulating palatal mesenchyme proliferation. Development. 2010;137:4029-38 pubmed publisher..palatal shelves had reduced cell proliferation, a lower cell density and decreased processing of versican (VCAN), an extracellular matrix (ECM) proteoglycan and ADAMTS9/20 substrate, from E13.5 to E14.5...
- Kang I, Harten I, Chang M, Braun K, Sheih A, Nivison M, et al. Versican Deficiency Significantly Reduces Lung Inflammatory Response Induced by Polyinosine-Polycytidylic Acid Stimulation. J Biol Chem. 2017;292:51-63 pubmed publisher..responses in poly(I:C)-induced lung inflammation using a tamoxifen-inducible versican-deficient mouse model (Vcan-/- mice)...
- Naso M, Morgan J, Buchberg A, Siracusa L, Iozzo R. Expression pattern and mapping of the murine versican gene (Cspg2) to chromosome 13. Genomics. 1995;29:297-300 pubmed..Using interspecific backcross analysis, we assigned the versican gene (Cspg2) to mouse chromosome 13, in a region that is syntenic with the long arm of human chromosome 5 where the human ..
- Grako K, Ochiya T, Barritt D, Nishiyama A, Stallcup W. PDGF (alpha)-receptor is unresponsive to PDGF-AA in aortic smooth muscle cells from the NG2 knockout mouse. J Cell Sci. 1999;112 ( Pt 6):905-15 pubmedA line of null mice has been produced which fails to express the transmembrane chondroitin sulfate proteoglycan NG2. Homozygous NG2 null mice do not exhibit gross phenotypic differences from wild-type mice, suggesting that detailed ..
- Hossain Ibrahim M, Rezajooi K, Stallcup W, Lieberman A, Anderson P. Analysis of axonal regeneration in the central and peripheral nervous systems of the NG2-deficient mouse. BMC Neurosci. 2007;8:80 pubmedThe chondroitin sulphate proteoglycan NG2 blocks neurite outgrowth in vitro and has been proposed as a major inhibitor of axonal regeneration in the CNS...
- Susuki K, Chang K, Zollinger D, Liu Y, Ogawa Y, Eshed Eisenbach Y, et al. Three mechanisms assemble central nervous system nodes of Ranvier. Neuron. 2013;78:469-82 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate that ECM, paranodal, and axonal cytoskeletal mechanisms ensure robust CNS nodal Na? channel clustering. ..
- Dromard C, Bartolami S, Deleyrolle L, Takebayashi H, Ripoll C, Simonneau L, et al. NG2 and Olig2 expression provides evidence for phenotypic deregulation of cultured central nervous system and peripheral nervous system neural precursor cells. Stem Cells. 2007;25:340-53 pubmed..2), and markers that in vivo are typical of the oligodendrocyte lineage (NG2, A2B5, PDGFR-alpha)...
- Terada N, Ohno N, Murata S, Katoh R, Stallcup W, Ohno S. Immunohistochemical study of NG2 chondroitin sulfate proteoglycan expression in the small and large intestines. Histochem Cell Biol. 2006;126:483-90 pubmed..In this study, we report that the membrane-bound proteoglycan NG2 is abundantly distributed in the ISEMF layer of the mouse and human intestines...
- McMahon M, Ye S, Izzard L, Dlugolenski D, Tripp R, Bean A, et al. ADAMTS5 Is a Critical Regulator of Virus-Specific T Cell Immunity. PLoS Biol. 2016;14:e1002580 pubmed publisher..Our research emphasises the importance of ADAMTS5 expression in the control of influenza virus infection and highlights the potential for development of ADAMTS5-based therapeutic strategies to reduce morbidity and mortality. ..
- Carthy J, Abraham T, Meredith A, Boroomand S, McManus B. Versican localizes to the nucleus in proliferating mesenchymal cells. Cardiovasc Pathol. 2015;24:368-74 pubmed publisher..These observations open a new avenue for studies of versican, suggesting even more diverse roles in vascular health and disease. ..
- Togi K, Yoshida Y, Matsumae H, Nakashima Y, Kita T, Tanaka M. Essential role of Hand2 in interventricular septum formation and trabeculation during cardiac development. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2006;343:144-51 pubmed..These results suggested that the absence of Hand2 expression in the interventricular boundary region inhibits expansion and trabeculation in this area, contributing to the proper formation of the IVS. ..
- Capehart A. Proteolytic cleavage of versican during limb joint development. Anat Rec (Hoboken). 2010;293:208-14 pubmed publisher..Using an antibody to the DPEAAE neoepitope generated by ADAMTS proteolysis, versican amino terminal cleavage fragments were detected in joint ..
- Kishimoto J, Ehama R, Wu L, Jiang S, Jiang N, Burgeson R. Selective activation of the versican promoter by epithelial- mesenchymal interactions during hair follicle development. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1999;96:7336-41 pubmed..These results suggest that versican may play an essential role both in mesenchymal condensation and in hair induction. ..
- Briggs L, Phelps A, Brown E, Kakarla J, Anderson R, van den Hoff M, et al. Expression of the BMP receptor Alk3 in the second heart field is essential for development of the dorsal mesenchymal protrusion and atrioventricular septation. Circ Res. 2013;112:1420-32 pubmed publisher..Perturbation of Alk3-mediated BMP signaling from the SHF results in impaired development of the DMP and ostium primum defects. ..
- Ito Y, Hamazaki T, Ohnuma K, Tamaki K, Asashima M, Okochi H. Isolation of murine hair-inducing cells using the cell surface marker prominin-1/CD133. J Invest Dermatol. 2007;127:1052-60 pubmed..We propose that the CD133 is a novel surface marker useful for collecting DP cells in the anagen stage and for analyzing the function of DP. ..
- Seidelmann S, Kuo C, Pleskac N, Molina J, Sayers S, Li R, et al. Athsq1 is an atherosclerosis modifier locus with dramatic effects on lesion area and prominent accumulation of versican. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2008;28:2180-6 pubmed publisher..These studies confirm the proatherogenic activity of a novel gene(s) in the MOLF-derived Athsq1 locus and provide in vivo evidence for a causative role of versican in lesion development. ..
- Saxon J, Baer D, Barton J, Hawkins T, Wu B, Trusk T, et al. BMP2 expression in the endocardial lineage is required for AV endocardial cushion maturation and remodeling. Dev Biol. 2017;430:113-128 pubmed publisher..These data provide evidence that BMP2 expression in the endocardial lineage is essential for the distal outgrowth, maturation and remodeling of AV endocardial cushions into the normal membranous VS and the stratified AV valves. ..
- Kruithof B, Kruithof de Julio M, Poelmann R, Gittenberger de Groot A, Gaussin V, Goumans M. Remodeling of the myocardium in early trabeculation and cardiac valve formation; a role for TGF?2. Int J Dev Biol. 2013;57:853-63 pubmed publisher..Based on these results we propose a new model clarifying early trabeculae formation and AV valve formation and provide new inroads for an enhanced understanding of congenital heart defects. ..
- Boogerd C, Aneas I, Sakabe N, Dirschinger R, Cheng Q, Zhou B, et al. Probing chromatin landscape reveals roles of endocardial TBX20 in septation. J Clin Invest. 2016;126:3023-35 pubmed publisher..and chromatin loop maps to determine that TBX20 binds a conserved long-range enhancer to regulate versican (Vcan) expression...
- Du W, Yang B, Yang B, Deng Z, Fang L, Shan S, et al. Versican G3 domain modulates breast cancer cell apoptosis: a mechanism for breast cancer cell response to chemotherapy and EGFR therapy. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e26396 pubmed publisher..GSK-3? (S9P) appears to function as a key checkpoint in this balance of apoptosis and anti-apoptosis. Investigation and potential consideration of targeting GSK-3? (S9P) merits further study. ..
- Aguirre A, Chittajallu R, Belachew S, Gallo V. NG2-expressing cells in the subventricular zone are type C-like cells and contribute to interneuron generation in the postnatal hippocampus. J Cell Biol. 2004;165:575-89 pubmed..We demonstrate that early postnatal NG2-expressing (NG2+) progenitor cells located in the SVZ self-renew in vitro and display phenotypic features of ..
- Snider P, Hinton R, Moreno Rodriguez R, Wang J, Rogers R, Lindsley A, et al. Periostin is required for maturation and extracellular matrix stabilization of noncardiomyocyte lineages of the heart. Circ Res. 2008;102:752-60 pubmed publisher..Thus, peri(lacZ) knockouts provide a new model of viable latent valve disease. ..
- Vaziri Sani F, Kaartinen V, El Shahawy M, Linde A, Gritli Linde A. Developmental changes in cellular and extracellular structural macromolecules in the secondary palate and in the nasal cavity of the mouse. Eur J Oral Sci. 2010;118:221-36 pubmed publisher..The hitherto-unknown innervation pattern of the developing palate was revealed. These findings may be of value for unravelling the pathogenesis of palatal clefting. ..
- Boerboom D, Lafond J, Zheng X, Lapointe E, Mittaz L, Boyer A, et al. Partially redundant functions of Adamts1 and Adamts4 in the perinatal development of the renal medulla. Dev Dyn. 2011;240:1806-14 pubmed publisher..This study is thus the first to report Adamts4 expression and function in the mammalian kidney, and to demonstrate that Adamts1 and Adamts4 play redundant and essential roles in perinatal kidney development. ..
- Hofmann J, Briot A, Enciso J, Zovein A, Ren S, Zhang Z, et al. Endothelial deletion of murine Jag1 leads to valve calcification and congenital heart defects associated with Alagille syndrome. Development. 2012;139:4449-60 pubmed publisher..This work shows that the endothelium is responsible for the wide spectrum of cardiac phenotypes displayed in Alagille Syndrome and it demonstrates a crucial role for Jag1 in valve morphogenesis...
- Berk M, Desai S, Heyman H, Colmenares C. Mice lacking the ski proto-oncogene have defects in neurulation, craniofacial, patterning, and skeletal muscle development. Genes Dev. 1997;11:2029-39 pubmed..These results are consistent with a model in which ski activities are required for the successful expansion of a subset of precursors in the neuroepithelial or skeletal muscle lineages. ..
- Kaplan F, Comber J, Sladek R, Hudson T, Muglia L, Macrae T, et al. The growth factor midkine is modulated by both glucocorticoid and retinoid in fetal lung development. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. 2003;28:33-41 pubmed..Our findings demonstrate the coincident modulation of expression of MK at the same developmental time point by both GC and RA, providing a potential mechanism for the integration of GC and RA effects on fetal lung development. ..
- Jaffe M, Sesti C, Washington I, Du L, Dronadula N, Chin M, et al. Transforming growth factor-? signaling in myogenic cells regulates vascular morphogenesis, differentiation, and matrix synthesis. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2012;32:e1-11 pubmed publisher..TGF-? signaling in SMCs controls differentiation, matrix synthesis, and vascular morphogenesis. Effects of TGF-? on SMC gene expression appear to differ depending on the location of SMCs in the aorta. ..
- McCulloch D, Nelson C, Dixon L, Silver D, Wylie J, Lindner V, et al. ADAMTS metalloproteases generate active versican fragments that regulate interdigital web regression. Dev Cell. 2009;17:687-98 pubmed publisher..BMP4 induced apoptosis, but without concomitant versican proteolysis. Haploinsufficiency of either Vcan or Fbln1, a cofactor for versican processing by ADAMTS5, led to highly penetrant syndactyly in bt mice, suggesting ..
- Rutter M, Wang J, Huang Z, Kuliszewski M, Post M. Gli2 influences proliferation in the developing lung through regulation of cyclin expression. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. 2010;42:615-25 pubmed publisher..However, no change in the levels of cyclins D1, D2, or E1 due to altered Gli3 was observed. These findings suggest that Gli2 and not Gli3 is the primary mediator of Shh signaling influencing fetal lung growth through cyclin regulation. ..
- Meersseman G, Verschueren K, Nelles L, Blumenstock C, Kraft H, Wuytens G, et al. The C-terminal domain of Mad-like signal transducers is sufficient for biological activity in the Xenopus embryo and transcriptional activation. Mech Dev. 1997;61:127-40 pubmed..We also mapped the MusMLP gene to a region on mouse chromosome 13 that corresponds to a region on human chromosome 5q that contains cancer-related genes. ..
- Matsumoto K, Kamiya N, Suwan K, Atsumi F, Shimizu K, Shinomura T, et al. Identification and characterization of versican/PG-M aggregates in cartilage. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:18257-63 pubmed..These results suggest that versican is present as an aggregate distinct from the aggrecan aggregate and may play specific roles in the articular surface. ..
- Ozbilgin M, Aktas C, Uluer E, Buyukuysal M, Gareveran M, Kurtman C. Influence of Radiation Exposure During Radiotherapy. Evidence for the Increase of Versican and Heparin-Binding EGF-like Growth Factor Concentrations. Anal Quant Cytopathol Histpathol. 2016;38:126-32 pubmed..The observed increase of versican and HB-EGF concentrations in the normal tissue matrix after radiation exposure may play a role in the side effects of radiotherapy. ..
- Chang M, Kang I, Gale M, MANICONE A, Kinsella M, Braun K, et al. Versican is produced by Trif- and type I interferon-dependent signaling in macrophages and contributes to fine control of innate immunity in lungs. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2017;313:L1069-L1086 pubmed publisher..The importance of macrophage-derived versican in lungs was determined with LysM/Vcan-/- mice...
- Carthy J, Meredith A, Boroomand S, Abraham T, Luo Z, Knight D, et al. Versican V1 Overexpression Induces a Myofibroblast-Like Phenotype in Cultured Fibroblasts. PLoS ONE. 2015;10:e0133056 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these data indicate versican expression induces a myofibroblast-like phenotype in cultured fibroblasts. ..
- Baalman K, Marin M, Ho T, Godoy M, Cherian L, Robertson C, et al. Axon initial segment-associated microglia. J Neurosci. 2015;35:2283-92 pubmed publisher..These results reveal a unique population of microglia that specifically interact with the AIS in the adult cortex. ..
- Snow H, Riccio L, Mjaatvedt C, Hoffman S, Capehart A. Versican expression during skeletal/joint morphogenesis and patterning of muscle and nerve in the embryonic mouse limb. Anat Rec A Discov Mol Cell Evol Biol. 2005;282:95-105 pubmed..The transgenic mouse line hdf (heart defect), which bears a lacZ reporter construct disrupting Cspg2 encoding versican, allowed ready detection of hdf transgene expression through histochemical analysis...
- Fukushi J, Inatani M, Yamaguchi Y, Stallcup W. Expression of NG2 proteoglycan during endochondral and intramembranous ossification. Dev Dyn. 2003;228:143-8 pubmedWe have used immunohistochemistry to study the distribution of the NG2 proteoglycan during bone development in the mouse. At embryonic day 15.5, NG2 was strongly detected in the immature cartilage of developing limbs...
- Dupuis L, Osinska H, WEINSTEIN M, Hinton R, Kern C. Insufficient versican cleavage and Smad2 phosphorylation results in bicuspid aortic and pulmonary valves. J Mol Cell Cardiol. 2013;60:50-9 pubmed publisher..Further studies using the Adamts5(-/-); Smad2(+/-) mice with highly penetrant and isolated BAV, may lead to new pharmacological treatments for valve disease. ..
- Tsau C, Ito M, Gromova A, Hoffman M, Meech R, Makarenkova H. Barx2 and Fgf10 regulate ocular glands branching morphogenesis by controlling extracellular matrix remodeling. Development. 2011;138:3307-17 pubmed publisher..Based on our data, we propose a functional network involving Barx2, Fgf10 and MMPs that plays an essential role in regulating branching morphogenesis of the ocular glands. ..
- Toomer K, Fulmer D, Guo L, Drohan A, Peterson N, Swanson P, et al. A role for primary cilia in aortic valve development and disease. Dev Dyn. 2017;246:625-634 pubmed publisher..Developmental Dynamics 246:625-634, 2017. © 2017 Wiley Periodicals, Inc. ..