Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Vax1
Description: ventral anterior homeobox 1
Alias: ventral anterior homeobox 1, ventral anterior homeobox containing gene 1
- Hoffmann H, Trang C, Gong P, Kimura I, Pandolfi E, Mellon P. Deletion of Vax1 from Gonadotropin-Releasing Hormone (GnRH) Neurons Abolishes GnRH Expression and Leads to Hypogonadism and Infertility. J Neurosci. 2016;36:3506-18 pubmed publisher..Herein we demonstrate a critical role for the homeodomain transcription factor ventral anterior homeobox 1 (VAX1) in GnRH neuron maturation and show that Vax1 deletion from GnRH neurons leads to complete ..
- Kim N, Min K, Kang K, Lee E, Kim H, Moon K, et al. Regulation of retinal axon growth by secreted Vax1 homeodomain protein. elife. 2014;3:e02671 pubmed publisher..b>Ventral anterior homeobox 1 (Vax1) plays an essential role in the development of the OC by regulating RGC axon growth in a non-cell ..
- Fotaki V, Price D, Mason J. Wnt/?-catenin signaling is disrupted in the extra-toes (Gli3(Xt/Xt) ) mutant from early stages of forebrain development, concomitant with anterior neural plate patterning defects. J Comp Neurol. 2011;519:1640-57 pubmed publisher..Our data reveal that Gli3 is required at the neural plate stage to regulate Wnt expression and Wnt/?-catenin signaling in the presumptive forebrain and confirm its previously proposed role in patterning the anterior neural plate. ..
- Wataya T, Ando S, Muguruma K, Ikeda H, Watanabe K, Eiraku M, et al. Minimization of exogenous signals in ES cell culture induces rostral hypothalamic differentiation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:11796-801 pubmed publisher..early differentiation steps induces efficient generation of rostral hypothalamic-like progenitors (Rax(+)/Six3(+)/Vax1(+)) in mouse ES cell-derived neuroectodermal cells...
- Morcillo J, Martinez Morales J, Trousse F, Fermin Y, Sowden J, Bovolenta P. Proper patterning of the optic fissure requires the sequential activity of BMP7 and SHH. Development. 2006;133:3179-90 pubmed..can be recognised by the expression of netrin 1 and the overlapping distribution of both optic stalk (Pax2, Vax1) and ventral neural retina markers (Vax2, Raldh3)...
- Camus A, Perea Gomez A, Moreau A, Collignon J. Absence of Nodal signaling promotes precocious neural differentiation in the mouse embryo. Dev Biol. 2006;295:743-55 pubmed
- Ohsaki K, Morimitsu T, Ishida Y, Kominami R, Takahashi N. Expression of the Vax family homeobox genes suggests multiple roles in eye development. Genes Cells. 1999;4:267-76 pubmed..Several genes play roles in eye development. We isolated two new mouse homeobox genes, Vax1 and Vax2, expressed in retina primordium...
- Anderson R, Lawrence A, Stottmann R, Bachiller D, Klingensmith J. Chordin and noggin promote organizing centers of forebrain development in the mouse. Development. 2002;129:4975-87 pubmed..These results indicate that the BMP antagonists chordin and noggin promote the inductive and trophic activities of rostral organizing centers in early development of the mammalian head...
- Furimsky M, Wallace V. Complementary Gli activity mediates early patterning of the mouse visual system. Dev Dyn. 2006;235:594-605 pubmed..Gli3, in particular, is required to specify the dorsal optic stalk and to define the boundary between the optic stalk and the optic cup. ..
- Jean D, Bernier G, Gruss P. Six6 (Optx2) is a novel murine Six3-related homeobox gene that demarcates the presumptive pituitary/hypothalamic axis and the ventral optic stalk. Mech Dev. 1999;84:31-40 pubmed..We finally show that Six6 does not require Pax6 for its expression in the optic primordium, suggesting that Six6 acts on a parallel and/or independent pathway with Pax6 in the genetic cascade governing early development of the eye. ..
- Constam D, Robertson E. SPC4/PACE4 regulates a TGFbeta signaling network during axis formation. Genes Dev. 2000;14:1146-55 pubmed..These findings establish an important role for SPC4 in patterning the early mouse embryo. ..
- Hoffmann H, Tamrazian A, Xie H, Perez Millan M, Kauffman A, Mellon P. Heterozygous deletion of ventral anterior homeobox (vax1) causes subfertility in mice. Endocrinology. 2014;155:4043-53 pubmed publisher..Here we identify the homeodomain transcription factor ventral anterior homeobox1 (Vax1) as a potential genetic contributor to polygenic IHH...
- Baumer N, Marquardt T, Stoykova A, Ashery Padan R, Chowdhury K, Gruss P. Pax6 is required for establishing naso-temporal and dorsal characteristics of the optic vesicle. Development. 2002;129:4535-45 pubmed..We found that Pax6 activity is required for the establishment, as well as the maintenance of dorsal and nasotemporal characteristics in the optic vesicle and, later, the optic cup. ..
- Ou J, Bharti K, Nodari A, Bertuzzi S, Arnheiter H. Vax1/2 genes counteract Mitf-induced respecification of the retinal pigment epithelium. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e59247 pubmed publisher..about by persistent expression of the anti-retinogenic ventral homeodomain gene Vax2 in the dorso-proximal and both Vax1 and Vax2 in the ventral RPE...
- Dillman A, Hauser D, Gibbs J, Nalls M, McCoy M, Rudenko I, et al. mRNA expression, splicing and editing in the embryonic and adult mouse cerebral cortex. Nat Neurosci. 2013;16:499-506 pubmed publisher..We provide this data set and analysis as a resource for understanding gene expression in the embryonic and adult cerebral cortex. ..
- Zhao L, Saitsu H, Sun X, Shiota K, Ishibashi M. Sonic hedgehog is involved in formation of the ventral optic cup by limiting Bmp4 expression to the dorsal domain. Mech Dev. 2010;127:62-72 pubmed publisher..Shh signaling contributes to establishment of both proximal-distal and dorsal-ventral axes by activating Vax1, Vax2, and Pax2...
- Evans A, Gage P. Expression of the homeobox gene Pitx2 in neural crest is required for optic stalk and ocular anterior segment development. Hum Mol Genet. 2005;14:3347-59 pubmed..We propose a revised model of optic nerve development and new mechanisms that may underlie the etiology of glaucoma in Axenfeld-Rieger patients. ..
- Zhao L, Zevallos S, Rizzoti K, Jeong Y, Lovell Badge R, Epstein D. Disruption of SoxB1-dependent Sonic hedgehog expression in the hypothalamus causes septo-optic dysplasia. Dev Cell. 2012;22:585-96 pubmed publisher..These data indicate that reduced levels of Shh expression in the hypothalamus cause SOD. ..
- Taglialatela P, Soria J, Caironi V, Moiana A, Bertuzzi S. Compromised generation of GABAergic interneurons in the brains of Vax1-/- mice. Development. 2004;131:4239-49 pubmed..The transcription factor Vax1, an intracellular mediator of both Shh and Fgf signaling, is expressed at high levels in the medial and lateral ..
- Soria J, Taglialatela P, Gil Perotin S, Galli R, Gritti A, Verdugo J, et al. Defective postnatal neurogenesis and disorganization of the rostral migratory stream in absence of the Vax1 homeobox gene. J Neurosci. 2004;24:11171-81 pubmed..For this reason, we studied the ventral anterior homeobox (Vax1) gene in NSC proliferation and in SVZ organization...
- Stoykova A, Treichel D, Hallonet M, Gruss P. Pax6 modulates the dorsoventral patterning of the mammalian telencephalon. J Neurosci. 2000;20:8042-50 pubmed..Together the results demonstrate that Pax6 has an essential role for the modulation of the dorsoventral patterning of the embryonic telencephalon, influencing thereby the forebrain morphogenesis. ..
- Hoffmann H, Mellon P. A small population of hypothalamic neurons govern fertility: the critical role of VAX1 in GnRH neuron development and fertility maintenance. Neurosci Commun (Houst). 2016;2: pubmed..Using a combined in vitro and in vivo approach, we have identified Ventral Anterior Homeobox 1 (Vax1) as a novel homeodomain transcription factor responsible for GnRH neuron maturation and ..
- Colombo E, Collombat P, Colasante G, Bianchi M, Long J, Mansouri A, et al. Inactivation of Arx, the murine ortholog of the X-linked lissencephaly with ambiguous genitalia gene, leads to severe disorganization of the ventral telencephalon with impaired neuronal migration and differentiation. J Neurosci. 2007;27:4786-98 pubmed..Altogether, these results highlight the critical functions of Arx in promoting neural migration and regulating basal ganglia differentiation in mice, consistent with the phenotype of XLAG patients...