Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Uncx
Description: UNC homeobox
Alias: Chx4, Uncx4.1, homeobox protein unc-4 homolog, Unc4.1 homeobox, homeobox protein Uncx4.1
- Takahashi Y, Inoue T, Gossler A, Saga Y. Feedback loops comprising Dll1, Dll3 and Mesp2, and differential involvement of Psen1 are essential for rostrocaudal patterning of somites. Development. 2003;130:4259-68 pubmed..We conclude from our analyses that Mesp2 functions as a central mediator of such Notch pathways and regulates the gene expression required for rostrocaudal patterning of somites. ..
- Mansouri A, Yokota Y, Wehr R, Copeland N, Jenkins N, Gruss P. Paired-related murine homeobox gene expressed in the developing sclerotome, kidney, and nervous system. Dev Dyn. 1997;210:53-65 pubmed..The temporal and spatial expression pattern suggests that Uncx4.1 may play an important role in kidney development and in the differentiation of the sclerotome and the nervous system. ..
- Stauber M, Laclef C, Vezzaro A, Page M, Ish Horowicz D. Modifying transcript lengths of cycling mouse segmentation genes. Mech Dev. 2012;129:61-72 pubmed publisher..We discuss these results in terms of the relative contributions of transcriptional and post-transcriptional delays towards defining the pace of segmentation, and of alternative strategies for manipulating the period of the clock. ..
- Takahashi Y, Koizumi K, Takagi A, Kitajima S, Inoue T, Koseki H, et al. Mesp2 initiates somite segmentation through the Notch signalling pathway. Nat Genet. 2000;25:390-6 pubmed..Therefore, Mesp2- and Ps1-dependent activation of Notch-signalling pathways might differentially regulate Dll1 expression, resulting in the establishment of the rostro-caudal polarity of somites. ..
- Niwa Y, Masamizu Y, Liu T, Nakayama R, Deng C, Kageyama R. The initiation and propagation of Hes7 oscillation are cooperatively regulated by Fgf and notch signaling in the somite segmentation clock. Dev Cell. 2007;13:298-304 pubmed..We thus propose that Hes7 oscillation is initiated by Fgf signaling and propagated/maintained anteriorly by Notch signaling. ..
- Huppert S, Ilagan M, De Strooper B, Kopan R. Analysis of Notch function in presomitic mesoderm suggests a gamma-secretase-independent role for presenilins in somite differentiation. Dev Cell. 2005;8:677-88 pubmed..These data clarify multiple roles for Notch signaling during segmentation and suggest that the earliest stages of somitogenesis are regulated by both Notch-dependent and Notch-independent functions of presenilin. ..
- Aulehla A, Wehrle C, Brand Saberi B, Kemler R, Gossler A, Kanzler B, et al. Wnt3a plays a major role in the segmentation clock controlling somitogenesis. Dev Cell. 2003;4:395-406 pubmed..We propose that the segmentation clock is established by Wnt/beta-catenin signaling via a negative-feedback mechanism and that Wnt3a controls the segmentation process in vertebrates. ..
- Bussen M, Petry M, Schuster Gossler K, Leitges M, Gossler A, Kispert A. The T-box transcription factor Tbx18 maintains the separation of anterior and posterior somite compartments. Genes Dev. 2004;18:1209-21 pubmed..In summary, Tbx18 appears to act downstream of Mesp2 and Delta/Notch signaling to maintain the separation of anterior and posterior somite compartments. ..
- Galceran J, Sustmann C, Hsu S, Folberth S, Grosschedl R. LEF1-mediated regulation of Delta-like1 links Wnt and Notch signaling in somitogenesis. Genes Dev. 2004;18:2718-23 pubmed..Finally, the induced expression of LEF1-beta-catenin activates the expression of endogenous Dll1 in fibroblastic cells. Thus, Wnt signaling can affect the Notch pathway by a LEF1-mediated regulation of Dll1. ..
- Vermot J, Gallego Llamas J, Fraulob V, Niederreither K, Chambon P, Dolle P. Retinoic acid controls the bilateral symmetry of somite formation in the mouse embryo. Science. 2005;308:563-6 pubmed..These data implicate retinoic acid as an endogenous signal that maintains the bilateral synchrony of mesoderm segmentation, and therefore controls bilateral symmetry, in vertebrate embryos. ..
- Leitges M, Neidhardt L, Haenig B, Herrmann B, Kispert A. The paired homeobox gene Uncx4.1 specifies pedicles, transverse processes and proximal ribs of the vertebral column. Development. 2000;127:2259-67 pubmed..The mesenchymal anlagen for these elements are formed initially, but condensation and chondrogenesis do not occur. Hence, Uncx4.1 is required for the maintenance and differentiation of particular elements of the axial skeleton. ..
- Sirbu I, Duester G. Retinoic-acid signalling in node ectoderm and posterior neural plate directs left-right patterning of somitic mesoderm. Nat Cell Biol. 2006;8:271-7 pubmed
- Feller J, Schneider A, Schuster Gossler K, Gossler A. Noncyclic Notch activity in the presomitic mesoderm demonstrates uncoupling of somite compartmentalization and boundary formation. Genes Dev. 2008;22:2166-71 pubmed publisher..Thus, segmentation and anterior-posterior somite patterning can be uncoupled, differential Notch signaling is not required to form segment borders, and Notch is unlikely to be the pacemaker of the segmentation clock...
- Sewell W, Sparrow D, Smith A, Gonzalez D, Rappaport E, Dunwoodie S, et al. Cyclical expression of the Notch/Wnt regulator Nrarp requires modulation by Dll3 in somitogenesis. Dev Biol. 2009;329:400-9 pubmed publisher..Surprisingly, we only identified a small number of genes disrupted by the Dll3 mutation. These include Uncx, a somite gene required for rib and vertebral patterning, and Nrarp, a regulator of Notch/Wnt signaling in ..
- Zhang N, Gridley T. Defects in somite formation in lunatic fringe-deficient mice. Nature. 1998;394:374-7 pubmed..These results indicate that Lfng encodes an essential component of the Notch signalling pathway during somitogenesis in mice. ..
- Asbreuk C, van Doorninck J, Mansouri A, Smidt M, Burbach J. Neurohypophysial dysmorphogenesis in mice lacking the homeobox gene Uncx4.1. J Mol Endocrinol. 2006;36:65-71 pubmed..1 in controlling the development of connections of hypothalamic neurons to pituitary elements, allowing central neurons to reach the peripheral blood circulation and to deliver hormones for control of peripheral functions. ..
- Bessho Y, Hirata H, Masamizu Y, Kageyama R. Periodic repression by the bHLH factor Hes7 is an essential mechanism for the somite segmentation clock. Genes Dev. 2003;17:1451-6 pubmed..Thus, periodic repression by Hes7 protein is critical for the cyclic transcription of Hes7 and Lfng, and this negative feedback represents a molecular basis for the segmentation clock. ..
- Shi S, Stanley P. Protein O-fucosyltransferase 1 is an essential component of Notch signaling pathways. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2003;100:5234-9 pubmed..Protein O-fucosyltransferase 1 is therefore an essential core member of Notch signaling pathways in mammals. ..
- Serth K, Schuster Gossler K, Cordes R, Gossler A. Transcriptional oscillation of lunatic fringe is essential for somitogenesis. Genes Dev. 2003;17:912-25 pubmed
- Hirata H, Bessho Y, Kokubu H, Masamizu Y, Yamada S, Lewis J, et al. Instability of Hes7 protein is crucial for the somite segmentation clock. Nat Genet. 2004;36:750-4 pubmed..We simulated this effect mathematically using a direct autorepression model. Thus, instability of Hes7 is essential for sustained oscillation and for its function as a segmentation clock. ..
- Barrantes I, Elia A, Wunsch K, Hrabe de Angelis M, Mak T, Rossant J, et al. Interaction between Notch signalling and Lunatic fringe during somite boundary formation in the mouse. Curr Biol. 1999;9:470-80 pubmed..In this region, Notch function activates a set of genes that are involved in boundary formation and anterior-posterior somite identity. ..
- Rovescalli A, Asoh S, Nirenberg M. Cloning and characterization of four murine homeobox genes. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1996;93:10691-6 pubmedFour novel murine homeobox genes, Uncx-4.1, OG-2, OG-9, and OG-12, were cloned and partially sequenced. The amino acid sequence of the mouse Uncx-4...
- Moran J, Johnston S, Rauskolb C, Bhalerao J, Bowcock A, Vogt T. Genomic structure, mapping, and expression analysis of the mammalian Lunatic, Manic, and Radical fringe genes. Mamm Genome. 1999;10:535-41 pubmed..Comparative analysis of mammalian Fringe genomic organization suggests that the first exon is evolutionarily labile and that the Fringe genes have a genomic structure distinct from those of previously characterized glycosyltransferases. ..
- Krebs L, Deftos M, Bevan M, Gridley T. The Nrarp gene encodes an ankyrin-repeat protein that is transcriptionally regulated by the notch signaling pathway. Dev Biol. 2001;238:110-9 pubmed..These observations demonstrate that the Nrarp gene is an evolutionarily conserved transcriptional target of the Notch signaling pathway. ..
- Evrard Y, Lun Y, Aulehla A, Gan L, Johnson R. lunatic fringe is an essential mediator of somite segmentation and patterning. Nature. 1998;394:377-81 pubmed
- Zhang N, Norton C, Gridley T. Segmentation defects of Notch pathway mutants and absence of a synergistic phenotype in lunatic fringe/radical fringe double mutant mice. Genesis. 2002;33:21-8 pubmed..These mice exhibit the skeletal defects normally observed in Lfng-deficient mice, but we detected no obvious synergistic or additive effects in the double mutant animals. ..
- Dunwoodie S, Clements M, Sparrow D, Sa X, Conlon R, Beddington R. Axial skeletal defects caused by mutation in the spondylocostal dysplasia/pudgy gene Dll3 are associated with disruption of the segmentation clock within the presomitic mesoderm. Development. 2002;129:1795-806 pubmed
- Takahashi J, Ohbayashi A, Oginuma M, Saito D, Mochizuki A, Saga Y, et al. Analysis of Ripply1/2-deficient mouse embryos reveals a mechanism underlying the rostro-caudal patterning within a somite. Dev Biol. 2010;342:134-45 pubmed publisher..We propose that the rostro-caudal pattern is established by dynamic interaction of Notch activity with two Mesp2 domains, which are defined in successive segmentation cycles by Notch, Tbx6 and Ripply1/2...
- Xue Y, Gao X, Lindsell C, Norton C, Chang B, Hicks C, et al. Embryonic lethality and vascular defects in mice lacking the Notch ligand Jagged1. Hum Mol Genet. 1999;8:723-30 pubmed..These results establish the phenotype of Cm /+ mice as a contiguous gene deletion syndrome and demonstrate that Jag1 is essential for remodeling of the embryonic vasculature. ..
- Bessho Y, Sakata R, Komatsu S, Shiota K, Yamada S, Kageyama R. Dynamic expression and essential functions of Hes7 in somite segmentation. Genes Dev. 2001;15:2642-7 pubmed..These results indicate that Hes7 controls the cyclic expression of lunatic fringe and is essential for coordinated somite segmentation. ..
- Dunty W, Biris K, Chalamalasetty R, Taketo M, Lewandoski M, Yamaguchi T. Wnt3a/beta-catenin signaling controls posterior body development by coordinating mesoderm formation and segmentation. Development. 2008;135:85-94 pubmed..Thus, Wnt3a regulates somitogenesis by activating a network of interacting target genes that promote mesodermal fates, activate the segmentation clock, and position boundary determination genes in the anterior PSM. ..
- Mansouri A, Voss A, Thomas T, Yokota Y, Gruss P. Uncx4.1 is required for the formation of the pedicles and proximal ribs and acts upstream of Pax9. Development. 2000;127:2251-8 pubmed..1 upstream of Pax9 in the caudolateral sclerotome. Our results further indicate that Uncx4.1 may be involved in the differential cell adhesion properties of the somite. ..
- Harima Y, Takashima Y, Ueda Y, Ohtsuka T, Kageyama R. Accelerating the tempo of the segmentation clock by reducing the number of introns in the Hes7 gene. Cell Rep. 2013;3:1-7 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that the number of introns is important for the appropriate tempo of oscillatory expression and that Hes7 is a key regulator of the pace of the segmentation clock...
- Seo K, Wang Y, Kokubo H, Kettlewell J, Zarkower D, Johnson R. Targeted disruption of the DM domain containing transcription factor Dmrt2 reveals an essential role in somite patterning. Dev Biol. 2006;290:200-10 pubmed
- Kim W, Matsui T, Yamao M, Ishibashi M, Tamada K, Takumi T, et al. The period of the somite segmentation clock is sensitive to Notch activity. Mol Biol Cell. 2011;22:3541-9 pubmed publisher..Therefore we propose that the period of the somite segmentation clock is sensitive to Notch activity and that Nrarp plays essential roles in the morphology of vertebrae and ribs. ..
- Aulehla A, Wiegraebe W, Baubet V, Wahl M, Deng C, Taketo M, et al. A beta-catenin gradient links the clock and wavefront systems in mouse embryo segmentation. Nat Cell Biol. 2008;10:186-93 pubmed..This gradient of nuclear beta-catenin defines the size of the oscillatory field and controls key aspects of PSM maturation and segment formation, emphasizing the central role of Wnt signalling in this process. ..
- Sammeta N, Hardin D, McClintock T. Uncx regulates proliferation of neural progenitor cells and neuronal survival in the olfactory epithelium. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2010;45:398-407 pubmed publisherUncx (Phd1, Chx4) is a paired homeobox transcription factor gene...
- Cordes R, Schuster Gossler K, Serth K, Gossler A. Specification of vertebral identity is coupled to Notch signalling and the segmentation clock. Development. 2004;131:1221-33 pubmed..Together, these results provide genetic evidence that precisely regulated levels of Notch activity as well as cyclic Lfng activity are critical for positional specification of the anteroposterior body axis in the paraxial mesoderm. ..
- Bryja V, Andersson E, Schambony A, Esner M, Bryjova L, Biris K, et al. The extracellular domain of Lrp5/6 inhibits noncanonical Wnt signaling in vivo. Mol Biol Cell. 2009;20:924-36 pubmed publisher..Thus, we provide evidence that the extracellular domains of Lrp5/6 behave as physiologically relevant inhibitors of noncanonical Wnt signaling during Xenopus and mouse development in vivo. ..
- Kumar A, Lualdi M, Lewandoski M, Kuehn M. Broad mesodermal and endodermal deletion of Nodal at postgastrulation stages results solely in left/right axial defects. Dev Dyn. 2008;237:3591-601 pubmed publisher..No other abnormalities were found, suggesting that Nodal signaling has no additional essential functions in developmental patterning within the extensive mesodermal and endodermal domains marked by T-Cre activity. ..
- Ge C, Liu T, Hou X, Stanley P. In vivo consequences of deleting EGF repeats 8-12 including the ligand binding domain of mouse Notch1. BMC Dev Biol. 2008;8:48 pubmed publisher..While Notch1 is expressed in oocytes and blastocysts, Notch1 signaling via canonical ligands is dispensable during oogenesis, blastogenesis, implantation and gastrulation. ..
- Sandell L, Sanderson B, Moiseyev G, Johnson T, Mushegian A, Young K, et al. RDH10 is essential for synthesis of embryonic retinoic acid and is required for limb, craniofacial, and organ development. Genes Dev. 2007;21:1113-24 pubmed..Furthermore, these results identify a new nodal point in RA metabolism during embryogenesis. ..
- Takemoto T, Uchikawa M, Yoshida M, Bell D, Lovell Badge R, Papaioannou V, et al. Tbx6-dependent Sox2 regulation determines neural or mesodermal fate in axial stem cells. Nature. 2011;470:394-8 pubmed publisher..Thus, Tbx6 represses Sox2 by inactivating enhancer N1 to inhibit neural development, and this is an essential step for the specification of paraxial mesoderm from the axial stem cells. ..
- Geffers I, Serth K, Chapman G, Jaekel R, Schuster Gossler K, Cordes R, et al. Divergent functions and distinct localization of the Notch ligands DLL1 and DLL3 in vivo. J Cell Biol. 2007;178:465-76 pubmed..They suggest that DLL3 does not antagonize DLL1 in the presomitic mesoderm and warrant further analyses of potential physiological functions of DLL3 in the Golgi network. ..
- Maruhashi M, Van de Putte T, Huylebroeck D, Kondoh H, Higashi Y. Involvement of SIP1 in positioning of somite boundaries in the mouse embryo. Dev Dyn. 2005;234:332-8 pubmed..The phenotype of Sip1-/- embryo introduces a new molecular component SIP1 in positioning of somite boundaries, and provides support for the current "clock and wavefront" model. ..
- Chalamalasetty R, Ajima R, Garriock R, Kennedy M, Tessarollo L, Yamaguchi T. A new gain-of-function mouse line to study the role of Wnt3a in development and disease. Genesis. 2016;54:497-502 pubmed publisher..These data indicate that the exogenously expressed Wnt3a stimulates the Wnt/?-catenin signaling pathway, as expected. The Rosa26(Wnt3a) mouse line should prove to be an invaluable tool to study the function of Wnt3a in vivo. ..
- Takahashi Y, Hiraoka S, Kitajima S, Inoue T, Kanno J, Saga Y. Differential contributions of Mesp1 and Mesp2 to the epithelialization and rostro-caudal patterning of somites. Development. 2005;132:787-96 pubmed
- van Rooijen C, Simmini S, Bialecka M, Neijts R, van de Ven C, Beck F, et al. Evolutionarily conserved requirement of Cdx for post-occipital tissue emergence. Development. 2012;139:2576-83 pubmed publisher..Cdx requirement for the post-head section of the axis is ancestral as it takes place in arthropods as well. ..
- Zhao W, Ajima R, Ninomiya Y, Saga Y. Segmental border is defined by Ripply2-mediated Tbx6 repression independent of Mesp2. Dev Biol. 2015;400:105-17 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results demonstrate that Ripply2 represses Tbx6 in a Mesp2-independent manner, which contributes to the accurate segmental border formation. ..
- Roffers Agarwal J, Gammill L. Neuropilin receptors guide distinct phases of sensory and motor neuronal segmentation. Development. 2009;136:1879-88 pubmed publisher..These data show that Nrp2 and Nrp1 work together to produce segmentation of sensory and motor nerves, and that dorsal peripheral nervous system metamerism is generated in a stepwise, Nrp-dependent process. ..
- Arnold S, Hofmann U, Bikoff E, Robertson E. Pivotal roles for eomesodermin during axis formation, epithelium-to-mesenchyme transition and endoderm specification in the mouse. Development. 2008;135:501-11 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our experiments establish that Eomes is a key regulator of anteroposterior axis formation, EMT and definitive endoderm specification in the mouse. ..
- Behrens A, Haigh J, Mechta Grigoriou F, Nagy A, Yaniv M, Wagner E. Impaired intervertebral disc formation in the absence of Jun. Development. 2003;130:103-9 pubmed..Subsequently, fusion of vertebral bodies caused a scoliosis of the axial skeleton. Thus, Jun is required for axial skeletogenesis by regulating notochord survival and intervertebral disc formation. ..
- Vilhais Neto G, Fournier M, Plassat J, Sardiu M, Saraf A, Garnier J, et al. The WHHERE coactivator complex is required for retinoic acid-dependent regulation of embryonic symmetry. Nat Commun. 2017;8:728 pubmed publisher..Here, the authors use a proteomic approach to identify a protein complex of Wdr5, Hdac1, Hdac2 that act together with RA and coactivator Rere/Atrophin2 and a histone methyltransferase Ehmt2 to regulate embryonic symmetry. ..
- Lopes Floro K, Artap S, Preis J, Fatkin D, Chapman G, Furtado M, et al. Loss of Cited2 causes congenital heart disease by perturbing left-right patterning of the body axis. Hum Mol Genet. 2011;20:1097-110 pubmed publisher..The clinical relevance of these findings lies in the fact that heterozygous mutation of human CITED2 is associated with congenital heart disease and laterality defects. ..
- Beckers J, Schlautmann N, Gossler A. The mouse rib-vertebrae mutation disrupts anterior-posterior somite patterning and genetically interacts with a Delta1 null allele. Mech Dev. 2000;95:35-46 pubmed..However, fine genetic mapping places rv into an interval on chromosome seven that does not contain a gene encoding a known component of the Notch signaling pathway. ..
- Davy A, Soriano P. Ephrin-B2 forward signaling regulates somite patterning and neural crest cell development. Dev Biol. 2007;304:182-93 pubmed..Our results uncover an important role for ephrin-B2 in NCC and somites during embryogenesis and suggest that ephrin-B2 exerts many of its embryonic function via activation of forward signaling. ..
- Furtado M, Solloway M, Jones V, Costa M, Biben C, Wolstein O, et al. BMP/SMAD1 signaling sets a threshold for the left/right pathway in lateral plate mesoderm and limits availability of SMAD4. Genes Dev. 2008;22:3037-49 pubmed publisher..We conclude that BMP/SMAD1 signaling sets a bilateral, repressive threshold for NODAL-dependent Nodal activation in LPM, limiting availability of SMAD4. This repressive threshold is essential for bistable output of the LR system. ..
- Peters H, Wilm B, Sakai N, Imai K, Maas R, Balling R. Pax1 and Pax9 synergistically regulate vertebral column development. Development. 1999;126:5399-408 pubmed..In addition, our data indicate that the development of medial and lateral elements of vertebrae is regulated by distinct genetic pathways. ..
- Schwabe G, Trepczik B, Süring K, Brieske N, Tucker A, Sharpe P, et al. Ror2 knockout mouse as a model for the developmental pathology of autosomal recessive Robinow syndrome. Dev Dyn. 2004;229:400-10 pubmed..The Ror2(-/-) mouse provides a suitable model that may help to explain many of the underlying developmental malformations in individuals with Robinow syndrome. ..
- Karner C, Das A, Ma Z, Self M, Chen C, Lum L, et al. Canonical Wnt9b signaling balances progenitor cell expansion and differentiation during kidney development. Development. 2011;138:1247-57 pubmed publisher..These findings provide novel insights into the molecular mechanisms that regulate progenitor cell differentiation during normal and pathological conditions. ..
- Stafford D, Brunet L, Khokha M, Economides A, Harland R. Cooperative activity of noggin and gremlin 1 in axial skeleton development. Development. 2011;138:1005-14 pubmed publisher..We conclude that Nog and Grem1 cooperate to maintain a BMP signaling-free zone that is a crucial prerequisite for Hh-mediated sclerotome induction...
- Oginuma M, Takahashi Y, Kitajima S, Kiso M, Kanno J, Kimura A, et al. The oscillation of Notch activation, but not its boundary, is required for somite border formation and rostral-caudal patterning within a somite. Development. 2010;137:1515-22 pubmed publisher..This indicates that the initial somite pattern can be defined as a direct output of the segmentation clock...
- Donoviel D, Hadjantonakis A, Ikeda M, Zheng H, Hyslop P, Bernstein A. Mice lacking both presenilin genes exhibit early embryonic patterning defects. Genes Dev. 1999;13:2801-10 pubmed
- Yamanaka Y, Tamplin O, Beckers A, Gossler A, Rossant J. Live imaging and genetic analysis of mouse notochord formation reveals regional morphogenetic mechanisms. Dev Cell. 2007;13:884-96 pubmed..Therefore, we propose three distinct regions within the mouse notochord, each with unique morphogenetic origins...
- Anderson M, Schimmang T, Lewandoski M. An FGF3-BMP Signaling Axis Regulates Caudal Neural Tube Closure, Neural Crest Specification and Anterior-Posterior Axis Extension. PLoS Genet. 2016;12:e1006018 pubmed publisher..Uncovering this FGF3-BMP signaling axis is a major advance toward understanding how these tissue layers interact during axis extension with important implications in human disease. ..
- Blacklaws J, Deska Gauthier D, Jones C, Petracca Y, Liu M, Zhang H, et al. Sim1 is required for the migration and axonal projections of V3 interneurons in the developing mouse spinal cord. Dev Neurobiol. 2015;75:1003-17 pubmed publisher..5 and P0 without affecting ipsilateral axon projections. These results demonstrate that Sim1 is essential for proper migration and the guidance of commissural axons of the spinal V3 INs. ..
- Koizumi K, Nakajima M, Yuasa S, Saga Y, Sakai T, Kuriyama T, et al. The role of presenilin 1 during somite segmentation. Development. 2001;128:1391-402 pubmed..In summary, we propose that Ps1 is involved in the functional manifestation of the segmentation clock in the presomitic mesoderm. ..
- Cau E, Casarosa S, Guillemot F. Mash1 and Ngn1 control distinct steps of determination and differentiation in the olfactory sensory neuron lineage. Development. 2002;129:1871-80 pubmed..These results illustrate the versatility of neural bHLH genes which adopt either a determination or a differentiation function, depending primarily on the timing of their expression in neural progenitors. ..
- Jurberg A, Aires R, Varela Lasheras I, Novoa A, Mallo M. Switching axial progenitors from producing trunk to tail tissues in vertebrate embryos. Dev Cell. 2013;25:451-62 pubmed publisher..Our findings provide a perspective to understand the evolution of the vertebrate body plan...
- Nomura Kitabayashi A, Takahashi Y, Kitajima S, Inoue T, Takeda H, Saga Y. Hypomorphic Mesp allele distinguishes establishment of rostrocaudal polarity and segment border formation in somitogenesis. Development. 2002;129:2473-81 pubmed..These results suggest that the Mesp family of transcription factors is involved in both segment border formation and establishment of RC polarity through different genetic cascades. ..
- Biris K, Dunty W, Yamaguchi T. Mouse Ripply2 is downstream of Wnt3a and is dynamically expressed during somitogenesis. Dev Dyn. 2007;236:3167-72 pubmed..Our data are consistent with Ripply2 functioning as a segment boundary determination gene during mammalian embryogenesis. Developmental ..
- Molotkova N, Molotkov A, Sirbu I, Duester G. Requirement of mesodermal retinoic acid generated by Raldh2 for posterior neural transformation. Mech Dev. 2005;122:145-55 pubmed..An important concept to emerge from our studies is that the somitic mesodermal RA signal acts in the neuroectoderm but not mesoderm to generate a spinal cord fate. ..
- Girós A, Grgur K, Gossler A, Costell M. ?5?1 integrin-mediated adhesion to fibronectin is required for axis elongation and somitogenesis in mice. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e22002 pubmed publisher..Thus, ?5?1-mediated adhesion to FN in the PSM regulates the dynamics of membrane protrusions and cell-to-cell communication essential for elongation and segmentation of the body axis. ..
- Loomes K, Stevens S, O Brien M, Gonzalez D, Ryan M, Segalov M, et al. Dll3 and Notch1 genetic interactions model axial segmental and craniofacial malformations of human birth defects. Dev Dyn. 2007;236:2943-51 pubmed..Thus, Dll3-Notch1 double heterozygous mice model human congenital scoliosis and craniofacial disorders. ..
- Cunningham T, Chatzi C, Sandell L, Trainor P, Duester G. Rdh10 mutants deficient in limb field retinoic acid signaling exhibit normal limb patterning but display interdigital webbing. Dev Dyn. 2011;240:1142-50 pubmed publisher..These findings demonstrate that RA is unnecessary for limb patterning but required later for interdigital tissue loss. ..
- Rabe T, Griesel G, Blanke S, Kispert A, Leitges M, van der Zwaag B, et al. The transcription factor Uncx4.1 acts in a short window of midbrain dopaminergic neuron differentiation. Neural Dev. 2012;7:39 pubmed publisher..1 in mDA development is likely related to differentiation processes in postmitotic stages, and where Ngn2 is engaged. Moreover, Uncx4.1 might play an important role during glutamatergic neuronal differentiation in the mouse midbrain. ..
- Oyama T, Harigaya K, Sasaki N, Okamura Y, Kokubo H, Saga Y, et al. Mastermind-like 1 (MamL1) and mastermind-like 3 (MamL3) are essential for Notch signaling in vivo. Development. 2011;138:5235-46 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that engagement of Mam is essential for Notch signaling, and that the three Mam isoforms have distinct roles in vivo. ..
- Chan T, Kondow A, Hosoya A, Hitachi K, Yukita A, Okabayashi K, et al. Ripply2 is essential for precise somite formation during mouse early development. FEBS Lett. 2007;581:2691-6 pubmed..Moreover, somite segmentation and expression of Notch2 and Uncx4.1 were disrupted. These findings indicate that Ripply2 is involved in somite segmentation and establishment of rostrocaudal polarity. ..