Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Trpm5
Description: transient receptor potential cation channel, subfamily M, member 5
Alias: 9430099A16Rik, LTrpC-5, Ltrpc5, Mtr1, MLSN1- and TRP-related gene 1 protein, long transient receptor potential channel 5, long transient receptor potential-related channel 5, transient receptor potential cation channel subfamily M member 5
- A transient receptor potential channel expressed in taste receptor cellsCristian A Perez
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York University, Box 1677, 1425 Madison Avenue, New York, New York 10029, USA
Nat Neurosci 5:1169-76. 2002..Among the differentially expressed clones, one encoded Trpm5, a member of the mammalian family of transient receptor potential (TRP) channels...
- Nasal chemosensory cells use bitter taste signaling to detect irritants and bacterial signalsMarco Tizzano
Rocky Mountain Taste and Smell Center, Department of Cell and Developmental Biology, University of Colorado Denver, Aurora, CO 80045, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107:3210-5. 2010..Genetic ablation of either G alpha-gustducin or TrpM5, essential elements of the T2R transduction cascade, eliminates the trigeminal response...
- Trpm5 null mice respond to bitter, sweet, and umami compoundsSami Damak
Department of Neuroscience, The Mount Sinai School of Medicine, 1 Gustave L Levy Place, New York, NY 10029, USA
Chem Senses 31:253-64. 2006b>Trpm5 is a calcium-activated cation channel expressed selectively in taste receptor cells...
- Mouse taste cells with G protein-coupled taste receptors lack voltage-gated calcium channels and SNAP-25Tod R Clapp
Department of Biomedical Sciences, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO 80523, USA
BMC Biol 4:7. 2006..in subsets of Type II cells: T1R3-GFP mice were used to identify sweet- and umami-sensitive taste cells, while TRPM5-GFP mice were used to identify all cells that utilize the PLC signaling pathway for transduction...
- Olfactory neurons expressing transient receptor potential channel M5 (TRPM5) are involved in sensing semiochemicalsWeihong Lin
Department of Biological Sciences, University of Maryland Baltimore County, Baltimore, MD 21250, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:2471-6. 2007..that a downstream signaling component of the phospholipase C pathway, the transient receptor potential channel M5 (TRPM5), is coexpressed with the cyclic nucleotide-gated channel subunit A2 in a subset of mature OSNs...
- The transduction channel TRPM5 is gated by intracellular calcium in taste cellsZheng Zhang
Department of Biological Sciences and Program in Neuroscience, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California 90089, USA
J Neurosci 27:5777-86. 2007..second-messenger cascade involving gustducin, phospholipase C beta2, and the transient receptor potential M5 (TRPM5) ion channel...
- TRPM5, a taste-signaling transient receptor potential ion-channel, is a ubiquitous signaling component in chemosensory cellsSilke Kaske
Philipps University Marburg, Institute of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Marburg, Germany
BMC Neurosci 8:49. 2007..b>TRPM5 is known to be abundantly expressed in taste receptor cells where it participates in sweet, amino acid and bitter ..
- Abnormal taste perception in mice lacking the type 3 inositol 1,4,5-trisphosphate receptorChihiro Hisatsune
Laboratory for Developmental Neurobiology, RIKEN Brain Science Institute, 2 1 Hirosawa, Wako City, Saitama 351 0198, Japan
J Biol Chem 282:37225-31. 2007..We conclude that IP3R3 is a principal mediator of sweet, bitter, and umami taste perception and would be a missing molecule linking phospholipase C beta2 to TRPM5 activation.
- TRPM5-expressing solitary chemosensory cells respond to odorous irritantsWeihong Lin
Department of Biological Sciences, University of Maryland Baltimore County, Baltimore, MD 21250, USA
J Neurophysiol 99:1451-60. 2008..a large population of solitary chemosensory cells expressing the transient receptor potential channel M5 (TRPM5) using transgenic mice where the promoter of TRPM5 drives the expression of green fluorescent protein (GFP)...
- Heat activation of TRPM5 underlies thermal sensitivity of sweet tasteKarel Talavera
Laboratorium voor Fysiologie, Campus Gasthuisberg, KU Leuven, B 3000 Leuven, Belgium
Nature 438:1022-5. 2005b>TRPM5, a cation channel of the TRP superfamily, is highly expressed in taste buds of the tongue, where it has a key role in the perception of sweet, umami and bitter tastes...
- TRPM5-expressing microvillous cells in the main olfactory epitheliumWeihong Lin
Department of Biological Sciences, University of Maryland, Baltimore County, Baltimore, MD 21250, USA
BMC Neurosci 9:114. 2008..We previously found that in a mouse strain in which the TRPM5 promoter drives expression of the green fluorescent protein (GFP), a population of ciliated olfactory sensory ..
- Mtr1, a novel biallelically expressed gene in the center of the mouse distal chromosome 7 imprinting cluster, is a member of the Trp gene familyT Enklaar
Children s Hospital, University of Mainz, Langenbeckstrasse 1, Mainz, D 55101, Germany
Genomics 67:179-87. 2000We recently described a novel putative Ca(2+) channel gene, MTR1, which shows a high level of homology to the human TRPC7 gene and the melastatin 1 (MLSN1) gene, another Trp (transient receptor potential protein)-related gene whose ..
- TRPM5 is a voltage-modulated and Ca(2+)-activated monovalent selective cation channelThomas Hofmann
Department of Biological Chemistry, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, 725 North Wolfe Street, Baltimore, MD 21215, USA
Curr Biol 13:1153-8. 2003..One member of this subfamily, TRPM5, functions in taste receptor cells and has been reported to be activated through G protein-coupled receptors ..
- Sequence and comparative analysis of the mouse 1-megabase region orthologous to the human 11p15 imprinted domainP Onyango
Institute of Genetic Medicine, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21205, USA
Genome Res 10:1697-710. 2000..This study provides the first global view of the architecture of an entire imprinted domain and provides candidate sequence elements for subsequent functional analyses...
- Intracellular Ca2+ and the phospholipid PIP2 regulate the taste transduction ion channel TRPM5Dan Liu
Department of Biological Sciences and Program in Neuroscience, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA 90089, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 100:15160-5. 2003..The ion channel, TRPM5, is an essential component of this cascade; however, the mechanism by which it is activated is not known...
- Loss of high-frequency glucose-induced Ca2+ oscillations in pancreatic islets correlates with impaired glucose tolerance in Trpm5-/- miceBarbara Colsoul
Laboratory of Ion Channel Research and Gene Expression Unit, Department of Molecular Cell Biology, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, B 3001 Louvain, Belgium
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107:5208-13. 2010..We propose that TRPM5, a Ca(2+)-activated monovalent cation channel, is a positive regulator of glucose-induced insulin release...
- Nicotine activates TRPM5-dependent and independent taste pathwaysAlbino J Oliveira-Maia
Instituto de Histologia e Embriologia, Faculdade de Medicina and Instituto de Biologia Molecular e Celular, Universidade do Porto, 4200 319 Porto, Portugal
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106:1596-601. 2009..Here, rats and mice were used to determine whether nicotine activates peripheral and central taste pathways via TRPM5-dependent mechanisms, which are essential for responses to other bitter tastants such as quinine, and/or via ..
- Multiple sweet receptors and transduction pathways revealed in knockout mice by temperature dependence and gurmarin sensitivityTadahiro Ohkuri
Graduate School of Dental Science, Kyushu University, Fukuoka, 812 8582, Japan
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 296:R960-71. 2009..involves taste receptor type 1, member 2 (T1R2), taste receptor type 1, member 3 (T1R3), gustducin, and TRPM5. Because knockout (KO) mice lacking T1R3, gustducin's Galpha subunit (Galphagust), or TRPM5 exhibited greatly ..
- Sensory attributes of complex tasting divalent salts are mediated by TRPM5 and TRPV1 channelsCeline E Riera
Nestle Research Center, Vers chez les Blanc, CH 1000 Lausanne, Switzerland
J Neurosci 29:2654-62. 2009..in wild-type (WT) mice and in mice lacking (1) the T1R3 receptor, (2) TRPV1, the capsaicin receptor, or (3) the TRPM5 channel, the latter being necessary for the perception of sweet, bitter, and umami tasting stimuli...
- FXYD6, a Na,K-ATPase regulator, is expressed in type II taste cellsYoichiro Shindo
Research Laboratories for Health and Gustatory Science, Asahi Breweries, Ltd, Midori, Moriya, Japan
Biosci Biotechnol Biochem 75:1061-6. 2011..showed that Fxyd6 was coexpressed with transient receptor potential cation channel, subfamily M, member 5 (Trpm5), a critical component of the sweet, bitter, and umami taste signal transduction pathways and that it was ..
- Release of endogenous opioids from duodenal enteroendocrine cells requires Trpm5Zaza Kokrashvili
Department of Neuroscience, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, New York, USA
Gastroenterology 137:598-606, 606.e1-2. 2009..We studied a subset of these enteroendocrine cells in duodenum that produce several peptides, including endogenous opioids, and that also express the Trpm5 cation channel.
- Transient receptor potential channel type M5 is essential for fat tastePin Liu
Department of Biology, Utah State University, Logan, Utah 84322, USA
J Neurosci 31:8634-42. 2011..elicits a robust intracellular calcium rise via the activation of transient receptor potential channel type M5 (TRPM5)...
- Combined in silico and in vivo analyses reveal role of Hes1 in taste cell differentiationMasato S Ota
Section of Molecular Craniofacial Embryology, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, Tokyo, Japan
PLoS Genet 5:e1000443. 2009..Thus, according to our composite analyses, Hes1 is likely to play a role in orchestrating taste cell differentiation in developing taste buds...
- Adding efficiency: the role of the CAN ion channels TRPM4 and TRPM5 in pancreatic isletsThorsten Enklaar
Centre for Paediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, University Medical Centre of the Johannes Guetenberg University, Mainz, Germany
Islets 2:337-8. 2010..Recently two calcium activated nonselective (CAN) cation channels (TRPM4 and TRPM5) have been shown to influence efficient insulin response upon glucose stimulation...
- Intracellular Ca(2+) and TRPM5-mediated membrane depolarization produce ATP secretion from taste receptor cellsYijen A Huang
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, University of Miami School of Medicine, Miami, FL 33136, USA
J Physiol 588:2343-50. 2010..Taste-evoked ATP secretion is absent in receptor cells isolated from TRPM5 knockout mice or in taste cells from wild type mice where current through TRPM5 channels has been eliminated...
- Dynamic expression of the TRPM subgroup of ion channels in developing mouse sensory neuronsSusanne Staaf
Department of Bioscience, AstraZeneca R and D Molndal, 431 83 Mölndal, Sweden
Gene Expr Patterns 10:65-74. 2010..For most channels, the expression increased from E14 to adult with the exception of TRPM5, which displayed transient high levels during embryonic and early postnatal stages...
- Nutrient selection in the absence of taste receptor signalingXueying Ren
The John B Pierce Laboratory, New Haven, Connecticut 06519, USA
J Neurosci 30:8012-23. 2010..Here we show that Trpm5(-/-) mice, which lack the cellular mechanisms required for sweet and several forms of l-amino acid taste ..
- Chemoreception regulates chemical access to mouse vomeronasal organ: role of solitary chemosensory cellsTatsuya Ogura
Department of Biological Sciences, University of Maryland, Baltimore County, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America
PLoS ONE 5:e11924. 2010..These SCCs express transient receptor potential channel M5 (TRPM5) and the phospholipase C (PLC) beta2 signaling pathway...
- TRPM5 regulates glucose-stimulated insulin secretionLili R Brixel
Centre for Paediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, University Medical Centre of the Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz, Obere Zahlbacher Str 63, 55131 Mainz, Germany
Pflugers Arch 460:69-76. 2010..b>TRPM5 is a cation channel expressed in beta-cells and proposed to be involved in coupling intracellular Ca(2+) release ..
- Quantitative assessment of TRPM5-dependent oral aversiveness of pharmaceuticals using a mouse brief-access taste aversion assayHeather R Devantier
Discovery Research, Redpoint Bio Corporation, Ewing, NJ 08628, USA
Behav Pharmacol 19:673-82. 2008..T2R G-protein coupled receptors through a peripheral signaling pathway critically dependent upon function of the TRPM5 ion channel...
- Sequence conservation and variability of imprinting in the Beckwith-Wiedemann syndrome gene cluster in human and mouseM Paulsen
Max Planck Institut fur Molekulare Genetik, Ihnestrabetae 73, D 14195 Berlin, Germany
Hum Mol Genet 9:1829-41. 2000..Third, two of the orthologous gene pairs Tssc4/TSSC4 and Ltrpc5/LTRPC5 showed apparent differences in imprinting between human and mouse, whereas others like Tssc6/TSSC6 were not ..
- Sequence and functional comparison in the Beckwith-Wiedemann region: implications for a novel imprinting centre and extended imprintingS Engemann
Max Planck Institut fur Molekulare Genetik, Ihnestrasse 73, D 14195 Berlin, Germany
Hum Mol Genet 9:2691-706. 2000..One of the genes outside the cluster, Obph1, is imprinted in mouse placenta indicating that at least in extra-embryonic tissues the imprinting cluster extends into a larger domain...
- Regional loss of imprinting and growth deficiency in mice with a targeted deletion of KvDMR1Galina V Fitzpatrick
Department of Cancer Genetics, Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Buffalo, New York 14263, USA
Nat Genet 32:426-31. 2002..These findings support the hypothesis that loss of methylation in BWS patients activates the repressive function of KvDMR1 on the maternal chromosome, resulting in abnormal silencing of CDKN1C and the development of BWS...
- Comparison of functional properties of the Ca2+-activated cation channels TRPM4 and TRPM5 from miceNina D Ullrich
Laboratorium voor Fysiologie, Department of Physiology, Campus Gasthuisberg, KU Leuven, Herestraat 49, B 3000 Leuven, Belgium
Cell Calcium 37:267-78. 2005..TRPM4 and TRPM5, two Ca2+-activated cation channels of the TRP superfamily, are potential molecular correlates of NSC channels...
- Extracellular acid block and acid-enhanced inactivation of the Ca2+-activated cation channel TRPM5 involve residues in the S3-S4 and S5-S6 extracellular domainsDan Liu
Division of Neurobiology, Department of Biological Sciences and Program in Neuroscience, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California 90089, USA
J Biol Chem 280:20691-9. 2005b>TRPM5, a member of the superfamily of transient receptor potential ion channels, is essential for the detection of bitter, sweet, and amino acid tastes...
- Signal transduction of umami taste: insights from knockout miceMinqing Rong
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, The Mount Sinai School of Medicine, 1 Gustave L. Levy Place, New York, NY 10029, USA
Chem Senses 30:i33-4. 2005
- Expression profiling of uniparental mouse embryos is inefficient in identifying novel imprinted genesNico Ruf
Max Delbrueck Center for Molecular Medicine, Berlin Buch, Germany
Genomics 87:509-19. 2006....
- Arachidonic acid can function as a signaling modulator by activating the TRPM5 cation channel in taste receptor cellsHideaki Oike
Department of Applied Biological Chemistry, Graduate School of Agricultural and Life Sciences, The University of Tokyo, Tokyo 113 8657, Japan
Biochim Biophys Acta 1761:1078-84. 2006..As a result of activation of G protein and phospholipase Cbeta2, the TRPM5 channel is activated...
- Perception of sweet taste is important for voluntary alcohol consumption in miceY A Blednov
Waggoner Center for Alcohol and Addiction Research, 1 University Station A4800, Austin, TX 78712 0159, USA
Genes Brain Behav 7:1-13. 2008..each lacking a gene expressed in taste buds and critical to taste transduction: alpha-gustducin (Gnat3), Tas1r3 or Trpm5. Null mutant mice lacking any of these three genes showed lower preference score for alcohol and consumed less ..
- Fat and carbohydrate preferences in mice: the contribution of alpha-gustducin and Trpm5 taste-signaling proteinsAnthony Sclafani
Dept of Psychology, Brooklyn College of the City University of New York, Brooklyn, NY 11210, USA
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 293:R1504-13. 2007b>Trpm5 and alpha-gustducin are key to the transduction of tastes of sugars, amino acids, and bitter compounds...
- The taste transduction channel TRPM5 is a locus for bitter-sweet taste interactionsKarel Talavera
Laboratory of Ion Channel Research, Dept of Molecular Cell Biology, Herestraat 49, Campus Gasthuisberg, O and N1, KU Leuven, B 3000 Leuven, Belgium
FASEB J 22:1343-55. 2008..Here we report that TRPM5, a cation channel involved in sweet taste transduction, is inhibited by quinine (EC(50)=50 microM at -50 mV) owing ..
- Food reward in the absence of taste receptor signalingIvan E de Araujo
Department of Neurobiology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Neuron 57:930-41. 2008..Here we show that trpm5-/- mice, which lack the cellular machinery required for sweet taste transduction, can develop a robust preference ..
- The calcium-activated nonselective cation channel TRPM4 is essential for the migration but not the maturation of dendritic cellsGaetan Barbet
Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale U699, Paris, France
Nat Immunol 9:1148-56. 2008..Our results establish TRPM4-regulated Ca(2+) homeostasis as crucial for DC mobility but not maturation and emphasize that DC maturation and migration are independently regulated...
- Sequence-based structural features between Kvlqt1 and Tapa1 on mouse chromosome 7F4/F5 corresponding to the Beckwith-Wiedemann syndrome region on human 11p15.5: long-stretches of unusually well conserved intronic sequences of kvlqt1 between mouse and humaH Yatsuki
Department of Biochemistry, Saga Medical School, Saga, Japan
DNA Res 7:195-206. 2000..Many expressed sequence tags (ESTs) were mapped on this locus. Three genes, Lit1 (Kvlqt1-AS), Mtr1 and Tssc4, were identified and characterized...
- Intraspecific chemosignals in the main olfactory systemWeihong Lin; Fiscal Year: 2009..In our preliminary study, we find that a novel signaling component, Transient Receptor Potential channel M5 (TRPM5), is present in a subset of mouse mature OSNs involved in olfactory signaling of pheromones and urinary components...
- Intraspecific chemosignals in the main olfactory systemWeihong Lin; Fiscal Year: 2010..In our preliminary study, we find that a novel signaling component, Transient Receptor Potential channel M5 (TRPM5), is present in a subset of mouse mature OSNs involved in olfactory signaling of pheromones and urinary components...
- Putative pheromones in the main olfactory systemWeihong Lin; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Neuropharmacology of Learned Food PreferencesAnthony Sclafani; Fiscal Year: 2009..It will advance our understanding of the basic mechanisms involved in the development of food preferences and may provide insights into the clinical treatment of overeating and obesity. ..
- Biochemical and Genetic Determinants of Differences in Alcohol ConsumptionYURI BLEDNOV; Fiscal Year: 2007..Alcantara - Austin, Texas; S. Bergeson - Austin, Texas; R. D. Mayfield - Austin, Texas; R. Davis - Houston, Texas; A. Ryabinin - Portland, Oregon; B. Tabakoff - Aurora, Colorado). ..
- Carbohydrate Appetite Fat Appetite and ObesityAnthony Sclafani; Fiscal Year: 2007..The findings may provide practical benefits for current attempts to alter dietary fat and carbohydrate intake and control adiposity in humans. ..