Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Trf
Alias: AI266983, Cd176, Tfn, hpx, serotransferrin, beta-1 metal-binding globulin, hypotransferrinemia with hemochromatosis, siderophilin
- Wiley D, Webster P, Gale A, Davis M. Transcytosis and brain uptake of transferrin-containing nanoparticles by tuning avidity to transferrin receptor. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013;110:8662-7 pubmed publisher..The requirement of proper avidity for nanoparticles to reach the brain parenchyma is consistent with recent behavior observed with transcytosing antibodies that bind to TfR. ..
- Suzuki M, Tanaka H, Tanimura A, Tanabe K, Oe N, Rai S, et al. The clathrin assembly protein PICALM is required for erythroid maturation and transferrin internalization in mice. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e31854 pubmed publisher..CALM-deficient erythroid cells and embryonic fibroblasts exhibited impaired clathrin-mediated endocytosis of transferrin. These results indicate that CALM is required for erythroid maturation and transferrin internalization in mice. ..
- Wanderling S, Simen B, Ostrovsky O, Ahmed N, Vogen S, Gidalevitz T, et al. GRP94 is essential for mesoderm induction and muscle development because it regulates insulin-like growth factor secretion. Mol Biol Cell. 2007;18:3764-75 pubmed..The data identify insulin-like growth factor II as one developmentally important protein whose production depends on the activity of GRP94. ..
- Ghio A, Wang X, Silbajoris R, Garrick M, Piantadosi C, Yang F. DMT1 expression is increased in the lungs of hypotransferrinemic mice. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2003;284:L938-44 pubmed..Increased expression of -IRE DMT1 in the lungs of the Hp mice could be responsible for elevated concentrations of the metal in these tissues. ..
- McKie A, Barrow D, Latunde Dada G, Rolfs A, Sager G, Mudaly E, et al. An iron-regulated ferric reductase associated with the absorption of dietary iron. Science. 2001;291:1755-9 pubmed..Duodenal expression levels of Dcytb messenger RNA and protein were regulated by changes in physiological modulators of iron absorption. Thus, Dcytb provides an important element in the iron absorption pathway. ..
- Simpson R, Konijn A, Lombard M, Raja K, Salisbury J, Peters T. Tissue iron loading and histopathological changes in hypotransferrinaemic mice. J Pathol. 1993;171:237-44 pubmedTissue iron loading in hypotransferrinaemic (hpx/hpx) mice was investigated as a model for genetic (primary) haemochromatosis. Iron loading of liver preceded that in the pancreas and heart...
- Kasik J, Rice E. Transferrin gene expression in maternal liver, fetal liver and placenta during pregnancy in the mouse. Placenta. 1993;14:365-71 pubmed..The data presented demonstrate an increase in mRNA transferrin in late gestation in maternal and fetal liver. Additionally, the placenta expresses a gene homologous to liver transferrin and it also is upregulated in late gestation. ..
- Kingsley D, Jenkins N, Copeland N. A molecular genetic linkage map of mouse chromosome 9 with regional localizations for the Gsta, T3g, Ets-1 and Ldlr loci. Genetics. 1989;123:165-72 pubmed..In addition, the close linkage detected between the dilute and Gsta loci suggests that the Gsta locus may be part of the dilute/short ear complex, one of the most extensively studied genetic regions of the mouse. ..
- Li K, Christiano A, Copeland N, Gilbert D, Chu M, Jenkins N, et al. cDNA cloning and chromosomal mapping of the mouse type VII collagen gene (Col7a1): evidence for rapid evolutionary divergence of the gene. Genomics. 1993;16:733-9 pubmed..This assignment confirms and extends the relationship between the mouse and the human chromosomes in this region of the genome. ..
- Yoon D, Pastore Y, Divoky V, Liu E, Mlodnicka A, Rainey K, et al. Hypoxia-inducible factor-1 deficiency results in dysregulated erythropoiesis signaling and iron homeostasis in mouse development. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:25703-11 pubmed..These results identify a novel role for HIF-1 in the regulation of iron homeostasis and reveal unexpected regulatory differences in Epo/EpoR signaling in yolk sac and embryonic erythropoiesis. ..
- Lin E, Kozak C, Orlofsky A, Prystowsky M. The bcl-2 family member, Bcl2a1, maps to mouse chromosome 9 and human chromosome 15. Mamm Genome. 1997;8:293-4 pubmed
- Dickinson T, Connor J. Cellular distribution of iron, transferrin, and ferritin in the hypotransferrinemic (Hp) mouse brain. J Comp Neurol. 1995;355:67-80 pubmed
- Takeda A, Takatsuka K, Connor J, Oku N. Abnormal iron delivery to the bone marrow in neonatal hypotransferrinemic mice. Biometals. 2002;15:33-6 pubmed..However, the iron seems to be unavailable for the production of hemoglobin. These results suggest that transferrin-dependent iron uptake by erythroid cells in the bone marrow is essential for the development of erythrocytes...
- Seldin M, Saunders A, Rochelle J, Howard T. A proximal mouse chromosome 9 linkage map that further defines linkage groups homologous with segments of human chromosomes 11, 15, and 19. Genomics. 1991;9:678-85 pubmed..3 cM-Icam-1/Ldlr-18.4 cM-Thy-1-1.8 cM-Ncam-0.9 cM-Hexa-7.9 cM-Gsta-7.9 cM-Trf. Three of these loci, Pvs, Icam-1, and Hexa, have not been mapped previously...
- Jenuth J, Fung E, Snyder F. Assignment of a gene that determines erythrocytic guanosine-5'-triphosphate concentration (Gtpc) to mouse chromosome 9. Genome. 1994;37:399-404 pubmed..A test for linkage of Gtpc to transferrin (Trf) on chromosome 9 gave evidence of linkage with an observed recombination frequency of 14.6 +/- 5...
- Bartlett D, Su H, Hildebrandt I, Weber W, Davis M. Impact of tumor-specific targeting on the biodistribution and efficacy of siRNA nanoparticles measured by multimodality in vivo imaging. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:15549-54 pubmed..Optimization of internalization may therefore be key for the development of effective nanoparticle-based targeted therapeutics. ..
- Bernstein S. Hereditary hypotransferrinemia with hemosiderosis, a murine disorder resembling human atransferrinemia. J Lab Clin Med. 1987;110:690-705 pubmed..The data indicate that the gene hpx produces wholly normal strain-specific transferrin but in small amounts...
- Ohgami R, Campagna D, Greer E, Antiochos B, McDonald A, Chen J, et al. Identification of a ferrireductase required for efficient transferrin-dependent iron uptake in erythroid cells. Nat Genet. 2005;37:1264-9 pubmed..Taken together, these findings indicate that Steap3 is an endosomal ferrireductase required for efficient Tf-dependent iron uptake in erythroid cells. ..
- Kobayashi E, Tachibana M, Ikadai H, Imamichi T, Kunieda T. Linkage among esterase-6 (Es-6), neural cell adhesion molecule (NCAM), and apolipoprotein C-III (apoc-3) genes on rat chromosome 8. Mamm Genome. 1992;3:656-8 pubmed
- Canonne Hergaux F, Zhang A, Ponka P, Gros P. Characterization of the iron transporter DMT1 (NRAMP2/DCT1) in red blood cells of normal and anemic mk/mk mice. Blood. 2001;98:3823-30 pubmed..Together, these results provide further evidence that DMT1 plays a central role in iron acquisition via the transferrin cycle in erythroid cells. ..
- Knutson M, Levy J, Andrews N, Wessling Resnick M. Expression of stimulator of Fe transport is not enhanced in Hfe knockout mice. J Nutr. 2001;131:1459-64 pubmed..Important distinctions between Hfe(-/-) mice and HH patients include not only differences in the relative rate and magnitude of iron loading but also the lack of fibrosis and phlebotomy treatment in the knockout animals. ..
- Malecki E, Cook B, Devenyi A, Beard J, Connor J. Transferrin is required for normal distribution of 59Fe and 54Mn in mouse brain. J Neurol Sci. 1999;170:112-8 pubmedHypotransferrinemia (hpx/hpx) is a genetic defect in mice resulting in <1% of normal plasma transferrin (Tf) concentrations; heterozygotes for this mutation (+/hpx) have low circulating Tf concentrations...
- Chaudhary J, Skinner M. Comparative sequence analysis of the mouse and human transferrin promoters: hormonal regulation of the transferrin promoter in Sertoli cells. Mol Reprod Dev. 1998;50:273-83 pubmed..Conserved response elements between the mouse and human sequences identify potentially important regulatory elements of the promoter and are discussed. ..
- Chen S, Chen J, Johnson P, Muppala V, Lee Y. C/EBPbeta, when expressed from the C/ebpalpha gene locus, can functionally replace C/EBPalpha in liver but not in adipose tissue. Mol Cell Biol. 2000;20:7292-9 pubmed..Moreover, our studies with the C/ebpalpha(beta/beta) mice provide new insights into the nonredundant functions of C/EBPalpha and C/EBPbeta on gene regulation in WAT. ..
- Yang F, Coalson J, Bobb H, Carter J, Banu J, Ghio A. Resistance of hypotransferrinemic mice to hyperoxia-induced lung injury. Am J Physiol. 1999;277:L1214-23 pubmed
- Xu T, Rumsby M. Phorbol ester-induced translocation of PKC epsilon to the nucleus in fibroblasts: identification of nuclear PKC epsilon-associating proteins. FEBS Lett. 2004;570:20-4 pubmed..We have confirmed that these proteins associate with PKC by gel overlay and/or dot blotting assays. The role of these PKC-associating proteins in the nucleus and their interaction with PKC are considered. ..
- Dragatsis I, Efstratiadis A, Zeitlin S. Mouse mutant embryos lacking huntingtin are rescued from lethality by wild-type extraembryonic tissues. Development. 1998;125:1529-39 pubmed
- Uechi Y, Bayarjargal M, Umikawa M, Oshiro M, Takei K, Yamashiro Y, et al. Rap2 function requires palmitoylation and recycling endosome localization. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2009;378:732-7 pubmed publisher..These observations implicate the involvement of palmitoylation and recycling endosome localization in cellular functions of Rap2 proteins. ..
- Raja K, Simpson R, Peters T. Intestinal iron absorption studies in mouse models of iron-overload. Br J Haematol. 1994;86:156-62 pubmed..Thus, of the three models, hpx/hpx mice showed the greatest enhancement in intestinal iron absorption and net iron-loading and provides a suitable ..
- Simonsen A, Birkeland H, Gillooly D, Mizushima N, Kuma A, Yoshimori T, et al. Alfy, a novel FYVE-domain-containing protein associated with protein granules and autophagic membranes. J Cell Sci. 2004;117:4239-51 pubmed..By electron microscopy, similar structures can be found within autophagosomes. We propose that Alfy might target cytosolic protein aggregates for autophagic degradation. ..
- Yoshimura A, Ohkubo T, Kiguchi T, Jenkins N, Gilbert D, Copeland N, et al. A novel cytokine-inducible gene CIS encodes an SH2-containing protein that binds to tyrosine-phosphorylated interleukin 3 and erythropoietin receptors. EMBO J. 1995;14:2816-26 pubmed..Thus CIS appears to be a unique regulatory molecule for cytokine signal transduction. ..
- Mortensen M, Ferguson D, Edelmann M, Kessler B, Morten K, Komatsu M, et al. Loss of autophagy in erythroid cells leads to defective removal of mitochondria and severe anemia in vivo. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:832-7 pubmed publisher..In summary, we show that the selective removal of mitochondria by autophagy, but not other organelles, during erythropoeisis is essential and that this is a necessary developmental step in erythroid cells...
- Bachman M, Lenio S, Schmidt L, Oyler J, Weiser J. Interaction of lipocalin 2, transferrin, and siderophores determines the replicative niche of Klebsiella pneumoniae during pneumonia. MBio. 2012;3: pubmed publisher..Together, transferrin and lipocalin 2 protect this space against all types of K. pneumoniae tested. Therefore, the ability to acquire iron determines where bacteria can grow in the lung. ..
- Liebl D, Difato F, Horníková L, Mannová P, Stokrova J, Forstova J. Mouse polyomavirus enters early endosomes, requires their acidic pH for productive infection, and meets transferrin cargo in Rab11-positive endosomes. J Virol. 2006;80:4610-22 pubmed..5 to 3 h), the virus meets up with transferrin in the Rab11-positive recycling endosome. These results point to a convergence of the virus and the cargo internalized by different pathways in common transitional compartments. ..
- Fusco C, Micale L, Egorov M, Monti M, D Addetta E, Augello B, et al. The E3-ubiquitin ligase TRIM50 interacts with HDAC6 and p62, and promotes the sequestration and clearance of ubiquitinated proteins into the aggresome. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e40440 pubmed publisher..We speculate that when the proteasome activity is impaired, TRIM50 fails to drive its substrates to the proteasome-mediated degradation, and promotes their storage in the aggresome for successive clearance...
- Malecki E, Devenyi A, Beard J, Connor J. Transferrin response in normal and iron-deficient mice heterozygotic for hypotransferrinemia; effects on iron and manganese accumulation. Biometals. 1998;11:265-76 pubmed..in mice resulting < 1% of normal plasma transferrin (Tf) concentrations; heterozygotes for this mutation (+/hpx) have low circulating Tf concentrations...
- Seymour P, Shih H, Patel N, Freude K, Xie R, Lim C, et al. A Sox9/Fgf feed-forward loop maintains pancreatic organ identity. Development. 2012;139:3363-72 pubmed publisher..This self-promoting Sox9/Fgf10/Fgfr2b loop may regulate cell identity and organ size in a broad spectrum of developmental and regenerative contexts. ..
- Pentecost B, Teng C. Lactotransferrin is the major estrogen inducible protein of mouse uterine secretions. J Biol Chem. 1987;262:10134-9 pubmed..In contrast, the mRNA is virtually undetectable in rat uterine tissue following estrogen administration. The estrogenic stimulation in mouse uterus contrasts with the known prolactin dependence in mammary gland. ..
- Pausova Z, Bourdon J, Clayton D, Mattei M, Seldin M, Janicic N, et al. Cloning of a parathyroid hormone/parathyroid hormone-related peptide receptor (PTHR) cDNA from a rat osteosarcoma (UMR 106) cell line: chromosomal assignment of the gene in the human, mouse, and rat genomes. Genomics. 1994;20:20-6 pubmed..mouse chromosome 9 band F; and by interspecific backcross analysis, the Pthr gene segregated with the transferrin (Trf) gene in chromosome 9 band F...
- Canonne Hergaux F, Levy J, Fleming M, Montross L, Andrews N, Gros P. Expression of the DMT1 (NRAMP2/DCT1) iron transporter in mice with genetic iron overload disorders. Blood. 2001;97:1138-40 pubmed..subcellular localization of DMT1 protein in 3 mouse models of iron overload were examined: hypotransferrinemic (Trf(hpx)) mice, Hfe knockout mice, and B2m knockout mice...
- Porter B, Justice M, Copeland N, Jenkins N, Hunter D, Merlie J, et al. S-laminin: mapping to mouse chromosome 9 and expression in the linked mutants tippy and ducky. Genomics. 1993;16:278-81 pubmed..No abnormality of the S-laminin gene or protein was detectable in either mutant. ..
- Molla Herman A, Ghossoub R, Blisnick T, Meunier A, Serres C, Silbermann F, et al. The ciliary pocket: an endocytic membrane domain at the base of primary and motile cilia. J Cell Sci. 2010;123:1785-95 pubmed publisher..Our data therefore highlight the conserved role of membrane trafficking in the vicinity of cilia. ..
- Eferl R, Sibilia M, Hilberg F, Fuchsbichler A, Kufferath I, Guertl B, et al. Functions of c-Jun in liver and heart development. J Cell Biol. 1999;145:1049-61 pubmed
- Canonne Hergaux F, Donovan A, Delaby C, Wang H, Gros P. Comparative studies of duodenal and macrophage ferroportin proteins. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2006;290:G156-63 pubmed..Our data also confirm a predominant regulation of ferroportin through systemic regulator(s) likely including hepcidin. ..
- Dickinson T, Connor J. Immunohistochemical analysis of transferrin receptor: regional and cellular distribution in the hypotransferrinemic (hpx) mouse brain. Brain Res. 1998;801:171-81 pubmedThe hypotransferrinemic (hpx) mouse mutant produces <1% of the normal circulating level of transferrin (Tf). Heterozygote animals of this strain (hpx/+) have approximately 50% of normal plasma Tf levels...
- Strobl B, Wechselberger C, Beier D, Lepperdinger G. Structural organization and chromosomal localization of Hyal2, a gene encoding a lysosomal hyaluronidase. Genomics. 1998;53:214-9 pubmed..The gene is expressed ubiquitously, the sole exception being adult brain. ..
- Chen L, Bissell M. Transferrin mRNA level in the mouse mammary gland is regulated by pregnancy and extracellular matrix. J Biol Chem. 1987;262:17247-50 pubmed..These findings raise the possibility that the composition of the basement membrane in the mammary gland may play a role in regulation of transferrin levels in vivo. ..
- Rosal Vela A, Barroso A, GimÃ©nez E, GarcÃa RodrÃguez S, Longobardo V, Postigo J, et al. Identification of multiple transferrin species in the spleen and serum from mice with collagen-induced arthritis which may reflect changes in transferrin glycosylation associated with disease activity: The role of CD38. J Proteomics. 2016;134:127-137 pubmed publisher..Among them, several citrullinated proteins and multiple serotransferrin (Tf) species were identified...
- Simpson R, Cooper C, Raja K, Halliwell B, Evans P, Aruoma O, et al. Non-transferrin-bound iron species in the serum of hypotransferrinaemic mice. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1992;1156:19-26 pubmed..The iron may be distinguished from known extracellular iron proteins and haem-proteins by its availability to hot acid extractions. ..
- Shimazaki Y, Manabe T. Detection of activity and mass spectrometric identification of mouse liver carboxylesterase and aldehyde dehydrogenase separated by non-denaturing two-dimensional electrophoresis after extraction with detergents. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2005;1749:95-101 pubmed..These results indicate that the activities and identity of detergent-soluble enzymes can be examined by this non-denaturing 2-DE and mass spectrometry. ..
- Yokoi H, Natsuyama S, Iwai M, Noda Y, Mori T, Mori K, et al. Non-radioisotopic quantitative RT-PCR to detect changes in mRNA levels during early mouse embryo development. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1993;195:769-75 pubmed..These results suggest that the rate of mRNA degradation is different between cyclin B and cdc25 during early embryogenesis. ..