Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Tnfsf10
Description: tumor necrosis factor (ligand) superfamily, member 10
Alias: A330042I21Rik, AI448571, APO-2L, Ly81, TL2, Trail, TNF-related apoptosis inducing ligand, TNF-related apoptosis-inducing ligand, TRAIL/APO2L, tumor necrosis factor ligand superfamily member 10
- TNF-related apoptosis-inducing ligand (TRAIL) regulates inflammatory neutrophil apoptosis and enhances resolution of inflammationEmmet E McGrath
Academic Unit of Respiratory Medicine, Department of Infection and Immunity, University of Sheffield, Sheffield, UK
J Leukoc Biol 90:855-65. 2011..We previously demonstrated that a death receptor ligand, TRAIL, accelerates neutrophil apoptosis in vitro...
- Role of tumor necrosis factor-related apoptosis-inducing ligand in immune response to influenza virus infection in miceEri Ishikawa
Department of Immunology, Yokohama City University School of Medicine, Fukuura 3 9, Kanazawa Ku, Yokohama 236 0004, Japan
J Virol 79:7658-63. 2005Tumor necrosis factor-related apoptosis-inducing ligand (TRAIL) induces apoptosis of various tumor cells but not normal cells. However, various cytokines and virus infection differentially regulate TRAIL and TRAIL receptor expression...
- Increased susceptibility to tumor initiation and metastasis in TNF-related apoptosis-inducing ligand-deficient miceErika Cretney
Cancer Immunology Program, Sir Donald and Lady Trescowthick Laboratories, Peter MacCallum Cancer Institute, A Beckett Street, East Melbourne, 8006 Victoria, Australia
J Immunol 168:1356-61. 2002We have previously implicated TNF-related apoptosis-inducing ligand (TRAIL) in innate immune surveillance against tumor development...
- The magnitude of the T cell response to a clinically significant dose of influenza virus is regulated by TRAILErik L Brincks
Department of Urology, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
J Immunol 187:4581-8. 2011..We recently reported that TRAIL is another means by which IAV-specific CD8 T cells can kill IAV-infected cells...
- Dual effects of TRAIL in suppression of autoimmunity: the inhibition of Th1 cells and the promotion of regulatory T cellsTokunori Ikeda
Department of Immunogenetics, Kumamoto University Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Kumamoto, Japan
J Immunol 185:5259-67. 2010b>TRAIL is known to play a pivotal role in the inhibition of autoimmune disease...
- Systemic immunological tolerance to ocular antigens is mediated by TRAIL-expressing CD8+ T cellsThomas S Griffith
Department of Urology, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
J Immunol 186:791-8. 2011..AC injection of Ag did not prime CD4(+) T cells and led to increased TRAIL expression by splenic CD8(+) T cells...
- Identification of a new murine tumor necrosis factor receptor locus that contains two novel murine receptors for tumor necrosis factor-related apoptosis-inducing ligand (TRAIL)Pascal Schneider
Department of Exploratory Sciences, Biogen, Inc, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02142, USA
J Biol Chem 278:5444-54. 2003..mTNFRH1, -2 and -3, are most homologous to those of the tumor necrosis factor-related apoptosis-inducing ligand (TRAIL) receptors...
- Critical role for tumor necrosis factor-related apoptosis-inducing ligand in immune surveillance against tumor developmentKazuyoshi Takeda
Department of Immunology, Juntendo University, School of Medicine, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 8421, Japan
J Exp Med 195:161-9. 2002..Here we show that tumor necrosis factor-related apoptosis-inducing ligand (TRAIL) plays a critical role in the NK cell-mediated and IFN-gamma-dependent tumor surveillance...
- Tumoricidal activity of tumor necrosis factor-related apoptosis-inducing ligand in vivoH Walczak
Immunex Corporation, Seattle, Washington 98101, USA
Nat Med 5:157-63. 1999To evaluate the utility of tumor necrosis factor-related apoptosis-inducing ligand (TRAIL) as a cancer therapeutic, we created leucine zipper (LZ) forms of human (hu) and murine (mu) TRAIL to promote and stabilize the formation of ..
- Pigment epithelium-derived factor (PEDF) promotes tumor cell death by inducing macrophage membrane tumor necrosis factor-related apoptosis-inducing ligand (TRAIL)Tsung Chuan Ho
Department of Medical Research, Mackay Memorial Hospital, Taipei 104, Taiwan
J Biol Chem 286:35943-54. 2011..This macrophage-mediated tumor killing is prevented by blockage of TNF-related apoptosis-inducing ligand (TRAIL) following treatment with the soluble TRAIL receptor...
- TRAIL promotes VSMC proliferation and neointima formation in a FGF-2-, Sp1 phosphorylation-, and NFkappaB-dependent mannerJeffrey Chan
Centre for Vascular Research, The University of New South Wales, Sydney NSW 2052, Australia
Circ Res 106:1061-71. 2010Rationale: TRAIL (tumor necrosis factor-related apoptosis-inducing ligand) is well reported as an inducer of apoptosis in tumor models; however, its role and function in vivo in atherosclerosis and vascular injury has not been ..
- Hepatocyte-specific NEMO deletion promotes NK/NKT cell- and TRAIL-dependent liver damageNaiara Beraza
Department of Internal Medicine III, University Hospital RWTH Aachen, Aachen 5205, Germany
J Exp Med 206:1727-37. 2009..resistant to Fas-mediated apoptosis but hypersensitive to tumor necrosis factor-related apoptosis-inducing ligand (TRAIL) as the result of a strong up-regulation of its receptor DR5 on hepatocytes...
- Reduced apoptosis and ameliorated listeriosis in TRAIL-null miceShi Jun Zheng
Department of Pathology, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
J Immunol 173:5652-8. 2004..We report in this study that mice deficient in TRAIL were partially resistant to primary listeriosis, and blocking TRAIL with a soluble death receptor 5 markedly ..
- Identification and characterization of a new member of the TNF family that induces apoptosisS R Wiley
Immunex Research and Development Corporation, Seattle, Washington 98101, USA
Immunity 3:673-82. 1995..This protein, designated TNF-related apoptosis-inducing ligand (TRAIL), consists of 281 and 291 aa in the human and murine forms, respectively, which share 65% aa identity...
- Immune unresponsiveness to secondary heterologous bacterial infection after sepsis induction is TRAIL dependentPrajwal Gurung
Department of Urology, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
J Immunol 187:2148-54. 2011..In contrast, CLP-treated Trail(-/-) and Dr5(-/-) mice were better able to control the secondary bacterial infection, and the Ag-specific CD8 T ..
- Characterization of the in vivo function of TNF-alpha-related apoptosis-inducing ligand, TRAIL/Apo2L, using TRAIL/Apo2L gene-deficient miceLisa M Sedger
Department of Molecular Immunology, Immunex Corporation, Seattle, USA
Eur J Immunol 32:2246-54. 2002To define the normal physiological role for the TRAIL/Apo2L in vivo, we generated TRAIL/Apo2L gene-targeted mice. These mice develop normally and show no defects in lymphoid or myeloid cell homeostasis or function...
- TRAIL identifies immature natural killer cells in newborn mice and adult mouse liverKazuyoshi Takeda
Department of Immunology, Juntendo University School of Medicine, 2 1 1 Hongo, Bukyou ku, Tokyo 113 8421, Japan
Blood 105:2082-9. 2005Tumor necrosis factor (TNF)-related apoptosis-inducing ligand (TRAIL) is a key effector molecule expressed by natural killer (NK) cells and has been shown to prevent tumor initiation, growth, and metastasis...
- Egr family members regulate nonlymphoid expression of Fas ligand, TRAIL, and tumor necrosis factor during immune responsesNathalie M Droin
Division of Cellular Immunology, La Jolla Institute for Allergy and Immunology, San Diego, California 92121, USA
Mol Cell Biol 23:7638-47. 2003..We demonstrate here that superantigen Staphylococcus enterotoxin B (SEB) induced a dramatic upregulation of FasL, TRAIL, and TNF mRNA expression and function in IEC from BALB/c and C57BL/6 mice...
- CD8 T cells utilize TRAIL to control influenza virus infectionErik L Brincks
Interdisciplinary Graduate Program in Immunology, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
J Immunol 181:4918-25. 2008..However, recent studies suggest that CD8(+) T cells can also utilize TRAIL to kill virally infected cells...
- Fatal hepatitis mediated by tumor necrosis factor TNFalpha requires caspase-8 and involves the BH3-only proteins Bid and BimThomas Kaufmann
The Walter and Eliza Hall Institute of Medical Research, Melbourne, VIC 3052, Australia
Immunity 30:56-66. 2009..These observations identify caspase-8 and the BH3-only proteins Bid and Bim as potential therapeutic targets for treatment of inflammatory liver diseases...
- TRAIL attenuates the development of atherosclerosis in apolipoprotein E deficient miceVictoria Watt
Department of Cardiovascular Science, Medical School, University of Sheffield, Sheffield S10 2RX, UK
Atherosclerosis 215:348-54. 2011b>TRAIL (tumour necrosis factor-related apoptosis inducing ligand) is most often reported to induce apoptosis in tumour cells. It is expressed in artery walls but its role and regulation in vascular pathologies is little studied...
- TNF-related apoptosis-inducing ligand (TRAIL)/Apo2L suppresses experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis in miceErika Cretney
Cancer Immunology Program, Sir Donald and Lady Trescowthick Laboratories, Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre, Victoria, Australia
Immunol Cell Biol 83:511-9. 2005Studies have suggested that endogenous TNF-related apoptosis-inducing ligand (TRAIL)/Apo2L may suppress the induction of some autoimmune diseases in mice...
- TNF-related apoptosis-inducing ligand (TRAIL) induces osteoclast differentiation from monocyte/macrophage lineage precursor cellsMen Luh Yen
Department of Primary Care Medicine, College of Medicine, National Taiwan University, Taipei, Taiwan
Mol Immunol 45:2205-13. 2008..Recent evidence indicates that the TNF-related apoptosis-inducing ligand (TRAIL) of the TNF ligand superfamily, which was initially thought to induce apoptosis in many transformed cell lines, ..
- IL-21 induces the functional maturation of murine NK cellsJason Brady
The Walter and Eliza Hall Institute of Medical Research, Parkville, Victoria, Australia
J Immunol 172:2048-58. 2004..These developmental changes suggested that IL-21 functions to induce the terminal differentiation of mouse NK cells, resulting in heightened NK cell-mediated cytotoxicity and immune surveillance...
- TRAIL receptor-mediated JNK activation and Bim phosphorylation critically regulate Fas-mediated liver damage and lethalityNadia Corazza
Division of Immunopathology, Institute of Pathology, University of Bern, Bern, Switzerland
J Clin Invest 116:2493-9. 2006TNF-related apoptosis-inducing ligand (TRAIL) is a member of the TNF family with potent apoptosis-inducing properties in tumor cells...
- TRAIL-R deficiency in mice enhances lymph node metastasis without affecting primary tumor developmentAnne Grosse-Wilde
Human Biology Division, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, Washington 98109, USA
J Clin Invest 118:100-10. 2008b>TRAIL is a promising anticancer agent due to its ability to selectively induce apoptosis in established tumor cell lines but not nontransformed cells...
- Critical link between TRAIL and CCL20 for the activation of TH2 cells and the expression of allergic airway diseaseMarkus Weckmann
Department of Paediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, Albert Ludwigs University Freiburg, 79106 Freiburg, Germany
Nat Med 13:1308-15. 2007..Here we characterize the development of allergic airway disease in TRAIL-deficient (Tnfsf10(-/-)) mice and in mice exposed to short interfering RNA targeting TRAIL...
- TRAIL limits excessive host immune responses in bacterial meningitisOlaf Hoffmann
Department of Neurology, Laboratory of Molecular Psychiatry, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Berlin, Germany
J Clin Invest 117:2004-13. 2007Apart from potential roles in anti-tumor surveillance, the TNF-related apoptosis-inducing ligand (TRAIL) has important regulatory functions in the host immune response...
- Cutting edge: TRAIL deficiency accelerates hematological malignanciesNadeen Zerafa
Cancer Immunology Program, Trescowthick Laboratories, Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
J Immunol 175:5586-90. 2005..In this study, we provide the first evaluation of spontaneous tumor formation over the life span of TRAIL-deficient mice. Interestingly, >25% of these mice do develop lymphoid malignancies after 500 days of life...
- Involvement of tumor necrosis factor-related apoptosis-inducing ligand in NK cell-mediated and IFN-gamma-dependent suppression of subcutaneous tumor growthK Takeda
Department of Immunology, Juntendo University School of Medicine, 2 1 1 Hongo, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo, Japan
Cell Immunol 214:194-200. 2001..Here we show tumor necrosis factor-related apoptosis-inducing ligand (TRAIL), which is a type II membrane protein belonging to the TNF family and plays a critical role in the NK cell-..
- Defective thymocyte apoptosis and accelerated autoimmune diseases in TRAIL-/- miceSalah Eddine Lamhamedi-Cherradi
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, School of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Nat Immunol 4:255-60. 2003b>TRAIL, the tumor necrosis factor-related apoptosis-inducing ligand, selectively induces apoptosis of tumor cells, but not most normal cells. Its role in normal, nontransformed tissues is not clear...
- Critical roles of TRAIL in hepatic cell death and hepatic inflammationShi Jun Zheng
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, School of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
J Clin Invest 113:58-64. 2004The TNF-related apoptosis-inducing ligand (TRAIL) induces apoptosis of tumor cells but not most normal cells. Its role in hepatic cell death and hepatic diseases is not clear...
- TRAIL and DR5 promote thyroid follicular cell apoptosis in iodine excess-induced experimental autoimmune thyroiditis in NOD miceXiujie Yu
Key Lab of Hormone and Institute of Endocrinology, Metabolic Disease Hospital, Tianjin Medical University of Tianjin, 127, Tianjin Medical University of Tianjin, 300070, Tianjin, China
Biol Trace Elem Res 143:1064-76. 2011..apoptosis signaling pathways, such as Fas ligand and tumor necrosis factor-related apoptosis-inducing ligand (TRAIL), have been shown to be active in thyroid cells and may be involved in destructive thyroiditis...
- The plasticity of regulatory T cell functionMeenu R Pillai
Department of Immunology, St Jude Children s Research Hospital, Memphis, TN 38105 3678, USA
J Immunol 187:4987-97. 2011..of IL-10 and IL-35 was compensated for by a concurrent increase in cathepsin E (Ctse) expression, enhanced TRAIL (Tnfsf10) expression, and soluble TRAIL release, rendering IL-10/IL-35 double-deficient T(regs) functionally dependent on ..
- CD8+ T cells use TRAIL to restrict West Nile virus pathogenesis by controlling infection in neuronsBimmi Shrestha
Departments of Medicine, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri, USA
J Virol 86:8937-48. 2012..Tumor necrosis factor-related apoptosis-inducing ligand (TRAIL; also known as CD253) has been reported to inhibit infection with dengue virus, a closely related flavivirus, in ..
- The oncogene metadherin modulates the apoptotic pathway based on the tumor necrosis factor superfamily member TRAIL (Tumor Necrosis Factor-related Apoptosis-inducing Ligand) in breast cancerNing Zhang
Department of Breast Surgery, Qilu Hospital, Shandong University, Wenhua Xi Road 107, Jinan 250012, Shandong Province, China
J Biol Chem 288:9396-407. 2013..that the relative expression of MTDH correlated with tumor necrosis factor-related apoptosis-inducing ligand (TRAIL) sensitivity in breast cancer...
- Graft-versus-host disease impairs vaccine responses through decreased CD4+ and CD8+ T cell proliferation and increased perforin-mediated CD8+ T cell apoptosisChristian M Capitini
Blood and Marrow Transplant Section, Pediatric Oncology Branch, Center for Cancer Research, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
J Immunol 190:1351-9. 2013..Using Fas ligand-deficient or TRAIL-deficient DLI had no impact on apoptosis of HY-specific T cells...
- Role of TRAIL and the pro-apoptotic Bcl-2 homolog Bim in acetaminophen-induced liver damageA Badmann
Division of Immunopathology, Institute of Pathology, University of Bern, and Visceral and Transplantation Surgery, University Hospital, Bern, Switzerland
Cell Death Dis 2:e171. 2011..We recently identified TNF-related apoptosis-inducing ligand (TRAIL) and c-Jun kinase (JNK)-dependent activation of the pro-apoptotic Bcl-2 homolog Bim as an important apoptosis ..
- TRAF-6 dependent signaling pathway is essential for TNF-related apoptosis-inducing ligand (TRAIL) induces osteoclast differentiationMen Luh Yen
Department of General Medicine, College of Medicine, National Taiwan University, Taipei, Taiwan
PLoS ONE 7:e38048. 2012..Recent evidence indicates that in addition to triggering apoptosis, the TNF-related apoptosis-inducing ligand (TRAIL) induces osteoclast differentiation...
- Functional roles of tumor necrosis factor-related apoptosis-inducing ligand-DR5 interaction in B16F10 cells by activating the nuclear factor-κB pathway to induce metastatic potentialKei Takahashi
Laboratory of Cancer Biology and Molecular Immunology, Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan
Cancer Sci 104:558-62. 2013Tumor necrosis factor-related apoptosis-inducing ligand (TRAIL) has been recognized as a promising target for cancer therapy because it can induce apoptotic cell death in tumor cells but not normal cells...
- TRAIL-deficient mice exhibit delayed regression of retinal neovascularizationKristin E Hubert
Department of Pediatrics, Casey Eye Institute, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, Oregon 97239 4197, USA
Am J Pathol 175:2697-708. 2009While it is well established that tumor necrosis factor-related apoptosis-inducing ligand (TRAIL) induces apoptosis in various cell types, the role of TRAIL in regulation of retinal neovascularization (NV) has not been described...
- The cytolytic molecules Fas ligand and TRAIL are required for murine thymic graft-versus-host diseaseIl Kang Na
Department of Medicine and Immunology, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, 1275 York Avenue, New York, NY 10065, USA
J Clin Invest 120:343-56. 2010..Donor alloreactive T cells used the cognate proteins FasL and TNF-related apoptosis-inducing ligand (TRAIL) (but not TNF or perforin) to mediate tGVHD, thereby damaging thymic stromal cells, cytoarchitecture, and function...
- Peritumoral administration of granulocyte colony-stimulating factor induces an apoptotic response on a murine mammary adenocarcinomaJulieta Marino
Instituto de Química y Fisicoquímica Biológicas UBA CONICET, Facultad de Farmacia y Bioquimica, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Cancer Biol Ther 8:1737-43. 2009..Western blot analysis of tumor lysates showed that G-CSF treatment increased the amount of Fas-L, TRAIL and Bax proteins, whereas decreased the expression of procaspase 3 and Bcl-2...
- Interferon-induced TRAIL-independent cell death in DNase II-/- embryosYusuke Kitahara
Department of Medical Chemistry, Kyoto University Graduate School of Medicine, Yoshida Konoe, Kyoto, Japan
Eur J Immunol 40:2590-8. 2010..During this death process, a set of genes was strongly activated, one of which encoded TRAIL, a death ligand...
- Neutralization of tumor necrosis factor-related apoptosis-inducing ligand reduces spinal cord injury damage in miceGiuseppina Cantarella
Department of Experimental and Clinical Pharmacology, University of Catania School of Medicine, Catania, Italy
Neuropsychopharmacology 35:1302-14. 2010..In this study, the function of the proapoptotic cytokine tumor necrosis factor-related apoptosis-inducing ligand (TRAIL) in SCI-induced damage was investigated in the mouse...
- Lung epithelial apoptosis in influenza virus pneumonia: the role of macrophage-expressed TNF-related apoptosis-inducing ligandSusanne Herold
University of Giessen Lung Center, Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine and Infectious Diseases, Justus Liebig University, Giessen, Germany
J Exp Med 205:3065-77. 2008..epithelial cell (AEC) apoptosis by the release of tumor necrosis factor-related apoptosis-inducing ligand (TRAIL) in a murine model of influenza-induced pneumonia...
- Deficiency of GMDS leads to escape from NK cell-mediated tumor surveillance through modulation of TRAIL signalingKenta Moriwaki
Department of Molecular Biochemistry and Clinical Investigation, Osaka University Graduate School of Medicine, Osaka, Japan
Gastroenterology 137:188-98, 198.e1-2. 2009Tumor necrosis factor-related apoptosis-inducing ligand (TRAIL) promotes apoptosis in cancer cells, but not normal cells, and is critically involved in tumor rejection through natural killer (NK) cell-mediated immune surveillance...
- Extreme lymphoproliferative disease and fatal autoimmune thrombocytopenia in FasL and TRAIL double-deficient miceLisa M Sedger
Institute for Biotechnology of Infectious Disease, and Department of Medical and Molecular Biosciences, University of Technology, Sydney
Blood 115:3258-68. 2010To delineate the relative roles of tumor necrosis factor-related apoptosis-inducing ligand (TRAIL) and Fas ligand in lymphocyte biology and lymphoproliferative disease, we generated mice defective in both molecules. B6...
- Tumor necrosis factor-related apoptosis-inducing ligand and vascular calcificationMaud Chasseraud
French National Institute of Health and Medical Research INSERM, ERI 12 EA 4292 and University of Picardie Jules Verne, Amiens, France
Ther Apher Dial 15:140-6. 2011..Given that OPG can bind the pro-apoptotic tumor necrosis factor-related apoptosis-inducing ligand (TRAIL), we hypothesized that the TRAIL protein is involved in the formation of vascular calcification both in vitro and ..
- Resveratrol enhances antitumor activity of TRAIL in prostate cancer xenografts through activation of FOXO transcription factorSuthakar Ganapathy
Division of Radiation Biology, Department of Radiation Oncology, The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, Greehey Children s Cancer Research Institute, San Antonio, Texas, United States of America
PLoS ONE 5:e15627. 2010..We have recently shown that resveratrol can enhance the apoptosis-inducing potential of TRAIL in prostate cancer cells through multiple mechanisms in vitro...
- Targeted expression of tumor necrosis factor-related apoptosis-inducing ligand TRAIL in skin protects mice against chemical carcinogenesisValerie Kedinger
Department of Cancer Biology, Institut Génétique de Biologie Moléculaire et Cellulaire IGBMC, France
Mol Cancer 10:34. 2011Gene ablation studies have revealed that tumor necrosis factor-related apoptosis-inducing ligand (TRAIL, Apo2L, TNFSF10) plays a crucial role in tumor surveillance, as TRAIL-deficient mice exhibit an increased sensitivity to different ..
- TRADD is critical for resistance to TRAIL-induced cell death through NF-κB activationJoo Young Kim
Institute for Medical Sciences, Ajou University School of Medicine, Suwon, Republic of Korea
FEBS Lett 585:2144-50. 2011One major obstacle in the clinical application of TRAIL as a cancer therapeutic agent is the acquisition of TRAIL resistance. We found that deficiency of TRADD sensitizes cells to TRAIL-induced apoptosis...
- The role of TRADD in TRAIL-induced apoptosis and signalingXiumei Cao
Cell and Cancer Biology Branch, Center for Cancer Research, National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
FASEB J 25:1353-8. 2011Tumor necrosis factor (TNF)-related apoptosis-inducing ligand (TRAIL) is a member of the TNF superfamily...
- Systemic delivery of TNF-related apoptosis-inducing ligand (TRAIL) elevates levels of tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinase-1 (TIMP-1) and prevents type 1 diabetes in nonobese diabetic miceSoojeong Kang
Department of Pharmacology, Dong A University College of Medicine, Busan, South Korea
Endocrinology 151:5638-46. 2010Recent studies have demonstrated that TNF-related apoptosis-inducing ligand (TRAIL) is a modulator of the immune response...
- TRAIL/DR5 plays a critical role in NK cell-mediated negative regulation of dendritic cell cross-priming of T cellsMitsuhiro Iyori
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Dartmouth Medical School, Lebanon, NH 03756, USA
J Immunol 187:3087-95. 2011..In this study, enhanced Ag presentation was observed in draining lymph nodes in TRAIL(-/-) and DR5(-/-) mice compared with that of wild-type mice...
- Puma and Trail/Dr5 pathways control radiation-induced apoptosis in distinct populations of testicular progenitorsMathieu Coureuil
Laboratory of Gametogenesis, Apoptosis and Genotoxicity, INSERM, U967 Institute of Cellular and Molecular Radiobiology, CEA, Univ Paris VII, Fontenay aux Roses, France
PLoS ONE 5:e12134. 2010..b>Trail-/- or Puma-/- spermatogonia display a reduced sensitivity to radiation-induced apoptosis...
- TNF-related apoptosis-inducing ligand (TRAIL) protects against diabetes and atherosclerosis in Apoe ⁻/⁻ miceB A Di Bartolo
Centre for Vascular Research, University of New South Wales, Sydney, NSW 2052, Australia
Diabetologia 54:3157-67. 2011TNF-related apoptosis-inducing ligand (TRAIL) is implicated in the regulation of diabetes and is reduced in patients with cardiovascular disease...
- CD11c+ dendritic cells and B cells contribute to the tumoricidal activity of anti-DR5 antibody therapy in established tumorsNicole M Haynes
Cancer Immunology Program, Trescowthick Laboratories, Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre, East Melbourne, Australia
J Immunol 185:532-41. 2010..In this study, using the first described C57BL/6 (B6) TRAIL-sensitive experimental tumor models, we have characterized the innate and adaptive immune components involved in ..
- The modular nature of apoptotic signaling proteinsK Hofmann
MEMOREC Stoffel GmbH, Koln, Germany
Cell Mol Life Sci 55:1113-28. 1999....
- TRAIL inhibits osteoclastic differentiation by counteracting RANKL-dependent p27Kip1 accumulation in pre-osteoclast precursorsGiorgio Zauli
Department of Biomedicine, University of Trieste, Trieste, Italy
J Cell Physiol 214:117-25. 2008Experimental evidences indicate that the TNF family member TNF-related apoptosis inducing ligand (TRAIL) might be involved in modulating osteoclastic differentiation...
- Selective inhibition of IkappaB kinase sensitizes mantle cell lymphoma B cells to TRAIL by decreasing cellular FLIP levelGaël Roué
Hematopathology Unit, Hospital Clinic, Institut d Investigacions Biomediques August Pi i Sunyer, University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
J Immunol 178:1923-30. 2007..MCL) cells to apoptosis, we have analyzed their sensitivity to the extrinsic apoptotic signal triggered by TRAIL. We show here that TRAIL can trigger apoptosis in a majority of MCL cell lines and primary cultures, irrespective ..
- TNF-dependent overexpression of CCL21 is an underlying cause of progressive lymphoaccumulation in generalized lymphoproliferative disorderFlorian Wiede
Interdisziplinäres Zentrum für Klinische Forschung der Universität Erlangen Nürnberg, Erlangen, Germany
Eur J Immunol 37:351-7. 2007..gld/gld and B6.gld/gld.TRAIL-/- mice. In contrast, a distinct consequence of TNF deficiency in B6...
- Protective effects of neurotrophic factors on tumor necrosis factor-related apoptosis-inducing ligand (TRAIL)-mediated apoptosis of murine adrenal chromaffin cell line tsAM5DTomiyasu Murata
Department of Analytical Neurobiology, Faculty of Pharmacy, Meijo University, Tempaku, Nagoya 468 8503, Japan
J Biol Chem 281:22503-16. 2006..genes, death receptor 5 (DR5), which is the receptor for tumor necrosis factor-related apoptosis-inducing ligand (TRAIL), showed the highest level of induction...
- The generation of protective memory-like CD8+ T cells during homeostatic proliferation requires CD4+ T cellsSara E Hamilton
Department of Laboratory Medicine and Pathology, University of Minnesota Medical Center, Center for Immunology, Minneapolis, Minnesota 55454, USA
Nat Immunol 7:475-81. 2006..The necessity for CD4 help was overcome, however, if the HP-memory CD8(+) T cells lacked expression of TRAIL (tumor necrosis factor-related apoptosis-inducing ligand; also called Apo-2L)...
- NKG2D function protects the host from tumor initiationMark J Smyth
Cancer Immunology Program, Trescowthick Laboratories, Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre, East Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
J Exp Med 202:583-8. 2005..These findings suggest an important early role for the NKG2D in controlling and shaping tumor formation...
- TNF-related apoptosis-inducing ligand (TRAIL) blocks osteoclastic differentiation induced by RANKL plus M-CSFGiorgio Zauli
Department of Normal Human Morphology, University of Trieste, Italy
Blood 104:2044-50. 2004..In this study, we have investigated the effect of TNF-related apoptosis-inducing ligand (TRAIL), a member of the TNF superfamily of cytokines, in osteoclastogenesis, by using human peripheral blood mononuclear ..
- Mapping a locus for susceptibility to HIV-1-associated nephropathy to mouse chromosome 3Ali G Gharavi
Howard Hughes Medical Institute and Department of Genetics, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06520, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 101:2488-93. 2004..These findings demonstrate a strong genetic influence on HIVAN and demonstrate a major renal disease susceptibility locus on mouse chromosome 3A1-3...
- Roles of tumor necrosis factor-related apoptosis-inducing ligand in corneal transplantationLixin Xie
Shandong Eye Institute and Hospital, Qingdao, China
Transplantation 76:1556-9. 2003..Tumor necrosis factor-related apoptosis-inducing ligand (TRAIL) can selectively induce apoptosis of tumor cells without significant toxicity and inhibit autoimmune disease...
- Requirement of p53 targets in chemosensitization of colonic carcinoma to death ligand therapyShulin Wang
Laboratory of Molecular Oncology and Cell Cycle Regulation, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Department of Medicine, and Abramson Cancer Center, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 100:15095-100. 2003Tumor necrosis factor-related apoptosis-inducing ligand (TRAIL) exhibits specific tumoricidal activity and is under development for cancer therapy...
- Tumor necrosis factor-related apoptosis-inducing ligand-mediated apoptosis is an important endogenous mechanism for resistance to liver metastases in murine renal cancerNaoko Seki
Laboratory of Experimental Immunology, Center for Cancer Research, National Cancer Institute at Frederick, Frederick, Maryland 21702 1201, USA
Cancer Res 63:207-13. 2003Recent reports have suggested that the death ligand tumor necrosis factor-related apoptosis-inducing ligand (TRAIL) may partially limit the formation of hepatic metastases of a variety of mouse tumors, and the major source of TRAIL in ..
- TRAIL: a mechanism of tumor surveillance in an immune privileged siteHae Ock Lee
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
J Immunol 169:4739-44. 2002b>TRAIL is a recently described member of the TNF superfamily. The ability of TRAIL to induce apoptosis in a large number of tumors has stimulated interest in TRAIL as a tumor therapeutic agent...
- Lyssavirus matrix protein induces apoptosis by a TRAIL-dependent mechanism involving caspase-8 activationRaid Kassis
Laboratoire de la Rage, Institut Pasteur, 25 rue du Docteur Roux, 75724 Paris Cedex 15, France
J Virol 78:6543-55. 2004..demonstrate that the early induction of apoptosis in a model of lyssavirus-infected neuroblastoma cells involves a TRAIL-dependent pathway requiring the activation of caspase-8 but not of caspase-9 or caspase-10...
- Bone marrow B cell apoptosis during in vivo influenza virus infection requires TNF-alpha and lymphotoxin-alphaLisa M Sedger
Department of Molecular Immunology, Immunex, Seattle, WA 98101, USA
J Immunol 169:6193-201. 2002..Thus, TNF-alpha and lymphotoxin-alpha are required for loss of BM B lineage cells during respiratory infection with influenza virus...
- TRAIL deficiency does not rescue impaired CD8+ T cell memory generated in the absence of CD4+ T cell helpJilian A Sacks
Department of Immunology and Howard Hughes Medical Institute, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
J Immunol 180:4570-6. 2008..We investigated the role of the proapoptotic molecule TRAIL in this defect...
- TRAIL mediates liver injury by the innate immune system in the bile duct-ligated mouseAlisan Kahraman
Miles and Shirley Fitterman Center for Digestive Diseases, Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Hepatology 47:1317-30. 2008The contribution of tumor necrosis factor-related apoptosis-inducing ligand (TRAIL), a death ligand expressed by cells of the innate immune system, to cholestatic liver injury has not been explored...
- Ribosomal protein S6 is a selective mediator of TRAIL-apoptotic signalingY J Jeon
School of Biological Science Bio Max Institute, Seoul National University, Seoul, Korea
Oncogene 27:4344-52. 2008b>TRAIL (tumor necrosis factor-related apoptosis-inducing ligand) is a potent inducer of apoptosis in tumor cells and holds a promise as a therapeutic agent against cancer...
- Activation of tumor-specific CD8+ T Cells after intratumoral Ad5-TRAIL/CpG oligodeoxynucleotide combination therapyRebecca L Vanoosten
Department of Urology and Interdisciplinary Graduate Program in Immunology, University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa 52242 1089, USA
Cancer Res 67:11980-90. 2007..These results collectively show that local treatment with Ad5-mTRAIL and CpG ODN can augment tumor antigen cross-presentation resulting in T-cell proliferation, enhanced CTL activity, and increased animal survival...
- Canonical nuclear factor kappaB pathway inhibition blocks myeloma cell growth and induces apoptosis in strong synergy with TRAILMathilde Romagnoli
INSERM, UMR 601, France
Clin Cancer Res 13:6010-8. 2007..In this study, we specifically address the role of NF-kappaB blockade in mediated antimyeloma activity using the IkappaB kinase-2 pharmacologic inhibitor, AS602868...
- Stimulation of inducible nitric oxide synthase expression by beta interferon increases necrotic death of macrophages upon Listeria monocytogenes infectionHeather Zwaferink
Max F Perutz Laboratories, Department of Microbiology and Immunobiology, University of Vienna, Dr Bohr Gasse 9 4, A1030 Vienna, Austria
Infect Immun 76:1649-56. 2008..that interferon-upregulated caspase activation or other interferon-inducible, death-associated proteins, including TRAIL, protein kinase R, and p53, were not necessary for cell death...
- Tumor necrosis factor-related, apoptosis-inducing ligand supports growth of mouse mastocytoma tumors by killing tumor-infiltrating macrophagesAlessandro Strebel
Institute for Medical Microbiology, University of Basel, Petersplatz 10, 4003 Basel, Switzerland
Int J Cancer 100:627-34. 2002b>TRAIL antisense transfected mastocytoma cells (R56VTas) injected into syngeneic DBA/2 mice demonstrate significantly delayed tumor growth compared to mock transfected cells (R56VTMo)...
- IL-15 as a mediator of CD4+ help for CD8+ T cell longevity and avoidance of TRAIL-mediated apoptosisSangKon Oh
Vaccine Branch and Metabolism Branch, Center for Cancer Research, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892 1578, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105:5201-6. 2008..and defective secondary CD8+ T cell responses because of tumor necrosis factor-related apoptosis-inducing ligand (TRAIL)-mediated apoptosis...
- Critical roles of tumor necrosis factor-related apoptosis-inducing ligand in type 1 diabetesSalah Eddine Lamhamedi-Cherradi
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, School of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
Diabetes 52:2274-8. 2003Tumor necrosis factor (TNF)-related apoptosis-inducing ligand (TRAIL) selectively induces apoptosis of tumor cells but not most normal cells. Its roles in normal nontransformed tissues are not clear...
- Normal thymocyte negative selection in TRAIL-deficient miceErika Cretney
Cancer Immunology Program, Trescowthick Laboratories, Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre, Locked Bag 1, A Beckett St, Melbourne, Victoria 8006, Australia
J Exp Med 198:491-6. 2003..A recent report suggested that TRAIL was a critical factor in this process, a result that does not fit well with previous studies that excluded a role ..
- Blockade of tumor necrosis factor-related apoptosis-inducing ligand exacerbates type 1 diabetes in NOD miceQing Sheng Mi
Autoimmunity Diabetes Group, The John P Robarts Research Institute, London, Ontario, Canada
Diabetes 52:1967-75. 2003Tumor necrosis factor (TNF)-related apoptosis-inducing ligand (TRAIL) is expressed in different tissues and cells, including pancreas and lymphocytes, and can induce apoptosis in various tumor cells but not in most normal cells...
- Expression of immunoregulatory molecules by thyrocytes protects nonobese diabetic-H2h4 mice from developing autoimmune thyroiditisMami Nakahara
Department of Medical Gene Technology, Divisions of ClinicalPharmaceutics, Atomic Bomb Disease Institute, Nagasaki University Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, Nagasaki, Japan
Endocrinology 150:1545-51. 2009..for the feasibility of this approach, the immunoregulatory molecules, TNF-related apoptosis-inducing ligand (TRAIL) and indoleamine 2, 3-dioxygenase, were expressed in the thyroid glands using adenovirus vector in nonobese ..
- Embryonic mouse submandibular salivary gland morphogenesis and the TNF/TNF-R1 signal transduction pathwayM Melnick
Laboratory for Developmental Genetics, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California 90089 0641, USA
Anat Rec 262:318-30. 2001..The results of these experiments indicate that the TNF/TNF-R1 signal transduction pathway plays an important role in balancing cell proliferation and apoptosis during SMG duct and presumptive acini formation...
- Involvement of cellular death in TRAIL/DR5-dependent suppression induced by CD4(+)CD25(+) regulatory T cellsX Ren
Institute for Immunobiology and Department of Immunology, Shanghai Medical College, Fudan University, Shanghai, China
Cell Death Differ 14:2076-84. 2007..In this report, tumor necrosis factor-related apoptosis inducing ligand (TRAIL)/death receptor 5 (DR5) was explored as one of the pivotal factors for the suppression and cytotoxicity induced by ..
- A chemically induced model for squamous cell carcinoma of the lung in mice: histopathology and strain susceptibilityYian Wang
Department of Surgery and the Siteman Cancer Center, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
Cancer Res 64:1647-54. 2004..Furthermore, this model can be used in determining genetic modifiers that contribute to susceptibility or resistance to lung SCC development...
- Apoptotic cells induce tolerance by generating helpless CD8+ T cells that produce TRAILThomas S Griffith
Department of Urology and Interdisciplinary Graduate Program in Immunology, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
J Immunol 178:2679-87. 2007..induced by these treatments displayed a "helpless CTL" phenotype and suppress the immune response by producing TRAIL. Animals deficient in TRAIL were resistant to tolerance induction by apoptotic cells...
- No requirement for TRAIL in intrathymic negative selectionErika Cretney
Cancer Immunology Program, Trescowthick Research Laboratories, Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre, East Melbourne, Victoria 3002, Australia
Int Immunol 20:267-76. 2008The contribution of the tumor necrosis factor-related apoptosis-inducing ligand (TRAIL) pathway to intrathymic negative selection is a controversial subject with two studies suggesting a key role for TRAIL, while others demonstrated ..
- Genomic structure and precise mapping of a thymic regulatory region on mouse chromosome 17 revealed by a c-myc transgene insertionA Lavenu
Department of Immunology, Institut Pasteur, 25 rue du Dr Roux, Paris Cedex, 75724, France
Genomics 34:381-8. 1996..Analysis of Tsil offers a unique opportunity to identify a regulatory region or a gene that might play an important role in T-cell maturation...
- Akt and 14-3-3 control a PACS-2 homeostatic switch that integrates membrane traffic with TRAIL-induced apoptosisJoseph E Aslan
Vollum Institute, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, OR 97239, USA
Mol Cell 34:497-509. 2009b>TRAIL selectively kills diseased cells in vivo, spurring interest in this death ligand as a potential therapeutic. However, many cancer cells are resistant to TRAIL, suggesting the mechanism mediating TRAIL-induced apoptosis is complex...
- CD4+ T-cell help controls CD8+ T-cell memory via TRAIL-mediated activation-induced cell deathEdith M Janssen
Division of Cellular Immunology, La Jolla Institute for Allergy and Immunology, 10355 Science Center Drive, San Diego, California 92121, USA
Nature 434:88-93. 2005..This death is mediated by tumour-necrosis factor (TNF)-related apoptosis-inducing ligand (TRAIL)...
- Constitutive pro-apoptotic molecules are differentially expressed in the fetal and adult mouse eyeVanessa Montalvo
Laboratory of Immunology, National Eye Institute, NIH, Bethesda, MD 20892 1857, USA
Curr Eye Res 34:328-32. 2009..To compare gene expression of pro-apoptotic molecules in the fetal and adult mouse eye. Materials and..
- Enforced covalent trimerization increases the activity of the TNF ligand family members TRAIL and CD95LD Berg
Department of Molecular Internal Medicine, Medical Clinic and Polyclinic II, University of Wuerzburg, Wuerzburg 97070, Germany
Cell Death Differ 14:2021-34. 2007Variants of human TRAIL (hTRAIL) and human CD95L (hCD95L), encompassing the TNF homology domain (THD), interact with the corresponding receptors and stimulate CD95 and TRAILR2 signaling after cross-linking...
- Demonstration of inflammation-induced cancer and cancer immunoediting during primary tumorigenesisJeremy B Swann
Cancer Immunology Program, Trescowthick Laboratories, Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre, St Andrews Place, East Melbourne, Victoria 3002, Australia
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105:652-6. 2008..Overall, these data not only confirm the key role that MyD88 plays in promoting tumor development but also demonstrate that inflammation-induced carcinogenesis and cancer immunoediting can indeed occur in the same mouse tumor model...
- TRAIL and KILLER are expressed and induce apoptosis in the murine preimplantation embryoJoan K Riley
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
Biol Reprod 71:871-7. 2004b>TRAIL (tumor necrosis factor [TNF]-related apoptosis-inducing ligand) and KILLER are a death-inducing ligand and receptor pair that belong to the TNF and TNF-receptor superfamilies, respectively...
- TRAIL expression is induced in both osteoblasts containing intracellular Staphylococcus aureus and uninfected osteoblasts in infected culturesMichael A Reott
FEMS Microbiol Lett 278:185-92. 2008..The present study examined the production of tumor necrosis factor-related apoptosis-inducing ligand (TRAIL) following S...
- Death receptor 5 mediated-apoptosis contributes to cholestatic liver diseaseKazuyoshi Takeda
Department of Immunology, Juntendo University School of Medicine, Hongo 2 1 1, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 8421, Japan
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105:10895-900. 2008..In this article, we show that the death signal mediated by TNF-related apoptosis-inducing ligand (TRAIL) receptor 2/death receptor 5 (DR5) may be a key regulator of cholestatic liver injury...
- The regulation of tumor immunity by NKT cellsMark Smyth; Fiscal Year: 2007..This proposal focuses clearly on a pivotal immune control mechanism that will influence many current and future immunotherapies. ..
- TRAIL-expressing Recombinant Adenovirus Based Immunotherapy for RCCTHOMAS GRIFFITH; Fiscal Year: 2009..the development of a recombinant adenoviral vector encoding the human TNF-related apoptosis-inducing ligand (TRAIL; Ad5-TRAIL) cDNA...
- Recombinant Immunotherapy for Renal Cell CarcinomaTHOMAS GRIFFITH; Fiscal Year: 2007Although many agents induce apoptosis, they are commonly associated with side effects that compromise health. TRAIL (TNF-related apoptosis-inducing ligand)/Apo-2L is generating excitement because it induces apoptosis in a wide range of ..
- TRAIL-expressing Recombinant Adenovirus Based Immunotherapy for RCCThomas S Griffith; Fiscal Year: 2010..the development of a recombinant adenoviral vector encoding the human TNF-related apoptosis-inducing ligand (TRAIL;Ad5-TRAIL) cDNA...