Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Tbx21
Description: T-box 21
Alias: TBT1, Tbet, Tblym, T-box transcription factor TBX21, T-box protein 21, T-cell-specific T-box transcription factor T-bet, transcription factor TBLYM
- Garrett W, Lord G, Punit S, Lugo Villarino G, Mazmanian S, Ito S, et al. Communicable ulcerative colitis induced by T-bet deficiency in the innate immune system. Cell. 2007;131:33-45 pubmed..These findings reveal a novel function for T-bet as a peacekeeper of host-commensal relationships and provide new perspectives on the pathophysiology of IBD. ..
- Park J, Min H, Sohn J, Kim J, Hong J, Sigrist K, et al. Restoration of T-box-containing protein expressed in T cells protects against allergen-induced asthma. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2009;123:479-85 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that T-bet expression in T cells can prevent the initiation of airway inflammation and progression of chronic inflammation and might be extrapolated to human asthma. ..
- Bettelli E, Sullivan B, Szabo S, Sobel R, Glimcher L, Kuchroo V. Loss of T-bet, but not STAT1, prevents the development of experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis. J Exp Med. 2004;200:79-87 pubmed..Although the two transcription factors, STAT1 and T-bet, both induce IFN-gamma gene transcription, our results demonstrate marked differences in their function in regulating pathogenic Th1 cell responses. ..
- Kanhere A, Hertweck A, Bhatia U, Gökmen M, Perucha E, Jackson I, et al. T-bet and GATA3 orchestrate Th1 and Th2 differentiation through lineage-specific targeting of distal regulatory elements. Nat Commun. 2012;3:1268 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, we demonstrate that both factors bind distal sites at Tbx21 and that T-bet directly activates its own expression...
- Intlekofer A, Banerjee A, Takemoto N, Gordon S, Dejong C, Shin H, et al. Anomalous type 17 response to viral infection by CD8+ T cells lacking T-bet and eomesodermin. Science. 2008;321:408-11 pubmed publisher..T-bet and Eomes, thus, ensure that CD8+ T cells adopt an appropriate course of intracellular rather than extracellular destruction. ..
- Duhen R, Glatigny S, Arbelaez C, Blair T, Oukka M, Bettelli E. Cutting edge: the pathogenicity of IFN-Î³-producing Th17 cells is independent of T-bet. J Immunol. 2013;190:4478-82 pubmed publisher..Whereas T-bet is crucial for Th1-mediated EAE, it is dispensable for Th17 cell-mediated autoimmunity. Our results suggest the existence of different epigenetic programs that regulate IFN-Î³ expression in Th1 and Th17 cells. ..
- Szabo S, Sullivan B, Stemmann C, Satoskar A, Sleckman B, Glimcher L. Distinct effects of T-bet in TH1 lineage commitment and IFN-gamma production in CD4 and CD8 T cells. Science. 2002;295:338-42 pubmed..This difference is also apparent in the function of these cell subsets. Thus, the regulation of a single cytokine, IFN-gamma, is controlled by distinct transcriptional mechanisms within the T cell lineage. ..
- Gordon S, Chaix J, Rupp L, Wu J, Madera S, Sun J, et al. The transcription factors T-bet and Eomes control key checkpoints of natural killer cell maturation. Immunity. 2012;36:55-67 pubmed publisher..These findings reveal two sequential, genetically separable checkpoints of NK cell maturation, the progression of which is metered largely by the anatomic localization of hematopoiesis. ..
- Shinohara M, Jansson M, Hwang E, Werneck M, Glimcher L, Cantor H. T-bet-dependent expression of osteopontin contributes to T cell polarization. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005;102:17101-6 pubmed..Taken together, these findings begin to delineate the genetic basis of Opn expression in T cells and further clarify the role of Opn in Th and Tc1 development. ..
- Jenne C, Enders A, Rivera R, Watson S, Bankovich A, Pereira J, et al. T-bet-dependent S1P5 expression in NK cells promotes egress from lymph nodes and bone marrow. J Exp Med. 2009;206:2469-81 pubmed publisher..This strain carries a point mutation within Tbx21 (T-bet), which generates a defective protein...
- Kondo Y, Iizuka M, Wakamatsu E, Yao Z, Tahara M, Tsuboi H, et al. Overexpression of T-bet gene regulates murine autoimmune arthritis. Arthritis Rheum. 2012;64:162-72 pubmed publisher..Unlike the B6 mice, the T-bet-Tg mice did not develop CIA. T-bet-Tg mice showed overexpression of Tbx21 and down-regulation of Rorc in CII-reactive T cells...
- Qui H, Hagymasi A, Bandyopadhyay S, St Rose M, Ramanarasimhaiah R, Menoret A, et al. CD134 plus CD137 dual costimulation induces Eomesodermin in CD4 T cells to program cytotoxic Th1 differentiation. J Immunol. 2011;187:3555-64 pubmed publisher..This mechanism might be therapeutically useful because CD134 plus CD137 dual costimulation induced CD4 T cell-dependent tumoricidal function in a mouse melanoma model. ..
- Siebler J, Wirtz S, Frenzel C, Schuchmann M, Lohse A, Galle P, et al. Cutting edge: a key pathogenic role of IL-27 in T cell- mediated hepatitis. J Immunol. 2008;180:30-3 pubmed..Taken together, these data demonstrate a key pathogenic role of IL-27 in T cell-mediated liver injury. Furthermore, in vivo blockade of IL-27 emerges as a novel potential therapy for T cell-mediated hepatitis. ..
- Oldenhove G, Bouladoux N, Wohlfert E, Hall J, Chou D, Dos Santos L, et al. Decrease of Foxp3+ Treg cell number and acquisition of effector cell phenotype during lethal infection. Immunity. 2009;31:772-86 pubmed publisher..These data reveal a mechanism for Th1 cell pathogenicity that extends beyond their proinflammatory program to limit Treg cell survival. ..
- Lazarevic V, Chen X, Shim J, Hwang E, Jang E, Bolm A, et al. T-bet represses T(H)17 differentiation by preventing Runx1-mediated activation of the gene encoding ROR?t. Nat Immunol. 2011;12:96-104 pubmed publisher..Our data reinforce the idea of master regulators that shape immune responses by simultaneously activating one genetic program while silencing the activity of competing regulators in a common progenitor cell. ..
- Neurath M, Weigmann B, Finotto S, Glickman J, Nieuwenhuis E, Iijima H, et al. The transcription factor T-bet regulates mucosal T cell activation in experimental colitis and Crohn's disease. J Exp Med. 2002;195:1129-43 pubmed..Specific targeting of this pathway may be a promising novel approach for the treatment of patients with Crohn's disease and other autoimmune diseases mediated by Th1 T lymphocytes. ..
- Powell N, Walker A, Stolarczyk E, Canavan J, Gökmen M, Marks E, et al. The transcription factor T-bet regulates intestinal inflammation mediated by interleukin-7 receptor+ innate lymphoid cells. Immunity. 2012;37:674-84 pubmed publisher..that interleukin-17A (IL-17A)-producing IL-7R?(+) innate lymphoid cells (ILCs) were potent promoters of disease in Tbx21(-/-)Rag2(-/-) ulcerative colitis (TRUC) mice...
- Pearce E, Mullen A, Martins G, Krawczyk C, Hutchins A, Zediak V, et al. Control of effector CD8+ T cell function by the transcription factor Eomesodermin. Science. 2003;302:1041-3 pubmed..We suggest that Eomesodermin is likely to complement the actions of T-bet and act as a key regulatory gene in the development of cell-mediated immunity. ..
- Furuta S, Kagami S, Tamachi T, Ikeda K, Fujiwara M, Suto A, et al. Overlapping and distinct roles of STAT4 and T-bet in the regulation of T cell differentiation and allergic airway inflammation. J Immunol. 2008;180:6656-62 pubmed..These results indicate that STAT4 not only plays an indispensable role in T-bet-independent Th1 differentiation but also is involved in the maintenance of Th17 cells and the enhancement of allergic airway inflammation. ..
- Intlekofer A, Takemoto N, Kao C, Banerjee A, Schambach F, Northrop J, et al. Requirement for T-bet in the aberrant differentiation of unhelped memory CD8+ T cells. J Exp Med. 2007;204:2015-21 pubmed..T-bet, thus, appears to function as a molecular switch between central- and effector-memory cell differentiation. Antagonism of T-bet may, therefore, represent a novel strategy to offset dysfunctional programming of memory CD8+ T cells. ..
- Mehta D, Wurster A, Weinmann A, Grusby M. NFATc2 and T-bet contribute to T-helper-cell-subset-specific regulation of IL-21 expression. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005;102:2016-21 pubmed..These data suggest that there are multiple mechanisms by which Th-cell-subset-specific cytokine genes are regulated. ..
- Miller S, Mohn S, Weinmann A. Jmjd3 and UTX play a demethylase-independent role in chromatin remodeling to regulate T-box family member-dependent gene expression. Mol Cell. 2010;40:594-605 pubmed publisher..This function for H3K27 demethylase proteins may explain their presence in differentiated cells where the epigenetic profile is already established. ..
- Phoon R, Kitching A, Odobasic D, Jones L, Semple T, Holdsworth S. T-bet deficiency attenuates renal injury in experimental crescentic glomerulonephritis. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2008;19:477-85 pubmed publisher..We conclude that T-bet directs Th1 responses that induce renal injury in experimental crescentic glomerulonephritis...
- Hwang E, Szabo S, Schwartzberg P, Glimcher L. T helper cell fate specified by kinase-mediated interaction of T-bet with GATA-3. Science. 2005;307:430-3 pubmed..These results provide a novel function for tyrosine phosphorylation of a transcription factor in specifying alternate fates of a common progenitor cell. ..
- Taqueti V, Grabie N, Colvin R, Pang H, Jarolim P, Luster A, et al. T-bet controls pathogenicity of CTLs in the heart by separable effects on migration and effector activity. J Immunol. 2006;177:5890-901 pubmed..These findings highlight the potential therapeutic benefit of targeting T-bet-regulated gene expression and CXCR3-dependent migration in immune-mediated heart disease. ..
- Liao W, Lin J, Wang L, Li P, Leonard W. Modulation of cytokine receptors by IL-2 broadly regulates differentiation into helper T cell lineages. Nat Immunol. 2011;12:551-9 pubmed publisher..Thus, IL-2 influences helper T cell differentiation by modulating the expression of cytokine receptors to help specify and maintain differentiated states. ..
- Ghoreschi K, Laurence A, Yang X, Tato C, McGeachy M, Konkel J, et al. Generation of pathogenic T(H)17 cells in the absence of TGF-Î² signalling. Nature. 2010;467:967-71 pubmed publisher..These data indicate an alternative mode for T(H)17 differentiation. Consistent with genetic data linking IL23R with autoimmunity, our findings re-emphasize the importance of IL-23 and therefore may have therapeutic implications. ..
- Stumhofer J, Laurence A, Wilson E, Huang E, Tato C, Johnson L, et al. Interleukin 27 negatively regulates the development of interleukin 17-producing T helper cells during chronic inflammation of the central nervous system. Nat Immunol. 2006;7:937-45 pubmed..Thus IL-27, a potent inhibitor of T(H)-17 cell development, may be a useful target for treating inflammatory diseases mediated by these cells. ..
- Collins P, Chang S, Henderson M, Soutto M, Davis G, McLoed A, et al. Distal regions of the human IFNG locus direct cell type-specific expression. J Immunol. 2010;185:1492-501 pubmed publisher..These results support a model whereby IFNG uses cis-regulatory elements with cell type-restricted function. ..
- Bakshi C, Malik M, Carrico P, Sellati T. T-bet deficiency facilitates airway colonization by Mycoplasma pulmonis in a murine model of asthma. J Immunol. 2006;177:1786-95 pubmed..For its part, airways exhibiting an asthmatic phenotype provide a fertile environment that promotes colonization by Mycoplasma spp. and one which is ill-equipped to kill and clear respiratory pathogens...
- Hultgren O, Verdrengh M, Tarkowski A. T-box transcription-factor-deficient mice display increased joint pathology and failure of infection control during staphylococcal arthritis. Microbes Infect. 2004;6:529-35 pubmed..aureus infection, protecting against bacterial accumulation, cachexia and septic death. Furthermore T-bet downregulates joint inflammation in the early phase of disease. ..
- Sciumè G, Hirahara K, Takahashi H, Laurence A, Villarino A, Singleton K, et al. Distinct requirements for T-bet in gut innate lymphoid cells. J Exp Med. 2012;209:2331-8 pubmed publisher..Herein, we show that T-bet (encoded by Tbx21) was highly expressed in NKp46+ ILC22, a feature shared by all NKp46+ cells present in the intestine but not by ..
- Nath N, Prasad R, Giri S, Singh A, Singh I. T-bet is essential for the progression of experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis. Immunology. 2006;118:384-91 pubmed..These data indicate that T-bet genes play a critical role in maintaining the encephalitogenic nature of CD4+ T cells in autoimmune responses during EAE disease progression. ..
- Oestreich K, Mohn S, Weinmann A. Molecular mechanisms that control the expression and activity of Bcl-6 in TH1 cells to regulate flexibility with a TFH-like gene profile. Nat Immunol. 2012;13:405-11 pubmed publisher..Thus, IL-2-signaling regulates the Bcl-6-Blimp-1 axis in T(H)1 cells to maintain flexibility with a T(FH) cell-like gene profile. ..
- Rao R, Li Q, Odunsi K, Shrikant P. The mTOR kinase determines effector versus memory CD8+ T cell fate by regulating the expression of transcription factors T-bet and Eomesodermin. Immunity. 2010;32:67-78 pubmed publisher..Targeting mTOR activity offers new opportunities to regulate CD8+ T cell-mediated immunity. ..
- Robbins S, Tessmer M, Van Kaer L, Brossay L. Direct effects of T-bet and MHC class I expression, but not STAT1, on peripheral NK cell maturation. Eur J Immunol. 2005;35:757-65 pubmed
- Finotto S, Neurath M, Glickman J, Qin S, Lehr H, Green F, et al. Development of spontaneous airway changes consistent with human asthma in mice lacking T-bet. Science. 2002;295:336-8 pubmed..Thus, T-bet deficiency, in the absence of allergen exposure, induces a murine phenotype reminiscent of both acute and chronic human asthma. ..
- Miller S, Huang A, Miazgowicz M, Brassil M, Weinmann A. Coordinated but physically separable interaction with H3K27-demethylase and H3K4-methyltransferase activities are required for T-box protein-mediated activation of developmental gene expression. Genes Dev. 2008;22:2980-93 pubmed publisher..These novel mechanisms for T-box-mediated epigenetic regulation are essential, because point mutations that disrupt these interactions are found in a diverse array of human developmental genetic diseases. ..
- Das J, Ren G, Zhang L, Roberts A, Zhao X, Bothwell A, et al. Transforming growth factor beta is dispensable for the molecular orchestration of Th17 cell differentiation. J Exp Med. 2009;206:2407-16 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these data provide evidence that TGF-beta is not directly required for the molecular orchestration of Th17 cell differentiation. ..
- Mullen A, Hutchins A, High F, Lee H, Sykes K, Chodosh L, et al. Hlx is induced by and genetically interacts with T-bet to promote heritable T(H)1 gene induction. Nat Immunol. 2002;3:652-8 pubmed..These findings suggest that heritable states of gene expression might be maintained by continued expression of the inducing factor or by a mechanism that confers a stable imprint of the induced state. ..
- Garrett W, Punit S, Gallini C, Michaud M, Zhang D, Sigrist K, et al. Colitis-associated colorectal cancer driven by T-bet deficiency in dendritic cells. Cancer Cell. 2009;16:208-19 pubmed publisher..TRUC colitis-associated colorectal cancer resembles the human disease and provides ample opportunity to probe how inflammation drives colorectal cancer development and to test preventative and therapeutic strategies preclinically. ..
- Cruz Guilloty F, Pipkin M, Djuretic I, Levanon D, Lotem J, Lichtenheld M, et al. Runx3 and T-box proteins cooperate to establish the transcriptional program of effector CTLs. J Exp Med. 2009;206:51-9 pubmed publisher..Our data point to the existence of an elaborate transcriptional network in which Runx3 initially induces and then cooperates with T-box transcription factors to regulate gene transcription in differentiating CTLs. ..
- Lugo Villarino G, Maldonado Lopez R, Possemato R, Penaranda C, Glimcher L. T-bet is required for optimal production of IFN-gamma and antigen-specific T cell activation by dendritic cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2003;100:7749-54 pubmed..The rapid up-regulation of T-bet by IFN-gamma in DCs coupled with a function for DC-derived IFN-gamma in T cell activation may constitute a positive feedback loop to maximize type 1 immunity. ..
- Kiwamoto T, Ishii Y, Morishima Y, Yoh K, Maeda A, Ishizaki K, et al. Transcription factors T-bet and GATA-3 regulate development of airway remodeling. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2006;174:142-51 pubmed..Overall, the results indicate that development of airway remodeling is regulated by the lung Th1/Th2 bias induced by GATA-3 and T-bet. ..
- Ishizaki K, Yamada A, Yoh K, Nakano T, Shimohata H, Maeda A, et al. Th1 and type 1 cytotoxic T cells dominate responses in T-bet overexpression transgenic mice that develop contact dermatitis. J Immunol. 2007;178:605-12 pubmed..These results suggest that the level of expression of T-bet might play an important role in the development of contact dermatitis and that these Tg mice should be a useful model for contact dermatitis. ..
- Kao C, Oestreich K, Paley M, Crawford A, Angelosanto J, Ali M, et al. Transcription factor T-bet represses expression of the inhibitory receptor PD-1 and sustains virus-specific CD8+ T cell responses during chronic infection. Nat Immunol. 2011;12:663-71 pubmed publisher..Persistent antigenic stimulation caused downregulation of T-bet, which resulted in more severe exhaustion of CD8(+) T cells. Our observations suggest therapeutic opportunities involving higher T-bet expression during chronic infection...
- Finotto S, Hausding M, Doganci A, Maxeiner J, Lehr H, Luft C, et al. Asthmatic changes in mice lacking T-bet are mediated by IL-13. Int Immunol. 2005;17:993-1007 pubmed..These data highlight a T-bet-directed function for IL-13 in controlling lung remodeling that is both dependent on and independent of its interaction with TGF-beta in the asthmatic airway. ..
- Sullivan B, Juedes A, Szabo S, von Herrath M, Glimcher L. Antigen-driven effector CD8 T cell function regulated by T-bet. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2003;100:15818-23 pubmed..Furthermore, mice lacking T-bet responded poorly to infection with lymphocytic choriomeningitis virus. T-bet is a key player in the generation of type 1 immunity, in both Th and T cytotoxic cells...
- El Behi M, Ciric B, Dai H, Yan Y, Cullimore M, Safavi F, et al. The encephalitogenicity of T(H)17 cells is dependent on IL-1- and IL-23-induced production of the cytokine GM-CSF. Nat Immunol. 2011;12:568-75 pubmed publisher..Such cross-regulation of IL-23 and GM-CSF explains the similar pattern of resistance to autoimmunity when either of the two cytokines is absent and identifies T(H)17 cells as a crucial source of GM-CSF in autoimmune inflammation. ..
- Szabo S, Kim S, Costa G, Zhang X, Fathman C, Glimcher L. A novel transcription factor, T-bet, directs Th1 lineage commitment. Cell. 2000;100:655-69 pubmed..Thus, T-bet initiates Th1 lineage development from naive Thp cells both by activating Th1 genetic programs and by repressing the opposing Th2 programs. ..
- Yang Y, Ochando J, Bromberg J, Ding Y. Identification of a distant T-bet enhancer responsive to IL-12/Stat4 and IFNgamma/Stat1 signals. Blood. 2007;110:2494-500 pubmed..Together, we provide a novel mechanism for T-bet regulation, and suggest that IL-12/Stat4/T-bet play an important role in CD8 effector responses. ..
- Juedes A, Rodrigo E, Togher L, Glimcher L, Von Herrath M. T-bet controls autoaggressive CD8 lymphocyte responses in type 1 diabetes. J Exp Med. 2004;199:1153-62 pubmed..This observation points toward a therapeutic opportunity for the treatment of T1D and other autoimmune disorders. ..
- Xu J, Yang Y, Qiu G, Lal G, Wu Z, Levy D, et al. c-Maf regulates IL-10 expression during Th17 polarization. J Immunol. 2009;182:6226-36 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these data reveal a novel role for c-Maf in regulating T effector development, and they suggest that TGFbeta may antagonize Th17 immunity by IL-10 production through c-Maf induction. ..
- Veiga P, Gallini C, Beal C, Michaud M, Delaney M, DuBois A, et al. Bifidobacterium animalis subsp. lactis fermented milk product reduces inflammation by altering a niche for colitogenic microbes. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:18132-7 pubmed publisher..lactis-containing fermented milk product, and therefore this model provides a framework for evaluating and optimizing probiotic-based functional foods...
- Underhill G, Zisoulis D, Kolli K, Ellies L, Marth J, Kansas G. A crucial role for T-bet in selectin ligand expression in T helper 1 (Th1) cells. Blood. 2005;106:3867-73 pubmed
- Buono C, Binder C, Stavrakis G, Witztum J, Glimcher L, Lichtman A. T-bet deficiency reduces atherosclerosis and alters plaque antigen-specific immune responses. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005;102:1596-601 pubmed..These findings establish that T cell subset differentiation influences both T cell and antibody responses that modulate atherosclerosis, and validate the therapeutic goal of skewing T responses to atherosclerosis-associated antigens. ..
- Yeh W, McWilliams I, Harrington L. Autoreactive Tbet-positive CD4 T cells develop independent of classic Th1 cytokine signaling during experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis. J Immunol. 2011;187:4998-5006 pubmed publisher..principal Th1 cytokine IFN-? does not appear necessary for disease, but the key Th1-associated transcription factor Tbet has been reported to be essential for disease development...
- Balasubramani A, Shibata Y, Crawford G, Baldwin A, Hatton R, Weaver C. Modular utilization of distal cis-regulatory elements controls Ifng gene expression in T cells activated by distinct stimuli. Immunity. 2010;33:35-47 pubmed publisher..These results support a model of Ifng regulation in which distal cis-regulatory elements differentially recruit key transcription factors in a modular fashion to initiate gene transcription induced by distinct activation signals. ..
- Usui T, Nishikomori R, Kitani A, Strober W. GATA-3 suppresses Th1 development by downregulation of Stat4 and not through effects on IL-12Rbeta2 chain or T-bet. Immunity. 2003;18:415-28 pubmed..These findings reassert that Stat4 signaling is a central element of Th1/Th2 development. ..
- Zhu J, Jankovic D, Oler A, Wei G, Sharma S, Hu G, et al. The transcription factor T-bet is induced by multiple pathways and prevents an endogenous Th2 cell program during Th1 cell responses. Immunity. 2012;37:660-73 pubmed publisher..Our study revealed redundancy and synergy among several Th1 cell-inducing pathways in regulating the expression of T-bet and IFN-Î³, and a critical role of T-bet in suppressing an endogenous Th2 cell-associated program. ..
- Hegazy A, Peine M, Helmstetter C, Panse I, Fröhlich A, Bergthaler A, et al. Interferons direct Th2 cell reprogramming to generate a stable GATA-3(+)T-bet(+) cell subset with combined Th2 and Th1 cell functions. Immunity. 2010;32:116-28 pubmed publisher..Stable coexpression of GATA-3 and T-bet provides a molecular concept for the long-term coexistence of Th2 and Th1 cell lineage characteristics in single memory T cells. ..
- Nakayamada S, Kanno Y, Takahashi H, Jankovic D, Lu K, Johnson T, et al. Early Th1 cell differentiation is marked by a Tfh cell-like transition. Immunity. 2011;35:919-31 pubmed publisher..Our data argue that Tfh and Th1 cells share a transitional stage through the signal mediated by STAT4, which promotes both phenotypes. However, T-bet represses Tfh cell functionalities, promoting full Th1 cell differentiation. ..
- Guo S, Cobb D, Smeltz R. T-bet inhibits the in vivo differentiation of parasite-specific CD4+ Th17 cells in a T cell-intrinsic manner. J Immunol. 2009;182:6179-86 pubmed publisher..Infection of Tbx21(-/-) mice led to normal, unimpaired development of Ag-specific CD4(+) T cells producing IFN-gamma...
- Esensten J, Lee M, Glimcher L, Bluestone J. T-bet-deficient NOD mice are protected from diabetes due to defects in both T cell and innate immune system function. J Immunol. 2009;183:75-82 pubmed publisherThe transcription factor T-bet (Tbx21) is critical for Th1 polarization of CD4(+) T cells. Genetic deletion of Tbx21 can cause either exacerbation or attenuation of different autoimmune diseases in animal models...
- Matsui M, Moriya O, Yoshimoto T, Akatsuka T. T-bet is required for protection against vaccinia virus infection. J Virol. 2005;79:12798-806 pubmed
- Harrington L, Hatton R, Mangan P, Turner H, Murphy T, Murphy K, et al. Interleukin 17-producing CD4+ effector T cells develop via a lineage distinct from the T helper type 1 and 2 lineages. Nat Immunol. 2005;6:1123-32 pubmed..These findings provide a basis for understanding how inhibition of IFN-gamma signaling enhances development of pathogenic T(H)-17 effector cells that can exacerbate autoimmunity. ..
- Faedo A, Ficara F, Ghiani M, Aiuti A, Rubenstein J, Bulfone A. Developmental expression of the T-box transcription factor T-bet/Tbx21 during mouse embryogenesis. Mech Dev. 2002;116:157-60 pubmed..expression pattern of a new member of the Tbr1 subfamily of T-box genes; this gene has been recently named T-bet/Tbx21 (Genomics 70 (2000) 41; Cell 17 (2000) 655; Science 292 (2001) 1907; Science 295 (2002) 338)...
- Wang J, Fathman J, Lugo Villarino G, Scimone L, von Andrian U, Dorfman D, et al. Transcription factor T-bet regulates inflammatory arthritis through its function in dendritic cells. J Clin Invest. 2006;116:414-21 pubmedThe transcription factor T-bet (Tbx21) plays a major role in adaptive immunity and is required for optimal IFN-gamma production by DCs. Here we demonstrate an essential function for T-bet in DCs in controlling inflammatory arthritis...
- Intlekofer A, Takemoto N, Wherry E, Longworth S, Northrup J, Palanivel V, et al. Effector and memory CD8+ T cell fate coupled by T-bet and eomesodermin. Nat Immunol. 2005;6:1236-44 pubmed..Therefore, these key transcription factors link the long-term renewal of memory CD8(+) T cells to their characteristic effector potency. ..
- Park H, Li Z, Yang X, Chang S, Nurieva R, Wang Y, et al. A distinct lineage of CD4 T cells regulates tissue inflammation by producing interleukin 17. Nat Immunol. 2005;6:1133-41 pubmed..Thus, IL-17 expression characterizes a unique T helper lineage that regulates tissue inflammation. ..
- Pipkin M, Sacks J, Cruz Guilloty F, Lichtenheld M, Bevan M, Rao A. Interleukin-2 and inflammation induce distinct transcriptional programs that promote the differentiation of effector cytolytic T cells. Immunity. 2010;32:79-90 pubmed publisher..Thus, inflammation influences both effector and memory CTL differentiation, whereas persistent IL-2 stimulation promotes effector at the expense of memory CTL development. ..
- Matsuda J, Zhang Q, Ndonye R, Richardson S, Howell A, Gapin L. T-bet concomitantly controls migration, survival, and effector functions during the development of Valpha14i NKT cells. Blood. 2006;107:2797-805 pubmed
- Joshi N, Cui W, Chandele A, Lee H, Urso D, Hagman J, et al. Inflammation directs memory precursor and short-lived effector CD8(+) T cell fates via the graded expression of T-bet transcription factor. Immunity. 2007;27:281-95 pubmed..These results elucidate a mechanism by which the innate immune system sets the relative amounts of a lineage-determining transcription factor in activated CD8(+) T cells and, correspondingly, regulates their memory cell potential. ..