Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Sycp3
Description: synaptonemal complex protein 3
Alias: Cor1, Scp3, synaptonemal complex protein 3, SCP-3
- Wong J, Alon N, McKerlie C, Huang J, Meyn M, Buchwald M. Targeted disruption of exons 1 to 6 of the Fanconi Anemia group A gene leads to growth retardation, strain-specific microphthalmia, meiotic defects and primordial germ cell hypoplasia. Hum Mol Genet. 2003;12:2063-76 pubmed..Taken together, our results suggest that the FA pathway plays a role in the maintenance of reproductive germ cells and in meiotic recombination. ..
- Schramm S, Fraune J, Naumann R, Hernández Hernández A, Hoog C, Cooke H, et al. A novel mouse synaptonemal complex protein is essential for loading of central element proteins, recombination, and fertility. PLoS Genet. 2011;7:e1002088 pubmed publisher..We conclude that SYCE3 enables chromosome loading of the other CE-specific proteins, which in turn would promote synapsis between homologous chromosomes...
- Maatouk D, Kellam L, Mann M, Lei H, Li E, Bartolomei M, et al. DNA methylation is a primary mechanism for silencing postmigratory primordial germ cell genes in both germ cell and somatic cell lineages. Development. 2006;133:3411-8 pubmed..Here, we show that the postmigratory germ cell-specific genes Mvh, Dazl and Scp3 are demethylated in germ cells, but not in somatic cells...
- Kneitz B, Cohen P, Avdievich E, Zhu L, Kane M, Hou H, et al. MutS homolog 4 localization to meiotic chromosomes is required for chromosome pairing during meiosis in male and female mice. Genes Dev. 2000;14:1085-97 pubmed..meiosis is initiated in Msh4 mutant male and female mice, as indicated by the chromosomal localization of RAD51 and COR1 during leptonema/zygonema, the chromosomes fail to undergo normal pairing...
- Parra M, Viera A, Gómez R, Page J, Benavente R, Santos J, et al. Involvement of the cohesin Rad21 and SCP3 in monopolar attachment of sister kinetochores during mouse meiosis I. J Cell Sci. 2004;117:1221-34 pubmedb>SCP3 is a meiosis-specific structural protein appearing at axial elements and lateral elements of the synaptonemal complex...
- Soper S, van der Heijden G, Hardiman T, Goodheart M, Martin S, de Boer P, et al. Mouse maelstrom, a component of nuage, is essential for spermatogenesis and transposon repression in meiosis. Dev Cell. 2008;15:285-97 pubmed publisher..This study demonstrates that MAEL, a nuage component, is indispensable for the silencing of TEs and identifies the initiation of meiosis as an important step in TE control in the male germline. ..
- Bowles J, Knight D, Smith C, Wilhelm D, Richman J, Mamiya S, et al. Retinoid signaling determines germ cell fate in mice. Science. 2006;312:596-600 pubmed..Thus, precise regulation of retinoid levels during fetal gonad development provides the molecular control mechanism that specifies germ cell fate. ..
- Holloway J, Mohan S, Balmus G, Sun X, Modzelewski A, Borst P, et al. Mammalian BTBD12 (SLX4) protects against genomic instability during mammalian spermatogenesis. PLoS Genet. 2011;7:e1002094 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these data indicate that BTBD12 functions throughout gametogenesis to maintain genome stability, possibly by co-ordinating repair processes and/or by linking DNA repair events to the cell cycle via ATM...
- Hamer G, Gell K, Kouznetsova A, Novak I, Benavente R, Hoog C. Characterization of a novel meiosis-specific protein within the central element of the synaptonemal complex. J Cell Sci. 2006;119:4025-32 pubmed..SYCE1 interacts more directly with SYCP1 and could thus anchor the central element proteins to the transverse filaments. ..
- Li X, Li X, Schimenti J. Mouse pachytene checkpoint 2 (trip13) is required for completing meiotic recombination but not synapsis. PLoS Genet. 2007;3:e130 pubmed..To our knowledge, this is the first model to separate recombination defects from asynapsis in mammalian meiosis, and provides the first evidence that unrepaired DNA damage alone can trigger the pachytene checkpoint response in mice. ..
- Herrán Y, Gutiérrez Caballero C, Sanchez Martin M, Hernandez T, Viera A, Barbero J, et al. The cohesin subunit RAD21L functions in meiotic synapsis and exhibits sexual dimorphism in fertility. EMBO J. 2011;30:3091-105 pubmed publisher..Thus, our results provide in vivo evidence that RAD21L is essential for male fertility and in females for the maintenance of fertility during natural aging. ..
- Lee J, Iwai T, Yokota T, Yamashita M. Temporally and spatially selective loss of Rec8 protein from meiotic chromosomes during mammalian meiosis. J Cell Sci. 2003;116:2781-90 pubmed publisher..cohesin proteins, SMC1beta (meiosis-specific protein) and SMC3 and with a component of synaptonemal complexes, SCP3, but not with SMC1alpha...
- Liebe B, Alsheimer M, Hoog C, Benavente R, Scherthan H. Telomere attachment, meiotic chromosome condensation, pairing, and bouquet stage duration are modified in spermatocytes lacking axial elements. Mol Biol Cell. 2004;15:827-37 pubmed..Here, we show at the EM level that in Sycp3(-/-) spermatocyte chromosomes lack the AE and the conical end thickening, but still they attach their telomeres to ..
- Kogo H, Kowa Sugiyama H, Yamada K, Bolor H, Tsutsumi M, Ohye T, et al. Screening of genes involved in chromosome segregation during meiosis I: toward the identification of genes responsible for infertility in humans. J Hum Genet. 2010;55:293-9 pubmed publisher..These 726 candidates for human infertility genes might serve as a useful resource for next-generation sequencing combined with exon capture by microarray...
- MacLean G, Li H, Metzger D, Chambon P, Petkovich M. Apoptotic extinction of germ cells in testes of Cyp26b1 knockout mice. Endocrinology. 2007;148:4560-7 pubmed..These results provide evidence that CYP26B1 maintains low levels of RA in the developing testes that blocks entry into meiosis and acts as a survival factor to prevent apoptosis of male germ cells. ..
- Tanaka S, Toyooka Y, Akasu R, Katoh Fukui Y, Nakahara Y, Suzuki R, et al. The mouse homolog of Drosophila Vasa is required for the development of male germ cells. Genes Dev. 2000;14:841-53 pubmed..These results indicate that the loss of Mvh function causes a deficiency in the proliferation and differentiation of mouse male germ cells. ..
- Bowles J, Koopman P. Retinoic acid, meiosis and germ cell fate in mammals. Development. 2007;134:3401-11 pubmed..Although this knowledge clarifies a long-standing mystery in reproductive biology, it also poses many new questions, which we discuss in this review. ..
- Chuma S, Nakatsuji N. Autonomous transition into meiosis of mouse fetal germ cells in vitro and its inhibition by gp130-mediated signaling. Dev Biol. 2001;229:468-79 pubmed..Female PGCs obtained from UGRs or genital ridges at 10.5-11.5 dpc began to express meiosis-specific genes, Scp3 and Dmc1, after dissociation and cultivation on feeder cells for several days...
- Moens P, Marcon E, Shore J, Kochakpour N, Spyropoulos B. Initiation and resolution of interhomolog connections: crossover and non-crossover sites along mouse synaptonemal complexes. J Cell Sci. 2007;120:1017-27 pubmed..Relocation of TNs may be associated with the conversion of potential crossovers into non-crossovers...
- Chuma S, Hiyoshi M, Yamamoto A, Hosokawa M, Takamune K, Nakatsuji N. Mouse Tudor Repeat-1 (MTR-1) is a novel component of chromatoid bodies/nuages in male germ cells and forms a complex with snRNPs. Mech Dev. 2003;120:979-90 pubmed..These results suggest that MTR-1, which would provide novel insights into evolutionary comparison of nuages, functions in assembling snRNPs into cytoplasmic granules in germ cells. ..
- Adelfalk C, Janschek J, Revenkova E, Blei C, Liebe B, Göb E, et al. Cohesin SMC1beta protects telomeres in meiocytes. J Cell Biol. 2009;187:185-99 pubmed publisher..We suggest that a telomere structure protected from DNA rearrangements depends on SMC1beta. ..
- Parra M, Gómez R, Viera A, Llano E, Pendas A, Rufas J, et al. Sequential assembly of centromeric proteins in male mouse meiosis. PLoS Genet. 2009;5:e1000417 pubmed publisher..We also demonstrate that Shugoshin 2 is necessary for the loading of MCAK at the inner centromere, but is dispensable for the loading of the outer kinetochore proteins BubR1 and CENP-E. ..
- Yang F, De La Fuente R, Leu N, Baumann C, McLaughlin K, Wang P. Mouse SYCP2 is required for synaptonemal complex assembly and chromosomal synapsis during male meiosis. J Cell Biol. 2006;173:497-507 pubmed..SC protein 2 (SYCP2) and SYCP3 are integral components of AEs/LEs in mammals...
- Yuan L, Liu J, Hoja M, Wilbertz J, Nordqvist K, Hoog C. Female germ cell aneuploidy and embryo death in mice lacking the meiosis-specific protein SCP3. Science. 2002;296:1115-8 pubmed..Here, we show that the absence of synaptonemal complex protein 3 (SCP3) promotes aneuploidy in murine oocytes by inducing defective meiotic chromosome segregation...
- Kolas N, Yuan L, Hoog C, Heng H, Marcon E, Moens P. Male mouse meiotic chromosome cores deficient in structural proteins SYCP3 and SYCP2 align by homology but fail to synapse and have possible impaired specificity of chromatin loop attachment. Cytogenet Genome Res. 2004;105:182-8 pubmed..To test the functions of SYCP2 and SYCP3 proteins in the cores, we determined the effect of their deletion on homology recognition by whole chromosome ..
- Miyamoto T, Hasuike S, Yogev L, Maduro M, Ishikawa M, Westphal H, et al. Azoospermia in patients heterozygous for a mutation in SYCP3. Lancet. 2003;362:1714-9 pubmed..b>Sycp3 encodes a component of the synaptonemal complex...
- Yao H, Matzuk M, Jorgez C, Menke D, Page D, Swain A, et al. Follistatin operates downstream of Wnt4 in mammalian ovary organogenesis. Dev Dyn. 2004;230:210-5 pubmed..Thus, we propose that WNT4 acts through FST to regulate vascular boundaries and maintain germ cell survival in the ovary. ..
- Shibuya H, Ishiguro K, Watanabe Y. The TRF1-binding protein TERB1 promotes chromosome movement and telomere rigidity in meiosis. Nat Cell Biol. 2014;16:145-56 pubmed publisher..Our study suggests that TERB1 acts as a central hub for the assembly of a conserved meiotic telomere complex required for chromosome movements. ..
- Lee J, Hirano T. RAD21L, a novel cohesin subunit implicated in linking homologous chromosomes in mammalian meiosis. J Cell Biol. 2011;192:263-76 pubmed publisher..RAD21L associates with SMC3, STAG3, and either SMC1? or SMC1?. Our results suggest that cohesin complexes containing RAD21L may be involved in synapsis initiation and crossover recombination between homologous chromosomes. ..
- Kumar S, Chatzi C, Brade T, Cunningham T, Zhao X, Duester G. Sex-specific timing of meiotic initiation is regulated by Cyp26b1 independent of retinoic acid signalling. Nat Commun. 2011;2:151 pubmed..These findings demonstrate that Cyp26b1 prevents the onset of meiosis by metabolizing a substrate other than RA that controls Stra8 expression, thus changing the paradigm for how studies on Cyp26 function are conducted. ..
- Lin Y, Gill M, Koubova J, Page D. Germ cell-intrinsic and -extrinsic factors govern meiotic initiation in mouse embryos. Science. 2008;322:1685-7 pubmed publisher..Within a brief developmental window, Dazl-expressing germ cells in both XX and XY embryos actively acquire the ability to interpret RA as a meiosis-inducing signal. ..
- Yang F, Gell K, van der Heijden G, Eckardt S, Leu N, Page D, et al. Meiotic failure in male mice lacking an X-linked factor. Genes Dev. 2008;22:682-91 pubmed publisher..Thus, TEX11 promotes initiation and/or maintenance of synapsis and formation of crossovers, and may provide a physical link between these two meiotic processes. ..
- Wesoly J, Agarwal S, Sigurdsson S, Bussen W, Van Komen S, Qin J, et al. Differential contributions of mammalian Rad54 paralogs to recombination, DNA damage repair, and meiosis. Mol Cell Biol. 2006;26:976-89 pubmed..Thus, even though the paralogs have similar biochemical properties, genetic analysis in mice uncovered their nonoverlapping roles. ..
- Smith C, Shoemaker C, Roeszler K, Queen J, Crews D, Sinclair A. Cloning and expression of R-Spondin1 in different vertebrates suggests a conserved role in ovarian development. BMC Dev Biol. 2008;8:72 pubmed publisher..In all instances, RSPO1 is expressed in the incipient ovary. These findings suggest that R-SPONDIN1 is an ancient, conserved part of the vertebrate ovary-determining pathway. ..
- Reynolds A, Qiao H, Yang Y, Chen J, Jackson N, Biswas K, et al. RNF212 is a dosage-sensitive regulator of crossing-over during mammalian meiosis. Nat Genet. 2013;45:269-78 pubmed publisher..Haploinsufficiency indicates that RNF212 is a limiting factor for crossover control and raises the possibility that human alleles may alter the amount or stability of RNF212 and be risk factors for aneuploid conditions. ..
- Kouznetsova A, Benavente R, Pastink A, Hoog C. Meiosis in mice without a synaptonemal complex. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e28255 pubmed publisher..To clarify the SC function in mammals, we have generated a mutant mouse strain (Sycp1(-/-)Sycp3(-/-), here called SC-null) in which all known SC proteins have been displaced from meiotic chromosomes...
- Le Bouffant R, Souquet B, Duval N, Duquenne C, Hervé R, Frydman N, et al. Msx1 and Msx2 promote meiosis initiation. Development. 2011;138:5393-402 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our data demonstrate for the first time that some homeobox genes are required for meiosis initiation in the female germ line. ..
- Lipkin S, Moens P, Wang V, Lenzi M, Shanmugarajah D, Gilgeous A, et al. Meiotic arrest and aneuploidy in MLH3-deficient mice. Nat Genet. 2002;31:385-90 pubmed..Mlh3(-/-) spermatocytes reach metaphase before succumbing to apoptosis, but oocytes fail to complete meiosis I after fertilization. Our results show that Mlh3 has an essential and distinct role in mammalian meiosis. ..
- Parra M, Viera A, Gómez R, Page J, Carmena M, Earnshaw W, et al. Dynamic relocalization of the chromosomal passenger complex proteins inner centromere protein (INCENP) and aurora-B kinase during male mouse meiosis. J Cell Sci. 2003;116:961-74 pubmed..We discuss the complex dynamic relocalization of the chromosomal passenger complex during prophase I. Additionally, we suggest that this complex may regulate sister-chromatid centromere cohesion during both meiotic divisions...
- Kwon Y, Xia Z, An J, Tasaki T, Davydov I, Seo J, et al. Female lethality and apoptosis of spermatocytes in mice lacking the UBR2 ubiquitin ligase of the N-end rule pathway. Mol Cell Biol. 2003;23:8255-71 pubmed..We conclude that the UBR2 ubiquitin ligase and, hence, the N-end rule pathway are required for male meiosis and spermatogenesis and for an essential aspect of female embryonic development. ..
- Hayashi K, Yoshida K, Matsui Y. A histone H3 methyltransferase controls epigenetic events required for meiotic prophase. Nature. 2005;438:374-8 pubmed..These findings indicate that meiosis-specific epigenetic events in mammals are crucial for proper meiotic progression. ..
- Wang H, Hoog C. Structural damage to meiotic chromosomes impairs DNA recombination and checkpoint control in mammalian oocytes. J Cell Biol. 2006;173:485-95 pubmed..The synaptonemal complex protein 3 (SYCP3) transiently supports the structural organization of the meiotic chromosome axis...
- Li X, Bolcun Filas E, Schimenti J. Genetic evidence that synaptonemal complex axial elements govern recombination pathway choice in mice. Genetics. 2011;189:71-82 pubmed publisher..Female mice lacking the SC axial element protein SYCP3 produce viable, but often aneuploid, oocytes...
- Yang F, Eckardt S, Leu N, McLaughlin K, Wang P. Mouse TEX15 is essential for DNA double-strand break repair and chromosomal synapsis during male meiosis. J Cell Biol. 2008;180:673-9 pubmed publisher..Based on these data, we propose that TEX15 regulates the loading of DNA repair proteins onto sites of DSBs and, thus, its absence causes a failure in meiotic recombination. ..
- Yao H, DiNapoli L, Capel B. Meiotic germ cells antagonize mesonephric cell migration and testis cord formation in mouse gonads. Development. 2003;130:5895-902 pubmed..We suggest that at the stage when germ cells commit to meiosis, they reinforce ovarian fate by antagonizing the testis pathway. ..
- Kouznetsova A, Lister L, Nordenskjold M, Herbert M, Hoog C. Bi-orientation of achiasmatic chromosomes in meiosis I oocytes contributes to aneuploidy in mice. Nat Genet. 2007;39:966-8 pubmed..The hybrid chromosomal configuration attained by univalents allows them to evade the spindle assembly checkpoint and contribute to aneuploidy in oocytes. ..
- Baltus A, Menke D, Hu Y, Goodheart M, Carpenter A, de Rooij D, et al. In germ cells of mouse embryonic ovaries, the decision to enter meiosis precedes premeiotic DNA replication. Nat Genet. 2006;38:1430-4 pubmed..Combined with previous findings, these genetic data suggest that active differentiation of ovarian germ cells commences at a regulatory point upstream of premeiotic DNA replication. ..
- Li Q, Ishikawa T, Miyoshi H, Oshima M, Taketo M. A targeted mutation of Nkd1 impairs mouse spermatogenesis. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:2831-9 pubmed..These results suggest that deletion of the EF-hand from Nkd1 reduces the number of the elongating spermatids at haploid stage. In contrast, the mutant Nkd1 did not affect intestinal polyposis in Apc(Delta716) mice. ..