Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Sycp1
Description: synaptonemal complex protein 1
Alias: SCP1, synaptonemal complex protein 1, SCP-1
- Novak I, Wang H, Revenkova E, Jessberger R, Scherthan H, Hoog C. Cohesin Smc1beta determines meiotic chromatin axis loop organization. J Cell Biol. 2008;180:83-90 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that in addition to its role in sister chromatid cohesion, Smc1beta determines meiotic chromatin loop organization. ..
- Kouznetsova A, Novak I, Jessberger R, Hoog C. SYCP2 and SYCP3 are required for cohesin core integrity at diplotene but not for centromere cohesion at the first meiotic division. J Cell Sci. 2005;118:2271-8 pubmed..This finding supports a model in which the removal of bulk cohesin from paired sister chromatids at late prophase in both meiotic and mitotic cells ensures proper chromosome compaction and segregation. ..
- Hamer G, Gell K, Kouznetsova A, Novak I, Benavente R, Hoog C. Characterization of a novel meiosis-specific protein within the central element of the synaptonemal complex. J Cell Sci. 2006;119:4025-32 pubmed..models, we show that these proteins and TEX12 specifically depend on the synaptonemal transverse filament protein SYCP1 for localization to the meiotic chromosomes...
- Yang F, Gell K, van der Heijden G, Eckardt S, Leu N, Page D, et al. Meiotic failure in male mice lacking an X-linked factor. Genes Dev. 2008;22:682-91 pubmed publisher..Thus, TEX11 promotes initiation and/or maintenance of synapsis and formation of crossovers, and may provide a physical link between these two meiotic processes. ..
- Schramm S, Fraune J, Naumann R, Hernández Hernández A, Hoog C, Cooke H, et al. A novel mouse synaptonemal complex protein is essential for loading of central element proteins, recombination, and fertility. PLoS Genet. 2011;7:e1002088 pubmed publisher..In the process of SC assembly, SYCE3 is required downstream of transverse filament protein SYCP1, but upstream of the other previously described CE-specific proteins...
- Tachibana M, Nozaki M, Takeda N, Shinkai Y. Functional dynamics of H3K9 methylation during meiotic prophase progression. EMBO J. 2007;26:3346-59 pubmed..This genetic and biochemical evidence strongly suggests that a specific set of H3K9 methyltransferase(s) and demethylase(s) coordinately regulate gametogenesis. ..
- Costa Y, Speed R, Ollinger R, Alsheimer M, Semple C, Gautier P, et al. Two novel proteins recruited by synaptonemal complex protein 1 (SYCP1) are at the centre of meiosis. J Cell Sci. 2005;118:2755-62 pubmed..These new proteins, SYCE1 and CESC1, interact with the transverse filament protein SYCP1, and their localisation to the central element appears to depend on recruitment by SYCP1...
- Qiao H, Chen J, Reynolds A, Hoog C, PADDY M, Hunter N. Interplay between synaptonemal complex, homologous recombination, and centromeres during mammalian meiosis. PLoS Genet. 2012;8:e1002790 pubmed publisher..SIM analysis of the synapsis and crossover-defective mutant Sycp1?/? implies that SCs prevent unregulated fusion of homolog axes...
- Kerr S, Taggart M, Lee M, Cooke H. Sequence and mapping of mouse synaptonemal complex protein genes Sycpl and Sycpl-rs. Mamm Genome. 1996;7:209-11 pubmed
- Liu K, Sun X, Feng Y, Cheng S, Li B, Li Y, et al. The impact of Zearalenone on the meiotic progression and primordial follicle assembly during early oogenesis. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2017;329:9-17 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, ZEA exposure impairs mouse female germ cell meiotic progression, DNA-DSBs, and primordial follicle assembly. ..
- Sage J, Martin L, Rassoulzadegan M, Cuzin F. Germ cell-specific enhancer activity of a repeated element in a variable region of the mouse genome. Gene. 1998;221:85-92 pubmed..Designated Sycp1-ps2, it originated from the early meiotic gene encoding Synaptonemal Complex Protein 1. We now report that, among wild Mus species in which the retrogene is not present, this region of Chr ..
- Ishiguro K, Kim J, Shibuya H, Hern ndez Hern ndez A, Suzuki A, Fukagawa T, et al. Meiosis-specific cohesin mediates homolog recognition in mouse spermatocytes. Genes Dev. 2014;28:594-607 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest the intriguing possibility that homolog recognition is achieved primarily by searching for homology in the chromosome architecture as defined by meiosis-specific cohesin rather than in the DNA sequence itself...
- Sun X, BrieÃ±o EnrÃquez M, Cornelius A, Modzelewski A, Maley T, Campbell Peterson K, et al. FancJ (Brip1) loss-of-function allele results in spermatogonial cell depletion during embryogenesis and altered processing of crossover sites during meiotic prophase I in mice. Chromosoma. 2016;125:237-52 pubmed publisher
- Jordan P, Karppinen J, Handel M. Polo-like kinase is required for synaptonemal complex disassembly and phosphorylation in mouse spermatocytes. J Cell Sci. 2012;125:5061-72 pubmed publisher..Only PLK1 (not PLK2-4) localizes to the SC during the G2/MI transition. The SC central element proteins SYCP1, TEX12 and SYCE1 are phosphorylated during the G2/MI transition...
- Kuramochi Miyagawa S, Kimura T, Ijiri T, Isobe T, Asada N, Fujita Y, et al. Mili, a mammalian member of piwi family gene, is essential for spermatogenesis. Development. 2004;131:839-49 pubmed..These data indicate that MILI is essential for the differentiation of spermatocytes. ..
- Yao H, DiNapoli L, Capel B. Meiotic germ cells antagonize mesonephric cell migration and testis cord formation in mouse gonads. Development. 2003;130:5895-902 pubmed..We suggest that at the stage when germ cells commit to meiosis, they reinforce ovarian fate by antagonizing the testis pathway. ..
- Sage J, Yuan L, Martin L, Mattei M, Guenet J, Liu J, et al. The Sycp1 loci of the mouse genome: successive retropositions of a meiotic gene during the recent evolution of the genus. Genomics. 1997;44:118-26 pubmedThe murine Sycp1 gene is expressed at the early stages of meiosis. We show that it is composed of a number of small exons and localized on mouse chromosome 3. In the laboratory strains, two retrogenes were also identified...
- Sage J, Martin L, Meuwissen R, Heyting C, Cuzin F, Rassoulzadegan M. Temporal and spatial control of the Sycp1 gene transcription in the mouse meiosis: regulatory elements active in the male are not sufficient for expression in the female gonad. Mech Dev. 1999;80:29-39 pubmed..Transcription of the Sycp1 gene (synaptonemal complex protein 1) starts as early as the leptotene and zygotene stages...
- Yoshimura T, Toyoda S, Kuramochi Miyagawa S, Miyazaki T, Miyazaki S, Tashiro F, et al. Gtsf1/Cue110, a gene encoding a protein with two copies of a CHHC Zn-finger motif, is involved in spermatogenesis and retrotransposon suppression in murine testes. Dev Biol. 2009;335:216-27 pubmed publisher..These observations indicate that Gtsf1/Cue110 is required for spermatogenesis and involved in retrotransposon suppression in male germ cells. ..
- Jordan P, Eyster C, Chen J, Pezza R, Rankin S. Sororin is enriched at the central region of synapsed meiotic chromosomes. Chromosome Res. 2017;25:115-128 pubmed publisher..to the cores of meiotic chromosomes in a manner that is dependent on synapsis and the synaptonemal complex protein SYCP1. In contrast, cohesin, with which Sororin interacts in mitotic cells, shows axial enrichment on meiotic ..
- Berkowitz K, Sowash A, Koenig L, Urcuyo D, Khan F, Yang F, et al. Disruption of CHTF18 causes defective meiotic recombination in male mice. PLoS Genet. 2012;8:e1002996 pubmed publisher..These findings demonstrate essential roles for CHTF18 in mammalian spermatogenesis and meiosis, and suggest that CHTF18 may function during the double-strand break repair pathway to promote the formation of crossovers. ..
- Luo M, Zhou J, Leu N, Abreu C, Wang J, Anguera M, et al. Polycomb protein SCML2 associates with USP7 and counteracts histone H2A ubiquitination in the XY chromatin during male meiosis. PLoS Genet. 2015;11:e1004954 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate that the SCML2/USP7 complex constitutes a novel molecular pathway in modulating the epigenetic state of sex chromosomes during male meiosis. ..
- Modzelewski A, Holmes R, Hilz S, Grimson A, Cohen P. AGO4 regulates entry into meiosis and influences silencing of sex chromosomes in the male mouse germline. Dev Cell. 2012;23:251-64 pubmed publisher..This is associated with a dramatic loss of microRNAs, >20% of which arises from the X chromosome. Thus, AGO4 regulates meiotic entry and MSCI in mammalian germ cells, implicating small RNA pathways in these processes...
- Arango N, Li L, Dabir D, Nicolau F, Pieretti Vanmarcke R, Koehler C, et al. Meiosis I arrest abnormalities lead to severe oligozoospermia in meiosis 1 arresting protein (M1ap)-deficient mice. Biol Reprod. 2013;88:76 pubmed publisher..Our results uncovered an essential role for M1ap as a novel germ cell gene not previously implicated in male germ cell development and suggest that mutations in M1AP could account for some cases of nonobstructive oligozoospermia in men. ..
- Tay J, Richter J. Germ cell differentiation and synaptonemal complex formation are disrupted in CPEB knockout mice. Dev Cell. 2001;1:201-13 pubmed..Synaptonemal complexes were not detected in these animals. CPEB therefore controls germ cell differentiation by regulating the formation of the synaptonemal complex. ..
- Hasegawa K, Sin H, Maezawa S, Broering T, Kartashov A, Alavattam K, et al. SCML2 establishes the male germline epigenome through regulation of histone H2A ubiquitination. Dev Cell. 2015;32:574-88 pubmed publisher..Our results reveal divergent mechanisms involving a shared regulator by which the male germline epigenome is distinguished from that of the soma and progenitor cells. ..
- Wu Q, Fukuda K, Kato Y, Zhou Z, Deng C, Saga Y. Sexual Fate Change of XX Germ Cells Caused by the Deletion of SMAD4 and STRA8 Independent of Somatic Sex Reprogramming. PLoS Biol. 2016;14:e1002553 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate that SMAD4 and STRA8 are essential factors that regulate the female fate of germ cells. ..
- Tay J, Hodgman R, Sarkissian M, Richter J. Regulated CPEB phosphorylation during meiotic progression suggests a mechanism for temporal control of maternal mRNA translation. Genes Dev. 2003;17:1457-62 pubmed..The temporal control of CPEB phosphorylation suggests a mechanism in which CPE-containing mRNA translation is stimulated at pachytene and metaphase I. ..
- Inagaki A, Sleddens Linkels E, Wassenaar E, Ooms M, van Cappellen W, Hoeijmakers J, et al. Meiotic functions of RAD18. J Cell Sci. 2011;124:2837-50 pubmed publisher..Finally, we show that RAD18 and HR6B have a role in the efficient repair of a small subset of meiotic DSBs. ..
- Ryu K, Sinnar S, Reinholdt L, Vaccari S, Hall S, Garcia M, et al. The mouse polyubiquitin gene Ubb is essential for meiotic progression. Mol Cell Biol. 2008;28:1136-46 pubmed
- Beyret E, Lin H. Pinpointing the expression of piRNAs and function of the PIWI protein subfamily during spermatogenesis in the mouse. Dev Biol. 2011;355:215-26 pubmed publisher..These results pinpoint a function of the PIWI protein subfamily to meiosis during spermatogenesis. ..
- Soh Y, Mikedis M, Kojima M, Godfrey A, de Rooij D, Page D. Meioc maintains an extended meiotic prophase I in mice. PLoS Genet. 2017;13:e1006704 pubmed publisher..Specifically, MEIOC, together with YTHDC2, promotes a meiotic (as opposed to mitotic) cell cycle program via post-transcriptional control of their target transcripts. ..
- Yamaguchi S, Hong K, Liu R, Shen L, Inoue A, Diep D, et al. Tet1 controls meiosis by regulating meiotic gene expression. Nature. 2012;492:443-7 pubmed publisher..Our study thus establishes a function for Tet1 in meiosis and meiotic gene activation in female germ cells. ..
- Bisig C, Guiraldelli M, Kouznetsova A, Scherthan H, Hoog C, Dawson D, et al. Synaptonemal complex components persist at centromeres and are required for homologous centromere pairing in mouse spermatocytes. PLoS Genet. 2012;8:e1002701 pubmed publisher..The absence of SYCP1 prevents centromere pairing in knockout mouse spermatocytes...
- Kogo H, Tsutsumi M, Ohye T, Inagaki H, Abe T, Kurahashi H. HORMAD1-dependent checkpoint/surveillance mechanism eliminates asynaptic oocytes. Genes Cells. 2012;17:439-54 pubmed publisher..Our present results provide clues to HORMAD1-dependent checkpoint in response to asynapsis in mammalian meiosis...
- SchÃ¼cker K, Holm T, Franke C, Sauer M, Benavente R. Elucidation of synaptonemal complex organization by super-resolution imaging with isotropic resolution. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2015;112:2029-33 pubmed publisher..A single-cell preparation generates sufficient localizations to compile a 3D model of the SC with nanometer precision. ..
- Abby E, Tourpin S, Ribeiro J, Daniel K, Messiaen S, Moison D, et al. Implementation of meiosis prophase I programme requires a conserved retinoid-independent stabilizer of meiotic transcripts. Nat Commun. 2016;7:10324 pubmed publisher..The latter process involving post-transcriptional regulation likely represents an ancestral mechanism, given that MEIOC homologues are conserved throughout multicellular animals. ..
- Robert T, Nore A, Brun C, Maffre C, Crimi B, Bourbon H, et al. The TopoVIB-Like protein family is required for meiotic DNA double-strand break formation. Science. 2016;351:943-9 pubmed publisher..We demonstrate that the mouse TOPOVIBL protein interacts and forms a complex with SPO11 and is required for meiotic DSB formation. We conclude that meiotic DSBs are catalyzed by a complex involving SPO11 and TOPOVIBL. ..
- Kato Y, Katsuki T, Kokubo H, Masuda A, Saga Y. Dazl is a target RNA suppressed by mammalian NANOS2 in sexually differentiating male germ cells. Nat Commun. 2016;7:11272 pubmed publisher..We propose a dual system of NANOS2-mediated suppression of Dazl expression as a pivotal molecular mechanism promoting sexual differentiation of XY germ cells. ..
- Kerr S, Taggart M, Lee M, Cooke H. Ott, a mouse X-linked multigene family expressed specifically during meiosis. Hum Mol Genet. 1996;5:1139-48 pubmed..The homologue of the rat synaptonemal complex protein gene SCP1 is expressed in embryonic ovary, adult brain and testis...
- Schober C, Aydiner F, Booth C, Seli E, Reinke V. The kinase VRK1 is required for normal meiotic progression in mammalian oogenesis. Mech Dev. 2011;128:178-90 pubmed publisher..These results are consistent with previously defined functions of VRK1 in meiotic progression in Drosophila oogenesis, and indicate a conserved role for VRK1 in coordinating proper chromosomal configuration in female meiosis. ..
- Yao H, Matzuk M, Jorgez C, Menke D, Page D, Swain A, et al. Follistatin operates downstream of Wnt4 in mammalian ovary organogenesis. Dev Dyn. 2004;230:210-5 pubmed..Thus, we propose that WNT4 acts through FST to regulate vascular boundaries and maintain germ cell survival in the ovary. ..
- Vidal F, Sage J, Cuzin F, Rassoulzadegan M. Cre expression in primary spermatocytes: a tool for genetic engineering of the germ line. Mol Reprod Dev. 1998;51:274-80 pubmed..expressing a testicular Cre recombinase driven by promoter sequences derived from the gene encoding Synaptonemal Complex Protein 1 (Sycp1), expressed at an early stage of the male meiosis (leptotene to zygotene)...