Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Suz12
Description: SUZ12 polycomb repressive complex 2 subunit
Alias: 2610028O16Rik, AI195385, AU016842, AW536442, D11Ertd530e, mKIAA0160, polycomb protein Suz12, suppressor of zeste 12 homolog, suppressor of zeste 12 protein homolog
- Li G, Margueron R, Ku M, Chambon P, Bernstein B, Reinberg D. Jarid2 and PRC2, partners in regulating gene expression. Genes Dev. 2010;24:368-80 pubmed publisher..In addition to the well-documented defects in embryonic viability upon down-regulation of Jarid2, ES cell differentiation is impaired, as is Oct4 silencing. ..
- Li X, Isono K, Yamada D, Endo T, Endoh M, Shinga J, et al. Mammalian polycomb-like Pcl2/Mtf2 is a novel regulatory component of PRC2 that can differentially modulate polycomb activity both at the Hox gene cluster and at Cdkn2a genes. Mol Cell Biol. 2011;31:351-64 pubmed publisher..We therefore propose a novel role for Pcl2 to modify functional engagement of PRC2 and PRC1, which could be modulated by sensing cellular circumstances. ..
- Pasini D, Bracken A, Hansen J, Capillo M, Helin K. The polycomb group protein Suz12 is required for embryonic stem cell differentiation. Mol Cell Biol. 2007;27:3769-79 pubmed..PRC2 contains the PcG proteins EZH2, SUZ12, and EED and represses transcription through methylation of lysine (K) 27 of histone H3 (H3)...
- Walker E, Chang W, Hunkapiller J, Cagney G, Garcha K, Torchia J, et al. Polycomb-like 2 associates with PRC2 and regulates transcriptional networks during mouse embryonic stem cell self-renewal and differentiation. Cell Stem Cell. 2010;6:153-66 pubmed publisher..We describe the role of PCL2 in both modulating transcription of ESC self-renewal genes in undifferentiated ESCs as well as developmental regulators during early commitment and differentiation. ..
- Shore A, Kabotyanski E, Roarty K, Smith M, Zhang Y, Creighton C, et al. Pregnancy-induced noncoding RNA (PINC) associates with polycomb repressive complex 2 and regulates mammary epithelial differentiation. PLoS Genet. 2012;8:e1002840 pubmed publisher..Additionally, a PRC2 complex that includes mPINC and RbAp46 may confer epigenetic modifications that maintain a population of mammary epithelial cells committed to the alveolar fate in the involuted gland. ..
- He D, Wang J, Lu Y, Deng Y, Zhao C, Xu L, et al. lncRNA Functional Networks in Oligodendrocytes Reveal Stage-Specific Myelination Control by an lncOL1/Suz12 Complex in the CNS. Neuron. 2017;93:362-378 pubmed publisher..Functional analyses illustrate that lncOL1 interacts with Suz12, a component of polycomb repressive complex 2, to promote oligodendrocyte maturation, in part, through Suz12-..
- Venturin M, Carra S, Gaudenzi G, Brunelli S, Gallo G, Moncini S, et al. ADAP2 in heart development: a candidate gene for the occurrence of cardiovascular malformations in NF1 microdeletion syndrome. J Med Genet. 2014;51:436-43 pubmed publisher..The expression analysis of three candidate genes included in the NF1 deletion interval, ADAP2, SUZ12 and UTP6, performed by in situ hybridisation, showed the expression of ADAP2 murine ortholog in heart during ..
- Whitcomb S, Fierz B, McGinty R, Holt M, Ito T, Muir T, et al. Histone monoubiquitylation position determines specificity and direction of enzymatic cross-talk with histone methyltransferases Dot1L and PRC2. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:23718-25 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results highlight how the position of nucleosome monoubiquitylation affects the specificity and direction of cross-talk with enzymatic activities on chromatin. ..
- Henriquez B, Bustos F, Aguilar R, Becerra A, Simon F, Montecino M, et al. Ezh1 and Ezh2 differentially regulate PSD-95 gene transcription in developing hippocampal neurons. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2013;57:130-43 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that Ezh1 and Ezh2 have antagonistic roles in regulating PSD-95 transcription. ..
- Shi J, Wang E, Zuber J, Rappaport A, Taylor M, Johns C, et al. The Polycomb complex PRC2 supports aberrant self-renewal in a mouse model of MLL-AF9;Nras(G12D) acute myeloid leukemia. Oncogene. 2013;32:930-8 pubmed publisher..shRNA-mediated suppression of PRC2 subunits Eed, Suz12 or Ezh1/Ezh2 led to proliferation arrest and differentiation of leukemia cells, with a minimal impact on growth of ..
- Ballaré C, Lange M, Lapinaite A, Martin G, Morey L, Pascual G, et al. Phf19 links methylated Lys36 of histone H3 to regulation of Polycomb activity. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2012;19:1257-65 pubmed publisher..These findings show that the interaction of Phf19 with H3K36me2 and H3K36me3 is essential for PRC2 complex activity and for proper regulation of gene repression in embryonic stem cells. ..
- Qi L, Cao J, Hu Y, Yang J, Ji Y, Huang J, et al. The dynamics of polycomb group proteins in early embryonic nervous system in mouse and human. Int J Dev Neurosci. 2013;31:487-95 pubmed publisher..we analyzed the expression pattern of PRC1 complex members (BMI-1 and RING1B) and PRC2 complex members (EED, SUZ12 and EZH2) in early embryonic nervous system in mouse and human by Western blot and Immunohistochemistry...
- Dahle Ø, Kumar A, Kuehn M. Nodal signaling recruits the histone demethylase Jmjd3 to counteract polycomb-mediated repression at target genes. Sci Signal. 2010;3:ra48 pubmed publisher..These data establish a role for Polycomb in imposing a dependency on Nodal signaling for the expression of target genes and reveal how developmental signaling integrates with epigenetic processes to control gene expression. ..
- Lee S, Miller S, Hyland C, Kauppi M, Lebois M, Di Rago L, et al. Polycomb repressive complex 2 component Suz12 is required for hematopoietic stem cell function and lymphopoiesis. Blood. 2015;126:167-75 pubmed publisher..Here, we investigated the role of PRC2 in hematopoiesis by conditional deletion of suppressor of zeste 12 protein homolog (Suz12), a core component of PRC2...
- Jenne D, Tinschert S, Dorschner M, Hameister H, Stephens K, Kehrer Sawatzki H. Complete physical map and gene content of the human NF1 tumor suppressor region in human and mouse. Genes Chromosomes Cancer. 2003;37:111-20 pubmed
- Mu W, Starmer J, Shibata Y, Yee D, Magnuson T. EZH1 in germ cells safeguards the function of PRC2 during spermatogenesis. Dev Biol. 2017;424:198-207 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our findings suggest that the expression level of Ezh1 determines the restoration of H3K27 methylation in the absence of the canonical EZH2-PRC2. ..
- Cooper S, Grijzenhout A, Underwood E, Ancelin K, Zhang T, Nesterova T, et al. Jarid2 binds mono-ubiquitylated H2A lysine 119 to mediate crosstalk between Polycomb complexes PRC1 and PRC2. Nat Commun. 2016;7:13661 pubmed publisher..Our findings ascribe a critical function to Jarid2 and define a key mechanism that links PRC1 and PRC2 in the establishment of Polycomb domains. ..
- Wang L, Zeng X, Chen S, Ding L, Zhong J, Zhao J, et al. BRCA1 is a negative modulator of the PRC2 complex. EMBO J. 2013;32:1584-97 pubmed publisher..These results reveal that BRCA1 is a key negative modulator of PRC2 and that loss of BRCA1 inhibits ES cell differentiation and enhances an aggressive breast cancer phenotype by affecting PRC2 function. ..
- De Raedt T, Beert E, Pasmant E, Luscan A, Brems H, Ortonne N, et al. PRC2 loss amplifies Ras-driven transcription and confers sensitivity to BRD4-based therapies. Nature. 2014;514:247-51 pubmed publisher..Here we provide genomic, cellular, and mouse modelling data demonstrating that the polycomb group gene SUZ12 functions as tumour suppressor in PNS tumours, high-grade gliomas and melanomas by cooperating with mutations in ..
- He A, Ma Q, Cao J, von Gise A, Zhou P, Xie H, et al. Polycomb repressive complex 2 regulates normal development of the mouse heart. Circ Res. 2012;110:406-15 pubmed publisher..Our study reveals a previously undescribed role of EZH2 in regulating heart formation and shows that perturbation of the epigenetic landscape early in cardiogenesis has sustained disruptive effects at later developmental stages. ..
- Graham B, Marcais A, Dharmalingam G, Carroll T, Kanellopoulou C, Graumann J, et al. MicroRNAs of the miR-290-295 Family Maintain Bivalency in Mouse Embryonic Stem Cells. Stem Cell Reports. 2016;6:635-642 pubmed publisher..we found that the miRNA biogenesis enzyme DICER was required for the binding of the PRC2 core components EZH2 and SUZ12, and for the presence of the PRC2-mediated histone modification H3K27me3 at many bivalent genes...
- Miro X, Zhou X, Boretius S, Michaelis T, Kubisch C, Alvarez Bolado G, et al. Haploinsufficiency of the murine polycomb gene Suz12 results in diverse malformations of the brain and neural tube. Dis Model Mech. 2009;2:412-8 pubmed publisher..Plagl1 or Lot1) and controls neuronal proliferation is altered in mice that are heterozygous for the polycomb gene Suz12, resulting in a phenotype that overlaps with some clinical manifestations of the CM spectrum...
- Iseki H, Nakachi Y, Hishida T, Yamashita Sugahara Y, Hirasaki M, Ueda A, et al. Combined Overexpression of JARID2, PRDM14, ESRRB, and SALL4A Dramatically Improves Efficiency and Kinetics of Reprogramming to Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells. Stem Cells. 2016;34:322-33 pubmed publisher..Our findings provide an insight into the important roles of JARID2 during reprogramming and suggest that the JARID2-associated protein network contributes to overcoming reprogramming barriers. ..
- Cain J, Berosik M, Snyder S, Crawford N, Nour S, Schaubhut G, et al. Shifts in the vascular endothelial growth factor isoforms result in transcriptome changes correlated with early neural stem cell proliferation and differentiation in mouse forebrain. Dev Neurobiol. 2014;74:63-81 pubmed publisher..The results identify a suite of genes and functional gene networks that can be used to further dissect the role of Vegf in regulating NSC differentiation and downstream consequences for NSC fate decisions. ..
- Vasanthakumar A, Xu D, Lun A, Kueh A, van Gisbergen K, Iannarella N, et al. A non-canonical function of Ezh2 preserves immune homeostasis. EMBO Rep. 2017;18:619-631 pubmed publisher..methylates lysine 27 of histone-H3 (H3K27me3) as part of the polycomb repressive complex 2 (PRC2) together with Suz12 and Eed...
- Pasini D, Hansen K, Christensen J, Agger K, Cloos P, Helin K. Coordinated regulation of transcriptional repression by the RBP2 H3K4 demethylase and Polycomb-Repressive Complex 2. Genes Dev. 2008;22:1345-55 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results demonstrate an elegant mechanism for repression of developmental genes by the coordinated regulation of epigenetic marks involved in repression and activation of transcription. ..
- Lai H, Wang Q. Additional sex combs-like 2 is required for polycomb repressive complex 2 binding at select targets. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e73983 pubmed publisher..ASXL2 is required for the binding of PRC2 and for the enrichment of H3K27me3 at target promoters. These results add a new perspective to our understanding of the mechanisms that regulate PcG activity and gene repression. ..
- Herranz N, Pasini D, Diaz V, Franci C, Gutierrez A, Dave N, et al. Polycomb complex 2 is required for E-cadherin repression by the Snail1 transcription factor. Mol Cell Biol. 2008;28:4772-81 pubmed publisher..Embryonic stem (ES) cells null for Suz12, one of the components of PRC2, show higher levels of Cdh1 mRNA than control ES cells...
- Riising E, Comet I, Leblanc B, Wu X, Johansen J, Helin K. Gene silencing triggers polycomb repressive complex 2 recruitment to CpG islands genome wide. Mol Cell. 2014;55:347-60 pubmed publisher..Our results show that it is the transcriptional state that governs PRC2 binding, and we propose that it binds by default to nontranscribed CGI genes to maintain their silenced state and to protect cell identity. ..
- Amat R, Gudas L. RAR? is required for correct deposition and removal of Suz12 and H2A.Z in embryonic stem cells. J Cell Physiol. 2011;226:293-8 pubmed publisher..Z and the polycomb group protein Suz12 at RA target genes, and that in embryonic stem cells both RAR? and Suz12 exist in a multi-protein complex in the ..
- Cerase A, Smeets D, Tang Y, Gdula M, Kraus F, Spivakov M, et al. Spatial separation of Xist RNA and polycomb proteins revealed by superresolution microscopy. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2014;111:2235-40 pubmed publisher..evidence of a direct interaction involving the PRC2 proteins Enhancer of zeste 2 (Ezh2) and Supressor of zeste 12 (Suz12) and the A-repeat region located at the 5' end of Xist RNA...
- Davidovich C, Wang X, Cifuentes Rojas C, Goodrich K, Gooding A, Lee J, et al. Toward a consensus on the binding specificity and promiscuity of PRC2 for RNA. Mol Cell. 2015;57:552-8 pubmed publisher..We conclude that promiscuous and specific RNA-binding activities of PRC2 in vitro are not mutually exclusive, and that binding specificity in vivo remains to be demonstrated. ..
- Wang A, Juan A, Ko K, Tsai P, Zare H, Dell Orso S, et al. The Elongation Factor Spt6 Maintains ESC Pluripotency by Controlling Super-Enhancers and Counteracting Polycomb Proteins. Mol Cell. 2017;68:398-413.e6 pubmed publisher..In ESCs, Spt6 interacted with the PRC2 core subunit Suz12 and prevented H3K27me3 accumulation at ESC super-enhancers and associated promoters...
- Huang W, Feng Y, Liang J, Yu H, Wang C, Wang B, et al. Loss of microRNA-128 promotes cardiomyocyte proliferation and heart regeneration. Nat Commun. 2018;9:700 pubmed publisher..while miR-128 deletion extends proliferation of postnatal CMs by enhancing expression of the chromatin modifier SUZ12, which suppresses p27 (cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitor) expression and activates the positive cell cycle ..
- Cai L, Rothbart S, Lu R, Xu B, Chen W, Tripathy A, et al. An H3K36 methylation-engaging Tudor motif of polycomb-like proteins mediates PRC2 complex targeting. Mol Cell. 2013;49:571-82 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our data suggest that PCL recognition of H3K36me3 promotes intrusion of PRC2 complexes into active chromatin regions to promote gene silencing and modulate the chromatin landscape during development. ..
- Shaw T, Martin P. Epigenetic reprogramming during wound healing: loss of polycomb-mediated silencing may enable upregulation of repair genes. EMBO Rep. 2009;10:881-6 pubmed publisher..We show that PcGs Eed, Ezh2 and Suz12 are significantly downregulated during murine skin repair, whereas the newly described demethylases Jmjd3 and Utx ..
- Onodera A, Yamashita M, Endo Y, Kuwahara M, Tofukuji S, Hosokawa H, et al. STAT6-mediated displacement of polycomb by trithorax complex establishes long-term maintenance of GATA3 expression in T helper type 2 cells. J Exp Med. 2010;207:2493-506 pubmed publisher..Thus, STAT6-mediated displacement of PcG by the TrxG complex establishes subsequent STAT6-independent maintenance of GATA3 expression in Th2 cells via the recruitment of the Menin-TrxG complex. ..
- Abraham C, Kulesza C. Polycomb repressive complex 2 targets murine cytomegalovirus chromatin for modification and associates with viral replication centers. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e29410 pubmed publisher..Together, our results suggest a novel, dynamic interaction between PcG epigenetic repressors and MCMV genomes. ..
- Neri F, Krepelova A, Incarnato D, Maldotti M, Parlato C, Galvagni F, et al. Dnmt3L antagonizes DNA methylation at bivalent promoters and favors DNA methylation at gene bodies in ESCs. Cell. 2013;155:121-34 pubmed publisher..Thus, in ESCs, Dnmt3L counteracts the activity of de novo DNA methylases to maintain hypomethylation at promoters of bivalent developmental genes. ..
- Dauber K, Perdigoto C, Valdes V, Santoriello F, Cohen I, Ezhkova E. Dissecting the Roles of Polycomb Repressive Complex 2 Subunits in the Control of Skin Development. J Invest Dermatol. 2016;136:1647-1655 pubmed publisher..knockout mouse lines, in which the essential PRC2 subunits embryonic ectoderm development (EED), suppressor of zeste 12 homolog (Suz12), and enhancer of zeste homologs 1 and 2 (Ezh1/2) are conditionally ablated in the embryonic ..
- Kim H, Kim D, Li S, Lee K, Li X, Bode A, et al. Polycomb (PcG) proteins, BMI1 and SUZ12, regulate arsenic-induced cell transformation. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:31920-8 pubmed publisher..In arsenic-induced transformed cells, polycomb group (PcG) proteins, including BMI1 and SUZ12, were activated resulting in enhanced histone H3K27 tri-methylation levels...
- Gillespie R, Gudas L. Retinoic acid receptor isotype specificity in F9 teratocarcinoma stem cells results from the differential recruitment of coregulators to retinoic response elements. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:33421-34 pubmed..We also demonstrated that RA-mediated displacement of the polycomb group protein SUZ12 from a RARE was inhibited in the absence of RARgamma...
- Saha B, Home P, Ray S, Larson M, Paul A, Rajendran G, et al. EED and KDM6B coordinate the first mammalian cell lineage commitment to ensure embryo implantation. Mol Cell Biol. 2013;33:2691-705 pubmed publisher..Our study delineates a novel epigenetic mechanism that orchestrates proper development of the first mammalian cell lineages. ..
- Wurm S, Zhang J, Guinea Viniegra J, GarcÃa F, MuÃ±oz J, Bakiri L, et al. Terminal epidermal differentiation is regulated by the interaction of Fra-2/AP-1 with Ezh2 and ERK1/2. Genes Dev. 2015;29:144-56 pubmed publisher..Thus, the induction of epidermal differentiation by Fra-2 is controlled by a dual mechanism involving Ezh2-dependent methylation and activation by ERK1/2-dependent phosphorylation. ..
- Studach L, Menne S, Cairo S, Buendia M, Hullinger R, Lefrancois L, et al. Subset of Suz12/PRC2 target genes is activated during hepatitis B virus replication and liver carcinogenesis associated with HBV X protein. Hepatology. 2012;56:1240-51 pubmed publisher..with induction of the mitotic polo-like kinase 1 (Plk1) and down-regulation of the chromatin remodeling components Suz12 and Znf198...
- Crusselle Davis V, Zhou Z, Anantharaman A, Moghimi B, Dodev T, Huang S, et al. Recruitment of coregulator complexes to the beta-globin gene locus by TFII-I and upstream stimulatory factor. FEBS J. 2007;274:6065-73 pubmed..Furthermore, we demonstrate that Suz12, a component of the polycomb repressor complex 2, is recruited to the beta-globin gene...
- Cao R, Tsukada Y, Zhang Y. Role of Bmi-1 and Ring1A in H2A ubiquitylation and Hox gene silencing. Mol Cell. 2005;20:845-54 pubmed..Our results suggest that EZH2-mediated H3-K27 methylation functions upstream of PRC1 and establishes a critical role for Bmi-1 and Ring1A in H2A ubiquitylation and Hox gene silencing. ..
- Fujimura Y, Isono K, Vidal M, Endoh M, Kajita H, Mizutani Koseki Y, et al. Distinct roles of Polycomb group gene products in transcriptionally repressed and active domains of Hoxb8. Development. 2006;133:2371-81 pubmed..Functional analyses, using mutant alleles impairing the PcG class 2 component Rnf2 or the Suz12 mutation decreasing H3-K27 trimethylation, revealed that interactions between class 1 and class 2 PcG complexes, ..
- Payer B, Rosenberg M, Yamaji M, Yabuta Y, Koyanagi Aoi M, Hayashi K, et al. Tsix RNA and the germline factor, PRDM14, link X reactivation and stem cell reprogramming. Mol Cell. 2013;52:805-18 pubmed publisher..Thus, our study provides functional and mechanistic links between cellular and X chromosome reprogramming. ..
- Mu W, Starmer J, Fedoriw A, Yee D, Magnuson T. Repression of the soma-specific transcriptome by Polycomb-repressive complex 2 promotes male germ cell development. Genes Dev. 2014;28:2056-69 pubmed publisher..Using conditional mutagenesis to remove the core PRC2 subunits EED and SUZ12 during male germ cell development, we identified a requirement for PRC2 in both mitotic and meiotic germ cells...
- Puschendorf M, Terranova R, Boutsma E, Mao X, Isono K, Brykczynska U, et al. PRC1 and Suv39h specify parental asymmetry at constitutive heterochromatin in early mouse embryos. Nat Genet. 2008;40:411-20 pubmed publisher..Parental epigenetic asymmetry, also observed along cleavage chromosomes, is resolved by the end of the 8-cell stage--concurrent with blastomere polarization--marking the end of the maternal-to-embryonic transition. ..
- Yamaji M, Ueda J, Hayashi K, Ohta H, Yabuta Y, Kurimoto K, et al. PRDM14 ensures naive pluripotency through dual regulation of signaling and epigenetic pathways in mouse embryonic stem cells. Cell Stem Cell. 2013;12:368-82 pubmed publisher..PRDM14 exerts these effects by recruiting polycomb repressive complex 2 (PRC2) specifically to key targets and repressing their expression. ..
- Hunkapiller J, Shen Y, Diaz A, Cagney G, McCleary D, Ramalho Santos M, et al. Polycomb-like 3 promotes polycomb repressive complex 2 binding to CpG islands and embryonic stem cell self-renewal. PLoS Genet. 2012;8:e1002576 pubmed publisher..Using mass spectrometry, we identified Pcl3 as a Suz12 binding partner and confirmed Pcl3 interactions with core PRC2 components by co-immunoprecipitation...
- Mejetta S, Morey L, Pascual G, Kuebler B, Mysliwiec M, Lee Y, et al. Jarid2 regulates mouse epidermal stem cell activation and differentiation. EMBO J. 2011;30:3635-46 pubmed publisher..We conclude that Jarid2 is required for the scheduled proliferation of epidermal stem and progenitor cells necessary to maintain epidermal homeostasis. ..
- Majewski I, Blewitt M, de Graaf C, McManus E, Bahlo M, Hilton A, et al. Polycomb repressive complex 2 (PRC2) restricts hematopoietic stem cell activity. PLoS Biol. 2008;6:e93 pubmed publisher..Using mice with an N-ethyl-N-nitrosourea (ENU)-induced mutation in Suppressor of Zeste 12 (Suz12), a core component of Polycomb Repressive Complex 2 (PRC2), we show here that loss of Suz12 function enhances ..
- Juan A, Derfoul A, Feng X, Ryall J, Dell Orso S, Pasut A, et al. Polycomb EZH2 controls self-renewal and safeguards the transcriptional identity of skeletal muscle stem cells. Genes Dev. 2011;25:789-94 pubmed publisher..These defects are associated with impaired SC proliferation and derepression of genes expressed in nonmuscle cell lineages. Thus, EZH2 controls self-renewal and proliferation, and maintains an appropriate transcriptional program in SCs. ..
- Lee S, Phipson B, Hyland C, Leong H, Allan R, Lun A, et al. Polycomb repressive complex 2 (PRC2) suppresses E?-myc lymphoma. Blood. 2013;122:2654-63 pubmed publisher..Although inactivating mutations in PRC2-encoding genes EZH2, EED, and SUZ12 are present in T-cell acute lymphoblastic leukemia and in myeloid malignancies, gain-of-function mutations in EZH2 ..