Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Suv39h1
Description: suppressor of variegation 3-9 1
Alias: AI852103, AL022883, DXHXS7466e, H3-K9-HMTase 1, KMT1A, mIS6, histone-lysine N-methyltransferase SUV39H1, Suv39h histone methyltransferase, histone H3-K9 methyltransferase 1, position-effect variegation 3-9 homolog, su(var)3-9 homolog 1, suppressor of variegation 3-9 homolog 1
- Mal A. Histone methyltransferase Suv39h1 represses MyoD-stimulated myogenic differentiation. EMBO J. 2006;25:3323-34 pubmedb>Suv39h1 is a histone H3 lysine-9 (H3-K9) specific methyltransferase (HMT) that is associated with gene silencing through chromatin modification...
- Villeneuve L, Reddy M, Lanting L, Wang M, Meng L, Natarajan R. Epigenetic histone H3 lysine 9 methylation in metabolic memory and inflammatory phenotype of vascular smooth muscle cells in diabetes. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:9047-52 pubmed publisher..Immunoblotting demonstrated that protein levels of the H3K9me3 methyltransferase Suv39h1 were also reduced in db/db VSMC...
- Rice J, Briggs S, Ueberheide B, Barber C, Shabanowitz J, Hunt D, et al. Histone methyltransferases direct different degrees of methylation to define distinct chromatin domains. Mol Cell. 2003;12:1591-8 pubmed..In contrast, Suv39h1 and Suv39h2 directed H3 Lys9 trimethylation specifically at pericentric heterochromatin...
- Lehnertz B, Ueda Y, Derijck A, Braunschweig U, Perez Burgos L, Kubicek S, et al. Suv39h-mediated histone H3 lysine 9 methylation directs DNA methylation to major satellite repeats at pericentric heterochromatin. Curr Biol. 2003;13:1192-200 pubmed..Both methylation systems are likely to be important in reinforcing the stability of heterochromatic subdomains and thereby in protecting genome integrity. ..
- Czvitkovich S, Sauer S, Peters A, Deiner E, Wolf A, Laible G, et al. Over-expression of the SUV39H1 histone methyltransferase induces altered proliferation and differentiation in transgenic mice. Mech Dev. 2001;107:141-53 pubmed..We have recently isolated human (SUV39H1) and mouse (Suv39h1) histone methyltransferases (HMTases) and shown that they are important regulators for the ..
- Wang D, Zhou J, Liu X, Lu D, Shen C, Du Y, et al. Methylation of SUV39H1 by SET7/9 results in heterochromatin relaxation and genome instability. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013;110:5516-21 pubmed publisherSuppressor of variegation 3-9 homolog 1 (SUV39H1), a histone methyltransferase, catalyzes histone 3 lysine 9 trimethylation and is involved in heterochromatin organization and genome stability...
- Yamamoto K, Sonoda M. Self-interaction of heterochromatin protein 1 is required for direct binding to histone methyltransferase, SUV39H1. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2003;301:287-92 pubmed..via a methylated lysine residue 9 of histone H3 which is catalyzed by a histone methyltransferase such as SUV39H1. Although co-localization of HP1 and SUV39H1 has been evident in immunostaining and immunoprecipitation ..
- Krouwels I, Wiesmeijer K, Abraham T, Molenaar C, Verwoerd N, Tanke H, et al. A glue for heterochromatin maintenance: stable SUV39H1 binding to heterochromatin is reinforced by the SET domain. J Cell Biol. 2005;170:537-49 pubmed..Trimethylation of H3K9 is governed by the histone methyltransferase SUV39H1. Recent studies of HP1 dynamics revealed that HP1 is not a stable component of heterochromatin but is highly ..
- Ideno H, Shimada A, Imaizumi K, Kimura H, Abe M, Nakashima K, et al. Predominant expression of H3K9 methyltransferases in prehypertrophic and hypertrophic chondrocytes during mouse growth plate cartilage development. Gene Expr Patterns. 2013;13:84-90 pubmed publisher..histone lysine N-methyltransferase 1, Ehmt1), SETDB1 (SET domain, bifurcated 1), PRDM2 (PR domain containing 2), SUV39H1 (suppressor of variegation 3-9 homolog 1), and SUV39H2, as well as the distribution of 3 types of HKM at histone ..
- Dörr J, Yu Y, Milanovic M, Beuster G, Zasada C, Däbritz J, et al. Synthetic lethal metabolic targeting of cellular senescence in cancer therapy. Nature. 2013;501:421-5 pubmed publisher..we use the Eµ-myc transgenic mouse lymphoma model in which TIS depends on the H3K9 histone methyltransferase Suv39h1 to show the mechanism and therapeutic exploitation of senescence-related metabolic reprogramming in vitro and in ..
- Maison C, Bailly D, Quivy J, Almouzni G. The methyltransferase Suv39h1 links the SUMO pathway to HP1? marking at pericentric heterochromatin. Nat Commun. 2016;7:12224 pubmed publisher..Here, we identify the Suv39h1 paralog, as a unique enhancer of HP1? sumoylation both in vitro and in vivo...
- Ding X, Liu S, Tian M, Zhang W, Zhu T, Li D, et al. Activity-induced histone modifications govern Neurexin-1 mRNA splicing and memory preservation. Nat Neurosci. 2017;20:690-699 pubmed publisher..Activity-dependent phosphorylation of p66? via AMP-activated protein kinase recruits HDAC2 and Suv39h1 to establish repressive histone markers and changes the connectivity of the activated neurons...
- Jack A, Bussemer S, Hahn M, Pünzeler S, Snyder M, Wells M, et al. H3K56me3 is a novel, conserved heterochromatic mark that largely but not completely overlaps with H3K9me3 in both regulation and localization. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e51765 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our findings raise interesting questions regarding how methylation of H3K9 and H3K56 is regulated in different organisms and their functional roles in heterochromatin formation and/or maintenance. ..
- Schoeftner S, Blasco M. Developmentally regulated transcription of mammalian telomeres by DNA-dependent RNA polymerase II. Nat Cell Biol. 2008;10:228-36 pubmed..Our results indicate that TelRNAs are novel components of mammalian telomeres, which are anticipated to be fundamental for understanding telomere biology and telomere-related diseases, such as cancer and ageing. ..
- Rao V, Pal A, Taneja R. A drive in SUVs: From development to disease. Epigenetics. 2017;12:177-186 pubmed publisher..Among these, the SUV39 sub-family of KMTs, which includes SUV39H1, SUV39H2, G9a, GLP, SETDB1, and SETDB2, play a prominent role...
- Liu B, Wang Z, Zhang L, Ghosh S, Zheng H, Zhou Z. Depleting the methyltransferase Suv39h1 improves DNA repair and extends lifespan in a progeria mouse model. Nat Commun. 2013;4:1868 pubmed publisher..Here we show that A-type lamins interact with SUV39H1, and prelamin A/progerin exhibits enhanced binding capacity to SUV39H1, protecting it from proteasomal ..
- Spies N, Smith C, Rodriguez J, Baker J, Batzoglou S, Sidow A. Constraint and divergence of global gene expression in the mammalian embryo. elife. 2015;4:e05538 pubmed publisher..The widespread effect of maternal and embryonic genotype in conjunction with the purifying selection we uncovered suggests that embryogenesis is an important and understudied reservoir of phenotypic variation. ..
- Shamma A, Takegami Y, Miki T, Kitajima S, Noda M, Obara T, et al. Rb Regulates DNA damage response and cellular senescence through E2F-dependent suppression of N-ras isoprenylation. Cancer Cell. 2009;15:255-69 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, Rb heterozygous mice additionally lacking any of Ink4a, Arf, or Suv39h1 generated C cell adenocarcinomas, suggesting that cellular senescence antagonizes Rb-deficient carcinogenesis.
- Chakraborty S, Sinha K, Senyuk V, Nucifora G. SUV39H1 interacts with AML1 and abrogates AML1 transactivity. AML1 is methylated in vivo. Oncogene. 2003;22:5229-37 pubmed..We report here that the histone methyltransferase SUV39H1, a mammalian ortholog of the Drosophila melanogaster SU(VAR) 3-9, forms complex with AML1...
- Koch B, Kueng S, Ruckenbauer C, Wendt K, Peters J. The Suv39h-HP1 histone methylation pathway is dispensable for enrichment and protection of cohesin at centromeres in mammalian cells. Chromosoma. 2008;117:199-210 pubmed..Our data indicate that the Suv39h-HP1 pathway is not essential for enrichment and mitotic protection of cohesin at centromeres in mammalian cells. ..
- Chatterjee B, Wolff D, Jothi M, Mal M, Mal A. p38? MAPK disables KMT1A-mediated repression of myogenic differentiation program. Skelet Muscle. 2016;6:28 pubmed publisher..We previously demonstrated that histone methyltransferase KMT1A associates with and inhibits MyoD in proliferating myoblasts, and must be removed to allow differentiation to ..
- Krauss V. Glimpses of evolution: heterochromatic histone H3K9 methyltransferases left its marks behind. Genetica. 2008;133:93-106 pubmed..Recently analyzed H3K9 methyltransferases (HMTases) as SUV39H1, Clr4p, DIM-5, Su(var)3-9 or SUVH2 are responsible for the establishment of histone H3 lysine 9 methylation (..
- Spensberger D, Delwel R. A novel interaction between the proto-oncogene Evi1 and histone methyltransferases, SUV39H1 and G9a. FEBS Lett. 2008;582:2761-7 pubmed publisher..Here we show that Evi1 interacts with the histone methyltransferase SUV39H1. The interaction requires the N-terminal part of Evi1 and the H3-specific histone methyltransferase domain, SET, ..
- Raurell Vila H, Bosch Presegué L, Gonzalez J, Kane Goldsmith N, Casal C, Brown J, et al. An HP1 isoform-specific feedback mechanism regulates Suv39h1 activity under stress conditions. Epigenetics. 2017;12:166-175 pubmed publisher..of H3K9me3 is effected by the functional interplay between the H3K9me3-specific histone methyltransferase Suv39h1 and HP1...
- Jeong K, Park J, Lee S. The analysis of X-chromosome inactivation-related gene expression from single mouse embryo with sex-determination. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2005;333:803-7 pubmed..An analysis of the XCI-related gene (Xist, Tsix, SUV39H1, SET7, and DNMT1) expression was performed to investigate the initiation process of XCI from early mouse single ..
- Vassen L, Fiolka K, Moroy T. Gfi1b alters histone methylation at target gene promoters and sites of gamma-satellite containing heterochromatin. EMBO J. 2006;25:2409-19 pubmed..Strikingly, we found that Gfi1b binds to both SUV39H1 and G9A histone methyl transferases, which provides a direct link between histone methylation and Gfi1b at ..
- Olcina M, Foskolou I, Anbalagan S, Senra J, Pires I, Jiang Y, et al. Replication stress and chromatin context link ATM activation to a role in DNA replication. Mol Cell. 2013;52:758-66 pubmed publisher..Together, these data indicate that hypoxia plays a critical role in the activation of the DNA damage response, therefore contributing to this barrier to tumorigenesis. ..
- Bultman S, Magnuson T. Molecular and genetic analysis of the mouse homolog of the Drosophila suppressor of position-effect variegation 3-9 gene. Mamm Genome. 2000;11:251-4 pubmed..However, analysis of Td/Y and sf/Y mutant stocks indicated that Suv39hl is not responsible for either mutant phenotype. ..
- Yoshioka H, McCarrey J, Yamazaki Y. Dynamic nuclear organization of constitutive heterochromatin during fetal male germ cell development in mice. Biol Reprod. 2009;80:804-12 pubmed publisher..associated with major and minor satellite repeat sequences, plus inactivation of histone methyltransferases (Suv39h1 and Suv39h2), and transient activation of histone demethylase (Jmjd2b) in these same cells...
- Scarola M, Comisso E, Pascolo R, Chiaradia R, Marión R, Schneider C, et al. Epigenetic silencing of Oct4 by a complex containing SUV39H1 and Oct4 pseudogene lncRNA. Nat Commun. 2015;6:7631 pubmed publisher..Oct4P4 lncRNA forms a complex with the SUV39H1 HMTase to direct the imposition of H3K9me3 and HP1Î± to the promoter of the ancestral Oct4 gene, located on ..
- Dan J, Liu Y, Liu N, Chiourea M, Okuka M, Wu T, et al. Rif1 maintains telomere length homeostasis of ESCs by mediating heterochromatin silencing. Dev Cell. 2014;29:7-19 pubmed publisher..Mechanistically, Rif1 interacts and stabilizes H3K9 methylation complex. Thus, Rif1 regulates telomere length homeostasis of ESCs by mediating heterochromatic silencing. ..
- Allan R, Zueva E, Cammas F, Schreiber H, Masson V, Belz G, et al. An epigenetic silencing pathway controlling T helper 2 cell lineage commitment. Nature. 2012;487:249-53 pubmed publisher..Here we explore the role of the SUV39H1–H3K9me3–HP1? silencing pathway in the control of TH2 lineage stability...
- Horáková A, Bartova E, Galiova G, Uhlírová R, Matula P, Kozubek S. SUV39h-independent association of HP1 beta with fibrillarin-positive nucleolar regions. Chromosoma. 2010;119:227-41 pubmed publisher..Moreover, the presence of HP1 beta in nucleoli is likely connected with transcription of ribosomal genes and with the role of fibrillarin in nucleolar processes...
- Vaquero A, Scher M, Erdjument Bromage H, Tempst P, Serrano L, Reinberg D. SIRT1 regulates the histone methyl-transferase SUV39H1 during heterochromatin formation. Nature. 2007;450:440-4 pubmed..Sirtuin 1 (SIRT1) and suppressor of variegation 3-9 homologue 1 (SUV39H1) are amongst the enzymes responsible for chromatin modulations associated with facultative heterochromatin ..
- Petti E, Jordi F, Buemi V, Dinami R, Benetti R, Blasco M, et al. Altered telomere homeostasis and resistance to skin carcinogenesis in Suv39h1 transgenic mice. Cell Cycle. 2015;14:1438-46 pubmed publisherThe Suv39h1 and Suv39h2 H3K9 histone methyltransferases (HMTs) have a conserved role in the formation of constitutive heterochromatin and gene silencing...
- Derry J, Gormally E, Means G, Zhao W, Meindl A, Kelley R, et al. Mutations in a delta 8-delta 7 sterol isomerase in the tattered mouse and X-linked dominant chondrodysplasia punctata. email@example.com. Nat Genet. 1999;22:286-90 pubmed
- Ait Si Ali S, Guasconi V, Fritsch L, Yahi H, Sekhri R, Naguibneva I, et al. A Suv39h-dependent mechanism for silencing S-phase genes in differentiating but not in cycling cells. EMBO J. 2004;23:605-15 pubmed..Thus, appropriately timed H3K9 methylation by Suv39h seems to be part of the control switch for exiting the cell cycle and entering differentiation. ..
- Puschendorf M, Terranova R, Boutsma E, Mao X, Isono K, Brykczynska U, et al. PRC1 and Suv39h specify parental asymmetry at constitutive heterochromatin in early mouse embryos. Nat Genet. 2008;40:411-20 pubmed publisher..Parental epigenetic asymmetry, also observed along cleavage chromosomes, is resolved by the end of the 8-cell stage--concurrent with blastomere polarization--marking the end of the maternal-to-embryonic transition. ..
- Baldeyron C, Soria G, Roche D, Cook A, Almouzni G. HP1alpha recruitment to DNA damage by p150CAF-1 promotes homologous recombination repair. J Cell Biol. 2011;193:81-95 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our data reveal that HP1? recruitment at early stages of the DDR involves p150CAF-1 and is critical for proper DNA damage signaling and repair. ..
- Geiman T, Sankpal U, Robertson A, Zhao Y, Zhao Y, Robertson K. DNMT3B interacts with hSNF2H chromatin remodeling enzyme, HDACs 1 and 2, and components of the histone methylation system. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2004;318:544-55 pubmed..By immunoprecipitation and GST pull-down, we show that DNMT3B interacts with HDAC1, HDAC2, HP1 proteins, Suv39h1, and the ATP-dependent chromatin remodeling enzyme hSNF2H...
- Villeneuve L, Kato M, Reddy M, Wang M, Lanting L, Natarajan R. Enhanced levels of microRNA-125b in vascular smooth muscle cells of diabetic db/db mice lead to increased inflammatory gene expression by targeting the histone methyltransferase Suv39h1. Diabetes. 2010;59:2904-15 pubmed publisher..mice, we recently showed that decreased promoter occupancy of the chromatin histone H3 lysine-9 methyltransferase Suv39h1 and the associated repressive epigenetic mark histone H3 lysine-9 trimethylation (H3K9me3) play key roles in ..
- Kera Y, Katoh Y, Ohta M, Matsumoto M, Takano Yamamoto T, Igarashi K. Methionine adenosyltransferase II-dependent histone H3K9 methylation at the COX-2 gene locus. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:13592-601 pubmed publisher..We discuss both gene-specific and epigenome-wide functions of MATII?. ..
- Djeghloul D, Kuranda K, Kuzniak I, Barbieri D, Naguibneva I, Choisy C, et al. Age-Associated Decrease of the Histone Methyltransferase SUV39H1 in HSC Perturbs Heterochromatin and B Lymphoid Differentiation. Stem Cell Reports. 2016;6:970-984 pubmed publisher..Here we show that the histone methyltransferase SUV39H1 plays an important role in human B lymphoid differentiation and that expression of SUV39H1 decreases with age in ..
- Alder O, Lavial F, Helness A, Brookes E, Pinho S, Chandrashekran A, et al. Ring1B and Suv39h1 delineate distinct chromatin states at bivalent genes during early mouse lineage commitment. Development. 2010;137:2483-92 pubmed publisher..Gata and Sox factors) that carry bivalent chromatin enriched in H3K27me3 and H3K4me2 are selectively targeted by Suv39h1-mediated H3K9me3 and de novo DNA methylation in extra-embryonic versus embryonic (pluripotent) lineages, as ..
- Pace L, Goudot C, Zueva E, Guéguen P, Burgdorf N, Waterfall J, et al. The epigenetic control of stemness in CD8+ T cell fate commitment. Science. 2018;359:177-186 pubmed publisher..We explored the role of gene silencing by the histone methyltransferase Suv39h1. In murine CD8+ T cells activated after Listeria monocytogenes infection, Suv39h1-dependent ..
- Bradley S, Kaminski D, Peters A, Jenuwein T, Stavnezer J. The histone methyltransferase Suv39h1 increases class switch recombination specifically to IgA. J Immunol. 2006;177:1179-88 pubmed..In the current study, we identify the histone methyltransferase Suv39h1 as a novel Salpha-specific factor that specifically increases IgA switching (Smu-Salpha recombination) in a ..
- Pannetier M, Julien E, Schotta G, Tardat M, Sardet C, Jenuwein T, et al. PR-SET7 and SUV4-20H regulate H4 lysine-20 methylation at imprinting control regions in the mouse. EMBO Rep. 2008;9:998-1005 pubmed publisher..Our data show not only new similarities but also differences between ICRs and heterochromatin, both of which show constitutive maintenance of methylation of DNA in somatic cells. ..
- Zhang Z, Liu Y, Li S, Guo L, Zhao Y, Qian S, et al. Suv39h1 mediates AP-2?-dependent inhibition of C/EBP? expression during adipogenesis. Mol Cell Biol. 2014;34:2330-8 pubmed publisher..Here, we present evidence that Suv39h1, a histone H3 lysine 9 (H3K9)-specific trimethyltransferase, and G9a, a euchromatic methyltransferase, both ..
- Duong H, Weitz C. Temporal orchestration of repressive chromatin modifiers by circadian clock Period complexes. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2014;21:126-32 pubmed publisher..Circadian clock negative feedback by the PER complex thus involves dynamic, ordered recruitment of repressive chromatin modifiers to DNA-bound Clock-Bmal1. ..
- Wakabayashi Y, Tamiya T, Takada I, Fukaya T, Sugiyama Y, Inoue N, et al. Histone 3 lysine 9 (H3K9) methyltransferase recruitment to the interleukin-2 (IL-2) promoter is a mechanism of suppression of IL-2 transcription by the transforming growth factor-?-Smad pathway. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:35456-65 pubmed publisher..The H3K9 methyltransferases Setdb1 and Suv39h1 bound to Smad3 and suppressed IL-2 promoter activity in collaboration with Smad3...
- Frontelo P, Leader J, Yoo N, Potocki A, Crawford M, Kulik M, et al. Suv39h histone methyltransferases interact with Smads and cooperate in BMP-induced repression. Oncogene. 2004;23:5242-51 pubmed..Thus, examination of the Smad-Suv interaction may provide insight into the mechanism of phenotypic determination mediated by BMP signaling. ..
- Daxinger L, Harten S, Oey H, Epp T, Isbel L, Huang E, et al. An ENU mutagenesis screen identifies novel and known genes involved in epigenetic processes in the mouse. Genome Biol. 2013;14:R96 pubmed..Overall, the Momme collection of mouse mutants provides a valuable resource for researchers across many disciplines. ..
- Cho S, Park J, Kwon S, Kang Y. Dynamics of Setdb1 expression in early mouse development. Gene Expr Patterns. 2012;12:213-8 pubmed publisher..These observations suggest that Setdb1 has an important role in maintaining the self-renewal of mESCs through collaboration with Oct4. ..