Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: stromelysin 1
Description: matrix metallopeptidase 3
Alias: EMS-2, MMP-3, SL-1, SLN-1, SLN1, STR-1, Stmy1, Str1, stromelysin-1, matrix metalloproteinase 3, progelatinase, transin-1
Products: stromelysin 1
- Gurney K, Estrada E, Rosenberg G. Blood-brain barrier disruption by stromelysin-1 facilitates neutrophil infiltration in neuroinflammation. Neurobiol Dis. 2006;23:87-96 pubmed..Our results provide the first in vivo evidence that MMP-3 attacks the basal lamina and tight junction proteins, opening the BBB, thereby facilitating neutrophil influx. ..
- Witty J, Wright J, Matrisian L. Matrix metalloproteinases are expressed during ductal and alveolar mammary morphogenesis, and misregulation of stromelysin-1 in transgenic mice induces unscheduled alveolar development. Mol Biol Cell. 1995;6:1287-303 pubmed
- Carmeliet P, Moons L, Lijnen R, Baes M, Lemaitre V, Tipping P, et al. Urokinase-generated plasmin activates matrix metalloproteinases during aneurysm formation. Nat Genet. 1997;17:439-44 pubmed
- Li C, Pender S, Pickard K, Chance V, Holloway J, Huett A, et al. Impaired immunity to intestinal bacterial infection in stromelysin-1 (matrix metalloproteinase-3)-deficient mice. J Immunol. 2004;173:5171-9 pubmed..These studies show that mucosal remodeling can occur in the absence of MMP3, but that MMP3 plays a role in the migration of CD4+ T lymphocytes to the intestinal mucosa. ..
- Chung Y, Kim Y, Bok E, Yune T, Maeng S, Jin B. MMP-3 contributes to nigrostriatal dopaminergic neuronal loss, BBB damage, and neuroinflammation in an MPTP mouse model of Parkinson's disease. Mediators Inflamm. 2013;2013:370526 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that MMP-3 could play a crucial role in neurodegenerative diseases such as PD in which BBB damage and neuroinflammation are implicated. ..
- Walker E, Rosenberg G. TIMP-3 and MMP-3 contribute to delayed inflammation and hippocampal neuronal death following global ischemia. Exp Neurol. 2009;216:122-31 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate a novel additive role for TIMP-3 and MMP-3 in delayed neuronal death, and show that delayed treatment with MMP inhibitors can be used to reduce hippocampal death. ..
- Van Hove I, Lemmens K, Van de Velde S, Verslegers M, Moons L. Matrix metalloproteinase-3 in the central nervous system: a look on the bright side. J Neurochem. 2012;123:203-16 pubmed publisher..Moreover, a strict spatiotemporal MMP-3 up-regulation in the injured or diseased CNS might support remyelination and neuroprotection, as well as genesis and migration of stem cells in the damaged brain...
- Kim S, Kim E, Choi J, Son H, Ji I, Joh T, et al. Matrix metalloproteinase-3 contributes to vulnerability of the nigral dopaminergic neurons. Neurochem Int. 2010;56:161-7 pubmed publisher..These results further indicate a role of MMP-3 in the demise of DArgic neurons and suggest MMP-3 as a candidate cellular target for neuroprotective therapy. ..
- Mudgett J, Hutchinson N, Chartrain N, Forsyth A, McDonnell J, Singer I, et al. Susceptibility of stromelysin 1-deficient mice to collagen-induced arthritis and cartilage destruction. Arthritis Rheum. 1998;41:110-21 pubmed..This hypothesis was tested by examining the arthritic paws of stromelysin 1 (SLN1)-deficient mice for loss of cartilage and for generation of neoepitopes that would be indicative of ..
- Kessenbrock K, Dijkgraaf G, Lawson D, Littlepage L, Shahi P, Pieper U, et al. A role for matrix metalloproteinases in regulating mammary stem cell function via the Wnt signaling pathway. Cell Stem Cell. 2013;13:300-13 pubmed publisher..Our study reveals a mechanism by a microenvironmental protease that regulates Wnt signaling and impacts adult epithelial stem cell function. ..
- Gonthier B, Nasarre C, Roth L, Perraut M, Thomasset N, Roussel G, et al. Functional interaction between matrix metalloproteinase-3 and semaphorin-3C during cortical axonal growth and guidance. Cereb Cortex. 2007;17:1712-21 pubmed
- Choi D, Kim E, Son H, Joh T, Kim Y, Kim D, et al. A novel intracellular role of matrix metalloproteinase-3 during apoptosis of dopaminergic cells. J Neurochem. 2008;106:405-15 pubmed publisher..Thus, actMMP-3 seems to have a novel intracellular role in apoptotic DArgic cells and this finding provides an insight into the pathogenesis of Parkinson's disease. ..
- Kim E, Shin E, Choi J, Son H, Park I, Joh T, et al. Matrix metalloproteinase-3 is increased and participates in neuronal apoptotic signaling downstream of caspase-12 during endoplasmic reticulum stress. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:16444-52 pubmed publisher..MMP-3 and TIMP-1 may therefore serve as cellular targets for therapy against neurodegenerative diseases. ..
- Kheradmand F, Rishi K, Werb Z. Signaling through the EGF receptor controls lung morphogenesis in part by regulating MT1-MMP-mediated activation of gelatinase A/MMP2. J Cell Sci. 2002;115:839-48 pubmed..MT1-MMP is, in turn, necessary for activation of MMP-2, a mesenchymal enzyme that is required for normal lung morphogenesis. ..
- Choi D, Hwang O, Lee K, Lee J, Beal M, Kim Y. DJ-1 cleavage by matrix metalloproteinase 3 mediates oxidative stress-induced dopaminergic cell death. Antioxid Redox Signal. 2011;14:2137-50 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that DJ-1 is fragmented by the intracellular MMP3 in response to cell stress, abolishing the protective role of DJ-1 against oxidative damage, and this contributes to the pathogenesis of PD. ..
- Bullard K, Lund L, Mudgett J, Mellin T, Hunt T, Murphy B, et al. Impaired wound contraction in stromelysin-1-deficient mice. Ann Surg. 1999;230:260-5 pubmed..Incisional wound healing is not affected. These data implicate stromelysin-1 proteolysis during early wound contraction and indicate that stromelysin-1 is crucial for the organization of a multicellular actin network. ..
- Rudolph Owen L, Hulboy D, Wilson C, Mudgett J, Matrisian L. Coordinate expression of matrix metalloproteinase family members in the uterus of normal, matrilysin-deficient, and stromelysin-1-deficient mice. Endocrinology. 1997;138:4902-11 pubmed
- Sternlicht M, Lochter A, Sympson C, Huey B, Rougier J, Gray J, et al. The stromal proteinase MMP3/stromelysin-1 promotes mammary carcinogenesis. Cell. 1999;98:137-46 pubmed..that phenotypically normal mammary epithelial cells with tetracycline-regulated expression of MMP3/stromelysin-1 (Str1) form epithelial glandular structures in vivo without Str1 but form invasive mesenchymal-like tumors with Str1...
- Sympson C, Talhouk R, Alexander C, Chin J, Clift S, Bissell M, et al. Targeted expression of stromelysin-1 in mammary gland provides evidence for a role of proteinases in branching morphogenesis and the requirement for an intact basement membrane for tissue-specific gene expression. J Cell Biol. 1994;125:681-93 pubmed..We conclude that the balance of ECM-degrading enzymes with their inhibitors, and the associated regulation of ECM structure, is crucial for tissue-specific gene expression and morphogenesis in vivo. ..
- Thomasset N, Lochter A, Sympson C, Lund L, Williams D, Behrendtsen O, et al. Expression of autoactivated stromelysin-1 in mammary glands of transgenic mice leads to a reactive stroma during early development. Am J Pathol. 1998;153:457-67 pubmed..We propose that the highly reactive stroma provides a prelude to breast epithelial tumors observed in these animals. ..
- Kim Y, Choi D, Block M, Lorenzl S, Yang L, Kim Y, et al. A pivotal role of matrix metalloproteinase-3 activity in dopaminergic neuronal degeneration via microglial activation. FASEB J. 2007;21:179-87 pubmed..Our results could lead to a novel therapeutic approach to PD. ..
- Eguchi T, Kubota S, Kawata K, Mukudai Y, Uehara J, Ohgawara T, et al. Novel transcription-factor-like function of human matrix metalloproteinase 3 regulating the CTGF/CCN2 gene. Mol Cell Biol. 2008;28:2391-413 pubmed publisherb>Matrix metalloproteinase 3 (MMP3) is well known as a secretory endopeptidase that degrades extracellular matrices. Recent reports indicated the presence of MMPs in the nucleus (A. J. Kwon et al., FASEB J...
- Van Hove I, Verslegers M, Buyens T, Delorme N, Lemmens K, Stroobants S, et al. An aberrant cerebellar development in mice lacking matrix metalloproteinase-3. Mol Neurobiol. 2012;45:17-29 pubmed publisher..Of note, these developmental and adult cerebellar defects might contribute to the aberrant motor phenotype observed in MMP-3(-/-) mice and suggest an involvement of MMP-3 in mouse cerebellar development. ..
- Souslova V, Townsend P, Mann J, van der Loos C, Motterle A, D Acquisto F, et al. Allele-specific regulation of matrix metalloproteinase-3 gene by transcription factor NFkappaB. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e9902 pubmed publisher..These results corroborate an effect of the 5A/6A polymorphism on MMP3 transcription and indicate that NFkappaB has differential effects on the 5A and 6A alleles. ..
- Haro H, Crawford H, Fingleton B, Shinomiya K, Spengler D, Matrisian L. Matrix metalloproteinase-7-dependent release of tumor necrosis factor-alpha in a model of herniated disc resorption. J Clin Invest. 2000;105:143-50 pubmed..We conclude that there is extensive communication between macrophages and chondrocytes in HD resorption and that an essential component of this communication is the requirement for MMPs to release soluble bioactive factors. ..
- Savarin C, Stohlman S, Rietsch A, Butchi N, Ransohoff R, Bergmann C. MMP9 deficiency does not decrease blood-brain barrier disruption, but increases astrocyte MMP3 expression during viral encephalomyelitis. Glia. 2011;59:1770-81 pubmed publisher..Overall, these results highlight the complexity of targeting individual MMPs as a strategy to regulate inflammation. ..
- Stallings Mann M, Waldmann J, Zhang Y, Miller E, Gauthier M, Visscher D, et al. Matrix metalloproteinase induction of Rac1b, a key effector of lung cancer progression. Sci Transl Med. 2012;4:142ra95 pubmed publisher..Rac1b is expressed abundantly in stages 1 and 2 of human lung adenocarcinomas and, hence, is an attractive molecular target for the development of new therapies that prevent progression to later-stage lung cancers. ..
- Connolly C, Magnusson Lind A, Lu G, Wagner P, Southwell A, Hayden M, et al. Enhanced immune response to MMP3 stimulation in microglia expressing mutant huntingtin. Neuroscience. 2016;325:74-88 pubmed publisher..With an improved understanding of the specific cellular processes involved in HD neuroinflammation, novel therapeutic agents targeting these processes can be developed and hold great promise in the treatment of HD. ..
- Levay A, Peacock J, Lu Y, Koch M, Hinton R, Kadler K, et al. Scleraxis is required for cell lineage differentiation and extracellular matrix remodeling during murine heart valve formation in vivo. Circ Res. 2008;103:948-56 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our studies have identified an in vivo requirement for scx during valvulogenesis and demonstrate its role in cell lineage differentiation and matrix distribution in remodeling valve structures. ..
- Garcia A, Tom C, Guemes M, Polanco G, Mayorga M, Wend K, et al. ER? signaling regulates MMP3 expression to induce FasL cleavage and osteoclast apoptosis. J Bone Miner Res. 2013;28:283-90 pubmed publisher..These experiments further define the molecular mechanism of estrogen's bone-protective effects by inducing osteoclast apoptosis through upregulation of MMP3 and FasL cleavage. ..
- Johansson N, Ahonen M, Kahari V. Matrix metalloproteinases in tumor invasion. Cell Mol Life Sci. 2000;57:5-15 pubmed..In this review, we discuss the current concept concerning the role of MMPs and their inhibitors in tumor invasion, as a basis for prognosis and targeted therapeutic intervention in cancer. ..
- Matrisian L. Cancer biology: extracellular proteinases in malignancy. Curr Biol. 1999;9:R776-8 pubmed..A recent study indicates that the gene for one of these enzymes, the matrix metalloproteinase stromelysin-1, can actually cause cancer when expressed in transgenic mice. ..
- Chen L, Nakai M, Belton R, Nowak R. Expression of extracellular matrix metalloproteinase inducer and matrix metalloproteinases during mouse embryonic development. Reproduction. 2007;133:405-14 pubmed..These data suggest that EMMPRIN may regulate physiological functions other than MMP production by mouse embryos during implantation. ..
- Yamashita C, Dolgonos L, Zemans R, Young S, Robertson J, Briones N, et al. Matrix metalloproteinase 3 is a mediator of pulmonary fibrosis. Am J Pathol. 2011;179:1733-45 pubmed publisher..These observations support a novel role for MMP-3 in the pathogenesis of IPF, through activation of ?-catenin signaling and induction of epithelial-mesenchymal transition. ..
- Uchida K, Satoh M, Inoue G, Onuma K, Miyagi M, Iwabuchi K, et al. CD11c(+) macrophages and levels of TNF-Î± and MMP-3 are increased in synovial and adipose tissues of osteoarthritic mice with hyperlipidaemia. Clin Exp Immunol. 2015;180:551-9 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that increased numbers of CD11c(+) macrophages and elevated levels of TNF-Î± and MMP-3 in AT and ST may explain the relationship between hyperlipidaemia and OA. ..
- Maquoi E, Demeulemeester D, Voros G, Collen D, Lijnen H. Enhanced nutritionally induced adipose tissue development in mice with stromelysin-1 gene inactivation. Thromb Haemost. 2003;89:696-704 pubmed..Thus, in a murine model of nutritionally induced obesity, MMP-3 impairs adipose tissue development, possibly by affecting food intake and/or adipose tissue-related angiogenesis. ..
- Liu Z, Li N, Diaz L, Shipley M, Senior R, Werb Z. Synergy between a plasminogen cascade and MMP-9 in autoimmune disease. J Clin Invest. 2005;115:879-87 pubmed..Thus, the Plg/plasmin system is epistatic to MMP-9 activation and subsequent dermal-epidermal separation in BP. ..
- Ozeki N, Hase N, Yamaguchi H, Hiyama T, Kawai R, Kondo A, et al. Polyphosphate induces matrix metalloproteinase-3-mediated proliferation of odontoblast-like cells derived from induced pluripotent stem cells. Exp Cell Res. 2015;333:303-15 pubmed publisher..Using specific siRNAs, we revealed that a unique signaling cascade, Poly(P)â†’MMP-3â†’DSPP and/or DMP-1, was intimately involved in the proliferation of odontoblast-like cells. ..
- Choi D, Kim J, Seo J, Lee J, Choi W, Kim Y. Matrix metalloproteinase-3 causes dopaminergic neuronal death through Nox1-regenerated oxidative stress. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e115954 pubmed publisherIn the present study we investigated the interplay between matrix metalloproteinase 3 (MMP3) and NADPH oxidase 1 (Nox1) in the process of dopamine (DA) neuronal death...
- Nakamoto T, Izu Y, Kawasaki M, Notomi T, Hayata T, Noda M, et al. Mice Deficient in CIZ/NMP4 Develop an Attenuated Form of K/BxN-Serum Induced Arthritis. J Cell Biochem. 2016;117:970-7 pubmed publisher..Thus, CIZ/NMP4 plays a role in the development of arthritis at least in part through regulation of key molecules related to the arthritis. ..
- Lee Y, Fryer J, Kang H, Crespo Barreto J, Bowman A, Gao Y, et al. ATXN1 protein family and CIC regulate extracellular matrix remodeling and lung alveolarization. Dev Cell. 2011;21:746-57 pubmed publisher..These findings demonstrate a critical role of ATXN1/ATXN1L-CIC complexes in extracellular matrix (ECM) remodeling during development and their potential roles in pathogenesis of disorders affecting ECM remodeling...
- Reunanen N, Li S, Ahonen M, Foschi M, Han J, Kahari V. Activation of p38 alpha MAPK enhances collagenase-1 (matrix metalloproteinase (MMP)-1) and stromelysin-1 (MMP-3) expression by mRNA stabilization. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:32360-8 pubmed..It is conceivable that both modes of action play an important role in controlling the proteolytic phenotype of fibroblasts, e.g. in wound repair and tumor invasion. ..
- Supasorn O, Sringkarin N, Srimanote P, Angkasekwinai P. Matrix metalloproteinases contribute to the regulation of chemokine expression and pulmonary inflammation in Cryptococcus infection. Clin Exp Immunol. 2016;183:431-40 pubmed publisher..Thus, our data suggest that the induction of MMPs by C. neoformans infection potentiates inflammatory cell infiltration by modulating pulmonary chemokines, thereby promoting effective host immunity to pulmonary Cryptococcus infection. ..
- Wako M, Ohba T, Ando T, Arai Y, Koyama K, Hamada Y, et al. Mechanism of signal transduction in tumor necrosis factor-like weak inducer of apoptosis-induced matrix degradation by MMP-3 upregulation in disc tissues. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2008;33:2489-94 pubmed publisher..To investigate the role of tumor necrosis factor-like weak inducer of apoptosis (TWEAK) in matrix metalloproteinase 3 (MMP-3) pathway induction, and the effect of TWEAK to induce other cytokines or angiogenesis factors in ..
- Kurimoto S, Jung J, Tapadia M, Lengfeld J, Agalliu D, Waterman M, et al. Activation of the Wnt/Î²-catenin signaling cascade after traumatic nerve injury. Neuroscience. 2015;294:101-8 pubmed publisher..As such, this pathway serves as a potential therapeutic target to prevent the motor endplate degeneration that occurs following traumatic nerve injury. ..
- Suzuki Y, Nagai N, Umemura K, Collen D, Lijnen H. Stromelysin-1 (MMP-3) is critical for intracranial bleeding after t-PA treatment of stroke in mice. J Thromb Haemost. 2007;5:1732-9 pubmed..Our data with gene-deficient mice thus suggest that plasminogen and MMP-3 are relatively more important than MMP-9 for the increased ICB induced by t-PA treatment of ischemic stroke. ..
- Das S, Yano S, Wang J, Edwards D, Nagase H, Dey S. Expression of matrix metalloproteinases and tissue inhibitors of metalloproteinases in the mouse uterus during the peri-implantation period. Dev Genet. 1997;21:44-54 pubmed..and spatial expression of mRNAs for four matrix metalloproteinases (MMPs; MMP-2 [gelatinase A], MMP-3 [stromelysin 1], MMPs; MMP-2 [gelatinase B], and MMP-13 [collagenase 3]) and tissue inhibitors of metalloproteinases (TIMPs; ..
- Perez S, Cano D, Dao Pick T, Rougier J, Werb Z, Hebrok M. Matrix metalloproteinases 2 and 9 are dispensable for pancreatic islet formation and function in vivo. Diabetes. 2005;54:694-701 pubmed..However, islet formation is unaffected in transgenic mice with modified tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinase-1 (TIMP1) levels, suggesting that MMP activity may contribute little to islet morphogenesis in vivo. ..
- Robbins J, McGuire P, Wehrle Haller B, Rogers S. Diminished matrix metalloproteinase 2 (MMP-2) in ectomesenchyme-derived tissues of the Patch mutant mouse: regulation of MMP-2 by PDGF and effects on mesenchymal cell migration. Dev Biol. 1999;212:255-63 pubmed
- Erickson J, Hollopeter G, Thomas S, Froelick G, Palmiter R. Disruption of the metallothionein-III gene in mice: analysis of brain zinc, behavior, and neuron vulnerability to metals, aging, and seizures. J Neurosci. 1997;17:1271-81 pubmed..Conversely, transgenic mice containing elevated levels of MT-III were more resistant to CA3 neuron injury induced by seizures. These observations suggest a potential role for MT-III in zinc regulation during neural stimulation. ..
- Wang Q, Rajshankar D, Laschinger C, Talior Volodarsky I, Wang Y, Downey G, et al. Importance of protein-tyrosine phosphatase-alpha catalytic domains for interactions with SHP-2 and interleukin-1-induced matrix metalloproteinase-3 expression. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:22308-17 pubmed publisher..These data indicate that IL-1-induced signaling through focal adhesions leading to MMP3 release and interactions between SHP-2 and PTPalpha are dependent on the integrity of the catalytic domains of PTPalpha. ..
- Handley S, Miller V. General and specific host responses to bacterial infection in Peyer's patches: a role for stromelysin-1 (matrix metalloproteinase-3) during Salmonella enterica infection. Mol Microbiol. 2007;64:94-110 pubmed..We hypothesize that MMP-3 is involved in initiating an early and lethal cytokine response to S. typhimurium colonization. ..
- McCawley L, Crawford H, King L, Mudgett J, Matrisian L. A protective role for matrix metalloproteinase-3 in squamous cell carcinoma. Cancer Res. 2004;64:6965-72 pubmed..We propose that MMP-3 is expressed as a protective response and plays an important role in host defense during SCC tumorigenesis. ..
- Chao T, Frump D, Lin M, Caiozzo V, Mozaffar T, Steward O, et al. Matrix metalloproteinase 3 deletion preserves denervated motor endplates after traumatic nerve injury. Ann Neurol. 2013;73:210-23 pubmed publisher..Here we investigate the effect of preserving agrin on the stability of denervated endplates. Because matrix metalloproteinase 3 (MMP3) is known to degrade agrin, we examined the changes in endplate structure following traumatic ..
- Gao R, Yu Y, Inoue A, Widodo N, Kaul S, Wadhwa R. Heterogeneous nuclear ribonucleoprotein K (hnRNP-K) promotes tumor metastasis by induction of genes involved in extracellular matrix, cell movement, and angiogenesis. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:15046-56 pubmed publisher..Involvement of the selected genes (Cck, Mmp-3, Ptgs2, and Ctgf) and pathways was validated by gene-specific expression analysis. Our results demonstrated that the hnRNP-K is a potential target for metastasis therapy...
- D Souza C, Mak B, Moscarello M. The up-regulation of stromelysin-1 (MMP-3) in a spontaneously demyelinating transgenic mouse precedes onset of disease. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:13589-96 pubmed..Thus, in this transgenic model of demyelinating disease up-regulation of DM20, MMP-3, and TIMP-1 represent important changes in the chemical pathogenesis in brain, which precede the onset of disease. ..
- Johnson J, Dwivedi A, Somerville M, George S, Newby A. Matrix metalloproteinase (MMP)-3 activates MMP-9 mediated vascular smooth muscle cell migration and neointima formation in mice. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2011;31:e35-44 pubmed publisher..These findings add to the understanding of MMP action in plaque stability and restenosis. ..
- Smith L, Wagner T, Huizar I, Schnapp L. uPARAP expression during murine lung development. Gene Expr Patterns. 2008;8:486-93 pubmed publisher..Finally, we compared lung development between wild-type and uPARAP(-/-) mice, and found no significant histologic differences, indicating the presence of alternative collagen degradation pathways during murine lung development. ..
- Hammani K, Henriet P, Eeckhout Y. Cloning and sequencing of a cDNA encoding mouse stromelysin 1. Gene. 1992;120:321-2 pubmedA cDNA encoding mouse stromelysin 1 was cloned and the 1740-bp sequence was determined. The deduced amino acid (aa) sequence was compared with stromelysin 1 sequences of other mammals...
- Guyot R, Magre S, Leduque P, le Magueresse Battistoni B. Differential expression of tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinases type 1 (TIMP-1) during mouse gonad development. Dev Dyn. 2003;227:357-66 pubmed..Experiments are now under way to determine to what extent TIMP-1 is a morphogenic gene involved in seminiferous cord formation and development. ..
- Oda N, Abe M, Sato Y. ETS-1 converts endothelial cells to the angiogenic phenotype by inducing the expression of matrix metalloproteinases and integrin beta3. J Cell Physiol. 1999;178:121-32 pubmed..These results indicate that ETS-1 is a principal regulator that converts ECs to the angiogenic phenotype. ..
- Nishino K, Yamanouchi K, Naito K, Tojo H. Matrix metalloproteinases regulate mesonephric cell migration in developing XY gonads which correlates with the inhibition of tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinase-3 by Sry. Dev Growth Differ. 2002;44:35-43 pubmed..These findings are an important clue for the elucidation of testicular formation in developing gonads. ..
- Zeisberg M, Khurana M, Rao V, Cosgrove D, Rougier J, Werner M, et al. Stage-specific action of matrix metalloproteinases influences progressive hereditary kidney disease. PLoS Med. 2006;3:e100 pubmed..Hence, we propose possible use of MMP-inhibitors as disease-preventive drugs for patients with Alport syndrome with identified genetic defects, before the onset of proteinuria. ..
- Chin J, Werb Z. Matrix metalloproteinases regulate morphogenesis, migration and remodeling of epithelium, tongue skeletal muscle and cartilage in the mandibular arch. Development. 1997;124:1519-30 pubmed..Our data suggest that matrix metalloproteinases play a pivotal role in the morphogenesis of structures derived from epithelium (oral sulcus), cranial paraxial mesoderm (tongue) and cranial neural crest (Meckel's cartilage). ..
- Warner R, Beltran L, Younkin E, Lewis C, Weiss S, Varani J, et al. Role of stromelysin 1 and gelatinase B in experimental acute lung injury. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. 2001;24:537-44 pubmed..of individual MMPs in the development of lung injury, mice genetically deficient in gelatinase B (MMP-9) and stromelysin 1 (MMP-3) were acutely injured with immunoglobulin G immune complexes and the intensity of the lung injury was ..
- Lee M, Yoon B, Osiewicz K, Preston M, Bundy B, van Heeckeren A, et al. Tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinase 1 regulates resistance to infection. Infect Immun. 2005;73:661-5 pubmed..Increased resistance was also seen during pulmonary infections. These results identify a novel pathway regulating infection resistance. ..
- Li D, Xiao Z, Wang G, Song X. Knockdown of ADAM10 inhibits migration and invasion of fibroblast-like synoviocytes in rheumatoid arthritis. Mol Med Rep. 2015;12:5517-23 pubmed publisher..These observations indicate that the inhibition of ADAM10 may be a viable therapeutic target in the amelioration of disease progression in RA by attenuating FLS proliferation, migration and invasion. ..
- Tateossian H, Powles N, Dickinson R, Ficker M, Maconochie M. Determination of downstream targets of FGF signalling using gene trap and cDNA subtractive approaches. Exp Cell Res. 2004;292:101-14 pubmed
- Correia A, Mori H, Chen E, Schmitt F, Bissell M. The hemopexin domain of MMP3 is responsible for mammary epithelial invasion and morphogenesis through extracellular interaction with HSP90?. Genes Dev. 2013;27:805-17 pubmed publisher..Our data also may shed light on the failure of strategies to use MMP inhibitors in cancer treatment and other related disorders. ..
- Rankin C, Suzuki K, Itoh Y, Ziemer D, Grantham J, Calvet J, et al. Matrix metalloproteinases and TIMPS in cultured C57BL/6J-cpk kidney tubules. Kidney Int. 1996;50:835-44 pubmed..These data suggest that cystic kidney tubules synthesize and secrete high levels of MMPs which may then participate in the restructuring of the tubular basement membrane. ..
- Nuttall R, Sampieri C, Pennington C, Gill S, Schultz G, Edwards D. Expression analysis of the entire MMP and TIMP gene families during mouse tissue development. FEBS Lett. 2004;563:129-34 pubmed
- Zuo X, Pan W, Feng T, Shi X, Dai J. Matrix metalloproteinase 3 promotes cellular anti-dengue virus response via interaction with transcription factor NF?B in cell nucleus. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e84748 pubmed publisher..This study suggested a novel role of MMP3 in nucleus during viral infection and provided new evidence for MMPs in immunomodulation. ..
- Light A, Hammes S. LH-Induced Steroidogenesis in the Mouse Ovary, but Not Testis, Requires Matrix Metalloproteinase 2- and 9-Mediated Cleavage of Upregulated EGF Receptor Ligands. Biol Reprod. 2015;93:65 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that MMP inhibition may be a means of attenuating excess ovarian steroid production in diseases like polycystic ovary syndrome. ..
- Hase N, Ozeki N, Hiyama T, Yamaguchi H, Kawai R, Kondo A, et al. Products of dentin matrix protein-1 degradation by interleukin-1Î²-induced matrix metalloproteinase-3 promote proliferation of odontoblastic cells. Biosci Trends. 2015;9:228-36 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our current study demonstrates the sequential involvement of Wnt5, MMP-3, DMP-1 expression, and DMP-1 degradation products by MMP-3, in effecting IL-1Î²-induced proliferation of ESC-derived odontoblast-like cells. ..
- Puntorieri V, McCaig L, Howlett C, Yao L, Lewis J, Yamashita C, et al. Lack of matrix metalloproteinase 3 in mouse models of lung injury ameliorates the pulmonary inflammatory response in female but not in male mice. Exp Lung Res. 2016;42:365-379 pubmed..MMP3 contributes to the pathogenesis of ARDS, by affecting the pulmonary inflammatory response in female mice in relevant models of lung injury. ..
- Paul S, Bhattacharya P, Das Mahapatra P, Swarnakar S. Melatonin protects against endometriosis via regulation of matrix metalloproteinase-3 and an apoptotic pathway. J Pineal Res. 2010;49:156-68 pubmed publisher..Melatonin suppressed MMP-3 activity and amplified apoptosis while regressing endometriosis through a caspase-3 mediated pathway. Thus, melatonin may be a therapeutic agent for resolving endometriosis. ..
- De Oliveira Demarchi A, Zambuzzi W, Paiva K, da Silva Valenzuela M, Nunes F, De Cássia Savio Figueira R, et al. Development of secondary palate requires strict regulation of ECM remodeling: sequential distribution of RECK, MMP-2, MMP-3, and MMP-9. Cell Tissue Res. 2010;340:61-9 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results clearly show that remodeling of the extracellular matrix is finely modulated during secondary palate development and occurs in a sequential manner. ..
- Suzuki Y, Nagai N, Yamakawa K, Kawakami J, Lijnen H, Umemura K. Tissue-type plasminogen activator (t-PA) induces stromelysin-1 (MMP-3) in endothelial cells through activation of lipoprotein receptor-related protein. Blood. 2009;114:3352-8 pubmed publisher..These findings indicate that t-PA deteriorates ICB via MMP-3 induction in endothelial cells, which is regulated through the LRP/nuclear factor-kappaB pathway. ..
- Tang Q, Huang J, Qian H, Xiong R, Shen D, Wu H, et al. Microarray analysis reveals the role of matrix metalloproteinases in mouse experimental autoimmune myocarditis induced by cardiac myosin peptides. Cell Mol Biol Lett. 2007;12:176-91 pubmed..This indicates that MMPs may act as major regulators of the cytokine profile. Together, these findings provide new insight into the molecular events associated with the mechanism of the autoimmune genesis of myocarditis. ..
- Johnson J, George S, Newby A, Jackson C. Divergent effects of matrix metalloproteinases 3, 7, 9, and 12 on atherosclerotic plaque stability in mouse brachiocephalic arteries. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005;102:15575-80 pubmed..These data demonstrate that MMPs are directly involved in atherosclerotic plaque destabilization and clearly show that members of the MMP family have widely differing effects on atherogenesis. ..
- Wandzioch E, Kolterud A, Jacobsson M, Friedman S, Carlsson L. Lhx2-/- mice develop liver fibrosis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2004;101:16549-54 pubmed..This study establishes a spontaneous and reproducible animal model for hepatic fibrosis and reveals that Lhx2 expression in HSCs is important for proper cellular organization and differentiation of the liver. ..
- Gack S, Vallon R, Schaper J, Ruther U, Angel P. Phenotypic alterations in fos-transgenic mice correlate with changes in Fos/Jun-dependent collagenase type I expression. Regulation of mouse metalloproteinases by carcinogens, tumor promoters, cAMP, and Fos oncoprotein. J Biol Chem. 1994;269:10363-9 pubmed..These results identify collagenase I as a Fos-regulated gene in vivo and suggest a possible role for Fos/Jun heterodimers in establishing the pathological phenotype of c-fos transgenic mice. ..
- Lochter A, Srebrow A, Sympson C, Terracio N, Werb Z, Bissell M. Misregulation of stromelysin-1 expression in mouse mammary tumor cells accompanies acquisition of stromelysin-1-dependent invasive properties. J Biol Chem. 1997;272:5007-15 pubmed..Thus misregulation of stromelysin-1 expression appears to be an important aspect of mammary tumor cell progression to an invasive phenotype. ..