Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: St3gal5
Description: ST3 beta-galactoside alpha-2,3-sialyltransferase 5
Alias: 3S-T, Siat9, lactosylceramide alpha-2,3-sialyltransferase, CMP-NeuAc:lactosylceramide alpha-2,3-sialyltransferase, GM3 synthase, GM3-specific sialytransferase, ST3GalV, ganglioside GM3 synthase, mST3Gal V, sialyltransferase 9 (CMP-NeuAc:lactosylceramide alpha-2,3-sialyltransferase)
- Lee H, Lee J, Bae Y, Yang S, Okino N, Schuchman E, et al. Inhibition of GM3 synthase attenuates neuropathology of Niemann-Pick disease Type C. by affecting sphingolipid metabolism. Mol Cells. 2014;37:161-71 pubmed publisher..Here we derived NP-C mice with complete and partial deletion of the Siat9 (encoding GM3 synthase) gene in order to investigate the role of ganglioside in NP-C pathogenesis...
- Wang X, Lee S, Wilson H, Seeger M, Iordanov H, Gatla N, et al. Ganglioside GM3 depletion reverses impaired wound healing in diabetic mice by activating IGF-1 and insulin receptors. J Invest Dermatol. 2014;134:1446-1455 pubmed publisher..b>GM3 synthase (GM3S) expression is increased in human diabetic foot skin, ob/ob and diet-induced obese diabetic mouse skin, ..
- Nagafuku M, Okuyama K, Onimaru Y, Suzuki A, Odagiri Y, Yamashita T, et al. CD4 and CD8 T cells require different membrane gangliosides for activation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012;109:E336-42 pubmed publisher..Activation of CD4(+) T cells from GM3 synthase-null mice, deficient in GM3-derived gangliosides, is severely compromised, whereas CD8(+) T-cell activation is ..
- Karman J, Tedstone J, Gumlaw N, Zhu Y, Yew N, Siegel C, et al. Reducing glycosphingolipid biosynthesis in airway cells partially ameliorates disease manifestations in a mouse model of asthma. Int Immunol. 2010;22:593-603 pubmed publisher..Primary mast cells isolated from a GM3 synthase (GM3S) knockout mouse exhibited suppressed activation-induced degranulation activity further supporting a role ..
- Liu B, Li H, Repa J, Turley S, Dietschy J. Genetic variations and treatments that affect the lifespan of the NPC1 mouse. J Lipid Res. 2008;49:663-9 pubmed..Genetic deletion of Siat9 (GM3 synthetase) or Nr1h2 [liver X receptor (LXR)beta] shortened the life of the npc1(-/-) animals...
- Menichella D, Jayaraj N, Wilson H, Ren D, Flood K, Wang X, et al. Ganglioside GM3 synthase depletion reverses neuropathic pain and small fiber neuropathy in diet-induced diabetic mice. Mol Pain. 2016;12: pubmed publisher..In previous studies, we have demonstrated that ganglioside GM3 depletion by knockdown of GM3 synthase fully reverses impaired wound healing in diabetic mice...
- Uemura S, Shishido F, Kashimura M, Inokuchi J. The regulation of ER export and Golgi retention of ST3Gal5 (GM3/GM4 synthase) and B4GalNAcT1 (GM2/GD2/GA2 synthase) by arginine/lysine-based motif adjacent to the transmembrane domain. Glycobiology. 2015;25:1410-22 pubmed publisher..The precise mechanism behind this maturation process remains unclear. We investigated two glycosyltransferases, ST3Gal5 (ST3G5) and B4GalNAcT1 (B4GN1), involved in ganglioside synthesis and examined their signal sequences for ER ..
- Sotnikov I, Veremeyko T, Starossom S, Barteneva N, Weiner H, Ponomarev E. Platelets recognize brain-specific glycolipid structures, respond to neurovascular damage and promote neuroinflammation. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e58979 pubmed publisher..This study determines a new role of platelets which directly recognize a neuronal damage and communicate with the cells of the immune system in the pathogenesis of neurodegenerative diseases...
- Natoli T, Husson H, Rogers K, Smith L, Wang B, Budman Y, et al. Loss of GM3 synthase gene, but not sphingosine kinase 1, is protective against murine nephronophthisis-related polycystic kidney disease. Hum Mol Genet. 2012;21:3397-407 pubmed publisher..the role of GM3 accumulation in cystogenesis, we crossed jck mice with mice carrying a targeted mutation in the GM3 synthase (St3gal5) gene. GM3-deficient jck mice displayed milder PKD, revealing a pivotal role for ganglioside GM3...
- Ji M, Lee Y, Do S, Nam S, Jung K, Kim H, et al. Developmental patterns of mST3GalV mRNA expression in the mouse: in situ hybridization using DIG-labeled RNA probes. Arch Pharm Res. 2000;23:525-30 pubmed..In contrast to these, on E15, the telencephalon and liver produced a strong expression of mST3Gal V which was a quite similar to that of E13...
- Chisada S, Yoshimura Y, Sakaguchi K, Uemura S, Go S, Ikeda K, et al. Zebrafish and mouse alpha2,3-sialyltransferases responsible for synthesizing GM4 ganglioside. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:30534-46 pubmed publisher..We found that three isoforms of mouse ST3GalV (mST3GalV) having different N-terminal sequences can synthesize GM4 as well as GM3 when expressed in RPMI1846 and ..
- Kono M, Takashima S, Liu H, Inoue M, Kojima N, Lee Y, et al. Molecular cloning and functional expression of a fifth-type alpha 2,3-sialyltransferase (mST3Gal V: GM3 synthase). Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1998;253:170-5 pubmedThe cDNA encoding a new type of alpha 2,3-sialyltransferase (mST3Gal V) was cloned from mouse brain cDNA library by PCR-based cloning approach using a pair of degenerate primers deduced from the nucleotide sequence information of mouse ..
- Miura Y, Kainuma M, Jiang H, Velasco H, Vogt P, Hakomori S. Reversion of the Jun-induced oncogenic phenotype by enhanced synthesis of sialosyllactosylceramide (GM3 ganglioside). Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2004;101:16204-9 pubmed..of the viral oncoprotein Jun (v-Jun) induces transformed cell clones with greatly reduced levels of GM3 and GM3 synthase (lactosylceramide alpha2,3-sialyltransferase) mRNA in both 10T1/2 and DF1 cell cultures...
- Kondo Y, Tokuda N, Fan X, Yamashita T, Honke K, Takematsu H, et al. Glycosphingolipids are not pivotal receptors for Subtilase cytotoxin in vivo: sensitivity analysis with glycosylation-defective mutant mice. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2009;378:179-81 pubmed publisher..5 microg) of SubAB as well as wild type mice. These results indicated none of glycolipids are not pivotal receptor for SubAB in the body. ..
- Takashima S, Tachida Y, Nakagawa T, Hamamoto T, Tsuji S. Quantitative analysis of expression of mouse sialyltransferase genes by competitive PCR. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1999;260:23-7 pubmed..Using this method, we can investigate the levels of gene expression of sialyltransferases in various cell lines and various tissues of mice, and can accurately determine their expression levels. ..
- Li H, Turley S, Liu B, Repa J, Dietschy J. GM2/GD2 and GM3 gangliosides have no effect on cellular cholesterol pools or turnover in normal or NPC1 mice. J Lipid Res. 2008;49:1816-28 pubmed publisher..In animals lacking either GM2/GD2 or GM3 synthase, tissue cholesterol concentrations and synthesis rates were normal in nearly all organs, and whole-animal ..
- Tsukamoto K, Kohda T, Mukamoto M, Takeuchi K, Ihara H, Saito M, et al. Binding of Clostridium botulinum type C and D neurotoxins to ganglioside and phospholipid. Novel insights into the receptor for clostridial neurotoxins. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:35164-71 pubmed..Using cerebellar granule cells obtained from GM3 synthase knock-out mice, we found that BoNT/C did not elicit a toxic effect but that BoNT/D still inhibited glutamate ..
- Gu Y, Zhang J, Mi W, Yang J, Han F, Lu X, et al. Silencing of GM3 synthase suppresses lung metastasis of murine breast cancer cells. Breast Cancer Res. 2008;10:R1 pubmed publisher..GM3, a precursor for most of the more complex ganglioside species, is synthesized by GM3 synthase. Although total ganglioside levels are significantly higher in breast tumor tissue than in normal mammary ..
- Mathow D, Chessa F, Rabionet M, Kaden S, Jennemann R, Sandhoff R, et al. Zeb1 affects epithelial cell adhesion by diverting glycosphingolipid metabolism. EMBO Rep. 2015;16:321-31 pubmed publisher..Zeb1 promotes expression of a-series glycosphingolipids via regulating expression of GM3 synthase (St3gal5), which mechanistically involves Zeb1 binding to the St3gal5 promoter as well as suppressing microRNA-..
- Kapitonov D, Bieberich E, Yu R. Combinatorial PCR approach to homology-based cloning: cloning and expression of mouse and human GM3-synthase. Glycoconj J. 1999;16:337-50 pubmed..The detailed cloning strategy, functional assay, and full length cDNA and protein sequences of GM3 synthase (ST3Gal V, or ST-I) are presented.
- Takashima S, Tsuji S. Comparison of genomic structures of four members of beta-galactoside alpha2,3-sialyltransferase genes in the mouse. Cytogenet Cell Genet. 2000;89:101-6 pubmed..These results suggest that the gene pair Siat4 and Siat5 arose from a common ancestral gene, as did the two genes Siat3 and Siat4c. ..
- Tsukuda Y, Iwasaki N, Seito N, Kanayama M, Fujitani N, Shinohara Y, et al. Ganglioside GM3 has an essential role in the pathogenesis and progression of rheumatoid arthritis. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e40136 pubmed publisher..RA and GM3, we established a collagen-induced arthritis mouse model using the null mutation of the ganglioside GM3 synthase gene. GM3 deficiency exacerbated inflammatory arthritis in the mouse model of RA...
- Park C, Longo C, Ackerman S. Genetic and physical mapping of the cerebellar deficient folia (cdf) locus on mouse chromosome 6. Genomics. 2000;69:135-8 pubmed..These results will greatly facilitate the map-based cloning of the cdf gene, which in turn should further knowledge of the molecular mechanisms of neuronal positioning and foliation during cerebellar development. ..
- Tsai Y, Yu R. Epigenetic activation of mouse ganglioside synthase genes: implications for neurogenesis. J Neurochem. 2014;128:101-10 pubmed publisher..Our findings thus provide direct evidence of novel pathways for ganglioside expression via the epigenetic up-regulation of ganglioside synthase genes during neural development. ..
- Porubsky S, Speak A, Salio M, Jennemann R, Bonrouhi M, Zafarulla R, et al. Globosides but not isoglobosides can impact the development of invariant NKT cells and their interaction with dendritic cells. J Immunol. 2012;189:3007-17 pubmed publisher..Moreover, in ?GalA(-/-) mice, it is the Gb3 storage that is responsible for the decreased iNKT cell numbers and impeded Ag presentation on DCs. ..
- Randeria P, Seeger M, Wang X, Wilson H, Shipp D, Mirkin C, et al. siRNA-based spherical nucleic acids reverse impaired wound healing in diabetic mice by ganglioside GM3 synthase knockdown. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2015;112:5573-8 pubmed publisher..Moreover, the data further validate GM3 as a mediator of the delayed wound healing in type 2 diabetes and support regional GM3 depletion as a promising therapeutic direction. ..
- Bhuiyan R, Kondo Y, Yamaguchi T, Tokuda N, Ohkawa Y, Hashimoto N, et al. Expression analysis of 0-series gangliosides in human cancer cell lines with monoclonal antibodies generated using knockout mice of ganglioside synthase genes. Glycobiology. 2016;26:984-998 pubmed..specific monoclonal antibodies (mAbs) reactive with GD1Î± or GM1b using gangliosides from brain tissues of GM3 synthase (St3gal5)-deficient mice as immunogens...
- Xia T, Zeng G, Gao L, Yu R. Sp1 and AP2 enhance promoter activity of the mouse GM3-synthase gene. Gene. 2005;351:109-18 pubmed..Therefore, our results demonstrate that Sp1 and AP2 enhance the basal activity of the TATA-less mouse GM3-synthase promoter. ..