Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Srd5a1
Description: steroid 5 alpha-reductase 1
Alias: 0610031P22Rik, 4930435F02Rik, S5AR 1, Srd5a-1, 3-oxo-5-alpha-steroid 4-dehydrogenase 1, SR type 1, type 1 5alpha-reductase
- Karolczak M, Kuppers E, Beyer C. Developmental expression and regulation of aromatase- and 5alpha-reductase type I mRNA in the male and female mouse hypothalamus. J Neuroendocrinol. 1998;10:267-74 pubmed..Our findings imply that sex differences in androgen availability and responsiveness are important regulatory factors for aromatase expression in the developing male hypothalamus. ..
- Koonce C, Walf A, Frye C. Type 1 5?-reductase may be required for estrous cycle changes in affective behaviors of female mice. Behav Brain Res. 2012;226:376-80 pubmed publisher..Thus, 5?-reductase may be required for the estrous cycle variations in affective behavior and 3?,5?-THP levels of female mice. ..
- Frye C, Koonce C, Walf A. Progesterone, compared to medroxyprogesterone acetate, to C57BL/6, but not 5?-reductase mutant, mice enhances object recognition and placement memory and is associated with higher BDNF levels in the hippocampus and cortex. Neurosci Lett. 2013;551:53-7 pubmed publisher..Levels of brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) in the prefrontal cortex and hippocampus were lowest among mice administered MPA. Thus, some of P4s effects to enhance cognitive performance may be incumbent upon its 5?-reduction. ..
- Roselli C, Finn T, Ronnekleiv Kelly S, Tanchuck M, Kaufman K, Finn D. Localization of brain 5?-reductase messenger RNA in mice selectively bred for high chronic alcohol withdrawal severity. Alcohol. 2011;45:763-72 pubmed publisher..Our recent studies examined the activity and expression of 5?-reductase (Srd5a1), the rate-limiting enzyme in the biosynthesis of ALLO, during alcohol withdrawal in mice selectively bred for ..
- Timmons B, Fairhurst A, Mahendroo M. Temporal changes in myeloid cells in the cervix during pregnancy and parturition. J Immunol. 2009;182:2700-7 pubmed publisher..Additionally, macrophages with diverse phenotypes (M1 and M2) are present in the cervix and are most likely involved in the postpartum repair of tissue. ..
- Timmons B, Mitchell S, Gilpin C, Mahendroo M. Dynamic changes in the cervical epithelial tight junction complex and differentiation occur during cervical ripening and parturition. Endocrinology. 2007;148:1278-87 pubmed
- Mahendroo M, Wilson J, Richardson J, Auchus R. Steroid 5alpha-reductase 1 promotes 5alpha-androstane-3alpha,17beta-diol synthesis in immature mouse testes by two pathways. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2004;222:113-20 pubmed
- Provost P, Tremblay Y. Mouse 3alpha-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase mRNA: a marker of lung maturity. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol. 2007;103:61-4 pubmed..5, when the maturation of type II pneumonocytes occurs, and followed its progression at least until gestation day 18.5. In conclusion, our data show that m3alpha-HSD mRNA is a reliable marker of lung maturity in normal pregnancy. ..
- Koonce C, Frye C. Female mice with deletion of Type One 5?-reductase have reduced reproductive responding during proestrus and after hormone-priming. Pharmacol Biochem Behav. 2014;122:20-9 pubmed publisher..MPA did not increase 3?,5?-THP. Thus, deletion of Type One 5?-reductase among female mice may attenuate reproductive responding during the estrous cycle and after hormone-priming. ..
- Frye C, Walf A, Rhodes M, Harney J. Progesterone enhances motor, anxiolytic, analgesic, and antidepressive behavior of wild-type mice, but not those deficient in type 1 5 alpha-reductase. Brain Res. 2004;1004:116-24 pubmed..Thus, these data suggest metabolism by the 5 alpha-reductase type I enzyme may mitigate P(4)'s effects on some tasks of motor, anxiety, nociception, and depression behavior. ..
- Livingstone D, Di Rollo E, Mak T, Sooy K, Walker B, Andrew R. Metabolic dysfunction in female mice with disruption of 5?-reductase 1. J Endocrinol. 2017;232:29-36 pubmed
- Araki R, Nishida S, Hiraki Y, Matsumoto K, Yabe T. DNA methylation of the GC box in the promoter region mediates isolation rearing-induced suppression of srd5a1 transcription in the prefrontal cortex. Neurosci Lett. 2015;606:135-9 pubmed publisher..In this study, we examined an epigenetic mechanism for transcriptional regulation of srd5a1, which codes for steroid 5Î±-reductase type I, using isolation-reared mice...
- Koonce C, Frye C. Progesterone facilitates exploration, affective and social behaviors among wildtype, but not 5?-reductase Type 1 mutant, mice. Behav Brain Res. 2013;253:232-9 pubmed publisher..Thus, metabolism of P4 by the 5?-reductase enzyme may be essential for enhancement of these behaviors. ..
- Dowman J, Hopkins L, Reynolds G, Armstrong M, Nasiri M, Nikolaou N, et al. Loss of 5?-reductase type 1 accelerates the development of hepatic steatosis but protects against hepatocellular carcinoma in male mice. Endocrinology. 2013;154:4536-47 pubmed publisher..05). 5?R1 deletion accelerates the development of hepatic steatosis but may protect against the development of NAFLD-related hepatocellular neoplasia and therefore has potential as a therapeutic target. ..
- Tanchuck Nipper M, Ford M, Hertzberg A, Beadles Bohling A, Cozzoli D, Finn D. Sex Differences in Ethanol's Anxiolytic Effect and Chronic Ethanol Withdrawal Severity in Mice with a Null Mutation of the 5Î±-Reductase Type 1 Gene. Behav Genet. 2015;45:354-67 pubmed publisher..of 5Î±-reductase-1, an important enzyme in allopregnanolone biosynthesis encoded by the 5Î±-reductase-1 gene (Srd5a1)...
- Agis Balboa R, Pinna G, Pibiri F, Kadriu B, Costa E, Guidotti A. Down-regulation of neurosteroid biosynthesis in corticolimbic circuits mediates social isolation-induced behavior in mice. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:18736-41 pubmed..In socially isolated mice, this down-regulation may account for the appearance of behavioral disorders such as anxiety, aggression, and cognitive dysfunction. ..
- Livingstone D, Barat P, Di Rollo E, Rees G, Weldin B, Rog Zielinska E, et al. 5Î±-Reductase type 1 deficiency or inhibition predisposes to insulin resistance, hepatic steatosis, and liver fibrosis in rodents. Diabetes. 2015;64:447-58 pubmed publisher..Variations in 5Î±R1 activity in obesity and with nonselective 5Î±-reductase inhibition in men with prostate disease may have important consequences for the onset and progression of metabolic liver disease. ..
- Timmons B, Mahendroo M. Timing of neutrophil activation and expression of proinflammatory markers do not support a role for neutrophils in cervical ripening in the mouse. Biol Reprod. 2006;74:236-45 pubmed..cell migration in cervix through comparisons between wild-type mice and steroid 5alpha-reductase type 1 null mice (Srd5a1-/-), which fail to undergo cervical ripening due to insufficient local progesterone metabolism...
- Cisternas C, Tome K, Caeiro X, Dadam F, Garcia Segura L, Cambiasso M. Sex chromosome complement determines sex differences in aromatase expression and regulation in the stria terminalis and anterior amygdala of the developing mouse brain. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2015;414:99-110 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, sex chromosomes determine sex dimorphisms in aromatase expression and regulation in the developing mouse brain. ..
- Marshall K, Godden E, Yang F, Burgers S, Buck K, Sikela J. In silico discovery of gene-coding variants in murine quantitative trait loci using strain-specific genome sequence databases. Genome Biol. 2002;3:RESEARCH0078 pubmed..As a test of this approach we focused on two QTLs on mouse chromosomes 1 and 13 that are involved in physical dependence on alcohol...
- Agis Balboa R, Pinna G, Zhubi A, Maloku E, Veldic M, Costa E, et al. Characterization of brain neurons that express enzymes mediating neurosteroid biosynthesis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:14602-7 pubmed