Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Sox1
Description: SRY (sex determining region Y)-box 1
Alias: BB176347, Sox-1, transcription factor SOX-1, SRY-box containing gene 1
- Takashima Y, Era T, Nakao K, Kondo S, Kasuga M, Smith A, et al. Neuroepithelial cells supply an initial transient wave of MSC differentiation. Cell. 2007;129:1377-88 pubmed..Here, we show that the earliest wave of MSC in the embryonic trunk is generated from Sox1+ neuroepithelium but not from mesoderm...
- Cambray N, Wilson V. Two distinct sources for a population of maturing axial progenitors. Development. 2007;134:2829-40 pubmed..Therefore, at least some aspects of progenitor status are conferred by the environment and are not an intrinsic property of the cells...
- Malas S, Postlethwaite M, Ekonomou A, Whalley B, Nishiguchi S, Wood H, et al. Sox1-deficient mice suffer from epilepsy associated with abnormal ventral forebrain development and olfactory cortex hyperexcitability. Neuroscience. 2003;119:421-32 pubmed..Here we present the characterization of an epilepsy syndrome caused by the absence of the transcription factor SOX1 in mice...
- Wegner M. From head to toes: the multiple facets of Sox proteins. Nucleic Acids Res. 1999;27:1409-20 pubmed..Sox proteins perform their function in a complex interplay with other transcription factors in a manner highly dependent on cell type and promoter context. They exhibit a remarkable crosstalk and functional redundancy among each other. ..
- Nishiguchi S, Wood H, Kondoh H, Lovell Badge R, Episkopou V. Sox1 directly regulates the gamma-crystallin genes and is essential for lens development in mice. Genes Dev. 1998;12:776-81 pubmed..Here we show that the targeted deletion of Sox1 in mice causes microphthalmia and cataract...
- Taranova O, Magness S, Fagan B, Wu Y, Surzenko N, Hutton S, et al. SOX2 is a dose-dependent regulator of retinal neural progenitor competence. Genes Dev. 2006;20:1187-202 pubmed
- Ijichi N, Tsujimoto N, Iwaki T, Fukumaki Y, Iwaki A. Distal Sox binding elements of the alphaB-crystallin gene show lens enhancer activity in transgenic mouse embryos. J Biochem. 2004;135:413-20 pubmed..Gel shift assays showed that the Sox1 and Sox2 proteins preferentially bound to E2 and E4...
- Perea Gomez A, Shawlot W, Sasaki H, Behringer R, Ang S. HNF3beta and Lim1 interact in the visceral endoderm to regulate primitive streak formation and anterior-posterior polarity in the mouse embryo. Development. 1999;126:4499-511 pubmed..Moreover, HNF3beta (-)(/)(-);Lim1(-)(/)(-) mutant embryos also exhibit defects in mesoderm patterning that are likely due to lack of specification of anterior primitive streak cells. ..
- Venere M, Han Y, Bell R, Song J, Alvarez Buylla A, Blelloch R. Sox1 marks an activated neural stem/progenitor cell in the hippocampus. Development. 2012;139:3938-49 pubmed publisher..These neurons originate from radial astrocytes within the subgranular zone (SGZ). Here, we find that Sox1, a member of the SoxB1 family of transcription factors, is expressed in a subset of radial astrocytes...
- Iwafuchi Doi M, Matsuda K, Murakami K, Niwa H, Tesar P, Aruga J, et al. Transcriptional regulatory networks in epiblast cells and during anterior neural plate development as modeled in epiblast stem cells. Development. 2012;139:3926-37 pubmed publisher..The direct interaction of these factors with enhancers of Otx2, Hesx1 and Sox2 genes was demonstrated. Thus, a combination of regulatory processes that suppresses non-ANP lineages and promotes neural plate development determines the ANP...
- Medina Martinez O, Shah R, Jamrich M. Pitx3 controls multiple aspects of lens development. Dev Dyn. 2009;238:2193-201 pubmed publisher..In general, our study shows that the abnormal phenotype of the ak lenses is not due to just one molecular pathway, rather in the absence of Pitx3 expression multiple aspects of lens development are disrupted. ..
- Puligilla C, Dabdoub A, Brenowitz S, Kelley M. Sox2 induces neuronal formation in the developing mammalian cochlea. J Neurosci. 2010;30:714-22 pubmed publisher..Finally, we demonstrate that nonsensory cells within the cochlea retain neural competence through at least the early postnatal period. ..
- Kicheva A, Bollenbach T, Ribeiro A, Valle H, Lovell Badge R, Episkopou V, et al. Coordination of progenitor specification and growth in mouse and chick spinal cord. Science. 2014;345:1254927 pubmed publisher..Thus, the sequential control of progenitor specification and differentiation elaborates pattern without requiring that signaling gradients grow as tissues expand. ..
- Keller C, Hansen M, Coffin C, Capecchi M. Pax3:Fkhr interferes with embryonic Pax3 and Pax7 function: implications for alveolar rhabdomyosarcoma cell of origin. Genes Dev. 2004;18:2608-13 pubmed
- Hoffman J, Wu C, Merrill B. Tcf7l1 prepares epiblast cells in the gastrulating mouse embryo for lineage specification. Development. 2013;140:1665-75 pubmed publisher..We suggest that the role of Tcf7l1 in mammals is to inhibit the GRN to ensure the coordination of lineage specification with the dynamic cellular events occurring during gastrulation. ..
- Raciti M, Granzotto M, Duc M, Fimiani C, Cellot G, Cherubini E, et al. Reprogramming fibroblasts to neural-precursor-like cells by structured overexpression of pallial patterning genes. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2013;57:42-53 pubmed publisher..overexpression of Pax6 and Foxg1 transgenes specifically activated the neural stem cell (NSC) reporter Sox1-EGFP in a substantial fraction of engineered cells...
- Molotkova N, Molotkov A, Sirbu I, Duester G. Requirement of mesodermal retinoic acid generated by Raldh2 for posterior neural transformation. Mech Dev. 2005;122:145-55 pubmed..Raldh2(-/-) embryos exhibited neural induction (activation) as evidenced by expression of Sox1 and Sox2 along the neural plate, but differentiation of spinal cord neuroectodermal progenitor cells (posterior ..
- Ko H, Chen S, Chen H, Hao H, Liu F. Cell type-selective expression of the zinc finger-containing gene Nolz-1/Zfp503 in the developing mouse striatum. Neurosci Lett. 2013;548:44-9 pubmed publisher..developing nucleus accumbens and olfactory tubercles of ventral striatum, many Nolz-1-positive cells co-expressed Sox1, an important transcriptional regulator for ventral striatum, suggesting a role of Nolz-1 in regulating development ..
- LUPU F, Burnett J, Eggenschwiler J. Cell cycle-related kinase regulates mammalian eye development through positive and negative regulation of the Hedgehog pathway. Dev Biol. 2018;434:24-35 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that CCRK functions in eye development by both positively and negatively regulating the Hh pathway, and they reveal distinct requirements for Hh signaling in patterning and morphogenesis of the eyes. ..
- Burnett J, LUPU F, Eggenschwiler J. Proper ciliary assembly is critical for restricting Hedgehog signaling during early eye development in mice. Dev Biol. 2017;430:32-40 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our data suggest that proper assembly of primary cilia is critical for restricting the Hedgehog pathway during eye formation in the mouse. ..
- Ying Y, Li L, Cao W, Yan D, Zeng Q, Kong X, et al. The microtubule associated protein syntabulin is required for glucose-stimulated and cAMP-potentiated insulin secretion. FEBS Lett. 2012;586:3674-80 pubmed publisher..Additionally, syntabulin was preferentially phosphorylated by the Epac2 agonist 8-pCPT-2'-O-Me-cAMP, suggesting that syntabulin could be a novel effector of Epac2 and play a critical role in cAMP-enhanced insulin secretion. ..
- Pei Y, Brun S, Markant S, Lento W, Gibson P, Taketo M, et al. WNT signaling increases proliferation and impairs differentiation of stem cells in the developing cerebellum. Development. 2012;139:1724-33 pubmed publisher..These studies suggest that the WNT pathway is a potent regulator of cerebellar stem cell growth and differentiation. ..
- Sakakura E, Eiraku M, Takata N. Specification of embryonic stem cell-derived tissues into eye fields by Wnt signaling using rostral diencephalic tissue-inducing culture. Mech Dev. 2016;141:90-9 pubmed publisher..Here we provide a new avenue for exploring the mechanisms of eye field specification in vitro. ..
- Li C, Hong T, Tung Y, Yen Y, Hsu H, Lü Y, et al. MicroRNA filters Hox temporal transcription noise to confer boundary formation in the spinal cord. Nat Commun. 2017;8:14685 pubmed publisher..Our results provide a novel trans Hox-miRNA circuit filtering transcription noise and controlling the timing of protein expression to confer robust individual MN identity. ..
- Maeda A, Moriguchi T, Hamada M, Kusakabe M, Fujioka Y, Nakano T, et al. Transcription factor GATA-3 is essential for lens development. Dev Dyn. 2009;238:2280-91 pubmed publisher..Thus, these observations suggest that GATA-3 is essential for lens cells differentiation and proper cell cycle control. ..
- Kan L, Jalali A, Zhao L, Zhou X, McGuire T, Kazanis I, et al. Dual function of Sox1 in telencephalic progenitor cells. Dev Biol. 2007;310:85-98 pubmedThe transcription factor, Sox1 has been implicated in the maintenance of neural progenitor cell status, but accumulating evidence suggests that this is only part of its function...
- Alcock J, Sottile V. Dynamic distribution and stem cell characteristics of Sox1-expressing cells in the cerebellar cortex. Cell Res. 2009;19:1324-33 pubmed publisher..at the molecular level, we have analyzed marker expression and established that adult Bergmann glia express Sox1, Sox2 and Sox9, a feature otherwise associated with neural stem cells (NSCs)...
- Martínez C, Cornejo V, Lois P, Ellis T, Solis N, Wainwright B, et al. Proliferation of murine midbrain neural stem cells depends upon an endogenous sonic hedgehog (Shh) source. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e65818 pubmed publisher..We conclude that endogenous Shh signaling is a critical mechanism regulating the proliferation of stem cell lineages in the embryonic dorsal tissue. ..
- Vasistha N, GarcÃa Moreno F, Arora S, Cheung A, Arnold S, Robertson E, et al. Cortical and Clonal Contribution of Tbr2 Expressing Progenitors in the Developing Mouse Brain. Cereb Cortex. 2015;25:3290-302 pubmed publisher..Our study also describes extracortical contributions from Tbr2+ progenitors to the lateral olfactory tract and ventromedial hypothalamic nucleus. ..
- Lioubinski O, Müller M, Wegner M, Sander M. Expression of Sox transcription factors in the developing mouse pancreas. Dev Dyn. 2003;227:402-8 pubmed..The expression patterns of Sox genes in the embryonic pancreas suggest that they could have important and possibly redundant functions in pancreas development. ..
- Zhao H, Yang T, Madakashira B, Thiels C, Bechtle C, Garcia C, et al. Fibroblast growth factor receptor signaling is essential for lens fiber cell differentiation. Dev Biol. 2008;318:276-88 pubmed publisher..Therefore, while signaling by FGF receptors is essential for lens fiber differentiation, different FGF receptors function redundantly. ..
- Vats K, Ishwad C, Singla I, Vats A, Ferrell R, Ellis D, et al. A locus for renal malformations including vesico-ureteric reflux on chromosome 13q33-34. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2006;17:1158-67 pubmed..Herein is reported a new locus on chromosome 13q33q34 that can be associated with VUR with several genes showing mRNA expression patterns that suggest their potential for involvement in renal/urinary tract developmental anomalies...
- Masek J, Machon O, Korinek V, Taketo M, Kozmik Z. Tcf7l1 protects the anterior neural fold from adopting the neural crest fate. Development. 2016;143:2206-16 pubmed publisher..This reduces the developing prosencephalon without affecting the anterior-posterior neural character. Thus, Tcf7l1 defines the border between the NC and the prospective forebrain via restriction of the Wnt/?-catenin signaling gradient. ..
- Nagai K. Molecular evolution of Sry and Sox gene. Gene. 2001;270:161-9 pubmed..This rapid evolution of Sry might agree with the fact that the Srys are present not on the pseudoautosomal region but on the distal region with no recombination of the Y chromosomal short arm. ..
- Camus A, Perea Gomez A, Moreau A, Collignon J. Absence of Nodal signaling promotes precocious neural differentiation in the mouse embryo. Dev Biol. 2006;295:743-55 pubmed
- Kawasaki K, Kawasaki M, Watanabe M, Idrus E, Nagai T, Oommen S, et al. Expression of Sox genes in tooth development. Int J Dev Biol. 2015;59:471-8 pubmed publisher..We carried out comparative in situ hybridization analysis of seventeen sox genes (Sox1-14, 17, 18, 21) during murine odontogenesis from the epithelial thickening to the cytodifferentiation stages...
- Kaltezioti V, Antoniou D, Stergiopoulos A, Rozani I, Rohrer H, Politis P. Prox1 regulates Olig2 expression to modulate binary fate decisions in spinal cord neurons. J Neurosci. 2014;34:15816-31 pubmed publisher..These observations indicate that Prox1 controls binary fate decisions between MNs and V2 interneurons in NPCs via direct repression of Olig2 gene regulatory elements. ..
- Schreiner S, Cossais F, Fischer K, Scholz S, Bösl M, Holtmann B, et al. Hypomorphic Sox10 alleles reveal novel protein functions and unravel developmental differences in glial lineages. Development. 2007;134:3271-81 pubmed
- Yu H, Liu B, Costantini F, Hsu W. Impaired neural development caused by inducible expression of Axin in transgenic mice. Mech Dev. 2007;124:146-56 pubmed..Our data support the conclusion that the development of embryonic neural axis is highly sensitive to the level of Wnt signaling. ..
- Rhinn M, Dierich A, Shawlot W, Behringer R, Le Meur M, Ang S. Sequential roles for Otx2 in visceral endoderm and neuroectoderm for forebrain and midbrain induction and specification. Development. 1998;125:845-56 pubmed..Altogether, these results demonstrate that Otx2 is first required in the visceral endoderm for the induction, and subsequently in the neuroectoderm for the specification of forebrain and midbrain territories. ..
- Huettl R, Eckstein S, Stahl T, Petricca S, Ninkovic J, GÃ¶tz M, et al. Functional dissection of the Pax6 paired domain: Roles in neural tube patterning and peripheral nervous system development. Dev Biol. 2016;413:86-103 pubmed publisher..Individual sub-domains can exert distinct functions, generating a new level of complexity for transcriptional regulation by one single transcription factor not only in dorso-ventral, but also rostro-caudal neural tube patterning. ..
- Kueh A, Dixon M, Voss A, Thomas T. HBO1 is required for H3K14 acetylation and normal transcriptional activity during embryonic development. Mol Cell Biol. 2011;31:845-60 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, the primary role of HBO1 in development is that of a transcriptional activator, which is indispensable for H3K14 acetylation and for the normal expression of essential genes regulating embryonic development. ..
- Shaham O, Smith A, Robinson M, Taketo M, Lang R, Ashery Padan R. Pax6 is essential for lens fiber cell differentiation. Development. 2009;136:2567-78 pubmed publisher..This study reveals that Pax6 is pivotal for initiation of the lens fiber differentiation program in the mammalian eye...
- Iulianella A, Sharma M, Vanden Heuvel G, Trainor P. Cux2 functions downstream of Notch signaling to regulate dorsal interneuron formation in the spinal cord. Development. 2009;136:2329-34 pubmed publisher..Together with the requirement for Cux2 in cell cycle progression, our work highlights the mechanistic complexity in balancing neural progenitor maintenance and differentiation during spinal cord neurogenesis...
- Whitmore C, Fernandez Fuente M, Booler H, Parr C, Kavishwar M, Ashraf A, et al. The transgenic expression of LARGE exacerbates the muscle phenotype of dystroglycanopathy mice. Hum Mol Genet. 2014;23:1842-55 pubmed publisher..We have now overcome this by crossing FKRP(KD) mice with those expressing Cre recombinase under the Sox1 promoter...
- Michibata H, Okuno T, Konishi N, Wakimoto K, Kyono K, Aoki K, et al. Inhibition of mouse GPM6A expression leads to decreased differentiation of neurons derived from mouse embryonic stem cells. Stem Cells Dev. 2008;17:641-51 pubmed publisher..against GPM6A markedly reduced the expression of neuroectodermal-associated genes (OTX1, Lmx1b, En1, Pax2, Pax5, Sox1, Sox2, and Wnt1), and also the number of neural stem cells (NSC) derived from D3mshM6A cells compared to control ..
- Hayashi M, Pluchinotta M, Momiyama A, Tanaka Y, Nishikawa S, Kataoka H. Endothelialization and altered hematopoiesis by persistent Etv2 expression in mice. Exp Hematol. 2012;40:738-750.e11 pubmed publisher..While promoting hematopoiesis/vasculogenesis, Etv2 expression should be tightly regulated to achieve normal vascular development and hematopoiesis. ..
- Aoki H, Hara A, Era T, Kunisada T, Yamada Y. Genetic ablation of Rest leads to in vitro-specific derepression of neuronal genes during neurogenesis. Development. 2012;139:667-77 pubmed publisher..Our findings highlight the significance of extrinsic signals for the proper intrinsic regulation of neuronal gene expression levels in the specification of cell fate during embryonic neurogenesis in vivo. ..
- Fotopoulou S, Oikonomou N, Grigorieva E, Nikitopoulou I, Paparountas T, Thanassopoulou A, et al. ATX expression and LPA signalling are vital for the development of the nervous system. Dev Biol. 2010;339:451-64 pubmed publisher..Finally, expression profiling of mutant embryos revealed attenuated embryonic expression of HIF-1a in the absence of ATX, suggesting a novel effector pathway of ATX/LPA. ..
- Dravis C, Spike B, Harrell J, Johns C, Trejo C, Southard Smith E, et al. Sox10 Regulates Stem/Progenitor and Mesenchymal Cell States in Mammary Epithelial Cells. Cell Rep. 2015;12:2035-48 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate a signaling mechanism through which stem and mesenchymal states are acquired in mammary cells and suggest therapeutic avenues in breast cancers for which targeted therapies are currently unavailable. ..
- Di Gregorio A, Sancho M, Stuckey D, Crompton L, Godwin J, Mishina Y, et al. BMP signalling inhibits premature neural differentiation in the mouse embryo. Development. 2007;134:3359-69 pubmed..Together, our results demonstrate that inhibition of BMP signalling has a central role during neural induction in mammals and suggest that FGFs do not act as neural inducers in the post-implantation mouse embryo. ..
- Ring B, Cordes S, Overbeek P, Barsh G. Regulation of mouse lens fiber cell development and differentiation by the Maf gene. Development. 2000;127:307-17 pubmed..This phenotype partially overlaps with those reported for gene targeting of Prox1 and Sox1; however, expression of these genes is grossly normal, as is expression of Eya1, Eya2, Pax6, and Sox2...
- Malas S, Sartor M, Duthie S, Hadjantonakis K, Lovell Badge R, Episkopou V. Genetic and physical mapping of the murine Sox1 gene. Mamm Genome. 1996;7:620-1 pubmed
- Kamachi Y, Uchikawa M, Collignon J, Lovell Badge R, Kondoh H. Involvement of Sox1, 2 and 3 in the early and subsequent molecular events of lens induction. Development. 1998;125:2521-32 pubmed..One of the deltaEF2 factors was previously identified as SOX2. We show that two related SOX proteins, SOX1 and SOX3, account for the remaining members of deltaEF2...
- Tyser R, Miranda A, Chen C, Davidson S, Srinivas S, Riley P. Calcium handling precedes cardiac differentiation to initiate the first heartbeat. elife. 2016;5: pubmed publisher..NCX1 blockade impacted on CaMKII signalling to down-regulate cardiac gene expression, leading to impaired differentiation and failed crescent maturation. ..
- Goudreau G, Petrou P, Reneker L, Graw J, Löster J, Gruss P. Mutually regulated expression of Pax6 and Six3 and its implications for the Pax6 haploinsufficient lens phenotype. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2002;99:8719-24 pubmed..Our findings thus provide a mechanism implicating gene regulatory interactions between Pax6 and Six3 in the tissue-specific defects found in Pax6 heterozygous mice. ..
- Watanabe M, Kawasaki K, Kawasaki M, Portaveetus T, Oommen S, Blackburn J, et al. Spatio-temporal expression of Sox genes in murine palatogenesis. Gene Expr Patterns. 2016;21:111-8 pubmed publisher..We carried out comparative in situ hybridisation analysis of seventeen Sox genes (Sox1-14, 17, 18 and 21) during murine palatogenesis from initiation to fusion of the palatal shelves above the dorsal ..
- Panayi H, Panayiotou E, Orford M, Genethliou N, Mean R, Lapathitis G, et al. Sox1 is required for the specification of a novel p2-derived interneuron subtype in the mouse ventral spinal cord. J Neurosci. 2010;30:12274-80 pubmed publisher..Here we have used genetic fate mapping and loss-of-function analysis to show that the transcription factor Sox1 is expressed in, and is required for, a third type of p2-derived interneuron, which we named V2c...
- Bachleda A, Pevny L, Weiss E. Sox2-Deficient Müller Glia Disrupt the Structural and Functional Maturation of the Mammalian Retina. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2016;57:1488-99 pubmed publisher..Prior to this work, SOX2 was known to have a primary role in determining cell fate. Our experiments bypass cell fate conversion to establish a new role for SOX2 in a committed cell lineage. ..
- Hedlund E, Belnoue L, Theofilopoulos S, Salto C, Bye C, Parish C, et al. Dopamine Receptor Antagonists Enhance Proliferation and Neurogenesis of Midbrain Lmx1a-expressing Progenitors. Sci Rep. 2016;6:26448 pubmed publisher..Altogether our results indicate a potential for reactivation of resident midbrain cells with dopamine progenitor potential beyond the normal period of dopamine neurogenesis. ..
- Behlke M, Bogan J, Beer Romero P, Page D. Evidence that the SRY protein is encoded by a single exon on the human Y chromosome. Genomics. 1993;17:736-9 pubmed..Within this CpG island lies the sequence CGCCCCGC, a potential binding site for the EGR-1/WT1 family of transcription factors, some of which appear to function in gonadal development. ..
- Lammert F, Paigen B, Carey M. Localization of the ileal sodium-bile salt cotransporter gene (Slc10a2) to mouse chromosome 8. Mamm Genome. 1998;9:173-4 pubmed
- Wigle J, Chowdhury K, Gruss P, Oliver G. Prox1 function is crucial for mouse lens-fibre elongation. Nat Genet. 1999;21:318-22 pubmed..Our data provide evidence that the progression of terminal fibre differentiation and elongation is dependent on Prox1 activity during lens development. ..
- Fernandez Diaz L, Laurent A, Girasoli S, Turco M, Longobardi E, Iotti G, et al. The absence of Prep1 causes p53-dependent apoptosis of mouse pluripotent epiblast cells. Development. 2010;137:3393-403 pubmed publisher..Despite this early lethal phenotype, Prep1 is not essential for ES cell establishment. A differential embryonic expression pattern underscores the unique function of Prep1 within the Meis-Prep family. ..
- Bazzi H, Soroka E, Alcorn H, Anderson K. STRIP1, a core component of STRIPAK complexes, is essential for normal mesoderm migration in the mouse embryo. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2017;114:E10928-E10936 pubmed publisher..The results show that STRIPAK complexes are essential for cell migration and tissue morphogenesis in vivo. ..
- Aoki H, Hara A, Oomori Y, Shimizu Y, Yamada Y, Kunisada T. Neonatal lethality of neural crest cell-specific Rest knockout mice is associated with gastrointestinal distension caused by aberrations of myenteric plexus. Genes Cells. 2014;19:723-42 pubmed publisher..The observed gastrointestinal distension phenotype provides a model for understanding the genetic and molecular basis of NCC defects in humans. ..
- Gratsch T, O Shea K. Noggin and chordin have distinct activities in promoting lineage commitment of mouse embryonic stem (ES) cells. Dev Biol. 2002;245:83-94 pubmed..These data suggest that, consistent with their different expression fields, noggin and chordin may play distinct roles in patterning the early mouse embryo. ..
- Oosterveen T, Kurdija S, Ensterö M, Uhde C, Bergsland M, Sandberg M, et al. SoxB1-driven transcriptional network underlies neural-specific interpretation of morphogen signals. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013;110:7330-5 pubmed publisher..Accordingly, not only does the topology of SoxB1-driven gene regulatory networks provide a tissue-specific mode of gene activation, but it also determines the spatial expression pattern of target genes within the developing neural tube. ..
- Wright E, Snopek B, Koopman P. Seven new members of the Sox gene family expressed during mouse development. Nucleic Acids Res. 1993;21:744 pubmed
- Mesnard D, Donnison M, Fuerer C, Pfeffer P, Constam D. The microenvironment patterns the pluripotent mouse epiblast through paracrine Furin and Pace4 proteolytic activities. Genes Dev. 2011;25:1871-80 pubmed publisher..Adding cell-cell communication to the pleiotropic portfolio of these proteases provides a new framework to study proprotein processing also in other relevant contexts. ..
- Wataya T, Ando S, Muguruma K, Ikeda H, Watanabe K, Eiraku M, et al. Minimization of exogenous signals in ES cell culture induces rostral hypothalamic differentiation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:11796-801 pubmed publisher..These findings indicate that, instead of the addition of inductive signals, minimization of exogenous patterning signaling plays a key role in rostral hypothalamic specification of neural progenitors derived from pluripotent cells. ..
- Stolt C, Schmitt S, Lommes P, Sock E, Wegner M. Impact of transcription factor Sox8 on oligodendrocyte specification in the mouse embryonic spinal cord. Dev Biol. 2005;281:309-17 pubmed..Oligodendrocyte development thus relies on the differential contribution of all three group E Sox proteins at various phases. ..
- Kropp M, Wilson S. The expression profile of the tumor suppressor gene Lzts1 suggests a role in neuronal development. Dev Dyn. 2012;241:984-94 pubmed publisher..Taken together, the spatial and temporal distribution of Lzts1 is consistent with a potential function(s) in cell cycle regulation, axon growth or guidance, and/or migration of neurons. ..
- Gubbay J, Collignon J, Koopman P, Capel B, Economou A, Munsterberg A, et al. A gene mapping to the sex-determining region of the mouse Y chromosome is a member of a novel family of embryonically expressed genes. Nature. 1990;346:245-50 pubmed..This gene is a member of a new family of at least five mouse genes, related by an amino-acid motif showing homology to other known or putative DNA-binding domains. ..
- Lee R, Nagai H, Nakaya Y, Sheng G, Trainor P, Weston J, et al. Cell delamination in the mesencephalic neural fold and its implication for the origin of ectomesenchyme. Development. 2013;140:4890-902 pubmed publisher..transition from a lateral neural fold domain that does not express definitive neural markers, such as Sox1 and N-cadherin...
- Zhao H, Yang Y, Partanen J, Ciruna B, Rossant J, Robinson M. Fibroblast growth factor receptor 1 (Fgfr1) is not essential for lens fiber differentiation in mice. Mol Vis. 2006;12:15-25 pubmed..Overall, our results demonstrate that Fgfr1 is not cell autonomously essential for lens development and suggests functional redundancy among different FGF receptor genes with respect to lens fiber differentiation. ..
- Fujimoto M, Hayashi H, Takagi Y, Hayase M, Marumo T, Gomi M, et al. Transplantation of telencephalic neural progenitors induced from embryonic stem cells into subacute phase of focal cerebral ischemia. Lab Invest. 2012;92:522-31 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, we purified the progenitors expressing the neural progenitor marker Sox1 by fluorescence-activated cell sorting and Sox1-positive neural progenitors prevented tumor formation in ischemic ..
- Yoshimura N, Motohashi T, Aoki H, Tezuka K, Watanabe N, Wakaoka T, et al. Dual origin of melanocytes defined by Sox1 expression and their region-specific distribution in mammalian skin. Dev Growth Differ. 2013;55:270-81 pubmed publisher..In this study, we show that a NCC population that is not derived from Sox1(+) dorsal neuroepithelial cells but are derived from Sox1(-) cells differentiate into a significant population of ..
- Adikusuma F, Pederick D, McAninch D, Hughes J, Thomas P. Functional Equivalence of the SOX2 and SOX3 Transcription Factors in the Developing Mouse Brain and Testes. Genetics. 2017;206:1495-1503 pubmed publisher..Together, these in vivo data provide strong evidence that SOX2 and SOX3 proteins are functionally equivalent. ..