Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Sncb
Description: synuclein, beta
Alias: AI838531, betaSYN, beta-synuclein
- Chandra S, Fornai F, Kwon H, Yazdani U, Atasoy D, Liu X, et al. Double-knockout mice for alpha- and beta-synucleins: effect on synaptic functions. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2004;101:14966-71 pubmed..These results show that synucleins are not essential components of the basic machinery for neurotransmitter release but may contribute to the long-term regulation and/or maintenance of presynaptic function. ..
- Chandra S, Gallardo G, Fernandez Chacon R, Schlüter O, Sudhof T. Alpha-synuclein cooperates with CSPalpha in preventing neurodegeneration. Cell. 2005;123:383-96 pubmed
- Israeli E, Sharon R. Beta-synuclein occurs in vivo in lipid-associated oligomers and forms hetero-oligomers with alpha-synuclein. J Neurochem. 2009;108:465-74 pubmed publisher..We show the in vivo occurrence of hetero-oligomers of alphaS and betaS and suggest that betaS expression inhibits PUFA-enhanced alphaS oligomerization by forming hetero-oligomers up to a quatramer that do not further propagate. ..
- Vargas K, Makani S, Davis T, Westphal C, Castillo P, Chandra S. Synucleins regulate the kinetics of synaptic vesicle endocytosis. J Neurosci. 2014;34:9364-76 pubmed publisher..Our results categorize ?-synuclein with other familial PD genes known to regulate SV endocytosis, implicating this pathway in PD. ..
- Winner B, Regensburger M, Schreglmann S, Boyer L, Prots I, Rockenstein E, et al. Role of ?-synuclein in adult neurogenesis and neuronal maturation in the dentate gyrus. J Neurosci. 2012;32:16906-16 pubmed publisher..The current work provides novel insights into the role of ?-synuclein in adult hippocampal neurogenesis. ..
- Akil O, Weber C, Park S, Ninkina N, Buchman V, Lustig L. Localization of synucleins in the mammalian cochlea. J Assoc Res Otolaryngol. 2008;9:452-63 pubmed publisher..Whether overlapping roles of the other synucleins help compensate for the loss of gamma-synuclein remains to be determined. ..
- Hsu L, Mallory M, Xia Y, Veinbergs I, Hashimoto M, Yoshimoto M, et al. Expression pattern of synucleins (non-Abeta component of Alzheimer's disease amyloid precursor protein/alpha-synuclein) during murine brain development. J Neurochem. 1998;71:338-44 pubmed
- Ludtmann M, Angelova P, Ninkina N, Gandhi S, Buchman V, Abramov A. Monomeric Alpha-Synuclein Exerts a Physiological Role on Brain ATP Synthase. J Neurosci. 2016;36:10510-10521 pubmed..The ability of monomeric ?-synuclein to enhance ATP synthase efficiency under physiological conditions may be of importance when ?-synuclein undergoes the misfolding and aggregation reported in PD. ..
- Vargas K, Schrod N, Davis T, Fernández Busnadiego R, Taguchi Y, Laugks U, et al. Synucleins Have Multiple Effects on Presynaptic Architecture. Cell Rep. 2017;18:161-173 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our results suggest that synucleins are important orchestrators of presynaptic terminal topography. ..
- Logan T, Bendor J, Toupin C, THORN K, Edwards R. ?-Synuclein promotes dilation of the exocytotic fusion pore. Nat Neurosci. 2017;20:681-689 pubmed publisher..Remarkably, mutations that cause Parkinson's disease abrogate this property of ?-synuclein without impairing its ability to inhibit exocytosis when overexpressed, indicating a selective defect in normal function. ..
- Lambertsen K, Gramsbergen J, Sivasaravanaparan M, Ditzel N, Sevelsted Møller L, Oliván Viguera A, et al. Genetic KCa3.1-deficiency produces locomotor hyperactivity and alterations in cerebral monoamine levels. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e47744 pubmed publisher..The tranquilizing effects of low-dose SKA-31 raise the possibility to use KCa3.1/KCa2 channels as novel pharmacological targets for the treatment of neuropsychiatric hyperactivity disorders. ..
- Thomas B, Mandir A, West N, Liu Y, Andrabi S, Stirling W, et al. Resistance to MPTP-neurotoxicity in ?-synuclein knockout mice is complemented by human ?-synuclein and associated with increased ?-synuclein and Akt activation. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e16706 pubmed publisher..Together these findings provide new mechanistic insights on the role ?-synuclein in modulating neurodegenerative phenotypes by regulation of Akt-mediated cell survival signaling in vivo. ..
- Windisch M, Hutter Paier B, Rockenstein E, Hashimoto M, Mallory M, Masliah E. Development of a new treatment for Alzheimer's disease and Parkinson's disease using anti-aggregatory beta-synuclein-derived peptides. J Mol Neurosci. 2002;19:63-9 pubmed..Further smaller beta-synuclein-derived peptides have screened for antiaggregatory and neuroprotective potency in different tissue-culture systems. Preliminary data suggest some of them can be used as leads for further drug development. ..
- Lavedan C. The synuclein family. Genome Res. 1998;8:871-80 pubmed..The present review offers a synopsis of the current state of knowledge of all synuclein family members in different species. ..