Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Smc1b
Description: structural maintenance of chromosomes 1B
Alias: SMC-1B, SMC1beta, Smc1l2, structural maintenance of chromosomes protein 1B, SMC protein 1B, SMC-1-beta, structural maintenace of chromosomes 1B
- Novak I, Wang H, Revenkova E, Jessberger R, Scherthan H, Hoog C. Cohesin Smc1beta determines meiotic chromatin axis loop organization. J Cell Biol. 2008;180:83-90 pubmed publisher..in oocytes with shorter or longer chromosome axes depend on the structural maintenance of chromosomes 1beta (Smc1beta), a mammalian chromosome-associated meiosis-specific cohesin...
- Lee J, Iwai T, Yokota T, Yamashita M. Temporally and spatially selective loss of Rec8 protein from meiotic chromosomes during mammalian meiosis. J Cell Sci. 2003;116:2781-90 pubmed publisher..Immunoprecipitation analyses revealed that Rec8 associates with other cohesin proteins, SMC1beta (meiosis-specific protein) and SMC3 and with a component of synaptonemal complexes, SCP3, but not with SMC1alpha...
- Herrán Y, Gutiérrez Caballero C, Sanchez Martin M, Hernandez T, Viera A, Barbero J, et al. The cohesin subunit RAD21L functions in meiotic synapsis and exhibits sexual dimorphism in fertility. EMBO J. 2011;30:3091-105 pubmed publisher..Thus, our results provide in vivo evidence that RAD21L is essential for male fertility and in females for the maintenance of fertility during natural aging. ..
- Hodges C, Revenkova E, Jessberger R, Hassold T, Hunt P. SMC1beta-deficient female mice provide evidence that cohesins are a missing link in age-related nondisjunction. Nat Genet. 2005;37:1351-5 pubmed..To elucidate the role of the meiosis-specific cohesin SMC1beta (encoded by Smc1l2) in oogenesis, we carried out meiotic studies of female SMC1beta-deficient mice...
- Revenkova E, Herrmann K, Adelfalk C, Jessberger R. Oocyte cohesin expression restricted to predictyate stages provides full fertility and prevents aneuploidy. Curr Biol. 2010;20:1529-33 pubmed publisher..Frequency and size of litters prove full fertility even in aged females. Thus, SMC1? cohesin needs only be expressed during prophase I prior to the primordial follicle stage to ensure SCC up to advanced age of mice. ..
- Gutiérrez Caballero C, Herrán Y, Sanchez Martin M, Suja J, Barbero J, Llano E, et al. Identification and molecular characterization of the mammalian ?-kleisin RAD21L. Cell Cycle. 2011;10:1477-87 pubmed..RAD21L interacts with other cohesin subunits such as SMC1?, SMC1b, SMC3 and with the meiosis-specific STAG3 protein...
- Storre J, Schäfer A, Reichert N, Barbero J, Hauser S, Eilers M, et al. Silencing of the meiotic genes SMC1beta and STAG3 in somatic cells by E2F6. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:41380-6 pubmed..and E2f6-/- mouse embryonic fibroblasts, we now found that E2F6 is required to silence the meiosis-specific genes SMC1beta and STAG3 in somatic cells. Re-expression of E2F6 in E2f6-/- cells was sufficient to restore their repression...
- Biswas U, Hempel K, Llano E, Pendas A, Jessberger R. Distinct Roles of Meiosis-Specific Cohesin Complexes in Mammalian Spermatogenesis. PLoS Genet. 2016;12:e1006389 pubmed publisher..Thus, in early prophase I the most prominent roles of the meiosis-specific cohesins are in axis-related features such as axis length, synapsis and telomere integrity rather than centromeric cohesion. ..
- Takabayashi S, Yamauchi Y, Tsume M, Noguchi M, Katoh H. A spontaneous smc1b mutation causes cohesin protein dysfunction and sterility in mice. Exp Biol Med (Maywood). 2009;234:994-1001 pubmed publisherIn this paper, we describe a novel spontaneous mutation of the Smc1b gene coding a cohesin component, which causes female and male sterility...
- Mannini L, Cucco F, Quarantotti V, Amato C, Tinti M, Tana L, et al. SMC1B is present in mammalian somatic cells and interacts with mitotic cohesin proteins. Sci Rep. 2015;5:18472 pubmed publisher..Meiotic paralogs in mammals were reported for SMC1A, RAD21 and STAG1/STAG2 and are called SMC1B, REC8 and STAG3 respectively...
- Daniel K, Tränkner D, Wojtasz L, Shibuya H, Watanabe Y, Alsheimer M, et al. Mouse CCDC79 (TERB1) is a meiosis-specific telomere associated protein. BMC Cell Biol. 2014;15:17 pubmed publisher..from most telomeres that fail to connect to SUN1 protein in spermatocytes lacking the meiosis-specific cohesin SMC1B. SMC1B-deficient spermatocytes display both reduced efficiency in telomere-nuclear envelope attachment and reduced ..
- Handel M, Lessard C, Reinholdt L, Schimenti J, Eppig J. Mutagenesis as an unbiased approach to identify novel contraceptive targets. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2006;250:201-5 pubmed..Dissection of gene function in known and newly discovered reproductive pathways will expand our focus to reveal novel targets for contraception. ..
- Marangos P, Stevense M, Niaka K, Lagoudaki M, Nabti I, Jessberger R, et al. DNA damage-induced metaphase I arrest is mediated by the spindle assembly checkpoint and maternal age. Nat Commun. 2015;6:8706 pubmed publisher..Finally, we suggest escaping this DNA damage checkpoint in maternal ageing may be one of the causes of increased chromosome anomalies in oocytes and embryos from older mothers. ..
- Singh P, Schimenti J. The genetics of human infertility by functional interrogation of SNPs in mice. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2015;112:10431-6 pubmed publisher..This approach can revolutionize personalized reproductive genetics by establishing a permanent reference of benign vs. infertile alleles. ..
- Miao Y, Zhou C, Cui Z, Dai X, Zhang M, Lu Y, et al. Smc1? is required for activation of SAC during mouse oocyte meiosis. Cell Cycle. 2017;16:536-544 pubmed publisher..Collectively, we identify a novel function of Smc1? as a SAC participant beyond its role in chromosome cohesion during mouse oocyte meiosis. ..
- Winters T, McNicoll F, Jessberger R. Meiotic cohesin STAG3 is required for chromosome axis formation and sister chromatid cohesion. EMBO J. 2014;33:1256-70 pubmed publisher..No other deficiency in a single meiosis-specific cohesin causes a phenotype as drastic as STAG3 deficiency. STAG3 emerges as the key STAG cohesin involved in major functions of meiotic cohesin. ..
- Remeseiro S, Cuadrado A, Gomez Lopez G, Pisano D, Losada A. A unique role of cohesin-SA1 in gene regulation and development. EMBO J. 2012;31:2090-102 pubmed publisher..Lack of SA1 also alters cohesin-binding pattern along some gene clusters and leads to dysregulation of genes within. We hypothesize that impaired cohesin-SA1 function in gene expression underlies the molecular aetiology of CdLS. ..
- Stedman W, Kang H, Lin S, Kissil J, Bartolomei M, Lieberman P. Cohesins localize with CTCF at the KSHV latency control region and at cellular c-myc and H19/Igf2 insulators. EMBO J. 2008;27:654-66 pubmed publisher..We conclude that cohesin subunits associate with viral and cellular CTCF sites involved in complex gene regulation and chromatin organization. ..
- Vasileva A, Tiedau D, Firooznia A, MULLER REICHERT T, Jessberger R. Tdrd6 is required for spermiogenesis, chromatoid body architecture, and regulation of miRNA expression. Curr Biol. 2009;19:630-9 pubmed publisher..However, more than 50 miRNAs are more abundant in Tdrd6(-/-) testes, as are exemplary pre- and pri-miRNAs. We conclude that Tdrd6 is essential for spermiogenesis, for CB structure, and for proper mature and precursor miRNA expression. ..