Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Slc51a
Description: solute carrier family 51, alpha subunit
Alias: AV001382, AW261577, D630035O19Rik, OSTalpha, Osta, organic solute transporter subunit alpha, OST-alpha, organic solute transporter alpha, solute carrier family 51 subunit alpha
- Rao A, Haywood J, Craddock A, Belinsky M, Kruh G, Dawson P. The organic solute transporter alpha-beta, Ostalpha-Ostbeta, is essential for intestinal bile acid transport and homeostasis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:3891-6 pubmed publisher..Although the heteromeric organic solute transporter Ostalpha-Ostbeta exhibits many properties predicted for a candidate intestinal basolateral bile acid transporter, the in ..
- Li N, Cui Z, Fang F, Lee J, Ballatori N. Heterodimerization, trafficking and membrane topology of the two proteins, Ost alpha and Ost beta, that constitute the organic solute and steroid transporter. Biochem J. 2007;407:363-72 pubmed..mouse ileal proteins and transfected HEK-293 (human embryonic kidney-293) cells revealed that the two proteins, Ostalpha and Ostbeta, which generate the organic-solute transporter are able to immunoprecipitate each other, indicating a ..
- Seward D, Koh A, Boyer J, Ballatori N. Functional complementation between a novel mammalian polygenic transport complex and an evolutionarily ancient organic solute transporter, OSTalpha-OSTbeta. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:27473-82 pubmed..an organic solute transporter (OST) that is generated when two novel gene products are co-expressed, namely human OSTalpha and OSTbeta or mouse OSTalpha and OSTbeta...
- Okuwaki M, Takada T, Iwayanagi Y, Koh S, Kariya Y, Fujii H, et al. LXR alpha transactivates mouse organic solute transporter alpha and beta via IR-1 elements shared with FXR. Pharm Res. 2007;24:390-8 pubmed..liver X receptor alpha (LXRalpha) and RXRalpha into Caco-2 cells induced the transcriptional activities of both Ost alpha and beta and further increases were observed following treatment with each agonist...
- Soroka C, Velazquez H, Mennone A, Ballatori N, Boyer J. Ost? depletion protects liver from oral bile acid load. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2011;301:G574-9 pubmed publisher..after bile duct ligation in mice that are genetically deficient in the heteromeric, basolateral organic solute transporter alpha-beta (Ost?-Ost?)...
- Vergnes L, Lee J, Chin R, Auwerx J, Reue K. Diet1 functions in the FGF15/19 enterohepatic signaling axis to modulate bile acid and lipid levels. Cell Metab. 2013;17:916-28 pubmed publisher..Diet1 and FGF19 proteins exhibited overlapping subcellular localization in cultured intestinal cells. These results establish Diet1 as a control point in enterohepatic bile acid signaling and lipid homeostasis. ..
- Zollner G, Wagner M, Moustafa T, Fickert P, Silbert D, Gumhold J, et al. Coordinated induction of bile acid detoxification and alternative elimination in mice: role of FXR-regulated organic solute transporter-alpha/beta in the adaptive response to bile acids. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2006;290:G923-32 pubmed..The induction of bile acid hydroxylation and Mrp4 was independent of FXR but could not counteract liver toxicity sufficiently. Limited effects of UDCA on Ost-alpha/Ost-beta may jeopardize its therapeutic efficacy. ..
- Frankenberg T, Rao A, Chen F, Haywood J, Shneider B, Dawson P. Regulation of the mouse organic solute transporter alpha-beta, Ostalpha-Ostbeta, by bile acids. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2006;290:G912-22 pubmedThe mechanisms responsible for bile acid regulation of mouse intestinal organic solute transporter alpha-beta (Ostalpha-Ostbeta) expression were investigated...
- Christian W, Li N, Hinkle P, Ballatori N. ?-Subunit of the Ost?-Ost? organic solute transporter is required not only for heterodimerization and trafficking but also for function. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:21233-43 pubmed publisher..Together, the results demonstrate that Ost? is required for both proper trafficking of Ost? and formation of the functional transport unit, and identify specific residues of Ost? critical for these processes. ..
- Ballatori N, Christian W, Lee J, Dawson P, Soroka C, Boyer J, et al. OSTalpha-OSTbeta: a major basolateral bile acid and steroid transporter in human intestinal, renal, and biliary epithelia. Hepatology. 2005;42:1270-9 pubmed..and subcellular localization and mechanism of transport of the heteromeric organic solute transporter (OST) OSTalpha-OSTbeta was examined in human and rodent epithelia...
- Hammond C, Wheeler S, Ballatori N, Hinkle P. OstÎ±-/- mice are not protected from western diet-induced weight gain. Physiol Rep. 2015;3: pubmed publisher..Taken together, the results show that OstÎ±(-/-) mice are able to adapt to a western-style diet despite low bile acid levels. ..
- Christian W, Hinkle P. Global functions of extracellular, transmembrane and cytoplasmic domains of organic solute transporter ?-subunit. Biochem J. 2017;474:1981-1992 pubmed publisher..These results provide new insights into the structure and function of the heteromeric Ost transporter complex. ..