Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Slc22a6
Description: solute carrier family 22 (organic anion transporter), member 6
Alias: NKT, Oat1, Orctl1, mOat1, kidney-specific transport protein, mNKT, mROAT1, novel kidney transcript, organic anion transporter 1, organic cationic transporter-like 1, renal organic anion transporter 1, solute carrier family 22 member 6
- Molecular cloning and characterization of NKT, a gene product related to the organic cation transporter family that is almost exclusively expressed in the kidneyC E Lopez-Nieto
Renal and Genetics Divisions, Department of Medicine, Harvard Medical School and Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
J Biol Chem 272:6471-8. 1997We have identified a gene product (NKT) encoding an apparently novel transcript that appears to be related to the organic ion transporter family and is expressed almost exclusively in the kidney...
- Transcriptional regulation of human and mouse organic anion transporter 1 by hepatocyte nuclear factor 1 alpha/betaTakami Saji
Department of Molecular Pharmacokinetics, Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, The University of Tokyo, 7 3 1 Hongo, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo, USA
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 324:784-90. 2008b>Organic anion transporter 1 (OAT1/SLC22A6) is predominantly expressed in the proximal tubules of the kidney...
- Multi-level analysis of organic anion transporters 1, 3, and 6 reveals major differences in structural determinants of antiviral discriminationDavid M Truong
Department of Pediatrics, University of California at San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093, USA
J Biol Chem 283:8654-63. 2008..Of nine common antiviral drugs assessed in oocytes, many manifested higher affinity for SLC22a6 (mOat1), originally identified as NKT (e.g...
- Multiple organic anion transporters contribute to net renal excretion of uric acidSatish A Eraly
Department of Medicine, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093, USA
Physiol Genomics 33:180-92. 2008..null for RST, the murine ortholog of URAT1, as well as in those null for the related organic anion transporters Oat1 and Oat3...
- Activation of protein kinase Czeta increases OAT1 (SLC22A6)- and OAT3 (SLC22A8)-mediated transportScott A Barros
Laboratory of Pharmacology, NIEHS, NIH, Research Triangle Park, NC 27709, USA
J Biol Chem 284:2672-9. 2009..Increased ES transport was not observed in renal slices from OAT3-null mice. Transport of the shared OAT1/OAT3 substrate, rho-aminohippurate, behaved similarly, except that stimulation was reduced, not abolished, in the ..
- Expression patterns of the aquaporin gene family during renal development: influence of genetic variabilityKleber S Parreira
Division of Nephrology, Université Catholique de Louvain Medical School, 10 Avenue Hippocrate, 1200, Brussels, Belgium
Pflugers Arch 458:745-59. 2009..increase to adult levels, similar to the mRNA pattern observed for proximal tubule markers (Megalin, NaPi-IIa, OAT1) and reflecting the continuous increase in renal cortical structures during development...
- Interaction of organic cations with organic anion transportersSun Young Ahn
Department of Pediatrics, School of Medicine, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, California 92093, USA
J Biol Chem 284:31422-30. 2009..We now show that mouse Oat1 (mOat1) and mOat3 and, to a lesser degree, mOat6 bind a number of "prototypical" Oct substrates, including 1-..
- Expression of OAT1 and OAT3 in differentiating proximal tubules of the mouse kidneyJin Sun Hwang
Department of Anatomy, Cell Death Disease Research Center, College of Medicine, The Catholic University of Korea, Seoul, Korea
Histol Histopathol 25:33-44. 2010b>Organic anion transporter 1 (OAT1) and OAT3 in the proximal tubules (PT) of the kidney play important roles in the elimination of harmful endogenous compounds and xenobiotics from the body...
- Analysis of three-dimensional systems for developing and mature kidneys clarifies the role of OAT1 and OAT3 in antiviral handlingMegha A Nagle
Department of Pediatrics, University of California San Diego, La Jolla, California 92093, USA
J Biol Chem 286:243-51. 2011The organic anion transporters OAT1 (SLC22A6, originally identified by us as NKT) and OAT3 (SLC22A8) are critical for handling many toxins, metabolites, and drugs, including antivirals (Truong, D. M., Kaler, G., Khandelwal, A., Swaan, P...
- Tenofovir renal proximal tubular toxicity is regulated by OAT1 and MRP4 transportersJames J Kohler
Department of Pathology, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA 30033, USA
Lab Invest 91:852-8. 2011..In this study, the role(s) of organic anion transporter type 1 (OAT1) and multidrug-resistant protein type 4 (MRP4) in transport and regulation of tenofovir in proximal tubules were ..
- Untargeted metabolomics identifies enterobiome metabolites and putative uremic toxins as substrates of organic anion transporter 1 (Oat1)William R Wikoff
Genome Center, University of California Davis, CA, USA
J Proteome Res 10:2842-51. 2011Untargeted metabolomics on the plasma and urine from wild-type and organic anion transporter-1 (Oat1/Slc22a6) knockout mice identified a number of physiologically important metabolites, including several not previously linked to Oat1-..
- Structural variation governs substrate specificity for organic anion transporter (OAT) homologs. Potential remote sensing by OAT family membersGregory Kaler
Department of Medicine, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, California 92093, USA
J Biol Chem 282:23841-53. 2007..function of olfactory organic anion transporter, Oat6, in comparison with the more broadly expressed transporter, Oat1 (first identified as NKT)...
- Molecular physiology of renal organic anion transportersTakashi Sekine
Kyorin University School of Medicine, Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, 6 20 2 Shinkawa, Mitaka shi, Tokyo 181 8611, Japan
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 290:F251-61. 2006..We will also discuss the physiological roles of each organic anion transporter in the light of the transepithelial transport of organic anions in the kidneys...
- Developmentally regulated expression of organic ion transporters NKT (OAT1), OCT1, NLT (OAT2), and RoctA Pavlova
Renal, Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 278:F635-43. 2000..When we initially identified NKT, also known as OAT1, the first member of the organic anion transporter (OAT) family (Lopez-Nieto CE, You G, Bush KT, Barros EJ, Beier ..
- Chromosomal localization of CCS, the copper chaperone for Cu/Zn superoxide dismutaseT B Bartnikas
Edward Mallinckrodt Department of Pediatrics, Washington University School of Medicine, St. Louis, Missouri, USA
Mamm Genome 11:409-11. 2000
- The organic anion transporter family: from physiology to ontogeny and the clinicD H Sweet
Department of Pediatrics, Division of Nephrology Hypertension, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, California 92093, USA
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 281:F197-205. 2001..A similar spatiotemporal pattern of mRNA expression of the OATs (OAT1-4) during kidney development suggests that OAT genes may be useful in understanding the mechanisms of proximal ..
- A natural allele of Nxf1 suppresses retrovirus insertional mutationsJennifer A Floyd
Biomedical Sciences Graduate Program, UCSD School of Medicine, 9500 Gilman Drive, La Jolla, California 92093 0644, USA
Nat Genet 35:221-8. 2003..A congenic Mvb1(CAST) allele is a useful tool for modifying gene expression from existing mutations and could be used to manipulate engineered mutations containing retroviral elements...
- Cysteine residues in the organic anion transporter mOAT1Kunihiko Tanaka
Department of Pharmaceutical Science, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, 160 Frelinghuysen Road, Piscataway, NJ 08854, USA
Biochem J 380:283-7. 2004Mouse organic anion transporter 1 (mOAT1) belongs to a family of organic anion transporters, which play critical roles in the body disposition of clinically important drugs, including anti-HIV therapeutics, anti-tumour drugs, antibiotics,..
- Identification and functional assessment of the novel murine organic anion transporter Oat5 (Slc22a19) expressed in kidneyGeri L Youngblood
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, SC 29425, USA
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 287:F236-44. 2004..Slc22a19 was localized to mouse chromosome 19 near the genes encoding Oat1 (Slc22a6) and Oat3 (Slc22a8)...
- Identification of a novel murine organic anion transporter family member, OAT6, expressed in olfactory mucosaJulio C Monte
Department of Medicine, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093 0693, USA
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 323:429-36. 2004..Sequence comparisons and intron phasing analysis indicated that OAT6 is closely related to OAT1 and OAT3...
- Murine renal organic anion transporters mOAT1 and mOAT3 facilitate the transport of neuroactive tryptophan metabolitesAndrew Bahn
Zentrum für Physiologie und Pathophysiologie, Abt Vegetative Physiologie und Pathophysiologie, Universitat Gottingen, Humboldtallee 23, D 37073 Gottingen, Germany
Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 289:C1075-84. 2005..Half-maximal inhibition of mOAT1 occurred at 34 muM KYNA and 15 muM XA, and it occurred at 8 muM KYNA and 11.5 muM XA for mOAT3...
- IRIP, a new ischemia/reperfusion-inducible protein that participates in the regulation of transporter activityWei Jiang
Department of Biochemistry, Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, 675 Hoes Lane, Piscataway, NJ 08854, USA
Mol Cell Biol 25:6496-508. 2005..The activities of exogenous organic cation transporters (OCT2 and OCT3), organic anion transporter (OAT1), and monoamine transporters were also inhibited by IRIP...
- Decreased renal organic anion secretion and plasma accumulation of endogenous organic anions in OAT1 knock-out miceSatish A Eraly
Department of Medicine, University of California San Diego, La Jolla, California 92093, USA
J Biol Chem 281:5072-83. 2006..b>Organic anion transporter 1 (OAT1), originally identified as NKT (Lopez-Nieto, C. E., You, G., Bush, K. T., Barros, E. J. G...
- Deletion of multispecific organic anion transporter Oat1/Slc22a6 protects against mercury-induced kidney injuryAdriana M Torres
Farmacologia, Facultad de Ciencias Bioquimicas y Farmaceuticas, Universidad Nacional de Rosario, Consejo Nacional de Investigaciones Cientificas y Tecnicas, 2000 Rosario, Argentina
J Biol Chem 286:26391-5. 2011..Here, we investigated the in vivo role of Oat1 (organic anion transporter 1; originally NKT (Lopez-Nieto, C. E., You, G., Bush, K. T., Barros, E. J., Beier, D. R., and Nigam, S. K...