Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Slc20a1
Description: solute carrier family 20, member 1
Alias: AI607883, Glvr-1, Glvr1, sodium-dependent phosphate transporter 1, gibbon ape leukemia virus receptor 1, leukemia virus receptor 1 homolog, phosphate transporter 1, piT-1
- Ohata Y, Yamazaki M, Kawai M, Tsugawa N, Tachikawa K, Koinuma T, et al. Elevated fibroblast growth factor 23 exerts its effects on placenta and regulates vitamin D metabolism in pregnancy of Hyp mice. J Bone Miner Res. 2014;29:1627-38 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that increased levels of circulating FGF23 in pathological conditions such as Hyp mice exerts direct effects on the placenta and affects fetal vitamin D metabolism via the regulation of Cyp24a1 expression. ..
- Bourgine A, Pilet P, Diouani S, Sourice S, Lesoeur J, Beck Cormier S, et al. Mice with hypomorphic expression of the sodium-phosphate cotransporter PiT1/Slc20a1 have an unexpected normal bone mineralization. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e65979 pubmed publisher..Whether this may contribute to the absence of bone mineralization defects remains to be further deciphered. ..
- Tenenhouse H, Roy S, Martel J, Gauthier C. Differential expression, abundance, and regulation of Na+-phosphate cotransporter genes in murine kidney. Am J Physiol. 1998;275:F527-34 pubmed..Our results suggest that increased renal Glvr-1 mRNA may contribute to GH stimulation of renal Na+-Pi cotransport. ..
- Farrell K, Russ J, Murthy R, Eiden M. Reassessing the role of region A in Pit1-mediated viral entry. J Virol. 2002;76:7683-93 pubmed
- Liu L, Sanchez Bonilla M, Crouthamel M, Giachelli C, Keel S. Mice lacking the sodium-dependent phosphate import protein, PiT1 (SLC20A1), have a severe defect in terminal erythroid differentiation and early B cell development. Exp Hematol. 2013;41:432-43.e7 pubmed publisher..PiT1 (or SLC20A1) is a constitutively expressed, high-affinity sodium-dependent phosphate import protein...
- Masuda M, Miyazaki Anzai S, Keenan A, Shiozaki Y, Okamura K, Chick W, et al. Activating transcription factor-4 promotes mineralization in vascular smooth muscle cells. JCI Insight. 2016;1:e88646 pubmed..These results demonstrate that the ER stress effector ATF4 plays a critical role in the pathogenesis of vascular calcification through increased phosphate uptake in vascular SMCs. ..
- Yadav M, Bottini M, Cory E, Bhattacharya K, Kuss P, Narisawa S, et al. Skeletal Mineralization Deficits and Impaired Biogenesis and Function of Chondrocyte-Derived Matrix Vesicles in Phospho1(-/-) and Phospho1/Pi t1 Double-Knockout Mice. J Bone Miner Res. 2016;31:1275-86 pubmed publisher..These data support the involvement of phosphate transporter 1, hereafter referred to as Pi T-1, in the initiation of skeletal mineralization and provide compelling ..
- Chavkin N, Chia J, Crouthamel M, Giachelli C. Phosphate uptake-independent signaling functions of the type III sodium-dependent phosphate transporter, PiT-1, in vascular smooth muscle cells. Exp Cell Res. 2015;333:39-48 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that both Pi uptake-dependent and -independent functions of PiT-1 are important for VSMC processes mediating vascular calcification. ..
- Khadeer M, Tang Z, Tenenhouse H, Eiden M, Murer H, Hernando N, et al. Na+-dependent phosphate transporters in the murine osteoclast: cellular distribution and protein interactions. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2003;284:C1633-44 pubmed..Taken together, our data suggest that association of Npt2a with NHERF-1, ezrin, and actin, and of PiT-1 with actin, may be responsible for membrane sorting and regulation of these Na/P(i) cotransporters in the osteoclast. ..
- Wilson C, Farrell K, Eiden M. Comparison of cDNAs encoding the gibbon ape leukaemia virus receptor from susceptible and non-susceptible murine cells. J Gen Virol. 1994;75 ( Pt 8):1901-8 pubmed..m. musculus and M. dunni proteins, but similar to that of the functional human GaLV receptor. These results confirm the importance of the amino acids of this region in GaLV receptor function...
- Crouthamel M, Lau W, Leaf E, Chavkin N, Wallingford M, Peterson D, et al. Sodium-dependent phosphate cotransporters and phosphate-induced calcification of vascular smooth muscle cells: redundant roles for PiT-1 and PiT-2. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2013;33:2625-32 pubmed publisher..PiT-2 can mediate phosphate uptake and calcification of VSMCs in the absence of PiT-1. Mechanistically, PiT-1 and PiT-2 seem to serve redundant roles in phosphate-induced calcification of VSMCs. ..
- Forand A, Koumakis E, Rousseau A, Sassier Y, Journe C, Merlin J, et al. Disruption of the Phosphate Transporter Pit1 in Hepatocytes Improves Glucose Metabolism and Insulin Signaling by Modulating the USP7/IRS1 Interaction. Cell Rep. 2016;16:2736-2748 pubmed publisher..In this study, we demonstrate a role for the phosphate inorganic transporter 1 (PiT1/SLC20A1) in regulating metabolism...
- Sheen C, Kuss P, Narisawa S, Yadav M, Nigro J, Wang W, et al. Pathophysiological role of vascular smooth muscle alkaline phosphatase in medial artery calcification. J Bone Miner Res. 2015;30:824-36 pubmed publisher..This study shows that TNAP in the vasculature contributes to the pathology of MVC and that it is a druggable target. ..
- Johann S, van Zeijl M, Cekleniak J, O HARA B. Definition of a domain of GLVR1 which is necessary for infection by gibbon ape leukemia virus and which is highly polymorphic between species. J Virol. 1993;67:6733-6 pubmedExpression of human GLVR1 in mouse cells confers susceptibility to infection by gibbon ape leukemia virus (GALV), while the normally expressed mouse Glvr-1 does not...
- Sekiguchi S, Suzuki A, Asano S, Nishiwaki Yasuda K, Shibata M, Nagao S, et al. Phosphate overload induces podocyte injury via type III Na-dependent phosphate transporter. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2011;300:F848-56 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, our findings suggest that overexpression of Pit-1 in rats induces phosphate-dependent podocyte injury and damage to the glomerular barrier, which result in the progression of glomerular sclerosis in the kidney. ..
- Forand A, Beck L, Leroy C, Rousseau A, Boitez V, Cohen I, et al. EKLF-driven PIT1 expression is critical for mouse erythroid maturation in vivo and in vitro. Blood. 2013;121:666-78 pubmed publisherThe PIT1/SLC20A1 protein, a well-described sodium/phosphate cotransporter and retrovirus receptor, has been identified recently as a modular of proliferation and apoptosis in vitro...
- Kaelbling M, Eddy R, Shows T, Copeland N, Gilbert D, Jenkins N, et al. Localization of the human gene allowing infection by gibbon ape leukemia virus to human chromosome region 2q11-q14 and to the homologous region on mouse chromosome 2. J Virol. 1991;65:1743-7 pubmed..These receptors include CD4 for human immunodeficiency virus, Rec-1 for murine ecotropic virus, and GLVR1 for gibbon ape leukemia virus. These three proteins show no homology to one another at the DNA or protein level...
- Adamson M, Silver J, Kozak C. The mouse homolog of the Gibbon ape leukemia virus receptor: genetic mapping and a possible receptor function in rodents. Virology. 1991;183:778-81 pubmed..We speculate that a functional receptor for GALV-related viruses was expressed during Mus evolution. ..
- Yoshioka H, Yoshiko Y, Minamizaki T, Suzuki S, Koma Y, Nobukiyo A, et al. Incisor enamel formation is impaired in transgenic rats overexpressing the type III NaPi transporter Slc20a1. Calcif Tissue Int. 2011;89:192-202 pubmed publisher..Recently, we showed that Pi transport in osteoblasts, mediated by Slc20a1, a member of the type III sodium-dependent phosphate transporter family, is indispensable for osteoid ..
- Palmer G, Manen D, Bonjour J, Caverzasio J. Structure of the murine Pit1 phosphate transporter/retrovirus receptor gene and functional characterization of its promoter region. Gene. 2000;244:35-45 pubmed..Furthermore, a comparison of mouse and human promoters will hopefully allow a better understanding of general mechanisms regulating Pit1 expression in different species. ..
- Sugita A, Kawai S, Hayashibara T, Amano A, Ooshima T, Michigami T, et al. Cellular ATP synthesis mediated by type III sodium-dependent phosphate transporter Pit-1 is critical to chondrogenesis. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:3094-103 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that cellular ATP synthesis consequent to P(i) uptake via Pit-1 plays an important role in chondrocyte apoptosis and mineralization, and that chondrogenesis is ATP-dependent. ..
- Wallingford M, Gammill H, Giachelli C. Slc20a2 deficiency results in fetal growth restriction and placental calcification associated with thickened basement membranes and novel CD13 and lamininÎ±1 expressing cells. Reprod Biol. 2016;16:13-26 pubmed publisher..Established parameters for placental phosphate transport match those of the type III phosphate transporters, Slc20a1 and Slc20a2. Both members are expressed in human placenta, and their altered expression is linked to preeclampsia...
- Taylor S, Renshaw B, Garka K, Smith D, Sims J. Genomic organization of the interleukin-1 locus. Genomics. 2002;79:726-33 pubmed..There is a break in the mouse locus of > 100 kb, compared with the human locus, located between Il1b and the most centromere-proximal of the novel mouse genes. The mouse seems to be missing an ortholog of human IL1F7. ..