Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Slc12a1
Description: solute carrier family 12, member 1
Alias: AI788571, D630042G03Rik, Nkcc2, mBSC1, urehr3, solute carrier family 12 member 1, BSC1, bumetanide-sensitive cotransporter type 1, bumetanide-sensitive sodium-(potassium)-chloride cotransporter 2, kidney-specific Na-K-Cl symporter
- Regulation of the renal-specific Na+-K+-2Cl- co-transporter NKCC2 by AMP-activated protein kinase (AMPK)Scott A Fraser
The Burnet Research Institute, Austin Health, Studley Road, Heidelberg, Victoria 3084, Australia
Biochem J 405:85-93. 2007The renal-specific NKCC2 (Na+-K+-2Cl- co-transporter 2) is regulated by changes in phosphorylation state, however, the phosphorylation sites and kinases responsible have not been fully elucidated...
- Mutation of the Na(+)-K(+)-2Cl(-) cotransporter NKCC2 in mice is associated with severe polyuria and a urea-selective concentrating defect without hyperreninemiaElisabeth Kemter
Molecular Animal Breeding and Biotechnology, and Laboratory for Functional Genome Analysis LAFUGA, Gene Center, LMU Munich, Munich, Germany
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 298:F1405-15. 2010..In humans, loss-of-function mutations of the solute carrier family 12 member 1 gene (SLC12A1), coding for NKCC2, cause type I Bartter syndrome, which is characterized by prenatal ..
- OS9 Protein Interacts with Na-K-2Cl Co-transporter (NKCC2) and Targets Its Immature Form for the Endoplasmic Reticulum-associated Degradation PathwayElie Seaayfan
From INSERM, Centre de Recherche des Cordeliers, U1138, Paris 75006, France, CNRS, ERL8228, Paris 75006, France, Universite Pierre et Marie Curie, Paris 75006, France, and Universite Paris Descartes, Paris 75005, France
J Biol Chem 291:4487-502. 2016Mutations in the renal specific Na-K-2Cl co-transporter (NKCC2) lead to type I Bartter syndrome, a life-threatening kidney disease featuring arterial hypotension along with electrolyte abnormalities...
- Secreted Wnt antagonist Dickkopf-1 controls kidney papilla development coordinated by Wnt-7b signallingIlkka Pietilä
Oulu Center for Cell Matrix Research, Biocenter Oulu, Laboratory of Developmental Biology and Department of Medical Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Institute of Biomedicine, University of Oulu, Finland
Dev Biol 353:50-60. 2011..Since Pax8Cre-induced Dkk1 deficiency reduced marker gene expression, Scnn1b in the collecting duct and Slc12a1 in the loop of Henle, these results together with the extended papilla phenotype are likely reasons for the ..
- Cation chloride cotransporters interact with the stress-related kinases Ste20-related proline-alanine-rich kinase (SPAK) and oxidative stress response 1 (OSR1)Kerstin Piechotta
Department of Anesthesiology and Center for Molecular Neuroscience, Vanderbilt University, Medical Center, Nashville, Tennessee 37232, USA
J Biol Chem 277:50812-9. 2002..proline-alanine-rich kinase (SPAK) and oxidative stress response 1 (OSR1) with the cotransporters KCC3, NKCC1, and NKCC2 but not KCC1 and KCC4...
- Functional properties of the apical Na+-K+-2Cl- cotransporter isoformsConsuelo Plata
Molecular Physiology Unit, Instituto de Investigaciones Biomedicas, Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México and Instituto Nacional de Ciencias Médicas y Nutrición Salvador Zubirán, Tlalpan 14000, Mexico City, Mexico
J Biol Chem 277:11004-12. 2002..When expressed in Xenopus oocytes the mBSC1-A isoform showed higher capacity of transport, with no difference in the amount of surface expression...
- Genetic dissection of sodium and potassium transport along the aldosterone-sensitive distal nephron: importance in the control of blood pressure and hypertensionBernard C Rossier
University of Lausanne, Lausanne, Switzerland
FEBS Lett 587:1929-41. 2013..This will allow to design rational strategies for the treatment of hypertension and for the development of the next generation of diuretics...
- Dietary salt intake modulates differential splicing of the Na-K-2Cl cotransporter NKCC2Ina Maria Schiessl
Institute of Physiology, Univ of Regensburg, Universitätsstr 31, 93040 Regensburg, Germany
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 305:F1139-48. 2013..loop of Henle (TAL) and macula densa salt sensing crucially depend on the function of the Na/K/2Cl cotransporter NKCC2. The NKCC2 gene gives rise to at least three different full-length NKCC2 isoforms derived from differential ..
- Novel mechanisms of Na+ retention in obesity: phosphorylation of NKCC2 and regulation of SPAK/OSR1 by AMPKMatthew Davies
Kidney Laboratory, Institute for Breathing and Sleep, University of Melbourne, Heidelberg, Victoria, Australia Department of Nephrology, University of Melbourne, Heidelberg, Victoria, Australia Department of Medicine, University of Melbourne, Heidelberg, Victoria, Australia and
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 307:F96-F106. 2014..When we examined Na(+) transporter expression, Na(+)-K(+)-2Cl(-) cotransporter (NKCC2) was unchanged in whole kidney and reduced in the cortex, Na(+)-Cl(-) cotransporter (NCC) and α-epithelial Na(+) ..
- Uromodulin retention in thick ascending limb of Henle's loop affects SCD1 in neighboring proximal tubule: renal transcriptome studies in mouse models of uromodulin-associated kidney diseaseMarion Horsch
German Mouse Clinic, Institute of Experimental Genetics, Helmholtz Zentrum München GmbH, German Research Center for Environmental Health, Neuherberg, Germany
PLoS ONE 9:e113125. 2014..This finding demonstrates that a cross talk between two functionally distinct tubular segments of the kidney, the TALH segment and the S3 segment of proximal tubule, exists. ..
- Role of Prox1 in the Transforming Ascending Thin Limb of Henle's Loop during Mouse Kidney DevelopmentYu Mi Kim
Department of Anatomy and Cell Death Disease Research Center, College of Medicine, The Catholic University of Korea, Seoul, Korea
PLoS ONE 10:e0127429. 2015..Our data show that Prox1 is expressed in the transdifferentiating region from the NKCC2-positive thick ascending limb, into the CLC-K1-positive ascending thin limb of Henle's loop beginning at embryonic ..
- Inhibition of Mitochondrial Complex-1 Prevents the Downregulation of NKCC2 and ENaCα in Obstructive Kidney DiseaseYue Zhang
1 Department of Nephrology, Nanjing Children s Hospital, Affiliated with Nanjing Medical University, Nanjing 210008, China 2 Institute of Pediatrics, Nanjing Medical University, Nanjing, China 3 Nanjing Key Laboratory of Pediatrics, Nanjing Children Hospital, Affiliated with Nanjing Medical University, Nanjing 210008, China
Sci Rep 5:12480. 2015..obstruction (UUO) for 7 days, a global reduction of sodium transporters, including NHE3, α-Na-K-ATPase, NCC, NKCC2, p-NKCC2, ENaCα, and ENaCγ, was observed, as determined via qRT-PCR and/or Western blotting...
- Increased Slc12a1 expression in β-cells and improved glucose disposal in Slc12a2 heterozygous miceSaeed Alshahrani
Department of Pharmacology and ToxicologyBoonshoft School of Medicine, Wright State University, 3640 Colonel Glenn Highway, 216 HSB, Dayton, Ohio 45435, USAPacific Northwest Diabetes Research InstituteSeattle, Washington 98122, USA
J Endocrinol 227:153-65. 2015The products of the Slc12a1 and Slc12a2 genes, commonly known as Na(+)-dependent K(+)2Cl(-) co-transporters NKCC2 and NKCC1, respectively, are the targets for the diuretic bumetanide...
- Interleukin-1 Receptor Activation Potentiates Salt Reabsorption in Angiotensin II-Induced Hypertension via the NKCC2 Co-transporter in the NephronJiandong Zhang
Division of Nephrology, Department of Medicine, Duke University and Durham VA Medical Centers, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Cell Metab 23:360-8. 2016..deficiency or blockade limits blood pressure elevation in this model by mitigating sodium reabsorption via the NKCC2 co-transporter in the nephron...
- Hepatocyte nuclear factor 1β controls nephron tubular developmentFilippo Massa
Expression Génique, Développement et Maladies EGDM Team, Inserm U1016, CNRS UMR 8104, Université Paris Descartes Institut Cochin Département deGénétique et Développement, 75014 Paris, France
Development 140:886-96. 2013..In addition, these studies define a novel structural and functional component of S-shaped bodies at the origin of tubule formation...
- Multiple evolutionarily conserved Di-leucine like motifs in the carboxyl terminus control the anterograde trafficking of NKCC2Nancy Zaarour
INSERM, Centre de Recherche des Cordeliers, UMRS872, Paris, France
J Biol Chem 287:42642-53. 2012Mutations in the apical Na-K-2Cl co-transporter, NKCC2, cause type I Bartter syndrome, a life-threatening kidney disease. Yet the mechanisms underlying the regulation of NKCC2 trafficking in renal cells are scarcely known...
- Synergistical effect of 20-HETE and high salt on NKCC2 protein and blood pressure via ubiquitin-proteasome pathwayJingjing Wu
Department of Clinical Genetics, Shengjing Hospital of China Medical University, Shenyang, Liaoning, China
Hum Genet 132:179-87. 2013..whereby diverse levels of 20-HETE interact with dietary salt on Na(+)-K(+)-2Cl(-) cotransporter, isoform 2 (NKCC2) in the kidneys of the transgenic and wild-type mice with high salt intake...
- Dicer regulates the development of nephrogenic and ureteric compartments in the mammalian kidneyVidya K Nagalakshmi
Department of Cell Biology, University of Virginia School of Medicine, Charlottesville, Virginia 22908, USA
Kidney Int 79:317-30. 2011..Furthermore, an understanding of miRNA action may provide new insights into the etiology and pathogenesis of renal cyst-based kidney disease...
- Group VIA phospholipase A2 is a target for vasopressin signaling in the thick ascending limbA Paliege
Dept of Anatomy, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Philippstrasse 12, Berlin, Germany
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 302:F865-74. 2012Na(+)-K(+)-2Cl(-) cotransporter (NKCC2)-mediated NaCl reabsorption in the thick ascending limb (TAL) is stimulated by AVP via V2 receptor/PKA/cAMP signaling...
- Expression of the basolateral Na-K-Cl cotransporter during mouse nephrogenesis and embryonic developmentGregory B Vanden Heuvel
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, University of Kansas Medical Center, Kansas City, KS 66160, USA
Gene Expr Patterns 6:1000-6. 2006..This was in contrast to Slc12a1 (NKCC2), where expression was excluded from the glomerulus. Extra-renal expression of Slc12a2 was examined in 13...
- Regulation of the NKCC2 ion cotransporter by SPAK-OSR1-dependent and -independent pathwaysCiaran Richardson
MRC Protein Phosphorylation Unit, College of Life Sciences, University of Dundee, Dow Street, Dundee DD1 5EH, UK
J Cell Sci 124:789-800. 2011..Here, we study the regulation of the NKCC2 (SLC12A1) ion cotransporter that contributes towards ~25% of renal salt re-absorption and is inhibited by loop-diuretic ..
- Cellular distribution of NKCC2 in the gastric mucosa and its response to short-term osmotic shockT Ji
Department of Physiology, School of Basic Medical Sciences, Capital Medical University, Beijing, China
Cell Tissue Res 348:155-65. 2012The Na(+)-K(+)-2Cl(-) cotransporter-2 (NKCC2) has long been recognized as a "kidney-specific" transporter and is important in salt reabsorption...
- NKCC2A and NFAT5 regulate renal TNF production induced by hypertonic NaCl intakeShoujin Hao
Dept of Pharmacology, New York Medical College, Valhalla, NY 10595, USA
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 304:F533-42. 2013..hypertonic NaCl intake increases renal TNF production by a pathway involving the Na(+)-K(+)-2Cl(-) cotransporter (NKCC2). A 2...
- Activation of the bumetanide-sensitive Na+,K+,2Cl- cotransporter (NKCC2) is facilitated by Tamm-Horsfall protein in a chloride-sensitive mannerKerim Mutig
Department of Anatomy, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Berlin, Germany
J Biol Chem 286:30200-10. 2011..transport of NaCl across thick ascending limb (TAL) epithelium is accomplished by Na(+),K(+),2Cl(-) cotransporter (NKCC2)...
- Tumor necrosis factor-alpha is an endogenous inhibitor of Na+-K+-2Cl- cotransporter (NKCC2) isoform A in the thick ascending limbSailaja Battula
Dept of Pharmacology, New York Medical College, Valhalla, NY 10595, USA
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 301:F94-100. 2011The effects of TNF gene deletion on renal Na(+)-K(+)-2Cl(-) cotransporter (NKCC2) expression and activity were determined...
- A SPAK isoform switch modulates renal salt transport and blood pressureJames A McCormick
Division of Nephrology and Hypertension, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, OR 97239 3098, USA
Cell Metab 14:352-64. 2011..An emerging model suggests that bumetanide- and thiazide-sensitive NaCl transporters (NKCC2 and NCC) along these segments are phosphorylated and activated by WNK kinases, via SPAK and OSR1...
- Impaired phosphorylation of Na(+)-K(+)-2Cl(-) cotransporter by oxidative stress-responsive kinase-1 deficiency manifests hypotension and Bartter-like syndromeShih Hua Lin
Division of Nephrology, Department of Medicine, Tri Service General Hospital, National Defense Medical Center, Taipei 114, Taiwan
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 108:17538-43. 2011Na(+)-K(+)-2Cl(-) cotransporters (NKCCs), including NKCC1 and renal-specific NKCC2, and the Na(+)-Cl(-) cotransporter (NCC) play pivotal roles in the regulation of blood pressure (BP) and renal NaCl reabsorption...
- Differential regulation of NFAT5 by NKCC2 isoforms in medullary thick ascending limb (mTAL) cellsShoujin Hao
Department of Pharmacology, New York Medical College, Valhalla, New York, USA
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 300:F966-75. 2011The effects of Na(+)-K(+)-2Cl(-) cotransporter type 2 (NKCC2) isoforms on the regulation of nuclear factor of activated T cells isoform 5 (NFAT5) were determined in mouse medullary thick ascending limb (mTAL) cells exposed to high NaCl ..
- Secretory carrier membrane protein 2 regulates exocytic insertion of NKCC2 into the cell membraneNancy Zaarour
INSERM, Centre de Recherche des Cordeliers, UMRS 872, CNRS, ERL7226, 75006 Paris, France
J Biol Chem 286:9489-502. 2011The renal-specific Na-K-2Cl co-transporter, NKCC2, plays a pivotal role in regulating body salt levels and blood pressure. NKCC2 mutations lead to type I Bartter syndrome, a life-threatening kidney disease...
- Downregulation of NCC and NKCC2 cotransporters by kidney-specific WNK1 revealed by gene disruption and transgenic mouse modelsZhen Liu
Division of Nephrology, Department of Medicine, UT Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX 75390 8856, USA
Hum Mol Genet 20:855-66. 2011..revealed reduced surface expression of total and phosphorylated NCC and the Na(+)-K(+)-2Cl(-) cotransporter NKCC2 in the distal convoluted tubule and the thick ascending limb of Henle's loop, respectively...
- The transcription factor grainyhead-like 2 regulates the molecular composition of the epithelial apical junctional complexMax Werth
Max Delbruck Center for Molecular Medicine, Robert Rossle Strasse 10, 13125 Berlin, Germany
Development 137:3835-45. 2010..Together, our data provide evidence that Grhl2 acts as a target gene-associated transcriptional activator of apical junctional complex components and, thereby, crucially participates in epithelial differentiation...
- Cation-chloride cotransporters and neuronal functionPeter Blaesse
Department of Biological and Environmental Sciences, University of Helsinki, Viikinkaari 1, FIN 00014, Helsinki, Finland
Neuron 61:820-38. 2009..The rapidly expanding work on CCCs promotes our understanding of fundamental mechanisms that control brain development and functions under normal and pathophysiological conditions...
- SORLA/SORL1 functionally interacts with SPAK to control renal activation of Na(+)-K(+)-Cl(-) cotransporter 2Juliane Reiche
Max Delbruck Center for Molecular Medicine, Charite, Universitatsmedizin, 13125 Berlin, Germany
Mol Cell Biol 30:3027-37. 2010..cellular defect was correlated with an inability of the TAL to phosphorylate Na(+)-K(+)-Cl(-) cotransporter 2 (NKCC2), the major sodium transporter in the distal nephron...
- The RNA-binding protein bicaudal C regulates polycystin 2 in the kidney by antagonizing miR-17 activityUyen Tran
Department of Cell Biology and Anatomy, LSU Health Sciences Center, MEB 6A12, 1901 Perdido Street, New Orleans, LA 70112, USA
Development 137:1107-16. 2010..Based on these data, we propose that the kidney phenotype in Bicc1(-/-) mutant mice is caused by dysregulation of a microRNA-based translational control mechanism...
- Inactivation of Notch signaling in the renal collecting duct causes nephrogenic diabetes insipidus in miceHyun Woo Jeong
Department of Biological Sciences, Seoul National University, Seoul, Republic of Korea
J Clin Invest 119:3290-300. 2009..Our data demonstrate that Notch signaling is required for the development of the mammalian renal collecting duct and principal cell differentiation and indicate that pathway dysregulation may contribute to distal renal tubular disorders...
- Macula densa control of renin secretion and preglomerular resistance in mice with selective deletion of the B isoform of the Na,K,2Cl co-transporterMona Oppermann
National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892 1370, USA
J Am Soc Nephrol 17:2143-52. 2006Na,K,2Cl co-transporter (NKCC2), the primary NaCl uptake pathway in the thick ascending limb of Henle, is expressed in three different full-length splice variants, called NKCC2F, NKCC2A, and NKCC2B...
- Molecular cloning, primary structure, and characterization of two members of the mammalian electroneutral sodium-(potassium)-chloride cotransporter family expressed in kidneyG Gamba
Harvard Center for Study of Kidney Disease, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts
J Biol Chem 269:17713-22. 1994..These proteins establish a new family of Na(+)-(K+)-Cl- cotransporters...
- Localization of the renal Na-K-Cl cotransporter gene (Slc12a1) on mouse chromosome 2S E Quaggin
Department of Internal Medicine, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06520 8029, USA
Mamm Genome 6:557-8. 1995
- Mouse chromosomal location of three epithelial sodium channel subunit genes and an apical sodium chloride cotransporter geneB G Pathak
Mammalian Genetics Laboratory, ABL Basic Research Program, NCI Frederick Cancer Research and Development Center, Frederick, Maryland, 21702, USA
Genomics 33:124-7. 1996..gamma subunit genes, Scnn1a, Scnn1b, and Scnn1g, and the thiazide-sensitive sodium chloride cotransporter gene, Slc12a1, have been mapped in the mouse using an interspecific backcross panel...
- Cloning and kidney cell-specific activity of the promoter of the murine renal Na-K-C1 cotransporter geneP Igarashi
Department of Internal Medicine, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06520
J Biol Chem 271:9666-74. 1996The murine Nkcc2/Slcl2a1 gene encodes a bumetanide-sensitive Na-K-Cl cotransporter that is expressed exclusively in the kidney in the thick ascending limb of the loop of Henle...
- Bartter's syndrome, hypokalaemic alkalosis with hypercalciuria, is caused by mutations in the Na-K-2Cl cotransporter NKCC2D B Simon
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Department of Medicine, Boyer Center for Molecular Medicine, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06510, USA
Nat Genet 13:183-8. 1996..We demonstrate linkage of Bartter's syndrome to the renal Na-K-2Cl cotransporter gene NKCC2, and identify frameshift or non-conservative missense mutations for this gene that co-segregate with the disease...
- Molecular cloning and functional expression of the K-Cl cotransporter from rabbit, rat, and human. A new member of the cation-chloride cotransporter familyC M Gillen
Department of Cellular and Molecular Physiology, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06520, USA
J Biol Chem 271:16237-44. 1996..These data demonstrate that the KCC1 cDNAs encode a widely expressed K-Cl cotransporter with the characteristics of the K-Cl transporter that has been characterized in red cells...
- Linkage mapping of the Na-K-2Cl cotransporter gene (Slc12a1) to rat chromosome 3J Wang
Department of Laboratory Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, California 94143, USA
Mamm Genome 8:379. 1997
- Isoforms of the Na-K-2Cl cotransporter in murine TAL I. Molecular characterization and intrarenal localizationD B Mount
Division of Nephrology, Department of Medicine, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, Tennessee 37232, USA
Am J Physiol 276:F347-58. 1999We have identified several alternatively spliced cDNAs encoding mBSC1, an apical bumetanide-sensitive Na+-K+-2Cl- cotransporter from mouse kidney...
- Isoforms of the Na-K-2Cl cotransporter in murine TAL II. Functional characterization and activation by cAMPC Plata
Molecular Physiology Unit, Department of Nephrology and Mineral Metabolism, Instituto Nacional de la Nutrición Salvador Zubirán and Department of Medicine, Instituto de Investigaciones Biomedicas, National University of Mexico, Mexico City, Mexico
Am J Physiol 276:F359-66. 1999The functional properties of alternatively spliced isoforms of the mouse apical Na+-K+-2Cl- cotransporter (mBSC1) were examined, using expression in Xenopus oocytes and measurement of 22Na+ or 86Rb+ uptake...
- Uncompensated polyuria in a mouse model of Bartter's syndromeN Takahashi
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine and Division of Nephrology, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC 27599, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 97:5434-9. 2000We have used homologous recombination to disrupt the mouse gene coding for the NaK2Cl cotransporter (NKCC2) expressed in kidney epithelial cells of the thick ascending limb and macula densa...
- Intrarenal and cellular localization of CLC-K2 protein in the mouse kidneyK Kobayashi
Department of Pediatrics, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, School of Medicine, 1 5 45 Yushima, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo, 113, Japan
J Am Soc Nephrol 12:1327-34. 2001..These aspects of CLC-K2 localization suggest that CLC-K2 is important in Cl(-) transport in the distal nephron segments...
- Posttranscriptional compensation for heterozygous disruption of the kidney-specific NaK2Cl cotransporter geneNobuyuki Takahashi
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599 7525, USA
J Am Soc Nephrol 13:604-10. 2002Mice homozygous for a loss of function mutation of the kidney-specific NaK2Cl cotransporter, BSC1/NKCC2, do not survive. Here the effects of loss of one copy of the gene are studied...
- Cystic renal neoplasia following conditional inactivation of apc in mouse renal tubular epitheliumChao Nan Qian
Laboratories of Cancer Genetics and Cell Signaling and Carcinogenesis, Van Andel Research Institute, Grand Rapids, Michigan 49508, USA
J Biol Chem 280:3938-45. 2005..Our results confirm an important role for proper regulation of Wnt/beta-catenin signaling in renal development and provide evidence that dysregulation of the pathway can initiate tumorigenesis in the kidney...
- Ren1c homozygous null mice are hypotensive and polyuric, but heterozygotes are indistinguishable from wild-typeNobuyuki Takahashi
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 701 Brinkhous Bullitt Building, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 7525, USA
J Am Soc Nephrol 16:125-32. 2005..These results demonstrate that renin is the only enzyme capable of maintaining plasma angiotensins and that renin expression in the kidney is very tightly regulated at the mRNA level...
- WNK3 kinase is a positive regulator of NKCC2 and NCC, renal cation-Cl- cotransporters required for normal blood pressure homeostasisJesse Rinehart
Department of Genetics, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06510, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102:16777-82. 2005..SLC12A family, we used coexpression studies in Xenopus oocytes to investigate the effect of WNK3 on NCC and NKCC2, related kidney-specific transporters that mediate apical NaCl reabsorption in the thick ascending limb and distal ..
- A highly conserved motif at the COOH terminus dictates endoplasmic reticulum exit and cell surface expression of NKCC2Nancy Zaarour
INSERM, UMRS 872 Equipe 3 ERL7226, 75006 Paris, France
J Biol Chem 284:21752-64. 2009Mutations in the apically located Na(+)-K(+)-2Cl(-) co-transporter, NKCC2, lead to type I Bartter syndrome, a life-threatening kidney disorder, yet the mechanisms underlying the regulation of mutated NKCC2 proteins in renal cells have ..
- Cardiovascular expression of the mouse WNK1 gene during development and adulthood revealed by a BAC reporter assayCeline Delaloy
INSERM, Unit 772, Paris, France
Am J Pathol 169:105-18. 2006..Despite this limitation, this transgenic model is a potentially valuable tool for the analysis of spatial and temporal aspects of WNK1 expression and regulation...
- Sequential expression of NKCC2, TonEBP, aldose reductase, and urea transporter-A in developing mouse kidneyHyun Wook Lee
Department of Anatomy, College of Medicine, The Catholic University of Korea, Seoul
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 292:F269-77. 2007This study was conducted to test the hypothesis that, during renal development, the Na-K-2Cl cotransporter type 2 (NKCC2) activates the tonicity-responsive enhancer binding protein (TonEBP) transcription factor by creating medullary ..
- Six2 is required for suppression of nephrogenesis and progenitor renewal in the developing kidneyMichelle Self
Department of Genetics and Tumor Cell Biology, St Jude Children s Research Hospital, Memphis, TN 38105 2794, USA
EMBO J 25:5214-28. 2006..We propose that in the developing kidney, Six2 activity is required for maintaining the mesenchymal progenitor population in an undifferentiated state by opposing the inductive signals emanating from the ureteric bud...
- Grainyhead-related transcription factor is required for duct maturation in the salivary gland and the kidney of the mouseYoshifumi Yamaguchi
Okazaki Institute for Integrative Biosciences, National Institutes of Natural Sciences, Myodaiji, Okazaki, 444 8787, Japan
Development 133:4737-48. 2006..Furthermore, the composition of saliva and urine was abnormal in these mice. These results indicate that Cp2l1 expression is required for normal duct development in both the salivary gland and kidney...
- The residues determining differences in ion affinities among the alternative splice variants F, A, and B of the mammalian renal Na-K-Cl cotransporter (NKCC2)Ignacio Gimenez
Department of Cellular and Molecular Physiology, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06511, USA
J Biol Chem 282:6540-7. 2007Three alternatively spliced variants of the renal Na-K-Cl cotransporter (NKCC2) are found in distinct regions of the thick ascending limb of the mammalian kidney; these variants mediate Na(+)K(+)2Cl(-) transport with different ion ..
- Renal function in mice with targeted disruption of the A isoform of the Na-K-2Cl co-transporterMona Oppermann
NIDDK, NIH, Building 10, Room 4 D51, 10 Center Drive MSC 1370, Bethesda, MD 20892 1370, USA
J Am Soc Nephrol 18:440-8. 2007Three different full-length splice isoforms of the Na-K-2Cl co-transporter (NKCC2/BSC1) are expressed along the thick ascending limb of Henle (TAL), designated NKCC2A, NKCC2B, and NKCC2F...
- Screening for increased plasma urea levels in a large-scale ENU mouse mutagenesis project reveals kidney disease modelsBernhard Aigner
Institute of Molecular Animal Breeding and BiotechnologyInstitute of Molecular Animal Breeding and Biotechnology, Ludwig Maximilians University, Munich, Germany
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 292:F1560-7. 2007....
- Pax2 and pax8 regulate branching morphogenesis and nephron differentiation in the developing kidneyMelina Narlis
McGill Cancer Centre and Biochemistry Department, McGill University, 3655 Promenade Sir William Osler, Montreal, Quebec H3G 1Y6, Canada
J Am Soc Nephrol 18:1121-9. 2007..Together, these results demonstrate a crucial role for Pax2 and Pax8 in nephron differentiation and branching morphogenesis of the metanephros...
- Norepinephrine, via beta-adrenoceptors, regulates bumetanide-sensitive cotransporter type 1 expression in thick ascending limb cellsPrajakta A Sonalker
Department of Pharmacology, Center for Clinical Pharmacology, University of Pittsburgh, School of Medicine, PA 15219, USA
Hypertension 49:1351-7. 2007....
- NKCC2 surface expression in mammalian cells: down-regulation by novel interaction with aldolase BBoubacar Benziane
INSERM U652, 75006 Paris, France
J Biol Chem 282:33817-30. 2007Apical bumetanide-sensitive Na(+)-K(+)-2Cl(-) co-transporter, termed NKCC2, is the major salt transport pathway in kidney thick ascending limb. NKCC2 surface expression is subject to regulation by intracellular protein trafficking...
- Hoxd11 specifies a program of metanephric kidney development within the intermediate mesoderm of the mouse embryoJoshua W Mugford
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA 02138, USA
Dev Biol 319:396-405. 2008..This program maintains tubule forming progenitors and instructs a metanephric specific pattern of nephron differentiation...
- Isoforms of renal Na-K-2Cl cotransporter NKCC2: expression and functional significanceHayo Castrop
Physiologisches Institut der Universität Regensburg, Universitätsstr 31, D 93040 Regensburg, Germany
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 295:F859-66. 2008..Although NKCC2 is encoded by a single gene (Slc12a1), differential splicing of the NKCC2 pre-mRNA results in the formation of several alternate transcripts...
- Cloning, embryonic expression, and alternative splicing of a murine kidney-specific Na-K-Cl cotransporterP Igarashi
Department of Internal Medicine, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06520, USA
Am J Physiol 269:F405-18. 1995A full-length cDNA encoding the murine renal Na-K-Cl cotransporter (NKCC2) was cloned using library screening and anchored polymerase chain reaction. The deduced protein sequence contained 1,095 amino acids and was 93...
- Pygo2 expands mammary progenitor cells by facilitating histone H3 K4 methylationBingnan Gu
Department of Biological Chemistry, University of California, Irvine, Irvine, CA 92697, USA
J Cell Biol 185:811-26. 2009....
- Cux-1 and cell cycle regulation in kidney developmentGregory Vanden Heuvel; Fiscal Year: 2009..4. Define the relationship between Cux-1, TLE-4, and Notch signaling during podocyte development and nephrogenesis. These studies will provide novel insights into the mechanisms of cell proliferation during development. ..