Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Six5
Description: sine oculis-related homeobox 5
Alias: Dmahp, MDMAHP, TrexBF, homeobox protein SIX5, DM locus-associated homeodomain protein homolog, sine oculis homeobox homolog 5, sine oculis-related homeobox 5 homolog
- Kobayashi M, Osanai H, Kawakami K, Yamamoto M. Expression of three zebrafish Six4 genes in the cranial sensory placodes and the developing somites. Mech Dev. 2000;98:151-5 pubmed..six4.2 is expressed in the presomitic mesoderm, somites and pectoral fin bud. six4.3 appears to be a unique member of the Six4 proteins and is expressed ubiquitously at gastrulation and later in the tectum. ..
- Coletta R, McCoy E, Burns V, Kawakami K, McManaman J, Wysolmerski J, et al. Characterization of the Six1 homeobox gene in normal mammary gland morphogenesis. BMC Dev Biol. 2010;10:4 pubmed publisher..However, because Six1 is highly expressed in the developing mammary gland, and because it has been implicated in the expansion of mammary stem cells, targeting Six1 as an anti-cancer therapy may have unwanted side effects in the breast...
- Ikeda K, Watanabe Y, Ohto H, Kawakami K. Molecular interaction and synergistic activation of a promoter by Six, Eya, and Dach proteins mediated through CREB binding protein. Mol Cell Biol. 2002;22:6759-66 pubmed..This work provides fundamental information on the role and the mechanism of action of this gene cassette in tissue differentiation and organogenesis. ..
- Kawakami K, Ohto H, Takizawa T, Saito T. Identification and expression of six family genes in mouse retina. FEBS Lett. 1996;393:259-63 pubmed..They are Six2, Six3 alpha and Six3 beta (which are derived from alternative splicing forms), Six5, and AREC3/Six4...
- Personius K, Nautiyal J, Reddy S. Myotonia and muscle contractile properties in mice with SIX5 deficiency. Muscle Nerve. 2005;31:503-5 pubmed..Heterozygous loss of SIX5 in mice causes cataracts and cardiac conduction disease, and homozygous loss also leads to sterility and decreased ..
- Himeda C, Ranish J, Angello J, Maire P, Aebersold R, Hauschka S. Quantitative proteomic identification of six4 as the trex-binding factor in the muscle creatine kinase enhancer. Mol Cell Biol. 2004;24:2132-43 pubmed..After selectively enriching for the Trex-binding factor (TrexBF) using magnetic beads coupled to oligonucleotides containing either wild-type or mutant Trex sites, quantitative ..
- Klesert T, Cho D, Clark J, Maylie J, Adelman J, Snider L, et al. Mice deficient in Six5 develop cataracts: implications for myotonic dystrophy. Nat Genet. 2000;25:105-9 pubmed..We, and others, have demonstrated that repeat expansion decreases expression of the adjacent gene SIX5 (refs 7,8), which encodes a homeodomain transcription factor...
- Spitz F, Demignon J, Porteu A, Kahn A, Concordet J, Daegelen D, et al. Expression of myogenin during embryogenesis is controlled by Six/sine oculis homeoproteins through a conserved MEF3 binding site. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1998;95:14220-5 pubmed..Altogether these results establish Six homeoproteins as a family of transcription factors controlling muscle formation through activation of one of its key regulators, myogenin. ..
- Soker T, Dalke C, Puk O, Floss T, Becker L, Bolle I, et al. Pleiotropic effects in Eya3 knockout mice. BMC Dev Biol. 2008;8:118 pubmed publisher..Therefore, future investigations of Eya3 function should focus on aging mice. ..
- Yajima H, Kawakami K. Low Six4 and Six5 gene dosage improves dystrophic phenotype and prolongs life span of mdx mice. Dev Growth Differ. 2016;58:546-61 pubmed publisher..We demonstrated previously the involvement of homeobox transcription factors, SIX1, SIX4 and SIX5, in the coordinated proliferation and differentiation of isolated satellite cells in vitro...
- Sato S, Nakamura M, Cho D, Tapscott S, Ozaki H, Kawakami K. Identification of transcriptional targets for Six5: implication for the pathogenesis of myotonic dystrophy type 1. Hum Mol Genet. 2002;11:1045-58 pubmed..The repeat expansion suppresses the expression of the homeobox gene SIX5. We describe here an experimental system to identify downstream transcriptional targets of mouse Six5 in order to ..
- Mistry D, Moorman J, Reddy S, Mounsey J. Skeletal muscle Na currents in mice heterozygous for Six5 deficiency. Physiol Genomics. 2001;6:153-8 pubmed..between the myotonic dystrophy protein kinase gene (Dmpk), which encodes a serine-threonine protein kinase, and the Six5 gene, which encodes a homeodomain protein...
- Ohto H, Takizawa T, Saito T, Kobayashi M, Ikeda K, Kawakami K. Tissue and developmental distribution of Six family gene products. Int J Dev Biol. 1998;42:141-8 pubmed..b>Six5 was the dominant isoform observed in the adult kidney, liver and lung but not in the brain...
- Kutejova E, Engist B, Mallo M, Kanzler B, Bobola N. Hoxa2 downregulates Six2 in the neural crest-derived mesenchyme. Development. 2005;132:469-78 pubmed..Furthermore, we demonstrate that Hoxa2 regulation of Six2 is confined to a 0.9 kb fragment of the Six2 promoter and that Hoxa2 binds to this promoter region. These results strongly suggest that Six2 is a direct target of Hoxa2. ..
- Nonomura K, Takahashi M, Wakamatsu Y, Takano Yamamoto T, Osumi N. Dynamic expression of Six family genes in the dental mesenchyme and the epithelial ameloblast stem/progenitor cells during murine tooth development. J Anat. 2010;216:80-91 pubmed publisher..We found dynamic expression patterns for Six1, Six2, Six4 and Six5 in the oral epithelium and mesenchymal cells with distinct expression patterns at the early stage before ..
- Heath S, Carne S, Hoyle C, Johnson K, Wells D. Characterisation of expression of mDMAHP, a homeodomain-encoding gene at the murine DM locus. Hum Mol Genet. 1997;6:651-7 pubmedWe examined the expression of the murine homologue of myotonic dystrophy associated homeodomain protein (mDMAHP) using two different strategies...