Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Sf1
Description: splicing factor 1
Alias: BBP, MZFM, WBP4, Zfp162, splicing factor 1, mammalian branch point-binding protein, transcription factor ZFM1, zinc finger gene in MEN1 locus, zinc finger protein 162
- Kinyua A, Yang D, Chang I, Kim K. Steroidogenic Factor 1 in the Ventromedial Nucleus of the Hypothalamus Regulates Age-Dependent Obesity. PLoS ONE. 2016;11:e0162352 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our data indicates that SF-1 is a key component in the VMH-mediated regulation of energy homeostasis and implies that SF-1 plays a protective role against metabolic stressors including aging and high fat diet. ..
- Vernet C, Artzt K. STAR, a gene family involved in signal transduction and activation of RNA. Trends Genet. 1997;13:479-84 pubmed..It is hypothesized that these bifunctional proteins provide a rich source of interesting molecular information about development and define a new cellular pathway that links signal transduction directly to RNA metabolism. ..
- Wrehlke C, Schmitt Wrede H, Qiao Z, Wunderlich F. Enhanced expression in spleen macrophages of the mouse homolog to the human putative tumor suppressor gene ZFM1. DNA Cell Biol. 1997;16:761-7 pubmedWe have characterized the cDNA of MZFM, the mouse homolog to the novel human putative tumor suppressor gene ZFM1. The total length of the cDNA is 2,637 nucleotides with an open reading frame for a protein of 548 amino acids containing 4...
- Ishizuka A, Hasegawa Y, Ishida K, Yanaka K, Nakagawa S. Formation of nuclear bodies by the lncRNA Gomafu-associating proteins Celf3 and SF1. Genes Cells. 2014;19:704-21 pubmed publisher..In the neuroblastoma cell line Neuro2A, Celf3 formed novel nuclear bodies (named CS bodies) that colocalized with SF1, another Gomafu-binding protein...
- Kim B, Kim Y, Sakuma R, Hui C, Ruther U, Jorgensen J. Primordial germ cell proliferation is impaired in Fused Toes mutant embryos. Dev Biol. 2011;349:417-26 pubmed publisher..From these studies, we have discovered that the Ft locus on mouse chromosome 8 is associated with cell cycle deficits within the primordial germ cell population that initiates just before translocation into the genital ridge. ..
- Amson R, Nemani M, Roperch J, Israeli D, Bougueleret L, Le Gall I, et al. Isolation of 10 differentially expressed cDNAs in p53-induced apoptosis: activation of the vertebrate homologue of the drosophila seven in absentia gene. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1996;93:3953-7 pubmed..They establish a functional link between a homologue of a conserved developmental Drosophila gene and signal transduction in tumor suppression leading to programmed cell death. ..
- Qin F, Zhang J, Zan L, Guo W, Wang J, Chen L, et al. Inhibitory effect of melatonin on testosterone synthesis is mediated via GATA-4/SF-1 transcription factors. Reprod Biomed Online. 2015;31:638-46 pubmed publisher..Overall, the data suggest that the inhibitory effects of melatonin on testosterone production are mediated via down-regulation of GATA-4 and SF-1 expression. ..
- Lavery R, Chassot A, Pauper E, Gregoire E, Klopfenstein M, de Rooij D, et al. Testicular differentiation occurs in absence of R-spondin1 and Sox9 in mouse sex reversals. PLoS Genet. 2012;8:e1003170 pubmed publisher..The dogma that considers female differentiation as a default pathway therefore needs to be definitively revised. ..
- Park S, Tong M, Jameson J. Distinct roles for steroidogenic factor 1 and desert hedgehog pathways in fetal and adult Leydig cell development. Endocrinology. 2007;148:3704-10 pubmed..Steroidogenic factor 1 (Sf1) is a transcriptional regulator of hormone biosynthesis genes, thus serving a central role in the Leydig cell...
- Roumaud P, Rwigemera A, Martin L. Transcription factors SF1 and cJUN cooperate to activate the Fdx1 promoter in MA-10 Leydig cells. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol. 2017;171:121-132 pubmed publisher..These include the nuclear receptor SF1 and SP1...
- Lee F, Faivre E, Suzawa M, Lontok E, Ebert D, Cai F, et al. Eliminating SF-1 (NR5A1) sumoylation in vivo results in ectopic hedgehog signaling and disruption of endocrine development. Dev Cell. 2011;21:315-27 pubmed publisher..We conclude that the sumoylation cycle greatly expands the functional capacity of transcription factors such as SF-1 and is leveraged during development to achieve cell-type-specific gene expression in multicellular organisms. ..
- Schimmer B, Tsao J, Cordova M, Mostafavi S, Morris Q, Scheys J. Contributions of steroidogenic factor 1 to the transcription landscape of Y1 mouse adrenocortical tumor cells. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2011;336:85-91 pubmed publisher..On a more global scale, SF-1 knockdown affects the accumulation of a large number of transcripts, most of which are not recognizably involved in steroid hormone biosynthesis. ..
- Ji S, Hao J, Li L, Zhang J, Zheng Q, Li X, et al. Expression of inhibin-alpha is regulated synergistically by Wilms' tumor gene 1 (Wt1) and steroidogenic factor-1 (Sf1) in sertoli cells. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e53140 pubmed publisher..In addition, the inhibin-? promoter is activated synergistically by Wt1 and Sf1. Mutation of the ligand binding domain (LBD) of Sf1 (residues 235-238) completely abolished the synergistic action ..
- Maatouk D, Mork L, Hinson A, Kobayashi A, McMahon A, Capel B. Germ cells are not required to establish the female pathway in mouse fetal gonads. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e47238 pubmed publisher..Since we do not find defects in the ovarian somatic program, the subsequent failure to form follicles at perinatal stages is likely attributable to the absence of germ cells rather than to defects in the somatic cells. ..
- Zhu R, Ji Y, Xiao L, Matin A. Testicular germ cell tumor susceptibility genes from the consomic 129.MOLF-Chr19 mouse strain. Mamm Genome. 2007;18:584-95 pubmed..Our data advance the use of CSS to identify disease susceptibility genes and demonstrate that the 129.MOLF-Chr19 strain serves as a useful model to elucidate the genetics and biology of germ cell transformation and tumor development. ..
- Buaas F, Gardiner J, Clayton S, Val P, Swain A. In vivo evidence for the crucial role of SF1 in steroid-producing cells of the testis, ovary and adrenal gland. Development. 2012;139:4561-70 pubmed publisherAdrenal and gonadal steroids are essential for life and reproduction. The orphan nuclear receptor SF1 (NR5A1) has been shown to regulate the expression of enzymes involved in steroid production in vitro...
- Krill K, Gurdziel K, Heaton J, Simon D, Hammer G. Dicer deficiency reveals microRNAs predicted to control gene expression in the developing adrenal cortex. Mol Endocrinol. 2013;27:754-68 pubmed publisher..Together these data suggest a role for miRNA-mediated regulation of a subset of genes that are essential for normal adrenal growth and homeostasis. ..
- Bedford M, Chan D, Leder P. FBP WW domains and the Abl SH3 domain bind to a specific class of proline-rich ligands. EMBO J. 1997;16:2376-83 pubmed
- Vasquez Y, Wu S, Anderson M, Hawkins S, Creighton C, Ray M, et al. Endometrial Expression of Steroidogenic Factor 1 Promotes Cystic Glandular Morphogenesis. Mol Endocrinol. 2016;30:518-32 pubmed publisherEpigenetic silencing of steroidogenic factor 1 (SF1) is lost in endometriosis, potentially contributing to de novo local steroidogenesis favoring inflammation and growth of ectopic endometrial tissue...
- Pelling M, Anthwal N, McNay D, Gradwohl G, Leiter A, Guillemot F, et al. Differential requirements for neurogenin 3 in the development of POMC and NPY neurons in the hypothalamus. Dev Biol. 2011;349:406-16 pubmed publisher..and loss of function studies in mice demonstrate that Ngn3+ progenitors contribute to subsets of POMC, NPY, TH and SF1 neurons and is required for the specification of these neuronal subtypes in the ventral hypothalamus...
- Luo Z, Wijeweera A, Oh Y, Liou Y, Melamed P. Pin1 facilitates the phosphorylation-dependent ubiquitination of SF-1 to regulate gonadotropin beta-subunit gene transcription. Mol Cell Biol. 2010;30:745-63 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that Pin1 functions as a novel player in GnRH-induced signal pathways and is involved in gonadotropin beta-subunit gene transcription by modulating the activity of various specific transcription factors. ..
- BÃ¼defeld T, Tobet S, Majdic G. The Influence of Gonadal Steroid Hormones on Immunoreactive Kisspeptin in the Preoptic Area and Arcuate Nucleus of Developing Agonadal Mice with a Genetic Disruption of Steroidogenic Factor 1. Neuroendocrinology. 2016;103:248-58 pubmed publisher..Further, in WT and SF-1 KO females, but not in males, adult levels were reached at P36. This suggests that maturation of the kisspeptin system in the Arc differs between sexes and is regulated by gonad-independent mechanisms. ..
- Bernard P, Ryan J, Sim H, Czech D, Sinclair A, Koopman P, et al. Wnt signaling in ovarian development inhibits Sf1 activation of Sox9 via the Tesco enhancer. Endocrinology. 2012;153:901-12 pubmed publisher..pathway inhibits the expression of Sox9 and Amh, whereas mRNA and protein levels of Sry and steroidogenic factor 1 (Sf1), two key transcriptional regulators of Sox9, are not altered...
- Wrehlke C, Wiedemeyer W, Schmitt Wrede H, Mincheva A, Lichter P, Wunderlich F. Genomic organization of mouse gene zfp162. DNA Cell Biol. 1999;18:419-28 pubmedWe report the cloning and characterization of the alternatively spliced mouse gene zfp162, formerly termed mzfm, the homolog of the human ZFM1 gene encoding the splicing factor SF1 and a putative signal transduction and activation of RNA (..
- Tremblay M, Mendoza Villarroel R, Robert N, Bergeron F, Tremblay J. KLF6 cooperates with NUR77 and SF1 to activate the human INSL3 promoter in mouse MA-10 leydig cells. J Mol Endocrinol. 2016;56:163-73 pubmed publisher..factors have been shown to activate INSL3 promoter activity: the nuclear receptors AR, NUR77, COUP-TFII and SF1. To identify additional regulators, we have isolated and performed a detailed analysis of a 1...
- Zhu L, Ke Y, Shao D, Cui Y, Qiao A, Liu X, et al. PPAR? co-activator-1? co-activates steroidogenic factor 1 to stimulate the synthesis of luteinizing hormone and aldosterone. Biochem J. 2010;432:473-83 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our findings reveal the potential role of PGC-1? and suggest that it may play important roles in steroidogenesis, gonad development and sex differentiation through SF-1. ..
- Nimura K, Ura K, Shiratori H, Ikawa M, Okabe M, Schwartz R, et al. A histone H3 lysine 36 trimethyltransferase links Nkx2-5 to Wolf-Hirschhorn syndrome. Nature. 2009;460:287-91 pubmed publisher..We propose that WHSC1 functions together with developmental transcription factors to prevent the inappropriate transcription that can lead to various pathophysiologies. ..
- Wilhelm D, Washburn L, Truong V, Fellous M, Eicher E, Koopman P. Antagonism of the testis- and ovary-determining pathways during ovotestis development in mice. Mech Dev. 2009;126:324-36 pubmed publisher..Together these findings provide important new insights into the molecular regulation of testis and ovary development. ..
- Orozco Solis R, Ramadori G, Coppari R, Sassone Corsi P. SIRT1 Relays Nutritional Inputs to the Circadian Clock Through the Sf1 Neurons of the Ventromedial Hypothalamus. Endocrinology. 2015;156:2174-84 pubmed publisher..Thus, under specific physiological conditions, SIRT1 contributes to the modulation of the circadian clock by nutrients. ..
- Liang N, Xu Y, Yin Y, Yao G, Tian H, Wang G, et al. Steroidogenic factor-1 is required for TGF-beta3-mediated 17beta-estradiol synthesis in mouse ovarian granulosa cells. Endocrinology. 2011;152:3213-25 pubmed publisher..Understanding of potential cross-points between extracellular signals affecting estrogen production will help to discover new therapeutic targets in estrogen-related diseases. ..
- Komada M, Takahashi M, Ikeda Y. Involvement of SF-1 in neurogenesis and neuronal migration in the developing neocortex. Neurosci Lett. 2015;600:85-90 pubmed publisher..5 and E18.5, but not in adult animals. Our data demonstrated that SF-1 is involved in cell cycle regulation, neurogenesis, and neuronal migration via controlling the estrogen signaling for proper neocortical development. ..
- Lindquist S, Andersson E, Lundberg L, Hernell O. Bile salt-stimulated lipase plays an unexpected role in arthritis development in rodents. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e47006 pubmed publisher..It also suggests the possibility that BSSL-neutralizing agents could serve as a therapeutic model to reduce the inflammatory response in humans. ..
- Manceau V, Kremmer E, Nabel E, Maucuer A. The protein kinase KIS impacts gene expression during development and fear conditioning in adult mice. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e43946 pubmed publisher..protein kinase KIS (product of the gene UHMK1) has been shown to phosphorylate the human splicing factor SF1 in vitro...