Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Sesn2
Description: sestrin 2
Alias: HI95, SEST2, Ses2, sestrin-2
- Kim M, Bae S, Ryu J, Kwon Y, Oh J, Kwon J, et al. SESN2/sestrin2 suppresses sepsis by inducing mitophagy and inhibiting NLRP3 activation in macrophages. Autophagy. 2016;12:1272-91 pubmed publisher..Here, we demonstrate that SESN2 (sestrin 2), known as stress-inducible protein, suppresses prolonged NLRP3 inflammasome activation by clearance of damaged ..
- Tao R, Xiong X, Liangpunsakul S, Dong X. Sestrin 3 protein enhances hepatic insulin sensitivity by direct activation of the mTORC2-Akt signaling. Diabetes. 2015;64:1211-23 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that Sesn3 can activate Akt via mTORC2 to regulate hepatic insulin sensitivity and glucose metabolism. ..
- Ro S, Semple I, Park H, Park H, Park H, Kim M, et al. Sestrin2 promotes Unc-51-like kinase 1 mediated phosphorylation of p62/sequestosome-1. FEBS J. 2014;281:3816-27 pubmed publisher..Taken together, this study identifies ULK1 as a new p62 Ser403 kinase and establishes Sestrin2 as a promoter of ULK1-mediated p62 phosphorylation. ..
- Barkic M, Crnomarković S, Grabusic K, Bogetić I, Panic L, Tamarut S, et al. The p53 tumor suppressor causes congenital malformations in Rpl24-deficient mice and promotes their survival. Mol Cell Biol. 2009;29:2489-504 pubmed publisher..Our results imply that activation of a p53-dependent checkpoint mechanism in response to various ribosomal protein deficiencies might also play a role in the pathogenesis of congenital malformations in humans. ..
- Ding B, Parmigiani A, Divakaruni A, Archer K, Murphy A, Budanov A. Sestrin2 is induced by glucose starvation via the unfolded protein response and protects cells from non-canonical necroptotic cell death. Sci Rep. 2016;6:22538 pubmed publisher..We propose that Sestrin2 protects cells from glucose starvation-induced cell death via regulation of mitochondrial homeostasis. ..
- Hao B, Pan X, Fan Y, Lu L, Qian X, Wang X, et al. Oleanolic acid attenuates liver ischemia reperfusion injury by HO-1/Sesn2 signaling pathway. Hepatobiliary Pancreat Dis Int. 2016;15:519-524 pubmed..Liver injury was evaluated by biochemical and histopathologic examinations. The expressions of Sesn2, PI3K, Akt and heme oxygenase-1 (HO-1) were measured with quantitative real-time RT-PCR and Western blotting...
- Kim J, Ro S, Kim M, Park H, Semple I, Park H, et al. Sestrin2 inhibits mTORC1 through modulation of GATOR complexes. Sci Rep. 2015;5:9502 pubmed publisher..Collectively, we elucidate a new signaling cascade composed of Sestrin2-GATOR2-GATOR1-RagB that mediates stress-dependent suppression of mTORC1 activity. ..
- Zhang C, Sun W, Li J, Xiong B, Frye M, Ding D, et al. Loss of sestrin 2 potentiates the early onset of age-related sensory cell degeneration in the cochlea. Neuroscience. 2017;361:179-191 pubmed publisherb>Sestrin 2 (SESN2) is a stress-inducible protein that protects tissues from oxidative stress and delays the aging process. However, its role in maintaining the functional and structural integrity of the cochlea is largely unknown...
- Yang Y, Cuevas S, Yang S, Villar V, Escano C, Asico L, et al. Sestrin2 decreases renal oxidative stress, lowers blood pressure, and mediates dopamine D2 receptor-induced inhibition of reactive oxygen species production. Hypertension. 2014;64:825-32 pubmed publisher..3-fold) and blood pressure. These results suggest that the D2R, via paraoxonase 2 and sestrin2, keeps normal renal redox balance, which contributes to the maintenance of normal blood pressure. ..
- Heidler J, Fysikopoulos A, Wempe F, Seimetz M, Bangsow T, Tomasovic A, et al. Sestrin-2, a repressor of PDGFR? signalling, promotes cigarette-smoke-induced pulmonary emphysema in mice and is upregulated in individuals with COPD. Dis Model Mech. 2013;6:1378-87 pubmed publisher..Here we identify the antioxidant protein sestrin-2 (SESN2) as a repressor of PDGFR? signalling, and PDGFR? signalling as an upstream regulator of alveolar maintenance ..
- Forsberg K, Wuttke A, Quadrato G, Chumakov P, Wizenmann A, Di Giovanni S. The tumor suppressor p53 fine-tunes reactive oxygen species levels and neurogenesis via PI3 kinase signaling. J Neurosci. 2013;33:14318-30 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that p53 fine-tunes endogenous ROS levels to ensure the appropriate timing of neurogenesis in eNPCs. This may also have implications for the generation of tumors of neurodevelopmental origin. ..
- Morrison A, Chen L, Wang J, Zhang M, Yang H, Ma Y, et al. Sestrin2 promotes LKB1-mediated AMPK activation in the ischemic heart. FASEB J. 2015;29:408-17 pubmed publisher..Thus, Sestrin2 plays an important role in cardioprotection against I/R injury, serving as an LKB1-AMPK scaffold to initiate AMPK activation during ischemic insults. ..
- Parmigiani A, Nourbakhsh A, Ding B, Wang W, Kim Y, Akopiants K, et al. Sestrins inhibit mTORC1 kinase activation through the GATOR complex. Cell Rep. 2014;9:1281-91 pubmed..This mechanism is potentially involved in mTORC1 regulation by amino acids, rotenone, and tunicamycin, connecting stress response with mTORC1 inhibition. ..
- Park H, Park H, Ro S, Jang I, Semple I, Kim D, et al. Hepatoprotective role of Sestrin2 against chronic ER stress. Nat Commun. 2014;5:4233 pubmed publisher..The Sestrin2-mediated unfolded protein response (UPR) may be a general protective mechanism against ER stress-associated diseases. ..
- Essler S, Dehne N, Brüne B. Role of sestrin2 in peroxide signaling in macrophages. FEBS Lett. 2009;583:3531-5 pubmed publisher..We conclude that Sestrin2 plays a role in peroxide defense as a reductase for peroxiredoxins. ..
- Quan N, Sun W, Wang L, Chen X, Bogan J, Zhou X, et al. Sestrin2 prevents age-related intolerance to ischemia and reperfusion injury by modulating substrate metabolism. FASEB J. 2017;31:4153-4167 pubmed publisherA novel stress-inducible protein, Sestrin2 (Sesn2), declines in the heart with aging. AMPK has emerged as a pertinent stress-activated kinase that has been shown to have cardioprotective capabilities against myocardial ischemic injury...
- Jegal K, Park S, Cho S, Byun S, Ku S, Kim S, et al. Activating transcription factor 6-dependent sestrin 2 induction ameliorates ER stress-mediated liver injury. Biochim Biophys Acta Mol Cell Res. 2017;1864:1295-1307 pubmed publisher..The present study investigated the role of sestrin 2 (SESN2) on ER stress and sought to elucidate the mechanism responsible for the hepatoprotective effect of SESN2 ..
- Crisol B, Lenhare L, Gaspar R, Gaspar R, MuÃ±oz V, da Silva A, et al. The role of physical exercise on Sestrin1 and 2 accumulations in the skeletal muscle of mice. Life Sci. 2018;194:98-103 pubmed publisher..Here, we evaluated the effects of acute and chronic aerobic exercise on Sestrin 1 (Sesn1) and Sesn2 protein contents in the skeletal muscle of mice...
- Zeng Y, Chi F, Xing R, Zeng J, Gao S, Chen J, et al. Sestrin2 protects the myocardium against radiation-induced damage. Radiat Environ Biophys. 2016;55:195-202 pubmed publisher..Sestrin2 involved in the regulation of cardiomyopathy (such as myocardial fibrosis) after irradiation. Overexpression of Sestrin2 might be useful in limiting radiation-induced myocardial injury. ..
- Kallenborn Gerhardt W, Lu R, Syhr K, Heidler J, von Melchner H, Geisslinger G, et al. Antioxidant activity of sestrin 2 controls neuropathic pain after peripheral nerve injury. Antioxid Redox Signal. 2013;19:2013-23 pubmed publisher..In the present study, we tested whether the stress-responsive antioxidant protein Sestrin 2 (Sesn2) blocks the ROS-induced neuropathic pain processing in vivo...
- Li H, Liu S, Yuan H, Niu Y, Fu L. Sestrin 2 induces autophagy and attenuates insulin resistance by regulating AMPK signaling in C2C12 myotubes. Exp Cell Res. 2017;354:18-24 pubmed publisher..Recently, the evolutionarily conserved, stress-inducible protein Sestrin2 (Sesn2) has been proposed to play a protective role against obesity-induced IR and diabetes...
- Kim M, Yang J, Kim K, Jang C, Jung J, Cho I, et al. Regulation of Toll-like receptor-mediated Sestrin2 induction by AP-1, Nrf2, and the ubiquitin-proteasome system in macrophages. Toxicol Sci. 2015;144:425-35 pubmed publisherThe Sestrin2 (Sesn2) is an evolutionary conserved enzyme that scavenges reactive oxygen species and regulates autophagy through the AMPK-mTOR pathway...
- Peng M, Yin N, Li M. Sestrins function as guanine nucleotide dissociation inhibitors for Rag GTPases to control mTORC1 signaling. Cell. 2014;159:122-133 pubmed publisher..These findings reveal a nonredundant mechanism by which the Sestrin family of GDIs regulates the nutrient-sensing Rag GTPases to control mTORC1 signaling. ..