Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Sele
Description: selectin, endothelial cell
Alias: CD62E, E-selectin, ELAM-1, Elam, LECAM2, E-selectin, CD62 antigen-like family member E, endothelial leukocyte adhesion molecule 1, leukocyte-endothelial cell adhesion molecule 2
- Kulidjian A, Issekutz A, Issekutz T. Differential role of E-selectin and P-selectin in T lymphocyte migration to cutaneous inflammatory reactions induced by cytokines. Int Immunol. 2002;14:751-60 pubmed..The relative contribution of the selectins varies depending on the initiating inflammatory stimulus and the genetic background. ..
- Norton C, Rumberger J, Burns D, Wolitzky B. Characterization of murine E-selectin expression in vitro using novel anti-mouse E-selectin monoclonal antibodies. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1993;195:250-8 pubmed..These mAbs have been used to characterize the expression and function of E-selectin on cytokine stimulated eEnd.2 murine endothelial cells. ..
- Staite N, Justen J, Sly L, Beaudet A, Bullard D. Inhibition of delayed-type contact hypersensitivity in mice deficient in both E-selectin and P-selectin. Blood. 1996;88:2973-9 pubmed..Both P- and E-selectin are likely to play important roles in the development and maintenance of inflammatory diseases. ..
- Smith M, Olson T, Ley K. CXCR2- and E-selectin-induced neutrophil arrest during inflammation in vivo. J Exp Med. 2004;200:935-9 pubmed..These data show that E-selectin- and chemokine-mediated arrest mechanisms are overlapping in this model and identify CXCR2 as an important neutrophil arrest chemokine in vivo. ..
- Kohler S, Ullrich S, Richter U, Schumacher U. E-/P-selectins and colon carcinoma metastasis: first in vivo evidence for their crucial role in a clinically relevant model of spontaneous metastasis formation in the lung. Br J Cancer. 2010;102:602-9 pubmed publisher..As the human HT 29 colon cancer cells are positive for the lectin Helix pomatia agglutinin (HPA), which identified the metastatic phenotype in earlier clinical studies, these results are of particular clinical relevance. ..
- Stübke K, Wicklein D, Herich L, Schumacher U, Nehmann N. Selectin-deficiency reduces the number of spontaneous metastases in a xenograft model of human breast cancer. Cancer Lett. 2012;321:89-99 pubmed publisher..However, spontaneous metastasis was not completely abrogated, hence additional cell adhesion molecules must be involved in the metastatic spread. ..
- Frenette P, Mayadas T, Rayburn H, Hynes R, Wagner D. Susceptibility to infection and altered hematopoiesis in mice deficient in both P- and E-selectins. Cell. 1996;84:563-74 pubmed..Our results show that the absence of endothelial selectins severely affects leukocyte homeostasis and indicate that these two selectins are as important for normal leukocyte function as are the leukocyte beta2 integrins...
- Hidalgo A, Peired A, Wild M, Vestweber D, Frenette P. Complete identification of E-selectin ligands on neutrophils reveals distinct functions of PSGL-1, ESL-1, and CD44. Immunity. 2007;26:477-489 pubmed publisher..These results suggest distinct and dynamic contributions of these three glycoproteins in selectin-mediated neutrophil adhesion and signaling. ..
- Zöllner O, Lenter M, Blanks J, Borges E, Steegmaier M, Zerwes H, et al. L-selectin from human, but not from mouse neutrophils binds directly to E-selectin. J Cell Biol. 1997;136:707-16 pubmed..The clear difference between human and mouse L-selectin suggests that E-selectin-binding carbohydrate moieties are attached to different protein scaffolds in different species. ..
- Bullard D, Kunkel E, Kubo H, Hicks M, Lorenzo I, Doyle N, et al. Infectious susceptibility and severe deficiency of leukocyte rolling and recruitment in E-selectin and P-selectin double mutant mice. J Exp Med. 1996;183:2329-36 pubmed..These mice provide strong evidence for the functional importance of selectins in vivo. ..
- Tietz W, Allemand Y, Borges E, von Laer D, Hallmann R, Vestweber D, et al. CD4+ T cells migrate into inflamed skin only if they express ligands for E- and P-selectin. J Immunol. 1998;161:963-70 pubmed..These data indicate that the expression of functional ligands for E- and for P-selectin is essential for homing of CD4+ T cells into the inflamed skin. ..
- Zarbock A, Lowell C, Ley K. Spleen tyrosine kinase Syk is necessary for E-selectin-induced alpha(L)beta(2) integrin-mediated rolling on intercellular adhesion molecule-1. Immunity. 2007;26:773-83 pubmed..This identifies a second neutrophil-activation pathway that is as important as activation through G protein-coupled receptors (GPCRs). ..
- Labow M, Norton C, Rumberger J, Lombard Gillooly K, Shuster D, Hubbard J, et al. Characterization of E-selectin-deficient mice: demonstration of overlapping function of the endothelial selectins. Immunity. 1994;1:709-20 pubmed..These data have important implications in the use of selectin antagonists in the treatment of inflammatory disease. ..
- Hickey M, Granger D, Kubes P. Molecular mechanisms underlying IL-4-induced leukocyte recruitment in vivo: a critical role for the alpha 4 integrin. J Immunol. 1999;163:3441-8 pubmed
- Bertoja A, Zenclussen M, Casalis P, Sollwedel A, Schumacher A, Woiciechowsky C, et al. Anti-P- and E-selectin therapy prevents abortion in the CBA/J x DBA/2J combination by blocking the migration of Th1 lymphocytes into the foetal-maternal interface. Cell Immunol. 2005;238:97-102 pubmed..Our data first confirm the important role of P-selectin in mediating the extravasation of abortive cells, while opening new therapeutic opportunities. ..
- Mizgerd J, Bullard D, Hicks M, Beaudet A, Doerschuk C. Chronic inflammatory disease alters adhesion molecule requirements for acute neutrophil emigration in mouse skin. J Immunol. 1999;162:5444-8 pubmed
- Hammel M, Weitz Schmidt G, Krause A, Moll T, Vestweber D, Zerwes H, et al. Species-specific and conserved epitopes on mouse and human E-selectin important for leukocyte adhesion. Exp Cell Res. 2001;269:266-74 pubmed..The data suggest that E-selectin-ligand engagement differs between lymphocytes and PMN, and that these differences may be accentuated by the CR1 and CR2 domains in the E-selectin cell adhesion molecule. ..
- Billups K, Sherley J, Palladino M, Tindall J, Roberts K. Evidence for E-selectin complement regulatory domain mRNA splice variants in the rat. J Lab Clin Med. 1995;126:580-7 pubmed..This difference in mRNA abundance may indicate different levels of CR5 variant proteins that perform functionally distinct tasks in E-selectin dependent inflammatory processes. ..
- Kelner G, Kennedy J, Bacon K, Kleyensteuber S, Largaespada D, Jenkins N, et al. Lymphotactin: a cytokine that represents a new class of chemokine. Science. 1994;266:1395-9 pubmed..The gene encoding lymphotactin maps to chromosome one. Taken together, these observations suggest that lymphotactin represents a novel addition to the chemokine superfamily. ..
- Schneeberger E, Vu Q, LeBlanc B, Doerschuk C. The accumulation of dendritic cells in the lung is impaired in CD18-/- but not in ICAM-1-/- mutant mice. J Immunol. 2000;164:2472-8 pubmed..The alternative pathway may involve VLA-4/VCAM-1 in arteries and venules but not in capillaries. The smaller defect in ICAM-1-/- mice suggests that the CD11/CD18 complex recognizes ligands other than ICAM-1 at some sites. ..
- Matsumoto M, Shigeta A, Furukawa Y, Tanaka T, Miyasaka M, Hirata T. CD43 collaborates with P-selectin glycoprotein ligand-1 to mediate E-selectin-dependent T cell migration into inflamed skin. J Immunol. 2007;178:2499-506 pubmed..Collectively, these results demonstrate that the CD43 expressed on activated T cells functions as an E-selectin ligand and thereby mediates T cell migration to inflamed sites, in collaboration with PSGL-1. ..
- McGinty A, Clarkson M, Brady H. The value of gene 'knock-out' for assessing the role of cell adhesion molecules in renal disease. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 1999;14 Suppl 1:27-9 pubmed
- Lukacs N, John A, Berlin A, Bullard D, Knibbs R, Stoolman L. E- and P-selectins are essential for the development of cockroach allergen-induced airway responses. J Immunol. 2002;169:2120-5 pubmed..The findings indicate that both P- and E-selectin contribute to CRA-induced peribronchial inflammation and airway hyperreactivity. ..
- Reinhardt R, Bullard D, Weaver C, Jenkins M. Preferential accumulation of antigen-specific effector CD4 T cells at an antigen injection site involves CD62E-dependent migration but not local proliferation. J Exp Med. 2003;197:751-62 pubmed..potential accumulated preferentially at the site of antigen injection but only in recipients that expressed CD62E. Surprisingly, these T cells did not proliferate in the injection site despite showing evidence of more cell ..
- Billups K, Palladino M, Hinton B, Sherley J. Expression of E-selectin mRNA during ischemia/reperfusion injury. J Lab Clin Med. 1995;125:626-33 pubmed..molecular and cellular processes involved in tissue inflammation, we have examined expression of endothelial leukocyte adhesion molecule 1 (E-selectin) mRNA in adult male rats after ischemia/reperfusion (I/R) injury and after ..
- Abeynaike L, Deane J, Westhorpe C, Chow Z, Alikhan M, Kitching A, et al. Regulatory T cells dynamically regulate selectin ligand function during multiple challenge contact hypersensitivity. J Immunol. 2014;193:4934-44 pubmed publisher..These findings demonstrate that in this multiple challenge model of inflammation, Treg selectin binding capacity and the molecular basis of Treg rolling can be regulated dynamically. ..
- Underhill G, Fornek J, Witte P, Kansas G, Minges Wols H. IgG plasma cells display a unique spectrum of leukocyte adhesion and homing molecules. Blood. 2002;99:2905-12 pubmed..These results demonstrate a unique adhesion profile for murine IgG plasma cells. Furthermore, the E/P(-/-) mice represent a novel system to isolate and purify significant numbers of primary IgG plasma cells. ..
- Chen T, Guo Z, Wang L, Qin S, Cao N, Li M, et al. Paeoniflorin suppresses vascular damage and the expression of E-selectin and ICAM-1 in a mouse model of cutaneous Arthus reaction. Exp Dermatol. 2013;22:453-7 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that PF, as an anti-inflammatory agent, can downregulate adhesion molecules expression. PF may be a candidate medicine for the treatment of IC-induced inflammatory response. ..
- Biedermann T, Schwärzler C, Lametschwandtner G, Thoma G, Carballido Perrig N, Kund J, et al. Targeting CLA/E-selectin interactions prevents CCR4-mediated recruitment of human Th2 memory cells to human skin in vivo. Eur J Immunol. 2002;32:3171-80 pubmed
- Tu L, Poe J, Kadono T, Venturi G, Bullard D, Tedder T, et al. A functional role for circulating mouse L-selectin in regulating leukocyte/endothelial cell interactions in vivo. J Immunol. 2002;169:2034-43 pubmed..These results suggest that sL-selectin influences lymphocyte migration in vivo and that the increased sL-selectin levels present in certain pathologic conditions may adversely affect leukocyte migration. ..
- Yago T, Shao B, Miner J, Yao L, Klopocki A, Maeda K, et al. E-selectin engages PSGL-1 and CD44 through a common signaling pathway to induce integrin alphaLbeta2-mediated slow leukocyte rolling. Blood. 2010;116:485-94 pubmed publisher..Thus, E-selectin triggers common signals through distinct neutrophil glycoproteins to induce alpha(L)beta(2)-dependent slow rolling. ..
- Sathiyanadan K, Coisne C, Enzmann G, Deutsch U, Engelhardt B. PSGL-1 and E/P-selectins are essential for T-cell rolling in inflamed CNS microvessels but dispensable for initiation of EAE. Eur J Immunol. 2014;44:2287-94 pubmed publisher..Taken together with previous observations, our findings show that T-cell rolling is not required for successful T-cell entry into the CNS and initiation of EAE. ..
- Nakatani K, Asai O, Sakan H, Yoshimoto S, Terada M, Nose M, et al. Association between E-selectin expression and histopathological modification of glomerular lesions by non-nephritogenic IgM antibodies in experimental lupus nephritis. Mod Rheumatol. 2014;24:808-15 pubmed publisher..The histopathological modification of lupus nephritis by non-nephritogenic bystander IgM antibodies is associated in part with glomerular E-selectin expression. ..
- Bélanger S, St Pierre Y. Role of selectins in the triggering, growth, and dissemination of T-lymphoma cells: implication of L-selectin in the growth of thymic lymphoma. Blood. 2005;105:4800-6 pubmed..These results provide definitive evidence that selectins play a significant role at different steps of T-cell lymphoma development. ..
- Araki M, Araki K, Miyazaki Y, Iwamoto M, Izui S, Yamamura K, et al. E-selectin binding promotes neutrophil activation in vivo in E-selectin transgenic mice. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1996;224:825-30 pubmed..These observations indicate that the binding of E-selection with neutrophils bearing its ligands promotes neutrophil activation in vivo. ..
- de Mora F, Williams C, Frenette P, Wagner D, Hynes R, Galli S. P- and E-selectins are required for the leukocyte recruitment, but not the tissue swelling, associated with IgE- and mast cell-dependent inflammation in mouse skin. Lab Invest. 1998;78:497-505 pubmed
- Cavanagh L, Bonasio R, Mazo I, Halin C, Cheng G, van der Velden A, et al. Activation of bone marrow-resident memory T cells by circulating, antigen-bearing dendritic cells. Nat Immunol. 2005;6:1029-37 pubmed..Moreover, using this previously unknown migratory pathway, antigen-pulsed DCs were able to trigger central memory T cell-mediated recall responses in the bone marrow. ..
- Matsumoto M, Atarashi K, Umemoto E, Furukawa Y, Shigeta A, Miyasaka M, et al. CD43 functions as a ligand for E-Selectin on activated T cells. J Immunol. 2005;175:8042-50 pubmed..These results suggest that CD43, when modified by a specific set of glycosyltranferases, can function as an E-selectin ligand and therefore potentially mediate activated T cell migration into inflamed sites. ..
- Lysiak J, Nguyen Q, Kirby J, Turner T. Ischemia-reperfusion of the murine testis stimulates the expression of proinflammatory cytokines and activation of c-jun N-terminal kinase in a pathway to E-selectin expression. Biol Reprod. 2003;69:202-10 pubmed..This provides the first evidence of a cytokine/stress-related kinase signaling pathway to E-selectin expression in vivo. ..
- Ghaderian S, Lindsey N, Graham A, Homer Vanniasinkam S, Akbarzadeh Najar R. Pathogenic mechanisms in varicose vein disease: the role of hypoxia and inflammation. Pathology. 2010;42:446-53 pubmed publisher..Finally, results already obtained in this investigation suggest that the process of pathogenesis of varicose veins is not restricted to the role of adhesion molecules. ..
- Zuchtriegel G, Uhl B, Hessenauer M, Kurz A, Rehberg M, Lauber K, et al. Spatiotemporal expression dynamics of selectins govern the sequential extravasation of neutrophils and monocytes in the acute inflammatory response. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2015;35:899-910 pubmed publisher..glycoprotein ligand-1/CD162 initiate the emigration of neutrophils, de novo synthesis of endothelial E-selectin/CD62E launches the delayed secondary recruitment of inflammatory monocytes...
- Munoz F, Hawkins E, Bullard D, Beaudet A, Kaplan S. Host defense against systemic infection with Streptococcus pneumoniae is impaired in E-, P-, and E-/P-selectin-deficient mice. J Clin Invest. 1997;100:2099-106 pubmed..These results demonstrate a definitive phenotypic abnormality in E-selectin-deficient mice, and suggest that E- and P-selectin are important in the host defense against S. pneumoniae infection. ..
- Horikawa M, Fujimoto M, Hasegawa M, Matsushita T, Hamaguchi Y, Kawasuji A, et al. E- and P-selectins synergistically inhibit bleomycin-induced pulmonary fibrosis. Am J Pathol. 2006;169:740-9 pubmed..These results suggest that E- and P-selectins synergistically inhibit lung fibrosis by promoting the recruitment of NKT cells. ..
- Jung U, Ley K. Mice lacking two or all three selectins demonstrate overlapping and distinct functions for each selectin. J Immunol. 1999;162:6755-62 pubmed..We conclude that any one of the selectins can support some neutrophil recruitment but eliminating all three selectins significantly impairs neutrophil recruitment. ..
- Carlow D, Ziltener H. CD43 deficiency has no impact in competitive in vivo assays of neutrophil or activated T cell recruitment efficiency. J Immunol. 2006;177:6450-9 pubmed
- Harris N, Peters L, Eicher E, Rits M, Raspberry D, Eichbaum Q, et al. The exon-intron structure and chromosomal localization of the mouse macrophage mannose receptor gene Mrc1: identification of a Ricin-like domain at the N-terminus of the receptor. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1994;198:682-92 pubmed..Like its human counterpart, Mrc1 contains 30 exons and 29 introns. A protein module that resembles a subdomain of the B chain of the plant lectin Ricin has been found within the N-terminal cysteine-rich domain of the mannose receptor. ..
- Forlow S, Ley K. Selectin-independent leukocyte rolling and adhesion in mice deficient in E-, P-, and L-selectin and ICAM-1. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2001;280:H634-41 pubmed..Comparison of our data with mice lacking individual or other combinations of adhesion molecules reveal that elimination of more adhesion molecules further reduces leukocyte recruitment but the effect is less than additive...
- Alcaide P, Maganto Garcia E, Newton G, Travers R, CROCE K, Bu D, et al. Difference in Th1 and Th17 lymphocyte adhesion to endothelium. J Immunol. 2012;188:1421-30 pubmed publisher..These data provide evidence that E-selectin- and ICAM-1-dependent adhesion of Th17 and Th1 cells with endothelium are quantitatively different. ..
- Kaifi J, Hall L, Diaz C, Sypek J, Diaconu E, Lass J, et al. Impaired eosinophil recruitment to the cornea in P-selectin-deficient mice in Onchocerca volvulus keratitis (River blindness). Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2000;41:3856-61 pubmed..The purpose of this study was to determine the relative contribution of P- and E-selectin in recruitment of these inflammatory cells from limbal vessels to the corneal stroma...
- Hickey M, Bullard D, Issekutz A, James W. Leukocyte-endothelial cell interactions are enhanced in dermal postcapillary venules of MRL/fas(lpr) (lupus-prone) mice: roles of P- and E-selectin. J Immunol. 2002;168:4728-36 pubmed..Furthermore, the data suggest that the endothelial selectins share overlapping roles in mediating this enhanced leukocyte recruitment. ..
- McCafferty D, Smith C, Granger D, Kubes P. Intestinal inflammation in adhesion molecule-deficient mice: an assessment of P-selectin alone and in combination with ICAM-1 or E-selectin. J Leukoc Biol. 1999;66:67-74 pubmed..In fact, increased mortality was observed. Anti-adhesion therapy may play only a limited, beneficial role and often a detrimental role in intestinal inflammation. ..
- Komura K, Hasegawa M, Hamaguchi Y, Saito E, Kaburagi Y, Yanaba K, et al. Ultraviolet light exposure suppresses contact hypersensitivity by abrogating endothelial intercellular adhesion molecule-1 up-regulation at the elicitation site. J Immunol. 2003;171:2855-62 pubmed..These results indicate that UV exposure inhibits CHS by abrogating up-regulation of endothelial ICAM-1 expression after Ag challenge at elicitation sites. ..
- Ley K, Allietta M, Bullard D, Morgan S. Importance of E-selectin for firm leukocyte adhesion in vivo. Circ Res. 1998;83:287-94 pubmed..We conclude that slow leukocyte rolling through E-selectin results in long transit times, which are essential for efficient leukocyte adhesion in response to a local chemotactic stimulus. ..
- Ellies L, Tsuboi S, Petryniak B, Lowe J, Fukuda M, Marth J. Core 2 oligosaccharide biosynthesis distinguishes between selectin ligands essential for leukocyte homing and inflammation. Immunity. 1998;9:881-90 pubmed..These studies indicate that core 2 oligosaccharide biosynthesis segregates the physiologic roles of selectins and reveal a function for the C2 GlcNAcT in myeloid homeostasis and inflammation. ..
- Curtis J, Sonstein J, Craig R, Todt J, Knibbs R, Polak T, et al. Subset-specific reductions in lung lymphocyte accumulation following intratracheal antigen challenge in endothelial selectin-deficient mice. J Immunol. 2002;169:2570-9 pubmedWe previously demonstrated induction and expression of CD62E and CD62P in the lungs of mice primed and then challenged with intratracheal (i.t.) SRBC...
- Lebensburger J, Howard T, Hu Y, Pestina T, Gao G, Johnson M, et al. Hydroxyurea therapy of a murine model of sickle cell anemia inhibits the progression of pneumococcal disease by down-modulating E-selectin. Blood. 2012;119:1915-21 pubmed publisher..These data indicate that in addition to induction of fetal hemoglobin, hydroxyurea attenuates leukocyte-endothelial interactions in sickle cell anemia, resulting in protection against lethal pneumococcal sepsis. ..
- Kwee L, Burns D, Rumberger J, Norton C, Wolitzky B, Terry R, et al. Creation and characterization of E-selectin- and VCAM-1-deficient mice. Ciba Found Symp. 1995;189:17-28; discussion 28-34, 77-8 pubmed..Analysis of VCAM-1 gene expression in wild-type embryos and phenotypic analysis of VCAM-1 -/- embryos suggests that VCAM-1 is required for development of the extraembryonic circulatory system and the embryonic heart. ..
- Ishii T, Fujita T, Matsushita T, Yanaba K, Hasegawa M, Nakashima H, et al. Establishment of experimental eosinophilic vasculitis by IgE-mediated cutaneous reverse passive arthus reaction. Am J Pathol. 2009;174:2225-33 pubmed publisher..The IgE-mediated cutaneous reverse passive Arthus reaction may serve as an experimental model for cutaneous eosinophilic infiltration in vasculitis as well as in other diseases...
- Su Y, Lei X, Wu L, Liu L. The role of endothelial cell adhesion molecules P-selectin, E-selectin and intercellular adhesion molecule-1 in leucocyte recruitment induced by exogenous methylglyoxal. Immunology. 2012;137:65-79 pubmed publisher..Our results reveal the role of endothelial cell adhesion molecules in MG-induced leucocyte recruitment in microvasculature, an inflammatory condition related to diabetic vascular complications...
- Weaving L, Mihelec M, Storen R, Sosic D, Grigg J, Tam P, et al. Twist2: role in corneal stromal keratocyte proliferation and corneal thickness. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2010;51:5561-70 pubmed publisher..Twist2 is required for normal corneal keratocyte proliferation and eyelid morphogenesis in the mouse. Loss of Twist2 function leads to corneal thinning because of the reduction in stromal keratocyte proliferation. ..
- Li Y, Muruve D, Collins R, Lee S, Kubes P. The role of selectins and integrins in adenovirus vector-induced neutrophil recruitment to the liver. Eur J Immunol. 2002;32:3443-52 pubmed..In conclusion, adenovirus vectors induce rapid neutrophil-mediated inflammation in the post-sinusoidal venules by selectins and alpha(4)-integrin but surprisingly not by CD18. ..
- Oh I, Yoon C, Hur J, Kim J, Kim T, Lee C, et al. Involvement of E-selectin in recruitment of endothelial progenitor cells and angiogenesis in ischemic muscle. Blood. 2007;110:3891-9 pubmed..But this impaired vasculogenesis was rescued by sE-selectin. In conclusion, these data demonstrate E-selectin is a pivotal molecule for EPCs' homing to ischemic limb and vasculogenesis. ..
- Suzuki H, Suzuki Y, Yamanaka T, Hirose S, Nishimura H, Toei J, et al. Genome-wide scan in a novel IgA nephropathy model identifies a susceptibility locus on murine chromosome 10, in a region syntenic to human IGAN1 on chromosome 6q22-23. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2005;16:1289-99 pubmed..In conclusion, the three-group ddY mouse model can be a useful tool for identifying the susceptibility genes and also to examine their roles in the pathogenesis of IgAN...
- Underhill G, Kolli K, Kansas G. Complexity within the plasma cell compartment of mice deficient in both E- and P-selectin: implications for plasma cell differentiation. Blood. 2003;102:4076-83 pubmed
- Forlow S, White E, Thomas K, Bagby G, Foley P, Ley K. T cell requirement for development of chronic ulcerative dermatitis in E- and P-selectin-deficient mice. J Immunol. 2002;169:4797-804 pubmed..We conclude that a dysregulated immune response in E(-/-)P(-/-) mice causes disease development, but is not necessary for elevated neutrophil counts. ..
- Robinson S, Frenette P, Rayburn H, Cummiskey M, Ullman Cullere M, Wagner D, et al. Multiple, targeted deficiencies in selectins reveal a predominant role for P-selectin in leukocyte recruitment. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1999;96:11452-7 pubmed..Data from the ELP(-/-) mice indicate, however, that all three selectins are important to leukocyte homeostasis and efficient neutrophil recruitment. ..
- Eriksson E. No detectable endothelial- or leukocyte-derived L-selectin ligand activity on the endothelium in inflamed cremaster muscle venules. J Leukoc Biol. 2008;84:93-103 pubmed publisher..These data demonstrate that expression of L-selectin on leukocytes is insufficient for mediating rolling and efficient recruitment of leukocytes in inflammation. ..
- Döring A, Wild M, Vestweber D, Deutsch U, Engelhardt B. E- and P-selectin are not required for the development of experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis in C57BL/6 and SJL mice. J Immunol. 2007;179:8470-9 pubmed..Thus, E- and P-selectin are not required for leukocyte recruitment across the BBB and the development of EAE in C57BL/6 and in SJL mice. ..
- Hiratsuka S, Goel S, Kamoun W, Maru Y, Fukumura D, Duda D, et al. Endothelial focal adhesion kinase mediates cancer cell homing to discrete regions of the lungs via E-selectin up-regulation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:3725-30 pubmed publisher..Thus, localized activation of endothelial FAK and E-selectin in the lung vasculature mediates the initial homing of metastatic cancer cells to specific foci in the lungs. ..
- Sullivan V, Hawley A, Farris D, Knipp B, Varga A, Wrobleski S, et al. Decrease in fibrin content of venous thrombi in selectin-deficient mice. J Surg Res. 2003;109:1-7 pubmed
- Bevilacqua M, Butcher E, Furie B, Gallatin M, Gimbrone M, Harlan J, et al. Selectins: a family of adhesion receptors. Cell. 1991;67:233 pubmed
- O I, Otvos L, Kieber Emmons T, Blaszczyk Thurin M. Role of SA-Le(a) and E-selectin in metastasis assessed with peptide antagonist. Peptides. 2002;23:999-1010 pubmed..The data suggest the critical role of carbohydrate antigens and E-selectin in metastasis and that peptides mimicking carbohydrate antigens can function as antagonists of this process. ..
- Hauselmann I, Roblek M, Protsyuk D, Huck V, Knopfova L, Grässle S, et al. Monocyte Induction of E-Selectin-Mediated Endothelial Activation Releases VE-Cadherin Junctions to Promote Tumor Cell Extravasation in the Metastasis Cascade. Cancer Res. 2016;76:5302-12 pubmed publisher..These findings provide evidence that endothelial E-selectin is a novel factor contributing to endothelial retraction required for efficient lung metastasis. Cancer Res; 76(18); 5302-12. ©2016 AACR. ..
- Mendez Ferrer S, Lucas D, Battista M, Frenette P. Haematopoietic stem cell release is regulated by circadian oscillations. Nature. 2008;452:442-7 pubmed publisher..These data indicate that a circadian, neurally driven release of HSC during the animal's resting period may promote the regeneration of the stem cell niche and possibly other tissues. ..
- Hidalgo A, Frenette P. Enforced fucosylation of neonatal CD34+ cells generates selectin ligands that enhance the initial interactions with microvessels but not homing to bone marrow. Blood. 2005;105:567-75 pubmed
- Bandyopadhyay S, de La Motte C, Williams B. Induction of E-selectin expression by double-stranded RNA and TNF-alpha is attenuated in murine aortic endothelial cells derived from double-stranded RNA-activated kinase (PKR)-null mice. J Immunol. 2000;164:2077-83 pubmed
- Tang T, Frenette P, Hynes R, Wagner D, Mayadas T. Cytokine-induced meningitis is dramatically attenuated in mice deficient in endothelial selectins. J Clin Invest. 1996;97:2485-90 pubmed