Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Scp2
Description: sterol carrier protein 2, liver
Alias: AA409774, AA409893, C76618, C79031, NSL-TP, SCP-2, SCP-X, SCPX, ns-LTP, non-specific lipid-transfer protein, SCP-chi, nonspecific lipid transfer protein, propanoyl-CoA C-acyltransferase, sterol carrier protein X
- Lopez D, Niesen M, Bedi M, Hale D, McLean M. Activation of the SCPx promoter in mouse adrenocortical Y1 cells. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2007;357:549-53 pubmedb>Sterol carrier protein X (SCPx) is a peroxisomal protein with both lipid transfer and thiolase activity. Treatment of mouse adrenal Y1 cells with cAMP for 24h caused a significant induction of SCPx mRNA levels...
- Landrock D, Atshaves B, McIntosh A, Landrock K, Schroeder F, Kier A. Acyl-CoA binding protein gene ablation induces pre-implantation embryonic lethality in mice. Lipids. 2010;45:567-80 pubmed publisher..The fact that ACBP is the first known intracellular lipid binding protein whose deletion results in embryonic lethality suggests its vital importance in mammals. ..
- Storey S, Atshaves B, McIntosh A, Landrock K, Martin G, Huang H, et al. Effect of sterol carrier protein-2 gene ablation on HDL-mediated cholesterol efflux from cultured primary mouse hepatocytes. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2010;299:G244-54 pubmed publisher..slow cholesterol efflux pools and/or eliciting concomitant upregulation of L-FABP in cultured primary hepatocytes...
- Milligan S, Martin G, Landrock D, McIntosh A, Mackie J, Schroeder F, et al. Impact of dietary phytol on lipid metabolism in SCP2/SCPX/L-FABP null mice. Biochim Biophys Acta Mol Cell Biol Lipids. 2017;1862:291-304 pubmed publisher..suggest that liver fatty acid binding protein (L-FABP) and sterol carrier protein-2/sterol carrier protein-x (SCP2/SCPx) gene products facilitate uptake and metabolism and detoxification of dietary-derived phytol in mammals...
- Martin G, Atshaves B, Landrock K, Landrock D, Schroeder F, Kier A. Loss of L-FABP, SCP-2/SCP-x, or both induces hepatic lipid accumulation in female mice. Arch Biochem Biophys. 2015;580:41-9 pubmed publisher..For example, ablating SCP2/SCP-x induces upregulation of L-FABP in female mice...
- Gallegos A, Atshaves B, Storey S, Schoer J, Kier A, Schroeder F. Molecular and fluorescent sterol approaches to probing lysosomal membrane lipid dynamics. Chem Phys Lipids. 2002;116:19-38 pubmed
- Amigo L, Zanlungo S, Miquel J, Glick J, Hyogo H, Cohen D, et al. Hepatic overexpression of sterol carrier protein-2 inhibits VLDL production and reciprocally enhances biliary lipid secretion. J Lipid Res. 2003;44:399-407 pubmed..These effects suggest a key regulatory role for SCP-2 in hepatic lipid metabolism and the existence of a reciprocal relationship between the fluxes of lipids across the sinusoidal and canalicular membranes. ..
- Atshaves B, Gallegos A, McIntosh A, Kier A, Schroeder F. Sterol carrier protein-2 selectively alters lipid composition and cholesterol dynamics of caveolae/lipid raft vs nonraft domains in L-cell fibroblast plasma membranes. Biochemistry. 2003;42:14583-98 pubmed
- Atshaves B, Storey S, Schroeder F. Sterol carrier protein-2/sterol carrier protein-x expression differentially alters fatty acid metabolism in L cell fibroblasts. J Lipid Res. 2003;44:1751-62 pubmed..In summary, these data showed for the first time that SCP-2 and SCP-x stimulate oxidation and esterification of branched-chain as well as straight-chain fatty acids in intact cells. ..
- Fuchs M, Hafer A, Munch C, Kannenberg F, Teichmann S, Scheibner J, et al. Disruption of the sterol carrier protein 2 gene in mice impairs biliary lipid and hepatic cholesterol metabolism. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:48058-65 pubmedHepatic up-regulation of sterol carrier protein 2 (Scp2) in mice promotes hypersecretion of cholesterol into bile and gallstone formation in response to a lithogenic diet...
- Martin G, Danneberg H, Kumar L, Atshaves B, Erol E, Bader M, et al. Decreased liver fatty acid binding capacity and altered liver lipid distribution in mice lacking the liver fatty acid-binding protein gene. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:21429-38 pubmed
- Klipsic D, Landrock D, Martin G, McIntosh A, Landrock K, Mackie J, et al. Impact of SCP-2/SCP-x gene ablation and dietary cholesterol on hepatic lipid accumulation. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2015;309:G387-99 pubmed publisher..These alterations are significant findings, since they affect key processes in regulation of sterol metabolism. ..
- Fuchs M, Lammert F, Wang D, Paigen B, Carey M, Cohen D. Sterol carrier protein 2 participates in hypersecretion of biliary cholesterol during gallstone formation in genetically gallstone-susceptible mice. Biochem J. 1998;336 ( Pt 1):33-7 pubmed..Because cytosolic sterol carrier protein 2 (SCP2) is believed to participate in cellular cholesterol trafficking and is elevated in the liver cytosol of cholesterol ..
- Li N, Fan J, Papadopoulos V. Sterol Carrier Protein-2, a Nonspecific Lipid-Transfer Protein, in Intracellular Cholesterol Trafficking in Testicular Leydig Cells. PLoS ONE. 2016;11:e0149728 pubmed publisher..The Scp2 gene encodes the 58 kDa sterol carrier protein-x (SCPX) and 15 kDa pro-SCP2 proteins, both of which contain a 13 kDa SCP2 domain in their C-termini...
- Seedorf U, Engel T, Assmann G, Leenders F, Adamski J. Intrinsic sterol- and phosphatidylcholine transfer activities of 17 beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type IV. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol. 1995;55:549-53 pubmed..peroxisomal 3-ketoacyl CoA thiolase with intrinsic sterol and phospholipid transfer activity called sterol carrier protein x (SCPx)...
- Myers Payne S, Fontaine R, Loeffler A, Pu L, Rao A, Kier A, et al. Effects of chronic ethanol consumption on sterol transfer proteins in mouse brain. J Neurochem. 1996;66:313-20 pubmed..Changes in the amount of SCP-2 may contribute to membrane tolerance to ethanol. ..
- Kolodner R, Hall N, Lipford J, Kane M, Rao M, Morrison P, et al. Structure of the human MSH2 locus and analysis of two Muir-Torre kindreds for msh2 mutations. Genomics. 1994;24:516-26 pubmed
- Storey S, Huang H, McIntosh A, Martin G, Kier A, Schroeder F. Impact of Fabp1/Scp-2/Scp-x gene ablation (TKO) on hepatic phytol metabolism in mice. J Lipid Res. 2017;58:1153-1165 pubmed publisher..These findings suggested that: 1) SCP-2 and FABP1 both facilitated phytol metabolism after its conversion to phytanic acid; and 2) SCP-2/SCP-x had a greater impact on hepatic phytol metabolism than FABP1. ..
- Murphy E. Sterol carrier protein-2: not just for cholesterol any more. Mol Cell Biochem. 2002;239:87-93 pubmed..Hence, expression of SCP-2 increased fatty acid uptake and targeted fatty acid to unique lipid pools, suggesting that SCP-2 may effectively serve as universal fatty acid binding and trafficking protein. ..
- Seedorf U, Raabe M, Ellinghaus P, Kannenberg F, Fobker M, Engel T, et al. Defective peroxisomal catabolism of branched fatty acyl coenzyme A in mice lacking the sterol carrier protein-2/sterol carrier protein-x gene function. Genes Dev. 1998;12:1189-201 pubmedGene targeting in mice was used to investigate the unknown function of Scp2, encoding sterol carrier protein-2 (SCP2; a peroxisomal lipid carrier) and sterol carrier protein-x (SCPx; a fusion protein between SCP2 and a peroxisomal ..
- Atshaves B, McIntosh A, Payne H, Gallegos A, Landrock K, Maeda N, et al. SCP-2/SCP-x gene ablation alters lipid raft domains in primary cultured mouse hepatocytes. J Lipid Res. 2007;48:2193-211 pubmed
- Storey S, McIntosh A, Huang H, Landrock K, Martin G, Landrock D, et al. Intracellular cholesterol-binding proteins enhance HDL-mediated cholesterol uptake in cultured primary mouse hepatocytes. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2012;302:G824-39 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results suggest that L-FABP, particularly in the absence of SCP-2, plays a significant role in HDL-mediated cholesterol uptake in cultured primary hepatocytes. ..
- Martin G, Atshaves B, Landrock K, Landrock D, Storey S, Howles P, et al. Ablating L-FABP in SCP-2/SCP-x null mice impairs bile acid metabolism and biliary HDL-cholesterol secretion. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2014;307:G1130-43 pubmed publisher..Conversely, SCP-2/SCP-x may function more in formation and biliary secretion of bile acid, with less impact on hepatic uptake or biliary secretion of HDL-cholesterol. ..
- Seedorf U, Raabe M, Assmann G. Cloning, expression and sequences of mouse sterol-carrier protein-x-encoding cDNAs and a related pseudogene. Gene. 1993;123:165-72 pubmed..Therefore, our results indicate that at least some of the multiple restriction fragments which are detected by Southern hybridization analyses with SCP-x cDNA-derived probes can be explained by cross-hybridization with a pseudogene. ..
- Moncecchi D, Pastuszyn A, Scallen T. cDNA sequence and bacterial expression of mouse liver sterol carrier protein-2. J Biol Chem. 1991;266:9885-92 pubmed
- McIntosh A, Storey S, Huang H, Kier A, Schroeder F. Sex-dependent impact of Scp-2/Scp-x gene ablation on hepatic phytol metabolism. Arch Biochem Biophys. 2017;635:17-26 pubmed publisher..Thus, the loss of Scp-2/Scp-x contributed to a sex-dependent hepatic accumulation of dietary phytol and BCFA. ..
- Milligan S, Martin G, Landrock D, McIntosh A, Mackie J, Schroeder F, et al. Ablating both Fabp1 and Scp2/Scpx (TKO) induces hepatic phospholipid and cholesterol accumulation in high fat-fed mice. Biochim Biophys Acta Mol Cell Biol Lipids. 2018;1863:323-338 pubmed publisherAlthough singly ablating Fabp1 or Scp2/Scpx genes may exacerbate the impact of high fat diet (HFD) on whole body phenotype and non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD), concomitant upregulation of the non-ablated gene, preference for ad ..
- Atshaves B, McIntosh A, Martin G, Landrock D, Payne H, Bhuvanendran S, et al. Overexpression of sterol carrier protein-2 differentially alters hepatic cholesterol accumulation in cholesterol-fed mice. J Lipid Res. 2009;50:1429-47 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these findings support an important role for SCP-2 in hepatic cholesterol homeostasis...
- Huyghe S, Casteels M, Janssen A, Meulders L, Mannaerts G, Declercq P, et al. Prenatal and postnatal development of peroxisomal lipid-metabolizing pathways in the mouse. Biochem J. 2001;353:673-80 pubmed
- Kannenberg F, Ellinghaus P, Assmann G, Seedorf U. Aberrant oxidation of the cholesterol side chain in bile acid synthesis of sterol carrier protein-2/sterol carrier protein-x knockout mice. J Biol Chem. 1999;274:35455-60 pubmed..Osumi, T., and Hashimoto, T. (1987) J. Biol. Chem. 262, 8151-8158) and the recently discovered 60-kDa SCPx thiolase, that consists of an N-terminal domain with beta-ketothiolase activity and a C-terminal moiety of sterol ..
- Raabe M, Seedorf U, Hameister H, Ellinghaus P, Assmann G. Structure and chromosomal assignment of the murine sterol carrier protein 2 gene (Scp2) and two related pseudogenes by in situ hybridization. Cytogenet Cell Genet. 1996;73:279-81 pubmedThe murine sterol carrier protein 2 gene (Scp2) has been mapped to chromosome 4C5-->D1 by in situ hybridization. This location is syntenic with the locus of SCP2 on human chromosome 1p32...